PDA

View Full Version : Economy tipping into recession.

30 cal slut
09-30-11, 07:22
A very reliable (and carefully watched) economic outfit - Economic Cycle Research Institute (ECRI) stated this morning that we are tipping into recession.

I am probably posting to you what is apparently obvious to everybody, but in my mind this is about as official as it gets, given ECRI's near-perfect track record of predicting recessions. The outfit's long-leading growth index for the US has been tanking for months now. Apparently, the intensity and duration of this downturn (starting in June), along with a flood of alarm bells prompted ECRI to make the call this morning.

We don’t make these calls lightly. When we make them, it’s because there’s an overwhelming objective message coming out of our forward-looking indicators. What is going on with the leading indicators is wildfire; it’s not reversible.

I have been tracking ECRI for over ten of fifteen years in my career as an investment securities analyst on Wall Street. I have never heard Lakshman Achuthan speak in the gloomy tone that he did this morning.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-30/u-s-is-heading-toward-another-recession-ecri-s-achuthan-says-tom-keene.html

U.S. Tipping Into Another Recession, Achuthan Says: Tom Keene 2011-09-30 13:17:29.726 GMT

By Liz Capo McCormick

Sept. 30 (Bloomberg) -- The world’s largest economy is showing signs of slumping, said the Economic Cycle Research Institute’s Lakshman Achuthan, citing leading indicators.

“The U.S. economy is tipping into a new recession,” Achuthan, the group’s chief operations officer in New York, said in a radio interview today on “Bloomberg Surveillance” with Tom Keene and Ken Prewitt. “You have wildfire among the leading indicators across the board. Non-financial services plunging, manufacturing plunging, exports plunging. That is such a deadly combination.”

The Federal Reserve’s efforts to support the economy, including holding its benchmark rate at virtually zero since December 2008 and expanding its balance sheet to a record $2.88 trillion -- have done little to reduce unemployment that has hovered around 9 percent since April 2009 or to revive the housing market.

“We at least have a couple of quarters of worsening economy in front of us,” Achuthan said. “So if you think this is a bad economy, you haven’t seen anything yet.”

For Related News and Information:
Top Stories: TOP <GO>
Top Fixed-Income News: TOP BON <GO>
Bond Yield Forecasts: BYFC <GO>
Top Italian news: ITAT <GO>

--Editors: Dennis Fitzgerald, Paul Cox

To contact the reporter on this story:
Liz Capo McCormick in New York at +1-212-617-7416 or emccormick7@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Dave Liedtka at +1-212-617-8988 or dliedtka@bloomberg.net

Nathan_Bell
09-30-11, 07:28
Fact of the matter is that we haven't left the first one. The 'recovery' to the extent we had one was built upon Bernanke's QE2 pumping. Pull his shit out and we never quit having negative growth.

We will not get out of the current depression until the government is cut by 1/3 and regulations by about 100K pages.

Story isn't up yet, but I just listened to Bloomberg Radio this morning.

A very reliable (and carefully watched) economic outfit - Economic Cycle Research Institute (ECRI) stated this morning that we are tipping into recession.

I'll have the article up shortly - info is very fresh.

I am probably posting to you what is apparently obvious to everybody, but in my mind this is about as official as it gets, given ECRI's near-perfect track record of predicting recessions. The outfit's long-leading growth index for the US has been tanking for months now. Apparently, the intensity and duration of this downturn (starting in June), along with a flood of alarm bells prompted ECRI to make the call this morning.

I have been tracking ECRI for over ten of fifteen years in my career as an investment securities analyst on Wall Street. I have never heard Lakshman Achuthan speak in the gloomy tone that he did this morning.

More to be posted soon.

Ironman8
09-30-11, 07:29
Aren't we already in a recession? (Despite what the libs say)....wouldn't the next step be depression?

30 cal slut
09-30-11, 08:13
Fact of the matter is that we haven't left the first one. The 'recovery' to the extent we had one was built upon Bernanke's QE2 pumping.

A lot of people don't realize that we are already in the midst of "QE3." The Fed recently made the decision to keep rates at near-zero percent for the next 2 years - to keep rates there, further debt monetization is required.

When the stock market starts panicking on a flood of bad news in 1Q12 (right after the new year), the Fed will step in with "official" QE3 and likely QE4 after that.

VooDoo6Actual
09-30-11, 08:17
WE have already been in one.

Due to people believing mainstream media & most people NOT being autonomous & capable of independant thought is how we got there.....

Just take two of these & everything will be OK.....

It is a slow choke that started in 06' in reality. Some could even say further back than that.

GermanSynergy
09-30-11, 09:25
This is the 3rd summer of recovery! :jester:

Belmont31R
09-30-11, 09:39
They'll just have to change how certain figures are calculated which will then show we're doing great. Just like how often they report a figure, and then a month later issue the revised number which is much worse. Sorta like a newspaper issuing a retraction way in the back that takes up two lines when they got a front page story wrong.

NWPilgrim
09-30-11, 12:52
Fact of the matter is that we haven't left the first one. The 'recovery' to the extent we had one was built upon Bernanke's QE2 pumping. Pull his shit out and we never quit having negative growth.

We will not get out of the current depression until the government is cut by 1/3 and regulations by about 100K pages.

Absolutely true. And we all know how that chicken bone will go down for our politicians of nearly every stripe, and 51% of Americans (including the dead, illegals, and repeat voters). Doom on us.

ForTehNguyen
09-30-11, 14:17
we never got out of the recession from the stock market bubble, we just traded that one out for a new bubble - housing. Govt is trying to do it again with the next bubble - US Treasuries.

Nathan_Bell
09-30-11, 15:11
we never got out of the recession from the stock market bubble, we just traded that one out for a new bubble - housing. Govt is trying to do it again with the next bubble - US Treasuries.

Nope, we have to have the college loan bubble burst before that one. You have to destroy and de-legitimatize then entire system, at least that is what Cloward-Piven decided.

Belmont31R
09-30-11, 18:05
Nope, we have to have the college loan bubble burst before that one. You have to destroy and de-legitimatize then entire system, at least that is what Cloward-Piven decided.

The gov took over student loans in 2010.

ForTehNguyen
09-30-11, 21:29
college loans is another bubble but nothing compared to the bubble in US Treasuries

4x4twenty6
09-30-11, 21:42
If QE3 happens we will absolutely see a huge drop in the value of the dollar and even more countries will start dumping any large quantity of US currency and also stop accepting it. I hope we dont end up like Britain in the 60's with huge inflation rates as the dollar is no longer accepted as the worlds currency.

**** i gotta start stocking up!

Heavy Metal
09-30-11, 21:43
If QE3 happens we will absolutely see a huge drop in the value of the dollar and even more countries will start dumping any large quantity of US currency and also stop accepting it. I hope we dont end up like Britain in the 60's with huge inflation rates as the dollar is no longer accepted as the worlds currency.

**** i gotta start stocking up!

Naaah....foutunately for the US Dollar, the Euro is collapsing.

ForTehNguyen
09-30-11, 21:52
both are collapsing but all eyes are on the Euro. Someday there will be no confidence in both

4x4twenty6
09-30-11, 22:30
Heavy Metal: No doubt but i dont think we are far behind with the way things are going. The current administration still has far too much time left further **** things up. I have lost all faith in their ability to fix the problems.

Belmont31R
09-30-11, 22:38
both are collapsing but all eyes are on the Euro. Someday there will be no confidence in both

If you look the European countries who have exports are doing well, and those who rely on domestic spending and tourism are doing poor. Germany has tons of modern production and exportation. The shit countries like Greece having nothing. So they are relying on the productive countries to salvage the non producers.