PDA

View Full Version : What's The MOST Reliable EO Tech Model ??

dpast32
09-30-11, 10:36
Hello Guys,

I'm looking into setting up a "perimeter carbine", & IT MUST have an EO Tech HWS on top of it. Yes, I KNOW that a great many folks prefer the AimPoint series over the EO Tech's, but the fact remains that IT MUST & WILL have an EO Tech HWS on it !! So, with that fact in mind, I need to sort through all the anecdotes, statements, & opinions that are currently floating around out there regarding the EO Tech series as a whole, & DETERMINE WHICH MODEL(S) of EO Tech appears to be the most reliable / useful of the bunch. As with any purchase these days, item price is always an issue, but not to the point of my having to select the "cheapest" model just to save a few dollars. ONE of my PRIMARY CONCERNS pertains to the battery contact pont(s), which I understand to be of concern in some models. Unit size / weight isn't an issue, & the basic 65/1MOA reticle should be just fine for our purposes. So basically, I'm really looking for an EO Tech HWS model that is "as reliable & as upgraded" as the current series has been made to be. Although some may disagree, I prefer to use the CR123 battery, as oppossed to the AA type. Why, because many of our currently issued items run off the CR123 type, which will keep battery resupply much simpler. At 1st glance, I focused on the Model 516, as it appeared to offer many of the features I was seeking. ( I'd prefer 33' of waterproofing, but the 516 is only rated at 10'. Honestly though, the 10' should prove to be adequate, but it's always nice to go a little overboard. ) So, based upon the issues & concerns I've noted above, I'd deeply appreciate any additional information that would assist me in choosing the correct model of EO Tech HWS for it's intended purpose. THANK YOU !!!

Regards, dpast32

Hmac
09-30-11, 10:56
I think that the XPS/EXPS models have eliminated the reported problems with battery contacts as seen in some of the Eotech models with inline batteries. There has been a reported issue with failures of CR123 batteries, presumably from bending of the center of the case under repeated recoil, but it certainly doesn't appear to be a broad-based problem and IMHO is likely to vary among battery mfgrs. Stay away from Chinese-made CR123's. I have 3 Eotech EXPS models, use Surefire batteries, and haven't seen a problem in thousands of rounds.

I believe that the Eotech OPMOD (http://www.opticsplanet.net/l3-eotech-opmod-exps2-holographic-sights-limited-edition-red-dot-sights-exps2-0-opmod.html) represent the best bang-for-buck. It's built on Eotech's EXPS3 chassis, but is cheaper as the night vision capability is not implemented. It's waterproof to 33 feet. Note that Optics Planet labels it EXPS2, but it's actually an EXPS3. Only available from Optics Planet.

Chameleox
09-30-11, 12:46
What he said. I wish I had looked at the OPMOD before I bought my EOTech XPS2. Side mounted switching to get around a magnifier (are you considering one?), decent waterproofing, and built in riser make this a nice package. I've seen a few EO's fail, but never an XPS; if you must go EOTech, go with one of these.

I only run Surefire batteries in all of my work/ tactical lights (my optic takes a different battery but its a non-issue). I see what you mean about power source commonality. Between two in a MIAD grip and one in a stubby vertical grip, you can cover all your spare battery needs, if so inclined.

Failure2Stop
09-30-11, 14:16
I have an EXPS and it has done fine for me, but I have less than 2,000 rounds on mine (it was a test).
There are quite a few reports of 123s breaking in the optic.
The issue seems to be related to non-premium batteries, but I don't think that many 123 manufacturers built them to deal with lateral recoil force.
The 553s seem to work well once the battery fix is implemented, but you have to deal with the ARMS levers. They may or may not properly tension on your receiver, and their failures are well documented.

So the choice you have to make is this:
Possibly have a 123 rupture inside your optic, or possibly have it fall of your gun. Now, I'm not saying that either will happen, simply that those are the known issues with those models.

Good luck, shoot hard.

patriot_man
09-30-11, 14:52
I am currently running an EXPS3-0 which has 4,000 rounds through it to this day. I run Surefire or Panasonic batteries through it.

Did have a 553 before, it was good but the ARMS levers... Tried to clamp front lever onto my RIS II and was stubborn as hell and the rear lever clamped way too easily onto my LMT upper for me too feel comfortable with...