PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster

InnKeeper6
09-30-11, 16:05
I just bought a Bushmaster with all the magpul gear on it to add to my growing collection, and I am completely stumped after having it for two days. I have noticed that the Bolt was rough textured which I heard was common but threw me off a little. I haven't never had one act like this. It would fire 3 to 5 rounds and then it would put a slight dent in the primer but not enough to fire it, I would eject the round than again same thing. Thinking it was the ammo I switched and still the same thing. I was using Remington, PMC, and Federal ammunition when I was shooting it. I have thought about buying a new BGC to see if that solves the problemAnybody have any thoughts on what it might be?

Belmont31R
09-30-11, 16:10
I just bought a Bushmaster with all the magpul gear on it to add to my growing collection, and I am completely stumped after having it for two days. I have noticed that the Bolt was rough textured which I heard was common but threw me off a little. I haven't never had one act like this. It would fire 3 to 5 rounds and then it would put a slight dent in the primer but not enough to fire it, I would eject the round than again same thing. Thinking it was the ammo I switched and still the same thing. I was using Remington, PMC, and Federal ammunition when I was shooting it. I have thought about buying a new BGC to see if that solves the problemAnybody have any thoughts on what it might be?

Yes I do...

I just bought a Bushmaster

Light primer strikes can be a few things. Change out the cheapest first which would be a firing pin, hammer spring, and then work your way up to bolts and BCG's.

mvician
09-30-11, 16:18
Are you referring to a slight dent in the primer after you chamber a round but do not go ahead and shoot that round? Or are you pulling the trigger and getting a light hit that is not igniting the round?

totenkopf_u64
09-30-11, 16:21
I've read that light strikes could be an excessive headspace issue. Is that far more rare than a pin or hammer spring issue?

Is your rifle grouping well, Innkeeper?

InnKeeper6
09-30-11, 16:22
Are you referring to a slight dent in the primer after you chamber a round but do not go ahead and shoot that round? Or are you pulling the trigger and getting a light hit that is not igniting the round?

Pulling the trigger and getting a light hit that is not igniting the round, and that was with all the ammo I tried not just one.

InnKeeper6
09-30-11, 16:26
I've read that light strikes could be an excessive headspace issue. Is that far more rare than a pin or hammer spring issue?

Is your rifle grouping well, Innkeeper?

Yeah it shoots pretty good when it works and my groupings are as good as can be with just iron sights on it, getting about 1.5 to 2 in groups.

totenkopf_u64
09-30-11, 16:30
Inspect the firing pin for deformation. Also, if your bolt is really rough, you could check to make sure that the firing pin moves freely.

Otherwise, refer to Belmont's post.

TXBob
09-30-11, 16:41
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

This thread gives details on "bringing things up to spec" and may detail some improvements you can make w/o ripping your hair out for a new purchase.

devinsdad
09-30-11, 18:54
Did you buy the rifle new? Call Bushy and have them troubleshoot and repair the rifle under warranty. No since buying parts for a new rifle. If you got it used, check the firing pin for correct length. Some have been known to wear early.

Eric
09-30-11, 19:21
One of the more common reasons for a light primer strike is an incorrectly installed hammer spring. It is possible to put it in up-side-down and have it function intermittently, but there is inadequate spring pressure for reliable ignition. Check to see that the hammer spring is installed like the one in the photo. Note that the legs on the spring come from underneath and ride on top of the trigger pin.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/IMG_5660.jpg