PDA

View Full Version : Glock 22 Gen 3 or Gen 4 is the question

dtibbals
09-30-11, 21:00
So I have been shooting Glock's since they first came out and have owned Gen 1-3 in 9mm, 40 and 45acp. I currently have all Gen 3 9mm in 17's and 26's. In the past I have had a lot of 40's in 22 and 27 and never had any issues.

I bought a new Glock 22 Gen 3 yesterday and pick it up Sunday afternoon. My question is should I keep the new Gen 3 I bought or swap it out for a Gen 4 G22? I plan on keeping all my 9mm in Gen 3 but since this is a 40cal I have mixed feelings on what I have been reading. In 40 cal is the Gen 3 or Gen 4 better?

Your comments please.

Thanks,
David

Alaskapopo
09-30-11, 22:26
So I have been shooting Glock's since they first came out and have owned Gen 1-3 in 9mm, 40 and 45acp. I currently have all Gen 3 9mm in 17's and 26's. In the past I have had a lot of 40's in 22 and 27 and never had any issues.

I bought a new Glock 22 Gen 3 yesterday and pick it up Sunday afternoon. My question is should I keep the new Gen 3 I bought or swap it out for a Gen 4 G22? I plan on keeping all my 9mm in Gen 3 but since this is a 40cal I have mixed feelings on what I have been reading. In 40 cal is the Gen 3 or Gen 4 better?

Your comments please.

Thanks,
David

Never shot the Gen 4 40 but my friends who T&E them for the Alaska State Troopers love them and said recoil was noticably less. I would give it a try over the Gen 3. I also tried a gen 4 Glock 17 and plan on getting one myself.
Pat

dtibbals
09-30-11, 22:33
Never shot the Gen 4 40 but my friends who T&E them for the Alaska State Troopers love them and said recoil was noticably less. I would give it a try over the Gen 3. I also tried a gen 4 Glock 17 and plan on getting one myself.
Pat

Do you know if the Gen 3 and Gen 4 use the same magazine?

Alaskapopo
09-30-11, 22:37
Do you know if the Gen 3 and Gen 4 use the same magazine?

Gen 4 can use all mags but you just can't flip the magazine release around for left hand use with older mags.
Pat

No Bananas
09-30-11, 22:44
I have had my Gen 4 Glock 22 for about a year. I have about 900 rds. through it. No malfunctions. It's accurate and I like the features and stuff on the Gen 4, but I wouldn't swap it out your Gen 3 for a Gen 4 unless you really didn't like the Gen 3 for some odd reason. Besides, it's a great excuse to buy another pistol in a few months!!!:happy:

packinaglock
10-01-11, 08:19
In .40 cal I have the gen 4 27 &23 and both have been flawless. My 9mm's are gen 3 with the exeception of a gen 4 26. The only Glock I ever had issues with was a G30 sf. I think the .40 cal. Glocks are good to go.

Heavy Metal
10-01-11, 08:59
Remember,

They broke the 9s trying to fix the 40s.

Hopefully, they did actually properly test the changes to the 40 since they(the 40s) were the whole reason for this exercise. The 9s got the changes for logistical reasons I suspect. Trying to minimize the number of different assemblies and parts on-hand.

warpedcamshaft
10-01-11, 21:19
I have fired both generations of Glock extensively in 9mm and 40 S&W.

I think the Gen4 has the potential to become a better 40 S&W platform than the Gen3.

I would expect the new spring configuration to produce a longer service life, and the Gen4 40 S&W's I have fired work well with rail mounted lights. Glock has issued a recoil spring recall/exchange, and has supposedly designed new EJECTORS for the Gen 4 guns. Some agencies/owners were reporting erratic ejection, and the word is that Glock is replacing ejectors on some people's Gen4 (9 and 40) guns.

I personally did notice a difference in recoil in the Gen4 40's. The Gen 3 guns seemed to "bottom out" due to the 9mm hand-me-down recoil spring. The heavier dual spring in the Gen4 feels a little smoother and doesn't have the same "snappy" feeling of the slide ramming something solid. This change may enhance the longevity of the pistol, despite the fact that even the Gen3 Glocks 40's were exceptionally durable.

warpedcamshaft
10-01-11, 21:23
I would only switch if the rail light reliability is a deal breaker for you, or if you find the recoil to be super "snappy."

dtibbals
10-03-11, 23:11
Well I went in and picked up my pistol today. I ended up going with the Glock 22 Gen 4. It was a tough call after reading all the issues. I spoke to a friend on Sunday who is a LEO and is now issued a Gen 4 22 and has had zero issues over the last year. He also has a light mounted on it at all times.

So I took a gamble on it. I purchased 300 rounds of Federal 180 grain brass case and 500 rounds of Winchester Ranger 180 bonded JHP. I shot all the Federal and 100 of the Ranger and it ran 100%. We tried it upside down and every angle you can imagine and it ran 100%. Took it out of the box and shot it, didn't do anything to the pistol including no lube. I shot it with 2 fingers and again was 100%. We shot at pieces of clay targets at 30 yards and had no issues having one shot hits. We also shot at tall weeds and did split a few like a weed-wacker. The pistol is not only reliable but crazy accurate! This is probably the 40th+ Glock I have owned over my lifetime and now is one of 5 I currently own. Very happy with it so far, I don't foresee any issues with the pistol going forward.

On a side note the Serial number is a RYH prefix and date of manufacture is 8/19/11. I would hope this is the most current production with any changes already incorporated into the pistol.

David

warpedcamshaft
10-04-11, 11:37
The new ejectors for the 9mm/40 S&W Gen4's have a twist in them... The older 40 cal. ones were straight pins.

davidz71
10-04-11, 22:30
I purchased my Gen 4 model 22 8/2010 and have only 200 trouble free rounds out of it so far. I just haven't had much time to shoot it but have been concentrating on shooting my AR. My replacement spring for the recall arrived today and visually looked the same as the one it replaces except for the 0-1-4 designation rather than just the 0-1 on the end of the recoil spring assembly. I'll try to shoot 100 rounds out of it before sending the recalled spring back.

Doxiedad
10-05-11, 05:14
Thinking about trading my Gen 3 G22 on a Gen 4 G22 or maybe G23. Need to see if the LGS has them to rent so I can try them out first. Glad to hear you like yours.

Doc Safari
12-09-11, 11:30
Bumping this one to the top. For the first time in years I am seriously considering another Glock 22.

I worked in law enforcement during the 1990's and my agency just happened to purchase a bunch of Glock 22's around they time they were famous for kabooming. I traded mine for a G17 and never went back to 40 S&W.

Now I hear comments, including those in this thread, that even though Glock FUBAR'ed the Gen 4 9mm Glocks in an attempt to fix the 40's, it may be (?) that the Gen 4 Glock 40 S & W's are the best they've ever designed.

True? Or myth busted?

I'd like to hear more about the good/bad of Gen 4 Glock 22's.

Quentin
12-09-11, 14:21
Personally I think Glock's Gen 4 .40S&Ws are their best ever. I have a late G22 Gen 2 (Jan 1997) that's fine but I have to say the G23 Gen 4 I bought early this year is a better gun. Smoother in every way and just as reliable. I like the short frame (without backstraps) and the new design RSA does seem to tame recoil slightly.

I'm not going to replace the old G22 but if I did it would be with a Gen 4. I also have a G27 Gen 3 but probably won't be upgrading it either. Tempting to do so on both older .40s but then I have to practically give away the better sights installed on them and I hate to move from a gun that I already trust.

I hope Glock has sorted out the problems in recent production 9mm Gen 4s. Guess we'll find out soon enough. I wouldn't mind getting one but not now.