PDA

View Full Version : ArmaLite Canadian Sniper - What am I looking at?

camus
10-01-11, 01:14
First off I don't know much w/ .308 on the AR platform, it seems most are looking at LMT et al.
I will have the chance to check one of these out next week and am curious on anyone's experiences, thoughts etc.

http://www.762sass.com/product.php?p=493&cid=9&session=d0fedd016c659edc2a5c672efd016f94

Run? Hide? Worth the time?

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-01-11, 02:09
I've never heard of the Canadian solicitation or program. Sounds like a SASS rifle. Armalite doesn't get discussed here much- positively or negatively- I don't know why.

Not like it is any cheaper than a MWS??

mildot
10-01-11, 10:15
That doesn't look like the rifles we used in 05, here is a pic.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76/mildot326/Darrinspics015.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76/mildot326/Darrinspics013.jpg

dudley2112
10-03-11, 11:11
i believe these are from a canadian navy contract, i was talking with a guy that does allot of long range shooting instruction up here and he was bitching about how the navy had bought a new semi auto 7.62 DM/sniper rifle and how it was a random out from left field choice. I really wouldnt be surprised to see that the CF had bought Armalite instead of a KAC or LMT, they do all sorts of messed up things when it comes to procurement.

JPB
10-03-11, 21:56

Mildot, do you have any experience with these Armalite contract rifles. I'm curious to hear how the Canadians like or don't like them. How they perform overall etc...

In that dress, the things are darn long.

JPB
10-03-11, 22:00
i believe these are from a canadian navy contract, i was talking with a guy that does allot of long range shooting instruction up here and he was bitching about how the navy had bought a new semi auto 7.62 DM/sniper rifle and how it was a random out from left field choice. I really wouldnt be surprised to see that the CF had bought Armalite instead of a KAC or LMT, they do all sorts of messed up things when it comes to procurement.

The LMT didn't exist when the selection was made and the KAC product has had more than it's fair share of mixed reviews.

KevinB
10-05-11, 18:57
Canada came out with a IOR (Immediate Operational Requirement) for 18 (yeah 18) 24" Semi-Auto Sniper Rifles for use in Afghanistan in late 2003.

KAC would not built a 24" gun (I know I tried to get them to do it) as part of the SOCOM feedback on the early 24" SR-25 Match Rifles certain units bought in the 1992-1993 period was cut the barrel to 20 at least.

DPMS, Armalite and another vendor submitted rifles. Armalite was chosen.

In around 2007 the Badger handguard was dropped (I got out of the CF in 2005 so my specific timeframe is foggy).

Canadian Special Operations also had some semi guns from various manufacturers.

The Canadian Army is currently staffing a SASS and DMR/SharpShooter requirement. I beleive the Naval Boarding Party has recevied a number of cast off CANSOF guns, as from what I am aware no gun program has yet been released, and a I keep my finger on the pulse up North ;)

High Tower
10-06-11, 08:33
The LMT didn't exist when the selection was made and the KAC product has had more than it's fair share of mixed reviews.

That is interesting. Other than from the Bushmaster folks, I have yet to hear a bad review on KAC products.

dudley2112
10-06-11, 12:38
Canada came out with a IOR (Immediate Operational Requirement) for 18 (yeah 18) 24" Semi-Auto Sniper Rifles for use in Afghanistan in late 2003.

KAC would not built a 24" gun (I know I tried to get them to do it) as part of the SOCOM feedback on the early 24" SR-25 Match Rifles certain units bought in the 1992-1993 period was cut the barrel to 20 at least.

DPMS, Armalite and another vendor submitted rifles. Armalite was chosen.

In around 2007 the Badger handguard was dropped (I got out of the CF in 2005 so my specific timeframe is foggy).

Canadian Special Operations also had some semi guns from various manufacturers.

The Canadian Army is currently staffing a SASS and DMR/SharpShooter requirement. I beleive the Naval Boarding Party has recevied a number of cast off CANSOF guns, as from what I am aware no gun program has yet been released, and a I keep my finger on the pulse up North ;)

knew i heard something about the navy getting some toys, glad to hear i wasnt completely out to lunch..... 18 rifles though...seriously why

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-06-11, 13:26

My friends and I have more 762ARs than the Canadian military.

JPB
10-07-11, 01:47
That is interesting. Other than from the Bushmaster folks, I have yet to hear a bad review on KAC products.

I apologize if it appears that I'm bashing the KAC. The KAC is a good product, but every product gets a bad review now and again, the KAC notwithstanding. If I could buy an SR25 where I live, I would. I own an SR15 upper and it's sitting on a precious (1 of 2) RAW lower. I have actually tried to find an LMT MWS lower and a KAC upper to build something fairly representative of a full up KAC SR25. Cost effectiveness need not apply. That said, my expectations are realistic. It's all about expectation management. Some folks think that they will spend top dollar on a product and it will satisfy all of their needs. Not the case. Several reviews on this very forum have been less than flattering concerning the SR25. That said, if I were to acquire an SR25, I would run M118 or similar ammo in it and expect pure magic and would likely get it. I would not however expect it to eat South African battle packs day in, day out, without issue. Know what you're buying.

Interesting to hear Kevin, I always thought that the 24" barrel was a bit out of hand. Did they have a follow on contract? Seen a lot of photos for only 18 rifles in existance. Matter of fact, I believe that 7.62SASS was selling Canadian over run contract uppers. Do you have any experience with these guns? How'd they perform?

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-07-11, 09:36
For an 18 product run, how many extra rifles could you have???

camus
10-07-11, 22:16

Yeah, not quite the same. Thanks for the pics though.

I didn't make it to the shop this week to check it out, they are about 2 hours away but I will be up there soon. Not really looking for one of these right now but I am always shopping.

@FMCDH, no doubt, contract over run on 18 might equate 2?

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-08-11, 00:31
What's wrong to saying they are such and such specification, just like we built for these guys.

Love to hear more about the Armalite stuff. We don't get many reviews here. I like their patent on the relieving of the lugs to better balance pressure around the lugs for better durability. That's smart stuff.

JPB
10-08-11, 12:23
For an 18 product run, how many extra rifles could you have???

Hence the question "Was there a follow on contract?".

KevinB
10-10-11, 13:38
Hence the question "Was there a follow on contract?".

Not from anything I have heard. Though the 6 test guns may have been deployed later.

The IOR was to equip deployed units with semi-guns in conjunction to the C-14 (.338LM TimberWolf Bolt Gun made by Prairie Gun Works and Defence Technologies) Deploying a Inf Bn + to Afghan did not require many guns, and only a few weapons for pre-deployment training.

For years the Army Doctrine in Canada languished on the concept of the DMR/Sharpshooter -- some old C3A1 (Parker Hale) guns where given to sniper qualified troops in Platoons for Afghan usage. The Navy took a stab at the NBP requirements, but for a while at least the range restrictions in Canada limited them to 5.56mm

For a long time Canadian SOF where the only folks with semi 762 precision capability, way back from the RCMP SERT inherited PSG-1's which got retired and made way for different platforms over the years.

Pappabear
10-10-11, 19:48
The only mixed review of KAC SR25 is $$$ that I have heard. Other than that, they are #1.

I really want to shoot one but have yet to stumble across one at the range or elsewhere. I can appreciate the subtle perfection in SR15's and would like to shoot the 7.62 big brother to see how compares to my beloved MWS. I just need 7k for gun and night force. :D

Belmont31R
10-10-11, 19:56
There were some issues with the earlier SR25's but have been fixed quite a bit with the EMR and EMC which have have been incorporated into the M110 and Mk11 guns. Some of the early M110 had issues with the trigger.

Also keep in mind MOST of KAC's guns are being issued to military or gov entities which will abuse them pretty good. Cleaning supplies are always sorely lacking when it comes to weapons, and 762 guns are not going to be as easy as 5.56 guns.

I think you will find the vast majority of EMC and EMR users to be happy with their guns, and have put the guns through their paces. Ive only known or seen one person with an issue.

I ran mine to 2k rounds without cleaning even out of the box with varied ammo from mil surp to Russian steel case crap, and had two issues both of which were ammo related. Have gone from 2 to 3.5k rounds now without cleaning, and no issues. Last time out was running drills at CQB distances and no malf's. Still able to shoot Sub MOA with the right factory ammo. Handloads would do better.