PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR-556E Rebarrel Project--Marvin Pitts Comes Through!

Tokarev
10-01-11, 07:29
Back in late June or early July, I sent Marvin Pitts my Ruger SR-556E upper with the idea of shaving some weight off the gun. I like Ruger's "E" variant very much and think it's one of the better values in piston guns on the current market. The new smooth forend is thin and comfortable and feels much better than the traditional quad rail used on previous models.

While the new smooth forend takes some weight off when compared to previous models, the gun is still fairly heavy as shipped. My initial plan was to have Marvin re-profile the factory barrel to reduce weight but we later decided to replace the factory barrel with a stainless steel 1x8 twist.

Well, the upper arrived yesterday via US Priority Mail and it looks fantastic. I should've taken weight measurements before I sent the upper off to give an exact measurement of the weight shaved off. Using Ruger's website as a guide I see that the Ruger SR-556E, as shipped, is listed with a weight of 7.36 pounds. The gun now weighs 7.12 pounds. That's with Troy BUIS, VLTOR pistol grip, PWS muzzle brake and VLTOR A5 buffer tube and buffer in place. Weight without the Troy sights is 6.92 pounds. I'd guess that going back to the standard buffer tube and plain carbine buffer would reduce weight by three or four ounces.

I ran 240 rounds of ammo through the gun this afternoon with zero issues. I ran 30 rounds of WOLF, and 90 rounds of Silver Bear through the gun and all 120 rounds fed, fired and extracted without issue.

I'm very pleased with the work Marvin did and wouldn't hesitate for a second to use him again. His machining is perfect with no signs of tool marks or imperfections.

The gun looks great and feels much more balanced. Hopefully within the next couple of days I'll be able to get the sights and Aimpoint dialed in properly. I'll shoot the gun with everything from 55gr ball to Barnes 70gr TSX so get an idea of what the 1x8 twist will do for accuracy.

The gun as I originally configured it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20SR556E/P1010713.jpg

Views of the old and new barrel assembly:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20SR556E/DSC05391.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20SR556E/DSC05426.jpg

And the completed project!

Just over eight pounds with a full mag of M193:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20SR556E/P1020706.jpg

The dimpled stainless steel barrel:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20SR556E/P1020714.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20SR556E/P1020707.jpg

It's difficult to see but the the barrel's been turned to .625" under the handguard:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20SR556E/P1020712.jpg

mtdawg169
10-01-11, 08:04
Marvin never ceases to amaze me. Were you able to get a new rail from Kruger or did MP shave it down?

Spooky130
10-01-11, 08:19
I really need to get him to do some barrel work for me...

Spooky

Tokarev
10-01-11, 08:42
Marvin never ceases to amaze me. Were you able to get a new rail from Kruger or did MP shave it down?

The rail is factory and is what Ruger currently uses on the 556E and 556CLA. I talked to Marvin briefly about replacing the handguard and/or shaving some weight off the factory rail but we decided the additional cost probably wouldn't be worth the weight savings.

With that said it might but fun to see what the gun would feel like with the handguard turned into Swiss cheese. I might look into getting that done later on down the road.

Tokarev
10-01-11, 18:25
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20SR556E/P1020723.jpg

Maize
10-01-11, 20:15
Very nice! I think I need to give him a call.

Tokarev
10-02-11, 18:58
Here's his email. Drop him a note.

nefariousarms@live.com

kdcgrohl
10-03-11, 11:01
He does great work, just had him work over a 300BLK barrel for me.

Tokarev
10-04-11, 04:58
I ran 66 rounds unsuppressed and 150 suppressed through the new barrel today. The new barrel seems to shoot well. I fired two 3rd groups of Barnes 70gr TSX from the prone using my Aimpoint with good results. I need to try this ammo again with a conventional scope. I also have some handloaded 77gr SMK stuff that I need to try.

With the suppressor in place, WOLF 55gr will cycle the action fine with the gas setting on the smallest position. Without the suppressor, the gun ejects and feeds properly but won't lock the bolt open. With M193-type ammo, the gun cycles properly on the smallest setting.

Interestingly I didn't notice as much POI shift when suppressed as I've seen with some other guns and I believe this is due to the fact that the barrel is supported by the handguard.

Next test, other than benchrest with the 4x scope, will be full-auto.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20SR556E/P1020725.jpg

uspopo
10-04-11, 06:11
Wow! Looks awesome...I am thinking about having Marvin turn down my LWRC barrel...

Stan

Tokarev
10-08-11, 19:24
I got a little range time in after lunch. Not as much as I'd hoped but it was better than nothing.

The gun shoots fairly well but maybe not quite as good as it did with the factory barrel. There could be any number of reasons for this or it could have just been shooter error.

Anyway, here's five rounds of Hornady 75gr Steel Match using my Leupold FireDot set on four power:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20SR556E/P1020733.jpg

And five rounds of 75gr TAP:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20SR556E/P1020734.jpg

Tokarev
12-21-11, 18:54
Short video clip of the rifle on the range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPVmVS53IXI&feature=youtu.be

Tokarev
05-06-12, 09:15
The rifle in its current format:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/AAC%20762-SDN-6/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwNTA0LTAwMTg4LmpwZw.jpg

Tokarev
05-06-12, 15:38
The AAC suppressor in use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFF1RdKJyoE&list=UUrr_y4vtTSQU00EC5hIuHXw&index=1&feature=plcp

trinydex
05-06-12, 17:21
I got a little range time in after lunch. Not as much as I'd hoped but it was better than nothing.

The gun shoots fairly well but maybe not quite as good as it did with the factory barrel. There could be any number of reasons for this or it could have just been shooter error.

Anyway, here's five rounds of Hornady 75gr Steel Match using my Leupold FireDot set on four power:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20SR556E/P1020733.jpg

And five rounds of 75gr TAP:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20SR556E/P1020734.jpg

distance?

rundm
05-06-12, 18:35
Damn. that barrel work looks good. How much weight does the dimpling by itself take off of the barrel. I have been wanting to have this done to my 10.5 lmt for awhile now just because of how good it looks.

Brahmzy
05-06-12, 19:50
I've had Marvin do 3 of my Noveske barrels so far. Weight loss is significant - 6.1oz off of my Afghan barrel, 4oz off of my 10.5 CQB barrel, 6oz off of my 16" 7.62 barrel.

I have grown very tired of the dimpled look on the bead blasted SS finish. While stunning in pictures and in-person at first, it really looks rather goofy - bling, if you will. I've since had the 3 barrels Cerakoted graphite black and they look MUCH better.

I'm a big fan of the dimples vs. fluting.

Tokarev
05-06-12, 20:11
distance?

Those groups were fired at 100 yards.

I had since scrubbed the barrel and had intended on trying to shoot for group again with a clean barrel to see if that makes any real difference. But then my Form 4 came back and all that clean barrel stuff went out the window...

Tokarev
05-06-12, 20:13
Damn. that barrel work looks good. How much weight does the dimpling by itself take off of the barrel. I have been wanting to have this done to my 10.5 lmt for awhile now just because of how good it looks.

I don't know how much weight we saved but I'd guess it is only a few ounces. Most of the weight is saved by using a pencil barrel under the handguard. The weight of the rifle without all the crap added to it is just under seven pounds with the new barrel.

Tokarev
05-06-12, 20:15
I've had Marvin do 3 of my Noveske barrels so far. Weight loss is significant - 6.1oz off of my Afghan barrel, 4oz off of my 10.5 CQB barrel, 6oz off of my 16" 7.62 barrel.

I have grown very tired of the dimpled look on the bead blasted SS finish. While stunning in pictures and in-person at first, it really looks rather goofy - bling, if you will. I've since had the 3 barrels Cerakoted graphite black and they look MUCH better.

I'm a big fan of the dimples vs. fluting.

Marvin wanted to finish the barrel in black but I told him I wanted to leave it stainless so it would be readily apparent that I was using a different barrel.

If I were to do the whole project over I'd probably go with a black barrel of some type.

hunt_ak
05-06-12, 23:01
In that last pic, it DOES look like its black....?

Any reason you wouldn't want to do this to a mid length DD CHF barrel? Do you mind me asking the cost of the dimpling/re-profiling?

Tokarev
05-07-12, 06:50
In that last pic, it DOES look like its black....?

Any reason you wouldn't want to do this to a mid length DD CHF barrel? Do you mind me asking the cost of the dimpling/re-profiling?

The barrel looks black from fouling that has seeped out of the back end of the suppressor.

Marvin's work was very affordable. Here's his contact info so you can get current pricing info from him:

nefariousarms@live.com

hunt_ak
05-07-12, 07:47
Thank you....

Tokarev
05-11-12, 10:58
Any reason you wouldn't want to do this to a mid length DD CHF barrel?

The problem, from what I remember in talking with Marvin, is that Ruger's gas system is unique and is neither standard carbine nor intermediate length. The only way to replace the barrel is to go with something that doesn't have a gas port drilled. Daniel Defense does not offer a barrel without a gas port that I know of.

Dwsmitht343
05-11-12, 13:25
Tokarev,

I just would like to know how you like your SR. I ordered a SR-556fb and would like your opinion on any problems or suggestions you have for a proper diet for it. I don't mind weight much as I shoot a Garand and hunt with a Remington 700 Sendero. I also would like to know how you like your muzzle break.

Tokarev
05-11-12, 13:54
Tokarev,

I just would like to know how you like your SR. I ordered a SR-556fb and would like your opinion on any problems or suggestions you have for a proper diet for it. I don't mind weight much as I shoot a Garand and hunt with a Remington 700 Sendero. I also would like to know how you like your muzzle break.

I think Ruger actually did a good job with the basic design of their gas piston system. The system seems to work well and I've not seen any reports of gas system components failing, etc. The only continuing complaint regarding the gas system parts is the pinned-in transfer rod. Ruger says the rod doesn't need to be removed for routine cleaning but it would still be nice to be able to pop the rod out every once in a while to wipe the crud off or at least give it a looking at. Some early guns did have some rather nasty carrier tilt but I think this has pretty much been eliminated on current rifles by adding a slight radius to the tail end of the bolt carrier. I beleive Ruger has also switched from four subcontracted companies to two for all the carriers and I think this helps with quality control.

This rebarreled rifle seems to run perfectly with everything. It runs on the low gas setting with good quality brass cased ammo but must be switched over to the middle setting (#2) to run on Tula and etc. It'll short stroke and/or fail to lock the bolt back otherwise.

I have another Ruger (SR-556C) that I've got 6,500 rounds through. It has yet to give me any troubles with brass cased ammo but it chokes on steel cased stuff. With that said, I have shot several hundred rounds of Hornady steel cased training ammo and several hundred rounds of Golden Tiger 56gr ammo through the gun without issues. But it absolutely hates Silver Bear and jerks the rim off with almost every shot. Same goes for WOLF 55gr--maybe it was 62gr. I don't remember now.

As far as the FB model goes, I don't think you'll need anything other than a sling and some type of front sling swivel. I like the VTAC LPSM but anything that clamps to the forward railed sections will work. Otherwise, get a decent little scope or red dot optic and some PRVI or PMC ammo and go to town!

Dwsmitht343
05-11-12, 14:58
Thank you! I plan on getting 500 or so rounds and hopefully burning through 400+ on my first outing or two. Its the only way i am gonna figure out how to shoot that weapon right!

Tokarev
06-23-12, 07:45
Over the course of the year since I've had the Ruger re-barreled, I've come to believe that the new barrel is easily copper fouled. When the barrel is spanking clean, the rifle shoots pretty well but after fifty or sixty rounds accuracy can drop off significantly. I've seen my groups go from a little over an inch to three or four inches (or more, in some cases) in just a short time. Cleaning the barrel with copper solvents will return the rifle to an accurate state but it is short lived.

I recently contacted Marvin with my observations and he said he's had some similar issues with the Wilson Arms barrel blanks he's been using. He says the Wilson blanks are usually pretty darned good but he's had a couple rough barrels from them as of late. Marvin was very apologetic and said he's happy to re-barrel the Ruger a second time using a chrome moly barrel blank.

Marvin's got the upper again now and I'm confident he'll make it right. I'm looking forward to getting the upper back!

Dionysusigma
06-23-12, 10:18
(Relatively unrelated) If I read the first post correctly, you're using a Vltor A5 receiver extension, and in the pictures posted, you've got an M4 stock - does the RE stick out of the back of the stock when "fully collapsed"? This particular configuration has been on my mind a while, but with this issue reoccurring to me. Your rifle is the only one I've seen with both, and I had to ask... :confused:

Tokarev
06-23-12, 17:40
(Relatively unrelated) If I read the first post correctly, you're using a Vltor A5 receiver extension, and in the pictures posted, you've got an M4 stock - does the RE stick out of the back of the stock when "fully collapsed"? This particular configuration has been on my mind a while, but with this issue reoccurring to me. Your rifle is the only one I've seen with both, and I had to ask... :confused:

The tube does not stick out the back end of the stock.

I'm using the RE-10/A5SR receiver extension. It is slightly longer than a standard CAR-15 extension but still only has 6 adjustment spots. The six adjustments are the same distance from each other on both tubes but the VLTOR tube is probably .75" longer. Bottom line is that the rifle is about .75" longer than another AR in both the fully open and fully closed positions.

Here's the Ruger with the original carbine buffer tube. Note that the stock is collapsed and nearly butted up against the castle nut.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20SR556E/P1010713.jpg

Here's the Ruger with the VLTOR tube. Note that the stock is in the shortest position and is now farther away from the receiver.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20SR556E/P1020723.jpg

Tokarev
07-28-12, 20:49
An update from Marvin. He's got the replacement stainless barrel out and is working on machining the 2nd replacement barrel to match the style/profile I want.

This new barrel is a chrome moly hammer forged blank. Once it has been machined to final shape Marvin's going to send it out for salt bath nitriding for longevity and corrosion resistance.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20SR556E/DSC05825.jpg

Tokarev
10-13-12, 21:13
The 2nd replacement barrel back from nitride treatment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/DSC00092.jpg

Dwsmitht343
10-13-12, 22:21
Looks good! I hope it shoots as good as it looks!

hunt_ak
10-14-12, 10:21
Who did the nitride job? Looks superb...

Tokarev
10-14-12, 11:17
Who did the nitride job? Looks superb...

Marvin didn't mention who he used in his last email. The barrel really does look nice and I'm somewhat hesitant to have the dimples cut.

What do you guys say? Should I have it dimpled? It'll shave about three ounces off but it will also destroy the shiny black finish...

hunt_ak
10-14-12, 11:21
I guess I assumed that you didn't want them since it was finished before dimpling.... You already have a bit of contrast between the shiny black and the more 'gunmetal' gas block though, so it might look ok...

Tokarev
10-14-12, 15:10
I guess I assumed that you didn't want them since it was finished before dimpling.... You already have a bit of contrast between the shiny black and the more 'gunmetal' gas block though, so it might look ok...

I had Marvin dimple the stainless barrel because I wanted something that was readily identified as having been modified from stock. Plus there's a weight savings of about three ounces with the dimpling. While that's not a bunch of weight it is right at the muzzle and I really liked the way the rifle felt with the modified barrel in place.

I'm not sure why he didn't dimple the barrel before having it nitrided. Maybe he had a batch of barrels that was getting shipped and decided not to wait or maybe the source he used only nitrides in large batches or something like that. Anyway, he says he can dimple the barrel and Parkerize the exterior. But now I'm thinking it might look nice with the deep black finish.

Tokarev
10-21-12, 12:03
I've exchangded a few emails with Marvin and have come to a final decision. At least for the time being. :D

I've asked Marvin to dimple the exposed portion of the barrel so the rifle will look like it did after the first rebarrel but with the exposed end Cerakoted matte black. I have also asked him to remove the raised rib that runs along the bottom of the Ruger handguard. This should give the handguard a bit better feel and should shave a few more ounces off the gun.

After trimming, Marvin will Cerakote the hanguard to match the exposed portion of the barrel and I've asked him to leave the barrel under the handguard in its deep black nitrided finish. *

Tokarev
10-26-12, 17:26
I spoke the Marvin this afternoon about the Ruger project and a little something else I hope to have him start on soon. Marvin tells me the Ruger should be done and back in my eager little fingers shortly.

Regarding the dimpling; Marvin tells me he didn't do this prior to Meloniting because the dimples probably wouldn't be centered up off the top axis of the barrel after final assembly. He said he indexes the dimpling off the indexing pin in the barrel extension.

Anyway, I'll post the mandatory pictures once I've got the upper back and the rifle all put back together.

kennym
10-26-12, 20:43
Marvin always comes through. Amazing work.

Superhero
01-02-13, 00:53
Gotten your rifle back yet?

I've exchangded a few emails with Marvin and have come to a final decision. At least for the time being. :D

I've asked Marvin to dimple the exposed portion of the barrel so the rifle will look like it did after the first rebarrel but with the exposed end Cerakoted matte black. I have also asked him to remove the raised rib that runs along the bottom of the Ruger handguard. This should give the handguard a bit better feel and should shave a few more ounces off the gun.

After trimming, Marvin will Cerakote the hanguard to match the exposed portion of the barrel and I've asked him to leave the barrel under the handguard in its deep black nitrided finish. *

Tokarev
01-02-13, 04:05
Nope. Not yet.

Tokarev
03-21-13, 20:00
The upper arrived in today's mail. I'll get the rifle put back together ASAP and take pics when I can.

HelloLarry
03-22-13, 08:07
Who did you get the HF barrel from?

Tokarev
03-22-13, 19:31
Who did you get the HF barrel from?

It is one he had. I'm not sure where it came from.

HelloLarry
03-23-13, 13:06
I've been trying to get Ruger to sell me a couple 7 twist blanks. No luck so far.

Tokarev
03-24-13, 17:00
I've been trying to get Ruger to sell me a couple 7 twist blanks. No luck so far.

It would be fantastic if Ruger sold their hammer forged blanks to purchasers other than manufacturers.

Tokarev
03-24-13, 17:05
Here's the revamped "E" shown with an unmodified rifle.

The rebarrel is on the bottom:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20SR556E/P1020071_zps0595fe08.jpg

Tokarev
03-24-13, 17:09
Both barrels. Note that Marvin's profile in front of the gas block is the same as the Ruger barrel.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20SR556E/P1020065_zpsc993159e.jpg

Here's the rifle with the new barrel looking pretty much straight down on the handguard. Note that the barrel isn't visible through the handguard slots.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20SR556E/P1020066_zps2d9128e3.jpg

A similar photo of the unmodified Ruger barrel. Note the beefier profile as shipped from the factory.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20SR556E/P1020067_zps1599b03b.jpg

Marvin's dimple work.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20SR556E/P1020068_zpsfac010bd.jpg

Tokarev
06-26-13, 06:47
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/26/7eny2ege.jpg

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk 2

Tokarev
07-10-13, 10:21
Notice the nice consistent ejection while running suppressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bup4Z8H0S04&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk 2

Tokarev
12-30-13, 11:30
I haven't been able to submit the new barrel to much of a "tortune test" but I've been pleased with what I've experienced so far. The gun runs well with Tula and Wolf steel cased ammo and it also shoots pretty well with better stuff. I took it out to the range this last weekend and fired a few rounds of Fiocchi 77gr SMK ammo through it. Several three round groups at 200 yards hovered around two inches and I fired an eight round group into just a tad under three inches off the bench. Not stellar bench-type accuracy but certainly not terrible and more than good enough for the gun's intended use. Plus I'm still running the stock (aka heavy) trigger group which doesn't help with tight groups.

Tokarev
12-30-13, 17:13
Here's a cell phone picture of my eight round group from 200 yards.

As ammo again starts to come available I'll continue to experiment with various loads to see how the new barrel does with a variety of stuff.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/31/jubenene.jpg

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk

Superhero
01-04-14, 11:47
Nice groups man