PDA

View Full Version : Range report: SPS & Premier

marco.g
10-01-11, 15:12
I was able to get to the range this weekend to do some shooting and get familiar with my new optic, the Premier light tactical 3-15x50. This is my first high end scope so I don't have much to base it against. The glass is very good, the tracking is accurate and i really like the way the controls are laid out.

Rifle is a sps-v cut to 20" and restocked with a McMillan A3.

Shooting was done with sandbags under the front of the rifle and using my support hand as a rear rest (I need a rear bag). Range was 100yds, no wind.

I zeroed the scope on the shoot n see target, shot a couple rounds into the outside diamonds to confirm the zero and then moved onto the .5" dots. I was not shooting for groups, its kind of boring compared to shooting the dots. This was my first time trying one of these dot drill type targets.

As you can see i wasn't hitting the dots dead on for the most part. Unstable rear rest and barrel heat I think, obviously combined with my lack of skill.

Zero target:
http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af174/marco1144/DSCN0804.jpg

1st dot target (didnt shoot all 20). I was doing pretty well for the first 6 then i think the barrel started warming up and opening up.
http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af174/marco1144/DSCN0794.jpg

2nd dot target:
http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af174/marco1144/DSCN0793.jpg

The setup used:
http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af174/marco1144/DSCN0795.jpg

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af174/marco1144/DSCN0797.jpg

C-grunt
10-02-11, 01:57
What kind of ammo were you using?

mkmckinley
10-02-11, 05:05
How do you like the optic?

marco.g
10-02-11, 08:27
I was using Federal gmm 168gr.

The scope is great, like i said this is my first high end scope so theres not much for me to base it off. The glass is super clear. The one thing I like especially is how forgiving the eye relief is. Your head doesnt have to be in perfect alignment with the ocular to get a clear sight picture. And at 26oz its light enough where i can still use my rifle for field shooting and hunting.

A hide member reviewed some scopes in that price range including the light tactical over on his own site.

http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98:high-end-tactical-scopes-part-3&catid=4:rifle-scope-reviews&Itemid=4

If anyone has any input, most of the shots on the second target impacted between .5-1" left of POA. All I can think of is barrel heat.

mkmckinley
10-02-11, 08:40
Thanks for the link, that guy has some great reviews.

As far as your POI shift maybe you could provide some more details. Was the barrel really hot for the last half of your shooting? Could shooter fatigue have been a factor? Also, I don't mean to be insulting, but could parralax or head position have shifted?

Belmont31R
10-02-11, 10:25
Parallax and position was going to be my answer. Even though you can get a clear sight picture not being perfectly lined up each time you still want the same head position. Do you know how to test for parallax?

It might help if you shoot for groups.

marco.g
10-02-11, 10:45
Parallax could definitely be an issue. I've read that to test for it you move your head and if the target seems to "bounce" then there is parallax. I was trying to remain as centered as possible behind the scope but it could be an issue. More practice is definitely in order.

As far as barrel heat goes, it wasn't AR hot but you could say it was uncomfortable to the touch. Targets were shot in 15-20 minutes with maybe 10 mins as downtime during the cease fire. Total round count for the session was 70 rounds in about 2 hours.

I just wish the closest 100/200yd range wasn't an hour away.

Belmont31R
10-02-11, 11:19
I set the rifle in the rest with the cross hair centered on the target, and then move your head around. If the reticle moves off where you set it relative to the target you have parallax. Of course once you get the gun up don't touch it. You basically gotta hang your head over the rifle behind the scope not touching the gun at all. If the reticle stays where you set it no matter your eye position then you don't have parallax or at least not any that you can see. If the reticle moves on the target when you move your eye you have parallax issues.

If you don't have any parallax adjustment on your scope most of them are set for a fixed distance of either 100Y or 100M.

anthony1
10-07-11, 03:38
Almost all your shots missed low and right, could be something your doing but if your holding dead center poa and continuously hitting low and right poi, couldn't hurt to just adjust your scope a few clicks .

marco.g
10-07-11, 08:15
Yup i had noticed that, and next time around ill keep that in mind and compare it to my cold bore shot.

The shots were all around .1 mil low and .2 mils left.

ETA: The dot targets were not aligned landscape when i was shooting them, thats just how I took the pictures.

maximus83
10-07-11, 13:21
Nice rifle, topic, and report. I can't help noticing that beautiful rifle, with the bolt on the "proper" side of the action. :-)

marco.g
10-07-11, 15:00
Maximus, thanks for the compliments. Especially from a fellow lefty!

Update: stuck some foam under the cheek rest and now I'm able to get an even better cheek weld than before. I realized I was using an open jaw moth-eating head position to line up behind the scope. Now I can close my mouth like a civilized person, and still get a good head position/sight picture.

maximus83
10-07-11, 15:15
Maximus, thanks for the compliments. Especially from a fellow lefty!

Update: stuck some foam under the cheek rest and now I'm able to get an even better cheek weld than before. I realized I was using an open jaw moth-eating head position to line up behind the scope. Now I can close my mouth like a civilized person, and still get a good head position/sight picture.

Heh, if you ever decide to sell that rifle, let me know. I recently ended a 1-year experiment with an Rem 700 SPS Tac 20" model, and sold it to a forum member. Beautiful rifle, scary accurate for such an inexpensive gun. But I just don't do RH actions, I hate trying to shoot them offhand, slung, or in other positions when not using a bipod or at the bench. Decided for me, I'll just sticky with lefty bolt actions.

Currently I have a custom LH Savage 10FLP that's extremely accurate, but one thing I'll probably never like is that bladed/safety Accutrigger. It's light, but feels weird. I can customize it further with a Rifle Basix trigger, and probably will. But after finding how much I liked the Rem 700, I'm considering seriously ordering a LH SPS Varmint like you did, cutting it down, putting it in a good stock (maybe Manners?), and then building it up gradually.

Keep us posted on how your rifle and optic work out, I want to hear about the progress you make.

marco.g
10-07-11, 19:25
Thanks for the compliments but this one is probably staying with me for a while, it is my first gun after all hah.

If youre doing any kind of positional or field shooting then getting the right sided action is key. The firing hand should be the only hand leaving the rifle to manipulate the bolt in order to maintain poa.

If you arent happy with the savage then sell it off and pick up a 700. Having the barrel cut and putting it in the new stock made it go from a nose heavy musket to a much more maneuverable rifle with a more neutral balance.

maximus83
10-08-11, 13:53
If youre doing any kind of positional or field shooting then getting the right sided action is key. The firing hand should be the only hand leaving the rifle to manipulate the bolt in order to maintain poa.

Yes this is what I learned after working with the RH action for a while. It was great for shooting off bench/bipod, extremely accurate for a factory rifle. But shooting with a "wrong-sided" action, shooting supported is about all you can do, effectively. Some will differ with that, but for me as an individual at least, follow-up shots are DEFINITELY a bit slower and more error prone when I have to (a) break my cheek weld, and (b) cant the rifle or reach over the optic in an awkward way to work the bolt. And then there's the thing that often gets left out of the equation: safety. Granted it's relatively rare to have a heavy bolt gun blow up in your face, but if it does, I'd prefer having my face on the opposite side of the action.