PDA

View Full Version : Rail mounted folding front sight ~ Poll inside

Buck
10-01-11, 19:47
I am working on a project and I am curious what rail mounted folding front sight do you like the best, and why. If you use a folding front sight on your AR, I would really appreciate your input.

Just to get things started, I really like the TROY AR style folding front sight, but you might like something else, and if you do, I would like to hear the pros and cons of your choice.

S/F

B

glen
10-01-11, 20:14
I've tried Magpul and Troy with no complaints.

I voted Knights because they look to be lower profile and I want to give them a try on my next build.

ALCOAR
10-01-11, 20:35
I voted Knight's...specifically the micro front buis.

On your list I have owned Troys, Magpul, and MI. I would say the Troys are my second favorite front buis after the KAC micro front buis.

IMO, nothing comes close to the KAC micro's as far as a back up sight goes. They are super low profile, almost weigh nothing, take up minimal real estate, and ultimately have KAC backing them. The KAC micro front has an elevation adjustment wheel which is super nice, and is one of the main reasons I feel they are a touch above the rest. While it's not important, I love the aesthetics to them as I do with most KAC kit. All my future foreseeable builds will be using these KAC micros.

Buck
10-02-11, 22:47
I voted Knight's...specifically the micro front buis.

Does the KAC micro use a standard AR front sight post or something unique to that system?

B

ALCOAR
10-02-11, 23:36
Good question...seen it asked several times and never found an answer so I just mic'd them both(troy/kac)
Troy front sight post measurement:
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC00885.jpg

KAC micro front sight post measurement:
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC00884-2.jpg

Iraqgunz
10-03-11, 00:02
An SF associate of mine was using the KAC M4 flip front sight in A'stan and somehow he managed to lose the detent pin which made it OOC. We were finally able to get one later thanks to KevinB.

So I am not big on propietary stuff like that. In addition adjusting the front sight was a PITA.

I lent that person my Troy front sight and he really liked it. I have been using the Troy sights for a few years and I really like them.

CoryCop25
10-03-11, 00:46
I think it really depends on what you are doing with the build. I really like the Troy HK front sight. I have this on my SBR.
I have mbus sights on most of my rifles.
I do not like any front sight that I can see when using an ACOG. I have an MBUS front on a rifle that has a 1.5x ACOG on it and it drives me nuts (short drive)!
I also have a URXIII with its own built in front sight but I agree with what gunz said on that one.
If you don't plan on using the front sight unless in an emergency, I would go cheap and light like the MBUS. If you plan on using it as a co-witness then I would go Troy.
Now that I have confused the living s*@t out of you, (and me), good luck with your build!

skyugo
10-03-11, 00:48
are there any accuracy issues with having a sight on a rail instead of a standard pinned on gas block sight? I guess as long as you don't use a crappy rail eh?

Iraqgunz
10-03-11, 00:53
Generally speaking as long as the rail is mounted correctly and there are no other issues, then it's not a problem. But, a fixed FSB that is done correctly will always be better than a BUIS.

are there any accuracy issues with having a sight on a rail instead of a standard pinned on gas block sight? I guess as long as you don't use a crappy rail eh?

jonconsiglio
10-03-11, 08:12
Some kind of crazy quadruple post there, sorry about that..

jonconsiglio
10-03-11, 08:15
I really like the KAC BUIS, but not the micros though I'm sure they're a good product as well. I've heard of a few issues though with the micro rears and it's been mentioned that raising it and lowering it over time can actually rotate the windage knob. I can't see that rotating it enough to be a serious issue in any way, but it happens. With the KAC, there's no buttons to push, no locking up or down but they are solid and clean.

I've used Troys for some time and they're very nice as well, but my rear got loose and I could never get it tight again for some reason… the sight itself, not the mount.

I actually like that the KAC doesn't lock in place. I've damaged two integrated front sights on the KAC URX II, which is flimsy in comparison and locks in place. One needed replaced and KAC sent it out quickly, while the other needed some tweaking. They also sent me a new selector at the time because one of my SR15's seemed like it had the screw on the selector set in place and I had to cut it off. Completely on me, but they sent out a new one anyway.

So, even though I'm moving away from their SR15 rifles, I still like their sights and their customer service is great, in my experience.

KAC rear 200-600 sights only have the smaller aperture while the 300mm rear has a small insert for the smaller aperture. So, keep that in mind. I first came to appreciate the 200-600 style of rear sight on my SCARs, then I got my 2 SR15's and the KAC 200-600 is a nice step up in quality.

I've also been using a Matech rear on my MK18 and it's actually not a bad little sight for the price, but I've heard of a number of problems with the mount and detent, so I really wouldn't recommend one unless it's not going to be used as much and it stays in the down position.

Personally, if I'm buying it and it doesn't already come on the rifle like the Matech did, I'm buying KAC or Troy.

Here's a pic of the KAC front and Matech rear then a pic of the Troys. The KAC are definitely lower profile, but that doesn't matter much considering their placement in most cases.

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/jonconsiglio/Forums/IMG_1487.jpg

I know the case is a POS, but whatever… The profile is a good bit larger with the Troys, but that never bothered me. The one thing I don't care for with the Troys is the rear sights width at the base and how it

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/jonconsiglio/Forums/DSC_1183.jpg

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/jonconsiglio/Forums/IMG_0338-Edit_2.jpg

Buck
10-06-11, 12:38
Thank you for all the responses... Anyone else with an opinion on the rail mounted folding front sight that they would like to share???

S/F

B

drck1000
10-06-11, 12:48
I voted Troy. I have both front and rear folding sights with the HK style front. I really like the way that the round front sight fits with the rear aperture. It seems to make it easier for me to align the sights. I also have an EoTech, so the round shape of the Troy HK style front sight just looks "right" to me.

This is my first AR, so I haven't tried many others. My friend has a Colt that he added the Troy micro sights and they sit too low for my tastes. I've tried one with the Magpul MBUS and they were ok. They were super easy and fast to flip up, but something about the plastic body didn't feel right to me.

Hanson77
10-06-11, 13:10
I voted Troy because I really like how solid they feel when they snap into place. They came standard on my M&P 15T so I'm kinda biased. I also like the new version they have come out with using the Di-Optic rear sight. The lines and square apeture seem to be really nice when using BUIS. I'm actually picking up a set for the new 14.5" build that I just finished.

I have also used the Magpul Gen 1's on my second AR and and they were nice sights for the price. I like the fact that they were spring loaded making them quicker to raise but I don't use the weapon in the line of duty or anything so that's not really a deal breaker. I shot a friend's Armalite and it came with A.R.M.S from the factory and they were about the same quality for a little bit cheaper if memory serves.

Like others have said if these are going to be backup sights only, go with something relatively inexpensive that WORKS and is lightweight. Save some money on the sights and put that into HIGH quality optics. Yeah it's nice have super high quality sights but what's the point if they are rarely or ever used.

KRAZYKIDDJOE
10-07-11, 08:03
I have troy flip up sights on a few rifles and use their rear almost exclusively.

I have lately been going back to a fixed rail mounted front as I was leaving my Troy Front in the "UP" position anyway. I like the M4 style over the HK and have went to DD Fixed Front for most of my needs on the newer builds. The fixed are lighter and don't have to worry bout flipping the thing up if my dot goes down. I also can use the dot and front immediately without flipping up the troy rear. I like that fact.

I was tempted in getting a KAC front, maybe someday but not anytime soon.

KKJ

Doxiedad
10-07-11, 22:48
My M&P15A came with the Troy rear BUS. If i was to replace the FSB it would be with the Troy HK style front.:dance3:

Buck
10-23-11, 14:01
Thank you again for all of your responses...

S/F

B

An Undocumented Worker
10-23-11, 14:12

There can be if you plan on hitting targets far out with rail mounted BUIS. The main problem is, that pressure on the rail will shift it out of alignment with the barrel. This is even more noticeable when using a shooting sling. Even the best freefloat rails flex a littlebit, and since the buis listed are mounted to that rail, any flex shifts poi.

With a barrel mounted front sight base, folding or fixed, paired with a freefloat rail, outside influences have little effect on poi.

I personally would like to see more development on high quality pinned and folding front sightbases/gasblocks. Though I have no issues running a fixed FSB.