PDA

View Full Version : M1A Scout flash suppressor sounds like a tuning fork

Maverick07
10-02-11, 01:26
ALCON,

I am hoping for some insight and wisdom on a minor change I made to my M1A Scout. I recently had my local tactical 'smith replace the factory muzzle brake with a Springfield factory flash suppressor (I prefer less flash and blast to the benefits of the brake). It appears to be properly installed and is rock solid with no play whatsover. However, I notice when I cycle the bolt or even flick the flash suppressor hard enough I get a distinct metallic "ping" sound... a bit like a small tuning fork. Just touching the suppressor stops the sound.

Anyone with insights on this? My concerns are the resonance may affect accuracy and/or reliability.

Thanks

TOrrock
10-02-11, 10:23
They've done that since 1957, completely normal.

Spooky130
10-02-11, 11:40
Try putting a Smith Vortex or an AAC Blackout on there - they are very bad about that...

Spooky

Maverick07
10-02-11, 11:46
Thanks Templar... that was what I suspected, but the M1A/M-14 weapons are a new venture for me so I appreciate the confirmation.

Maverick07
10-02-11, 12:14
Spooky,

Thanks for the referral to Blackout products. I'm going to see how the factory flash hider works out initially, but my interest is certainly piqued on this product line. Any recommendations on which flash hider to try? I am considering either the 51T or 18T.

TOrrock
10-02-11, 13:46
The Smith Ent. Vortex will also ring like a tuning fork.

I had one on a transferrable Smith full auto M14.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Smith%20M14/P1000472.jpg

Notice that it also will work with an 18" or 16" barrel since it doesn't have a bayonet lug to get in the way of the gas plug coming out.

Maverick07
10-02-11, 14:17
Any notable advantages of the Smith Vortex or Blackout products over the Springfield flash hider that warrant the additional investment?

TOrrock
10-02-11, 15:38
Shorter overall length and better flash suppression, but I'm not going to tell you the world would stop turning if you're running a standard flash suppressor and it's working for you. ;)

Spooky130
10-02-11, 19:46
Any notable advantages of the Smith Vortex or Blackout products over the Springfield flash hider that warrant the additional investment?

I'd stick with what you've got... If you want to replace the whole front sight and move it back to the gas block then you could easily put a Vortex on there.

Unless you're running an AAC suppressor, the 18T v 51T argument is a mout point - buy whichever one AAC or a dealer has available to fit on an M1A. I think they were a special run because the M1A barrels have an unusual thread pattern.

ST911
10-02-11, 20:02
Strange as it may sound, I kind of like the characteristic "ping" of the M14. Couldn't tell you why. Perhaps its a part of a larger, strange affection for the gun.

Maverick07
10-02-11, 23:09
Thanks for the insight and advice from all. Since I am now completely confident that nothing is amiss I will work with my current setup and save the money on ammo (she is expensive to feed for sure) to workout the weapon.