chuss
10-02-11, 08:44
AAR: VSM 2 Day Basic Handgun/Carbine September 24-25, 2011

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=86817
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=86814

Instructor: Joe Barnsfather

Total in attendance: 5 + Joe

Range conditions:
Couldn't have asked for better weather on both days.

Equipment:
Several 1911 variants and a couple of Glocks, AR-15 variants, and Joe shot an AK.

Class and Drills:

We had a pretty good round count on Day 1, shooting around 400-500 rounds. Joe had us working up close at 3-5 yards in the morning due to a little rain. In the afternoon, we moved out from under the awning and shot at 5,10,15 yards.
His emphasis in this class, was to induce a little more stress on us, by making us think and be able to shoot on command, whether verbal, horn, shot timer, gun fire, or taps on the shoulder.
The idea was to be aware of what's going on around you, and be ready to put rounds accurately on target unexpectedly.

On Day 2, we began working on transitioning from carbine to handgun. Again, we worked on situational awareness, and shooting when the "bad guy" wants us to...not when we want to. It certainly raises your heart rate and induces some stress, but our group did a good job keeping things under control.
Of course, we had our share of fliers, but I noticed that everyone's groups at the end of the day, were pretty tight. I think that Joe's lessons on trigger control are sinking in.

That was my 9th and 10th class with Joe. After each class, I try to walk away and work on something, chipping away at the overall bigger picture. It was certainly overwhelming for me, last year, trying to figure out everything at once. After my first class, I was ready to accept that I was a good as I ever was going to be...and it wasn't possible for me to shoot any accurately or faster. I was thinking that everyone else just had natural abilities that I didn't possess. But, I continued to go to class.

I kind of liken this to rowing a boat. Before I started taking classes with Joe, I was just shooting, spending money and having a good time...just rowing my boat.
After taking one of Joe's classes, I started to realize how inefficient my boat really was...and how many holes it had in it. To plug every hole at once would be impossible. I had to make the decision accept the challenge to improve my situation, or keep rowing along with all of these inefficiencies.
To me, if I'm not growing, I'm dying, so I keep coming to class to get better and I work on fixing at least one issue everytime...not forgetting past lessons learned, lest they become holes in my boat again.
I've certainly got a long way to go, but I look forward to the next challenge Joe has in store for us next weekend.

As an aside, there is something to be said about conditioning for these classes and life in general. In April, I started working out again (hadn't done that in about 10 years). It's not easy getting up at 5am to go workout at 6am before the workday starts...but it is paying off. I am able to tighten up my core more while shooting, which has made the biggest difference in my groups lately. Also, I have more endurance now, and don't get winded. It's easier to control my breathing which helps.

It's not easy to focus all day...especially when you are standing around in the elements. I've been taking a cue from the fitness industry and experimenting with L-tyrosine and DHEA. It could be placebo, but I think those 2 supplements have helped me stay focused better while shooting. I don't take them everyday, just during workouts and Joe's classes.

Proper clothing and gear is helpful, and I like having the opportunity to experiment with that...especially as the weather has gone from hot/humid to cooler/dry.

Laugh if you want, but we chalk up at the gym, and I've been using chalk while shooting. It helps...and I've even found something called liquid chalk which works great too.

I'd like to sign off here by saying thanks to Joe and LAV, and to my training partners. See you all next week! :laugh:

Chris