PDA

View Full Version : shorter barrel and re-crowned

platoonDaddy
10-02-11, 15:37
Have a Browning .338 with 26" barrel, feels like I have a spear in my hand. Thinking about shortening to 22 or 24", therefore did a few google searches and located the following article. Anyone else have the same experience when shortening a rifle barrel?

My rifle came from the factory with acceptable sub minute of angle (less than 1″ group per 100yds) accuracy out of a 26″ barrel. I had my barrel cut down to 18″, took it out to the range and was pleasantly surprised to see the accuracy improve to a 1/2 minute of angle. Yes, you just read that right… the shorter barrel was more accurate.

When I dropped off the rifle to have it cut and re-crowned from its factory length, the gunsmith asked how short I wanted the barrel to be, and when I told him 18″, he tried his best to talk me out of it. He explained to me that 20″ is a “safe” length and about as short as he has seen people go while maintaining accuracy. I decided that since I was cutting the barrel to create a more manageable and compact shooting platform and partly to prove a point, I shouldn’t go to a “safe” length…. I should go shorter.

Full Article: http://www.sniperschool.com/sniper-rifle-barrel-length

Iraqgunz
10-02-11, 18:09
So what do you want to know? For the record I have attended a course at GPS Defense and they are a reputable school.

I think most shooters have come to realize that short barrels are accurate and in some cases more accurate than longer barrels.

platoonDaddy
10-02-11, 19:10
So what do you want to know? For the record I have attended a course at GPS Defense and they are a reputable school.

I think most shooters have come to realize that short barrels are accurate and in some cases more accurate than longer barrels.

Wanted to know if cutting off 4-6" would impact the weapon in any way and not being familiar with GPS, wanted to know if they are a reputable source.

Based on your reply (I didn't fall into the category of most shooters) shorter barrels are just as accurate in some cases better and GPS is reputable.

Therefore you have answered both of my questions.

I thank you,

ALCOAR
10-02-11, 19:18
Generally speaking, a shorter barrel incurs less vibrations when shot which in return affects the barrel's natural harmonics less....thereby in theory making a shorter barrel more accurate than a longer barrel given the contour is the same for the two.

DocGKR
10-02-11, 19:31
A short stiff barrel is almost always more accurate than a long whippy barrel. The downside is that a shorter barrel has a lower velocity, so the projectile trajectory is more curved, making range estimation and good dope far more critical if accurate hits are to be successful at longer ranges.

platoonDaddy
10-02-11, 21:19
Sitting here with a few olives, thinking about the pro & cons of a shorter barrel, I recall that the Enfield #5 is basically an Enfield #4 with a shorter barrel and a somewhat different stock. The #4 is generally considered a pretty easy rifle to shoot while the #5 is known for horrendous recoil and muzzle blast.

And wondering if this would happen to the Browning. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Hizzie
10-02-11, 23:14
A Browning what chambered in .338 what? Most magnum calibers were created with a cetain barrel length in mind. If you are gonna run a can then not so big a deal other than reduced velocity. No can and you might have considerable or horrendous muzzle blast. There is also the lost weight from the chopped barrel. Lighter rifles recoil faster.

YZINGERR
10-12-11, 19:08
I cut down and crowned my mosin barrel from about 28+" to 18.25". I didnt notice an increase or decrease in accuracy (even out to distance), but it sure looks better and fits into a standard rifle case now!

platoonDaddy
10-13-11, 05:15
Dropping off weapon on Friday with instructions for the gunsmith to shorten by 3". Expect to have by the middle of next week for testing.

Email from gunsmith:

The only thing that will change your recoil is the reduction in weight from the amount of barrel removed, and you should not be enough to notice.

Loss of velocity? Well, with the smaller calibers and light bullets it would be 200 to 300 fps. However, with a 338 shooting 225 gr or larger bullets I don't think you would loose more than 50 to 100 fps. It's like the old 18 inch barrel on the Remington number 7. In the 243 it lost a lot of velocity, but in a 308 it looses hardly any.

Because of the amount of powder that is being burned in the magnum I would not go back to 20 inches. I would have no problem cutting it to 24 inches. Twenty two inches would start to loose significant velocity, perhaps 200 fps, but if you like short go for it. If you shoot heavy bullets like the 300 gr it would be no problem. If you shoot light bullets like the 200 gr it would be a significant loss of velocity.

Hope that is clear as mud

mbogo
10-14-11, 15:58
Browning A-Bolt/X-bolt barrels are pretty slender, making them "whippy".

By cutting the barrel back, the barrel OD is larger at the muzzle, making the barrel "stiffer".

Also, your gunsmith put a good crown on that barrel, which always helps.

mbogo

M_Rapp
11-16-11, 18:17
Did you get your rifle back yet? Interested in how this turns out...

platoonDaddy
11-16-11, 18:44
Did you get your rifle back yet? Interested in how this turns out...

It is back and feels great with the 22 1/2" barrel. Been to the range (only 100 yard range) and shoots great. Didn't know how much of a kick it had prior to the shorter barrel and the addition of a Dead Mule Recoil Reducer. The recoil is probably less than or equal to my ought-six.

Jake'sDad
11-20-11, 14:39
It would have been interesting for you to have done before and after chronographs. Some cartridges/loads lose surprisingly little velocity from shortening, while some do lose pretty significant amounts. You certainly can't go by some of the old "rule of thumb" estimates.

platoonDaddy
11-20-11, 16:40
It would have been interesting for you to have done before and after chronographs. Some cartridges/loads lose surprisingly little velocity from shortening, while some do lose pretty significant amounts. You certainly can't go by some of the old "rule of thumb" estimates.

For sure you are correct. Still kicking myself in the ass for not using friends chronograph before & after. Just very unhappy with a 26" barrel, as previously stated felt like a spear. All those years shooting the M16, 26" was just toooooooooooooo much.

Silent
11-20-11, 21:22
Cut her down and dont look back, I have 2 18" guns now and am in the process of selling off my last 24".... I have come to love the shortys

Jake'sDad
11-20-11, 21:38
For sure you are correct. Still kicking myself in the ass for not using friends chronograph before & after. Just very unhappy with a 26" barrel, as previously stated felt like a spear. All those years shooting the M16, 26" was just toooooooooooooo much.

Believe me, I understand. I started cutting down rifles over 30 years ago, when most thought you were crazy for doing so. Buying my first chronograph was one of the smartest things I ever did.