PDA

View Full Version : a strange tale of possible wrong-handedness (very long post)

fuse
10-02-11, 21:27
first, a bit about me.

I'm not ambidextrous, I am more what you'd call.. confused.

I use my right hand to-
write, play tennis/ping pong, shoot a long gun

I use my left hand to-
throw a ball, hit a baseball, play golf, arm wrestle

My left hand/arm is definitely stronger, as I favor it for tasks requiring perhaps more strength than precision (when doing pushups as I tire I often find myself favoring my left arm)
My right hand/arm, while not as strong as my left, has always worked much better for more precision tasks such as writing.

my history with pistols equally odd. Since my left hand/arm is stronger, as a brand new pistol (G19) owner in 2007 (really only shot .22 pistols when I was much younger) I naturally started out as a left handed shooter. Eventually I bought a sig 226, since the mag release could be reversed (and the SEALs use it!), and I began competing in IDPA and took a couple of practice sessions at the NRA range", which were my first formal class experiences. However, I did not shoot much, was definitely much more of a 'gun owner' than 'shooter', and as such my skills were firmly in the "beginner" category.
At some point I decided to try and shoot right handed, as I clearly believed I was right eye dominant since the "look through a hole then cover an eye" test clearly shows it. Also, I was getting very good at trap/sporting clays, which I shoot right handed, and figured I'd be better at the pistol right handed after getting used to controlling recoil with what I perceived as my slightly weaker hand. I think my pistol skills barely got better upon my switch, as I still did not practice with any regularity and had many bad habits.

But I was a right handed shooter now! I could use the mag release on my glock with my strong (right) hand, and drop the slide using the slide release! High speed low drag! and the legions of holsters and other gear I would eventually buy were often in stock, and didn't have to be special ordered! Life was sweet.

Over the past 15 months, I have absolutely transitioned from 'owner' to 'shooter'. I have practiced with regularity and worked up a regimen of drills with known standards. I've taken many great classes and shot more matches.

While I have learned to shoot quickly and accurately enough at 'handgun realistic distances' with 'combat effective accuracy' (say, high probability targets inside 10 yards), pure accuracy has always been my fatal flaw.

My shots group to be left. It does not matter how fast or slow I am shooting, even if I'm in the target zone, its to the left. Not usually the classic low and left, just left.

The following examples illustrate a typical group on a 2 inch dot, shot as slowly and as accurately as I can.

at 3 yards.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/ebtromba/left/3yards.jpg

Most rounds are hits though the tendency to group left is apparent even at this distance. Keep in mind in these examples I am going as slow as possible, giving myself a perfect sight picture and trigger press.

5 yards-
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/ebtromba/left/5yardsleft.jpg

lots of shots out. the left POI shift is becoming more apparent.

7 yards-

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/ebtromba/left/7yards.jpg

horrible. you can see how clearing a plate rack at 12 yards while holding center can potentially be an infuriating and time consuming experience.

Its been like this for months. It is very frustrating. at this distance I have no idea if I'm going to get a hit on a 2'' dot. The groups are usually pretty tight, just to the left. My good friend JConn can vouch for this, as he's seen it many times. I have even benched the gun, and still experienced this. A very tight one ragged hole group, to the left of where I was aiming. I have tried putting less finger on the trigger. It does not seem to help, and sometimes causes me to throw shots even further left.

I sadly got in the habit of simply holding somewhat right on low probability targets beyond around 5 yards or so, or high probability targets beyond about 15 yards. I can't shoot a 25 yard group unless I am holding on the right edge of the target. I even drifted my sights on one of my guns (I have many guns, and shoot them all to the left) to the right, though it didn't really help much.

Since I (believe) I am right eye dominant, I don't think there is some failure to deal with a cross eye dominant-type issue.

Fast forward to the last couple days. For months I have always noticed that shooting weak hand only (left hand only) I was very accurate. Like small 5 round groups in a 2 inch dot perfectly centered, often out to 5 yards. In other words, far superior than my normal 2 handed supported. Something is clearly amiss.

With this in mind, for shits and giggles I went to the range tonight with a CCC versa clip holster. Its universal, meaning you can put it anywhere (left, right, OWB, IWB). I configured it left handed OWB.

...and I proceeded to shoot more accurately than I ever have in my life.

at 5 yards on the same 2 inch dot thats been my nemesis for so long, I was getting this-

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/ebtromba/left/5yards.jpg

I think the vertical misses were probably due to me simply not being used to gripping the gun this way. Still, this is a huge improvement and I couldn't believe it. A couple times I switched back to my normal right hand 2 handed grip, and got the terrible left POI I've come to except.

I shot around 250 rounds left handed (2 hand supported) and by the end the improvement in my accuracy was unreal. I was drilling 2 inch dots at 7 yards, while holding my front sight in the center. I thought I was going to cry. I mean, it was the damnest thing. Line up sights, slowly press trigger. bullet goes where I tell it. not to the left of where my front sight was when the shot broke. It was...so.... easy.

I am not yet declaring myself a lefty and holding the Great Fuse Holster and Mag Pouch Fire Sale just yet. This will have to be repeated many times. I am not thrilled about being a lefty, since glocks don't have a ambi slide release and I have a few gen3 glocks with non-reversible mag catches. But if this improvement appears to be constant I'd be a fool not to change over.

So, esteemed forum readers, WTF? what is causing this left POI shift when shooting right handed?

my theories-

1. Like your car's side view mirror, I am seeing things differently than they appear when shooting right handed. Perhaps I am not right eye dominant? Or, perhaps I am somehow not looking through my dominant eye?
2. my grip sucks. I am torquing the gun somehow.
3. bad trigger control
4. Anticipation/flinching.
5. I got lucky. as soon as I get more and more used to shooting left-handed, the same flawed habits will come back and I'll be back where I started, but with much slower reloads.

Thoughts? Advice?

skyugo
10-02-11, 23:36
If you're right eye dominant i'd recommend sticking with shooting the pistol right handed. I'm sort of left eye dominant, but shoot right handed.. I'm decisively right handed. I've basically trained myself to use my right eye for the sights. The benefits of shooting right handed are many... at least from a gear perspective.
I'd say it looks like a trigger control issue that you have there. maybe dryfire 1000 times and call me in the morning? :)

ruchik
10-02-11, 23:58
I am inclined to say that you are using too much finger on the trigger with your right hand. Do you have long fingers? It is very possible that the very tip of your finger is pushing on the left side of the trigger, resulting in you pushing your shots left while shooting right handed.

MegademiC
10-03-11, 00:24
Have a friend load up your mags with some snap caps mixed in. If you are flinching or jerking the trigger you will find out instantly. If not, you nocked two variables out. I would stick with right handed. There is obviously a problem and you need to address that. I would not compromise by going left handed if possible. Dry fire practice helps a ton. I do some almost every day and it keeps your trigger and grip up to par(as long as you know what the correct way feels like). You will quickly get to the point to where, if you flinch or jerk the trigger, you know it before you even see the hole. Good luck and stay safe!

warlord260
10-03-11, 01:05
Im lost here. You say shooting left hand you are right on, but also you say you have drifted the sights.???

fuse
10-03-11, 08:52
Im lost here. You say shooting left hand you are right on, but also you say you have drifted the sights.???

I drifted sights on a different gun some time ago to try and un**** myself. I did not shoot this gun last night.

Sgt_Gold
10-03-11, 14:38
A couple times I switched back to my normal right hand 2 handed grip, and got the terrible left POI I've come to except.

I shot around 250 rounds left handed (2 hand supported) and by the end the improvement in my accuracy was unreal. I was drilling 2 inch dots at 7 yards, while holding my front sight in the center. I thought I was going to cry. I mean, it was the damnest thing. Line up sights, slowly press trigger. bullet goes where I tell it. not to the left of where my front sight was when the shot broke. It was...so.... easy.

So, esteemed forum readers, WTF? what is causing this left POI shift when shooting right handed?

my theories-

2. my grip sucks. I am torquing the gun somehow.
3. bad trigger control

Thoughts? Advice?

I've distilled down what I think you're doing wrong. Since you don't have the same issues shooting one handed with your left hand, then try that with your right hand and see how you group. The grouping to the left for a right handed shooter is classic not enough finger on the trigger, and too strong a grip with the firing hand. You also could be pulling to the left with your non firing hand.

fuse
10-03-11, 21:42
I've distilled down what I think you're doing wrong. Since you don't have the same issues shooting one handed with your left hand, then try that with your right hand and see how you group. The grouping to the left for a right handed shooter is classic not enough finger on the trigger, and too strong a grip with the firing hand. You also could be pulling to the left with your non firing hand.

I should have mentioned this in my original post.
my right hand only shooting is terrible compared to my left hand only shooting. very inconsistent, shots scatter all over the place. I regularly amaze people at IDPA matches with my weak hand only shooting (in this case left hand only)

uwe1
10-03-11, 21:58
Did you mention if you've had other people shooting your gun to see where they group?

If so, are they all hitting dead on with your sights in the "normal" configuration and you're the only one having POA/POI shifts?

fuse
10-03-11, 22:38
Did you mention if you've had other people shooting your gun to see where they group?

If so, are they all hitting dead on with your sights in the "normal" configuration and you're the only one have POA/POI shifts?

yes. and I group left with many pistols, every pistol I've ever shot.

Skyyr
10-07-11, 09:31

I second this.

To the OP:

When I first started shooting pistols, I shot the classic "down and to the left." I came here, where I was shown "the chart" and found out I was putting too much finger on the trigger. After some mental-preparation and much dry-firing, I went back to the range. The next time, my shots were straight left - which I found to be the result of using too little finger in an attempt to correct too much trigger finger.

I think the reason you're having better results with your left hand is because, as you said, you don't have the fine motor skills with your left hand as you do your right. You're simply gripping the pistol "naturally," which probably has the effect of using just the right amount of trigger finger. Your muscles will be also be more proportional in your left hand compared to your right (since you use it more evenly compared to your right hand). Your right hand, having better control, is trying to "over-compensate" for the trigger, resulting in too little trigger finger.

That's just my opinion, but it seems to make sense based on my own experience and from what you've posted here.

I'd suggest trying just a bit more trigger finger on your right hand and see if that helps.

fuse
10-22-11, 19:22
UPDATE

While my left-handed shooting seemed to be much improved over my right-handed shooting at first, I believe I was experiencing the "honeymoon effect". I am a professional musician (trumpet player), and in brass playing this refers to trying out a new instrument or mouthpiece. For sometimes as long as 2 or 3 days (the honeymoon) things seem perfect. You are breezing through music that previously gave you much trouble, have more endurance, a huge, beautiful sound, perfect articulation, and can basically do no wrong. and then it all falls apart when the honeymoon ends, and not only do you have all the problems and flaws you had before, you never really got used to the new equipment and a rather painful and clumsy period of acclimation sets in.

I have never heard anyone describe the honeymoon effect in shooting, but I believe it can apply to any skilled physical task.

The left-handed honeymoon was over for me shortly after the start of my 2nd range session.

I realized I simply had to figure this shit out as a right handed person. the way God intended. Or else, completely start over.

So, when shooting right handed, the main thing to remember is not that I shoot to the left, its that I very VERY consistently shoot to the left.

you're supposed to hit what you intend to hit first and foremost...so maybe worry about that before what you're theoretically "supposed" to do

Using the above wisdom I have resolved this issue.

In the past I have tried moving my rear sight to the right a bit. I couldn't tell if it helped.

A couple weeks ago I decided to get nuts. I moved that bitch as far right is it could go without hanging over.

here is a picture for your entertainment-

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/ebtromba/photobucket-3060-1319322410641.jpg

and one with some subtle background brag

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/ebtromba/photobucket-1293-1319325444359.jpg

Now, after seeing that many of you are probably facepalming. I cannot say I blame you. However, the results I have experienced speak for themselves..

These were the first rounds I shot right-handed with my rear sight all the way to the right. Distance was 10 FEET.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/ebtromba/photobucket-3822-1318744155260.jpg

totally centered. so far so good.

I then tried to shoot at 25 yards, ala DoTW 1, but with a different target.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/ebtromba/photobucket-4273-1318744173542.jpg

as you can see this first effort was pretty bad. But, all ten rounds are on paper, and I seriously could not reliably do that before moving my rear sight.

I tried again, taking much more time and did this, which I am quite happy with.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/ebtromba/photobucket-5478-1318744207729.jpg

9 shots on paper, 1 round went very high and is on the cardboard. With this ammo/gun/sight combo at this distance I have to use a 6 o'clock hold which I am not at all used to. I believe I can tighten this up with practice in time, and now have the confidence to do so since I know I won't miss paper wide left half the freaking time.

Same story with this dot torture this week.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/ebtromba/photobucket-4883-1319313114946.jpg

I shot the FAST a bunch as well (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2011-improve-my-FAST), the new rear sight position really helped me clean it consistently.

As previously mentioned, every pistol I have ever shot I've shot to the left. I moved the rear sights all the way to the right on 2 of my other Glocks and experienced the same results as above.

I don't know if my eyes see the sights vastly differently than most other humans, or if I have a very consistent flinch, or consistently anticipate, or consistently jerk the shit out of the trigger, or some combination of all of these.

at this point I don't know if I care. Moving the rear sight all the way over has fixed it for me, and that's all the brainpower I wish to expend.

I wish I figured this shit out 9 months ago.

Sgt_Gold
10-23-11, 12:51
The "honeymoon effect" you describe is called NGS (new gun syndrome). It's common for the first few range sessions to produce above average groupings and the everything goes back to 'normal'.

If I'm reading your posts correctly, you've been shooting both left and right handed, but using the right eye the whole time? That could explain why everything you shoot one handed and right handed groups to the left. Given that your left arm is stronger than your right could also be having an effect on how you shoot two handed. In any case it appears that you've found a solution to your 'problem', and that's why they make adjustable sights.

ralph
10-28-11, 22:17
I've also been having problems shooting left, I'm left handed, write left handed throw left handed, am left eye dominate etc,Been shooting rifles, handguns for 30yrs. However, When shooting rifles for example, I shoot right handed,usually do very well, But when shooting a pistol I, for some reason, used my left eye. Typically, I hold a handgun with my right hand, using my left for support. and line up the sights with my left eye, and like the OP most of the time my groups are to the left..as I was finishing up a shooting session today, I thought I'd try using my right eye(grip being the same) to line the sights up with. Anyway, shooting at 15yds at a 2" black cricle,I put 10rnds into the circle..I tried it again, this time I had 4 on the edge of the circle from 11-2 o'clock the rest in the black, I tried this again with another handgun (M&P9) which I'd been fighting a shooting left issue from day one. with my last 10 rounds I put 4 in the black, the other 6 were 2" low, but pretty much centered up..Now I'm beginning to wonder, If I should'nt be shooting with my right eye..I'm going to try this again next week,If this continues to work,I'll switch. If anyone has any advice, I'm willing to listen, I'm really getting tired of shooting left...