PDA

View Full Version : A GUN FOR A LEGEND

Mr. Smith
10-03-11, 08:34
I just finished customizing a Marlin 336 in 44 Magnum for Ken Hackathorn. The Marlin 36 in 44 Magnum was only made for two years and has been out of production for about 20.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Lever%20Love/100_4030.jpg

The gun came out as a 20 inch. I cut it down to just under 17, per Ken’s request, and recessed and recrowned the barrel. I slicked up the internals, replaced the front sight with an ivory bead front sight, and installed sling swivels.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Lever%20Love/100_4035.jpg

I sweated the dents out of the stock and hand coated it with 20 coats of oil to preserve it longer. This was not a complete customization.
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Lever%20Love/100_4029.jpg

I did exactly what Ken asked me to do because he knows what he wants in a gun. When I get a call for a custom job, I usually have to guide the customer how to make the gun into what they want it to be. This is Ken’s choice gun for when he retires. He wants it to be his “go to gun” hanging over the door. He had a vision for the gun and chose to send it to me because he believed I could create his vision. It’s not often you get the chance to work for a living legend and even less common to have the honor to call him your friend. I am grateful for the opportunity not only to work with him but also to work on a firearm of which only a few 100 were ever produced. He trusted me to do this gun for him, and I was glad to do it. It has been surreal to work on a firearm for someone I have looked up to for 25 years. I am truly grateful for the experience and our friendship.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Lever%20Love/100_4031.jpg

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Lever%20Love/100_4032.jpg

rob_s
10-03-11, 10:04
Did the cut-down work you did on the above gun require you to remove and reinstall the front sight?

I recently purchased a Winchester M70 Featherweight Compact, and have been looking for someone to install fixed sights on the gun. Would this be something you could do? What about cutting the barrel, threading it for a suppressor mount/flash hider, and installing sights?

Hizzie
10-03-11, 10:15
Very nice. What rear sight is that?

woodandsteel
10-03-11, 14:57
What an awesome looking rifle. Very nice!

40Arpent
10-03-11, 16:07
Incredible work, incredible story. My hat is off....

Heavy Metal
10-03-11, 16:17
Ken's future fishing companion I bet.

I figured he might want a Micro on that sucker!

Lost River
10-03-11, 17:19
It just so happens that I have one of those 336 Marlins in 44 Magnum!

I have given it to my dad because he wanted to play with one. It will not be cut down though, as I already have a 16" Marlin .44 magnum.

Fun little guns. That being said, for out in the Rocky Mountain West where we live, they do not have the practical application that they would back east where ranges are likely to be significantly shorter.

Typical western ranges:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/092.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/Mackayjun10021.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/030.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/004-5.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/009.jpg

Still, they are entertaining, and if one was up for an additional challenge of sneaking through the north side timber pockets looking to poke an elk through the lungs.... :smile::smile::smile:

TOrrock
10-03-11, 17:29
Outstanding.

the judge
10-03-11, 21:41
THAT, is an awesome looking Marlin. Fantastic work there. Ken is a lucky man!

Sam
10-04-11, 06:13
Beautiful gun Mr. Smith. I can picture Ken wearing a Milt Sparks HSR holster with a Smith & Wesson model 29 in it and this lever gun in his hand as he stares out his front porch.

Mr. Smith
10-04-11, 07:05
The gun is a nice gun and I love the the little carbine 44mag guns.

I can't express the things Ken is to me and has done for me it is truly like a dream to call him my friend.
The guy just knows the real story.

Army Chief
10-04-11, 08:03
One of the things that I like so much about this rifle is the same thing that I like about Ken: both are unapologetically Old School, and yet, in many ways, more relevant than ever. Though delightfully understated, there is still tremendous capability here.

Great project. Great story. Great gun.

AC

cmoore
10-04-11, 08:48
Fantastic work as always

Skyyr
10-04-11, 12:35
Mr. Smith,

If I may, I have a 13 year-old 336AS (now known as the "W" model). I'm wanting to keep the stock as like-new - do you recommend regular oiling of the stock? I've heard no consistent answer; some say to wipe it down with a soft-cloth only, others say oil it, others say wax it, others say use Murphy's oil soap, etc.

Any suggestions? I'd love to have my 336 last my long enough to hand down to my own children some day.

Mr. Smith
10-05-11, 06:57
Thanks guys

To the stock ? I would say you can not go wrong with Renaissance wax.

Sam
10-05-11, 20:33
I spoke with Ken tonight, he had a lot of wonderful things to say about the Mr. Smith and the wonderful work he's done.

Failure2Stop
10-05-11, 21:07
Whole lotta Zen in those pics.

Mr. Smith
10-06-11, 08:38
The gun is just as it should be thin and light.
As to Ken he is a true gentleman and a good friend.
He gave me the opportunity to do what I love and tell people who I did it for I could not ask for more.

Just so people know Ken is a big part of the reason for the community we have now in the tactics and small arms world.

Thanks.

Sam
10-06-11, 18:53
As to Ken he is a true gentleman and a good friend.

Just so people know Ken is a big part of the reason for the community we have now in the tactics and small arms world.

Thanks.

True statements. I've told Ken many times to his face that he influenced my shooting, training, equipment selection and mindset more so than Jeff Cooper.

Mr. Smith
10-06-11, 19:14
True statements. I've told Ken many times to his face that he influenced my shooting, training, equipment selection and mindset more so than Jeff Cooper.

People don't know what Ken has done for us all he is a true legend.

beep
10-10-11, 19:37
Beautiful gun. great work as always.

SeriousStudent
10-10-11, 21:34
What an American rifle, for an American original. A .44 Magnum lever action for Mr. Hackathorn. It makes perfect sense.

Mr. Smith, I wish you many smiles in the future, when you recall this project.

I need to save some nickels, and send you a rifle. I almost don't care what rifle I send, I just want to see what you do with it.

Best wishes for continued success.

Mr. Smith
10-11-11, 08:07
Thank you

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-11-11, 23:02
I bought a 336 when I moved to CA. I had no use for it so I sold it for a loss. Now that Im going back to CO in a year, I wish I could have that back. Mr. Smith, I'll be contacting you about building me a rifle!

Matt O
10-13-11, 07:58
You are definitely an artist Mr. Smith, but my bank account hates you. :D

Every time I see a picture of one of the rifles you've done, it makes me want to get a lever gun.

Roodoodog
10-14-11, 03:06
Beautiful Rifle. Love the timber finish.

Nathan_Bell
10-14-11, 14:32
Looks great, just like everything else I have seen you turn out.

Mr. Smith
10-31-11, 16:11
Thanks guys.

Rob Haught
10-31-11, 19:56
I had the opportunity to shoot this rifle Sunday. What a nice package! Joe had several other custom lever guns to show and tell. Anyone looking for a package should look no further than Superior Firearms. Ive got a couple projects that just went to the front burner! I have a 336 in 30-30 that Joe built last year and its a very neat rifle that Ive enjoyed quite a bit. I have a 444 and 35 that Im going to get in the pipeline this month. To say Ken is happy with it is an understatement, he held it like a new puppy and grinned ear to ear!

SeriousStudent
10-31-11, 21:30
Chief, that is awesome. :)

You know it's a special rifle, when someone with Mr. Hackathorn's experience grins that way. I had no doubt he would be delighted. I hope he uses it for many years, and in good health.

Mr. Smith
11-01-11, 12:55
I had the opportunity to shoot this rifle Sunday. What a nice package! Joe had several other custom lever guns to show and tell. Anyone looking for a package should look no further than Superior Firearms. Ive got a couple projects that just went to the front burner! I have a 336 in 30-30 that Joe built last year and its a very neat rifle that Ive enjoyed quite a bit. I have a 444 and 35 that Im going to get in the pipeline this month. To say Ken is happy with it is an understatement, he held it like a new puppy and grinned ear to ear!

Thank you Rob I love to work with guys like you and Ken.
It is nice to have friends like you and Ken.

I am living my dream!

BSHNT2015
11-02-11, 09:26
beautiful, an piece of working art:)

Mr. Smith
11-02-11, 09:36
Thanks

micky_blue
11-04-11, 13:38
Joe, I am so eager to get my Marlin back from you. Wish we didn't have that little debacle/delay thing happen, but you are pushing on through.

If anyone wants to know, a parts supplier sent the wrong parts multiple times and were very tardy in doing it to boot.

micky

LRB45
11-15-11, 05:53
Thanks guys

To the stock ? I would say you can not go wrong with Renaissance wax.

Very nice rifle, love old lever actions.

Another quick question if you don't mind.

I have a old Winchester 62A pump .22 and have been wondering what to apply to the stock since some of the original finish is missing? Will this wax work or something else better?

thanks

Mr. Smith
11-15-11, 07:05
Very nice rifle, love old lever actions.

Another quick question if you don't mind.

I have a old Winchester 62A pump .22 and have been wondering what to apply to the stock since some of the original finish is missing? Will this wax work or something else better?

thanks

Wax will work but if the gun is old I would go with a tung oil just to feed the old wood.
Then you can wax it if you like.