PDA

View Full Version : ARE SP1 CAR'S RELIABLE

SIMBA-LEE
10-03-11, 11:20
Just had a buddy inquire about the reliability of Colt SP1 carbines. Apparently he has found a "like new" thirty year old CAR that he is thinking of buying but was concerned that SP1's might not be as reliable as A2's or M4's. I don't know the answer so I thought I'd ask "the experts".

TOrrock
10-03-11, 12:26
Just had a buddy inquire about the reliability of Colt SP1 carbines. Apparently he has found a "like new" thirty year old CAR that he is thinking of buying but was concerned that SP1's might not be as reliable as A2's or M4's. I don't know the answer so I thought I'd ask "the experts".

I've owned several over the last 20 years or so, and they've always performed 100% with good quality ammo and magazines, just like any other quality carbine.

Run it wet with a good lube.

Co-worker from a few years back getting some trigger time on one of my old SP-1 Carbines...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Range%20Day%20Aug%2005%20full/RangeDay08-07-05007-2.jpg

SIMBA-LEE
10-03-11, 15:09
Thanks, I passed on your info. He was concerned because of the VietNam era M-16 malfunction complaints and all I could remember was they were caused by improper powder in the ammo and incorrect cleaning & lube procedures.

scottryan
10-03-11, 17:46
Thanks, I passed on your info. He was concerned because of the VietNam era M-16 malfunction complaints and all I could remember was they were caused by improper powder in the ammo and incorrect cleaning & lube procedures.

SP1 carbines have all the improvements made to correct these Vietnam era problems.

The vietnam era problems predate the SP1 carbine by atleast 5 years.

Todd.K
10-03-11, 21:07
SP1 carbines have all the improvements made to correct these Vietnam era problems.

But I believe they predate H buffers and carbine extractor springs.

Easy to update if needed, and the springs should be replaced on a used rifle with unknown round count anyway.

hypersport750
10-05-11, 12:24
I have a 1982 SP1 carbine as my issued long gun for LEO purposes. Used it in the NRA patrol rifle instructor class and shoot it on a regular basis. Very reliable. Only one jam when I let it get too dry. As accurate with iron sights as newer Colt M4 style carbines (even as accurate as others with optics). My 2 cents

carshooter
10-06-11, 14:04
My first AR-15 was an SP-1 CAR. It was flawless.

In fact, I never had a malfunction until much later when I purchased one of the commercial clones.