PDA

View Full Version : What if we didn't live in a free country?

Irish
10-03-11, 13:12
Judge Andrew Napolitano - http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1191135863001/what-if-we-didnt-live-in-a-free-country/

I think Judge Napolitano nails it more often than not. What are your thoughts?

kwelz
10-03-11, 13:43
Inever know what to expect from Fox. But this was actually good.

Irish
10-03-11, 13:48
Inever know what to expect from Fox. But this was actually good.

It also begs the question - What if we don't live in a free country? What do we do about it? - Napolitano

Irish
10-03-11, 15:13
The video takes approximately 10 seconds to load and the "black box" will go away.

glocktogo
10-03-11, 16:10
Dude's got a point.

What if no one cares anymore? :(

NWPilgrim
10-03-11, 16:42
Spot on. JUDGE Napolitano is usually a harsh critic of too much government and privacy intrusion. Each of the hundred points or so he makes is worthy of an expose and hanging. :D

One item I did not hear specifically mentioned is "What if the government could seize your home even if iti is fully paid off?" Property taxes are insidious and the main reason normal people can no longer live in family heritage locations which became Hollywood hot spots: Aspen, Sun Valley, Jackson Hole, etc. And why elderly retired people on fixed incomes are often forced to move out of their long paid for house and into an apt.

I did like that he mentions the insidious nature of banks. Start a war, lend tons of cash to countries to fight, then use their debt as a hammer to force favoritism and their policies.

I think from the video it is easy to say we are not living in a truly free country. And the gigantic question: What do we do about it?

I think the correct thing to do would be to dissolve our association with the Federal Reserve and forever manage our own debt and currency, preferably one based on PMs and leaving within our means, and very clear restrictions about going to war and "foreign entanglements." Also, the wholesale elimination of every form of national welfare. If a state wants to do welfare then fine and good. But the nation has no business doing so.

I am reminded of Davy Crockett's firm stand against tax payer funded charity when he was in Congress. No matter how deserved and laudable a charity cause may seem (e.g., a widow of a war hero), it is absolutely wrong for Congress to take money out of people's pockets to give to others. Davy even offered to assist the widow personally and challenged all fellow Congressmen to do so as well, but not spend one penny of taxpayer funds. No others took up the challenge when it came to their OWN money.

But realistically, I don't think we have the societal backbone to force the necessary changes. And as evidenced by his long list of entanglements by bankers from the get go, they will fight tooth and nail to hold onto their advantages and impose the most restrictions on citizens. As a nation we are screwed I am afraid. Even if we crash economically (or WHEN), there is every likelihood that in the rebuilding these same globalist bankers will weasel their way into that process as well.

Which really leaves us with a forever doomed political system and that if we want freedom we have to seek it as individuals. we may not be able to achieve total freedom but I think we can do things to increase our freedom beyond what the government allows us.

One principle I learned in the IT business is the concept of using buffering mechanisms to change "tightly coupled systems" into "loosely coupled systems". Examples are memory buffers, network buffers, and database buffers. Buffers allow systems to continue to operate independently while still sharing information as it is convenient for either party.

How does this translate to individual freedom? Create your own buffers to remove your immediate dependencies on banking, corporate and government resources: food stocks, cash reserves, etc. If you don't have to run to the local FEMA shelter for every storm, then you gain some freedom to make your own choices.

Another way is to learn to fix things yourself and have the tools to do so. Emergency repairs can force you to take out loans or ask for assistance. You can usually fix things for pennies on the dollar once you have the skill and tools. This also leads to buying things that don't break so easily and are designed to be repaired. A very minor example" I recently wanted to replace my 20 yr old Casio G-Shock watch. I have replaced the bands numerous times, replaced batteries, o-rings. It still runs fine but the numbers are pretty small and the night light is dim, and the lens is so scratched I can hardly read the digital face anymore. I looked at some Timex watches that have huge numbers, but noticed the higher priced ones all had molded bands that looked custom fitted for that model. When I would have to replace the band it would have to be exactly that model band. Instead I opted for a cheaper Timex model that has the standard pinned plastic band that can be replaced with leather, plastic or nylon ones.

The third means of more freedom I think is owning your own business, or being a free lance consultant or project worker. The more dependent you are on one employer's paycheck the fewer options you have. These other options entail more complication and burden but offer much more independence.

And of course there is the issue of debt. Debt is the lever bankers use to corrupt our political system, and is no better at a personal level. Reducing or eliminating personal debt is critical if we want to increase our freedom.

The more people that choose to live increased independence lifestyles, the more we as a society will seriously consider reforming the government/banker entanglements. If we remain dependent individuals then we will keep asking the government to do things for us.

Abraxas
10-04-11, 06:12
It is a very good rant. People are just now starting to wake up to what has been happening for generations, but has gained speed over the last 30 years.

armakraut
10-04-11, 07:44
If we didn't live in a free country, we'd have people lighting themselves on fire before they get sent to debtors prison.

Err, never mind.

http://freekeene.com/2011/06/16/thomas-james-ball-self-immolated-in-protest-of-the-justice-system/

Irish
10-04-11, 10:26
If we didn't live in a free country, we'd have people lighting themselves on fire before they get sent to debtors prison.

Err, never mind.

http://freekeene.com/2011/06/16/thomas-james-ball-self-immolated-in-protest-of-the-justice-system/

This is far from an isolated incident although it is more attention getting than most suicides due to self-immolation. The amount of people who feel the need to end their lives due to the government "coming after them" every year is nothing short of staggering. In one area of law in particular many men commit suicide every year due to the ravenous prosecutors who take everything and anything they possibly can when it comes to "child support" leaving them penniless and destitute with barely any rights at all.

It's unfortunate the gentleman wasn't able to reach out to someone in time before he felt overwhelmed by what he was facing. It's really not all that uncommon for someone to run afoul of a government employee and for them to spend millions of tax dollars just to bury the person due to a personal vendetta and to further their career. I understand where he was coming from, facing climbing Mt. Everest, and yet I would've chose to continue the fight to the bitter end.

hatt
10-04-11, 11:05
It also begs the question - What if we don't live in a free country? What do we do about it? - Napolitano
Create a new government agency and pass some more laws? That's how we usually address a problem. :suicide2:

Everyone thinks I'm crazy but I say every law has to be voted on every ten years or it disappears from the books. We'd have a lot fewer nonsense laws on the books and much more freedom.

jmp45
10-04-11, 11:36
Everyone thinks I'm crazy but I say every law has to be voted on every ten years or it disappears from the books. We'd have a lot fewer nonsense laws on the books and much more freedom.

I like that idea, that would eliminate most of the bs that's been passed.

Cobra66
10-04-11, 11:49
A lot of good points made in that video. Certainly the arrow fired by the founding fathers has missed it's mark with our current government. Sadly though, I can't think of any other nation in the world that offers better.

The one question I have is about his reference to the Civil War. I have heard this mentioned before by others, that it was little more than a Federal power grab. But one of the few real jobs of a federal government is protecting the rights of the citizens, and when half the nation is denying those rights to a large percentage of its people, what else is the federal government to do?

Could someone please help me understand this line of thought? :confused:

RancidSumo
10-04-11, 12:31
I haven't watched the video yet (I will tonight) but thought I'd offer my opinion on the post about the Civil War.

Most people think that the war was over slavery but that is not the case. Lincoln didn't care about slavery (he may have personally but it was not the reason for the war)-

My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union.

http://showcase.netins.net/web/creative/lincoln/speeches/greeley.htm

The war was over preserving the union and not allowing states to leave it. IF the war had actually been about ending slavery then it would be a different story. As it stands though, it was nothing more than the federal government expanding its authority.

SteyrAUG
10-04-11, 17:59

Err, never mind.

If I have learned anything from this forum it is that he was completely guilty and solely responsible and that is why he could himself. An innocent or righteous person would have simply manned up and fixed it.

:sarcastic:

armakraut
10-04-11, 18:12
If suffering in silence from multiple injustices is the mark of manhood in a cohesive society, these people would be a lot happier in Japan.

Irish
10-04-11, 18:15
If Judge Napolitano ever ran for office he would have my vote.

armakraut
10-05-11, 03:24
Big +1

uwe1
10-05-11, 10:02
If Judge Napolitano ever ran for office he would have my vote.

Mine too, easily.

J-Dub
10-05-11, 13:17

Err, never mind.

That guy was...

1. Apparently very poor at paperwork
2. A dumbass
3. P.O.S.

The world is a better place.

If you become unemployed you can contact your domestic relations office and they will work with your on child support payments.

Of course maybe he couldve had custody if he hadnt beat his daughter.

Irish
10-05-11, 13:34
That guy was...

1. Apparently very poor at paperwork
2. A dumbass
3. P.O.S.

The world is a better place.

If you become unemployed you can contact your domestic relations office and they will work with your on child support payments.

Of course maybe he couldve had custody if he hadnt beat his daughter.

Pretty harsh judgement without knowing all the facts. This guy is far from alone and some estimates state that as much as 18,000 men commit suicide a year due to similar circumstances involving divorce and child support. Smacking a child doesn't constitute beating in any sense of the word.

armakraut
10-05-11, 14:22
Pretty harsh judgement without knowing all the facts. This guy is far from alone and some estimates state that as much as 18,000 men commit suicide a year due to similar circumstances involving divorce and child support. Smacking a child doesn't constitute beating in any sense of the word.

You might as well complaint about artificially high gas prices to a person who thinks that common people shouldn't own an automobile. Empathy is a four letter word.

Redmanfms
10-05-11, 22:46
We have a seriously flawed and perverted way of dealing with "family justice." It would behoove people to research the political leanings of the people who have authored some of these laws and question the actual goal of those laws.