PDA

View Full Version : question on the 9mm usp sd

St.Michael
10-03-11, 17:27
So I was going to pick up an HK 9mm tactical, but in reading HK's website it looks like this one isn't worth it as it doesn't have nearly the same features as the .45. Can anyone give me some info on this if they have one?

# Threaded O-ring barrel with polygonal bore profile (no O-ring barrel on 9 mm variants)
# Match grade trigger (not present on 9 mm USP SD)
# Adjustable trigger stop (not present on 9 mm USP SD)

That's from the website. I am now not sure sure if I should get one in 9 or just get another .45

654Boomer
10-04-11, 11:30
Greetings,

I do not have the USP9 SD, but do have a USP9, for which I bought a factory HK threaded barrel. It is essentially the same now as the SD.

If in your shoes, I would opt for the .45 ACP, either in the "USP Tactical" or HK45 or HK45 Compact, and add the HK factory threaded barrel, if you want to shoot suppressed. The USP .45 ACP Tactical comes with all the goodies you mentioned, far cheaper than you could build one yourself by purchasing the USP .45ACP and adding the items (match trigger, barrel, sights, etc.) yourself.

I seen in the new HK catalog yesterday that they are now offering an HK45 Compact Tactical--it is in the catalog, but not posted to HK's website yet. It comes with a threaded barrel and 10 round magazine with extended floorplate.

Good luck with your choice!

Vlobb
10-04-11, 11:45
The USP SD 9mm is essentially a USP 9mm with a thread barrel and tall sights. That's it. If you want a real USP Tactical model go for the .45 or .40, they both have all the things you listed the SD doesn't. Also, the 9mm SD won't be stamped "Tactical" on the slide, only the 40 and 45 are becasue the 9mm really isn't a Tac model. It's just draped with the fake tinsel of a USP Tac.

I've always wanted a USP SD 9mm with match trigger and jet funnel. Maybe when I leave NJ.

St.Michael
10-04-11, 12:01
Yea one of the reasons I was looking at the "tactical" lines was for the trigger. I guess I am going to have to go with the .45 then. Or maybe look at the .40. I don't care much for .40 though. It seems like the .40 would be in the middle of either having more rounds or a just straight up larger bullet. Plus I was looking at 9mm because of the cost these days and not wanting to buy .45 anymore. I have my thousand rounds of .45 saved, but I never hit the range anymore with my 1911. I think I am going to have to go rent one and shoot it in .45

For anyone who has shot it is the pull in double action better on a tactical then a normal USP?

Also if you buy a tactical does it come with a package or certain bag. I noticed people selling tactical USPs have an HK bag with em. Just wondering

654Boomer
10-04-11, 15:21
Greetings,

The double action trigger pull on a USP .45 Tactical with match trigger is nicer than the USP, but . . . it is not the same as a well-tuned 1911. But it is, in my opinion, a nice combat trigger when broken in. I think that the most from the match trigger is gained when it is HK factory/service installed, vice doing it yourself. I am not that mechanically inclined. :sarcastic:

The "flat gun bag" or "soft case" as it is called, has removeable/velcro inserts that hold a suppressor, spare magazines, cleaning kit, etc., and was sold with the new USP Tacticals, USP Experts, and the Mk23, up until about 2005 - 2006 (the last 5 years or so) . . . heck maybe even longer. They do attract a premium, when you can find them. Most that I have seen for sale are about $125 - $150, but I have seen people pay $150 - $200, just for the soft case on ebay/forums (without the cleaning kit).

I think Eagle Industries manufactured them for HK. They came in gray, black, and woodland camo patterns. I have seen several Mk23s come in the woodland camo and black patterns and most of the USP Tacticals I have seen are in the gray or black patterns.

Nowadays, the USP Tacticals come in the HK black plastic cases with egg-crate foam inserts; extras are available between $6.50 to $15.00, depending upon the vendor.

Good luck . . . you won't regret getting an HK USP Tactical in .45 ACP. Built like a tank!

St.Michael
10-04-11, 16:37
Cool man thanks for the info. I really can't wait. I am really really leaning towards picking it up. Not just because I love HK, but I also plan on in the future picking up a can so I am just planning ahead. I am without a doubt a USP guy though. Love em and can't get enough of them. I am going to try and hit up the range that I am pretty sure has them for rent so I can shoot one first. That's too bad they don't come with bags anymore. Would have been nice. :)