PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me Your G34 Experiences

blackscot
10-04-11, 07:03
I'm posting this here instead of the handgun board becasue my interest in the G34 is solely for competition.

First for context, I am currently more familiar with a gen3 G19 than any other model, having daily carried and monthly IDPA'd with it for going on 6 years. With now nearly 8K rounds through it, the trigger is pretty much wonderful.

Last year I proved to myself that I could make IDPA SSP EX with the G19, so now I am considering some kind of game-only gun, just for the schitzengiggles. Naturally the G34 is an obvious choice, and appears to be de rigueur for SSP division these days. The M&P Pro is also popular, but I have tried a couple of the M&P9's and the grip just doesn't fit my hand as well.

I was impressed at a couple of recent local-monthly IDPA matches by some shooters using G34's, which seemed to have hardly any muzzle flip. The slide just cycled straight forward and back, almost like a sewing machine.

Yesterday I store-fondled a gen4 G34 for the first time. Obviously the much longer slide and barrel made a big impression. I also think I would need the gen4 version, since this is a full-sized frame and I don't have big hands. I also like the slightly more grippy gen4 surface texture. One thing I did not like was the trigger: very mushy being totally unbroken-in, compared to my ultra-crisp G19.

I have kept the G19 totally stock other than Warren night sights, but I know there are all kinds of aftermarket replacement components. One I would be particularly interested in would be a better trigger, one that would be at-least acceptable starting out without needing K's of rounds to break in. Is any particular replacement trigger widely considered the preferred choice?

The factory sights probably also need to go, but I don't yet know whether I would prefer plain irons to something more hi-tech like fiber optic.

This gun would also get a game-only holster (unlike the the G19 that always rides in an IWB). I am thinking the Blade Tech kydex OWB, but am open to suggestions. With this model though, I could later add the drop-offset part if I ever wanted to go back to shooting USPSA.

So that's where I'm headed with this. Please convey any relevant thoughts -- thanks.

10-04-11, 12:16
With little work a new G34 trigger will match if not be superior to your G19. Extremely popular pistol, you like the G19 so you can't go wrong. They are popular for good reason.

prc77
10-04-11, 22:57
Just a thought
I would also look at the G35 40 S&W. minor PF super easy to shoot hardly any muzzle flip.Major PF easy to achive and very managable recoil

esskay
10-05-11, 01:34
Are you planning to shoot IDPA, USPSA, or some other type of competition?

They aren't cheap but you can't get much better than Vanek or Glockworx triggers. I have a competition-only Vanek SGM trigger in my G34 that is fantastic. You might not want to ever go back to a stock trigger after running one of those!

Guys also run a lighter recoil spring which can help smooth out the recoil impulse.

If you are used to Warren sights, just get the same rear sight (I prefer plain black) and the thin front sight with fiber optic insert. Great set of sights.

Then get some grip tape and a mag well and you're good to go!

blackscot
10-05-11, 05:24
Thanks for the input!

Are you planning to shoot IDPA, USPSA, or some other type of competition?

Good point. I will definitely be sticking to IDPA for awhile, but could go back to USPSA eventually (I shot it for 10 years before "switching over" 8 years ago).

.....I would also look at the G35 40 S&W. minor PF super easy to shoot hardly any muzzle flip.Major PF easy to achive and very managable recoil

As per the above, major PF not an immediate issue but could be if I go back to USPSA.

Also another major sticking point is I no-way have the time for reloading for the foreseeable future (one of the reasons I eventually dropped out of USPSA). Anything other than 9mm virtually requires reloading (unless you are Donald Trump).

esskay
10-05-11, 12:42
So for an IDPA production gun, I would consider:
* production legal aftermarket trigger (I like Glockworx or Vanek, there's a Vogel trigger that's supposed to be good but I haven't tried one)
* Warren sights with front fiber (bonus: consistent with your G19!)
* lighter recoil spring
* grip tape -- I find this helps a lot with making the grip feel better especially if you don't have large hands, you need to get hands-on to check it out if you haven't before. I like these: http://www.ericwesselman.com/store/Glock.html The tape on the front strap really mutes the annoyance of the finger grooves if they are in the wrong place for your hand.

That's it, you're pretty much GTG!

Magsz
10-05-11, 13:20
Are you guys noticing a significant recoil impulse between the G17 and the G34?

I like the cycle speed of the smaller, shorter barreled guns, ala the G19 (factory spring weights) but i tend to be more accurate or i should say the sight radius on the longer guns is more forgiving.

I dont have enough time on a G34 to really say whether or not there is a definitive difference.

One thing i DO know is that there is a DEFINITE timing difference between the G19 and the G17 after shooting a G19 exclusively for six months and only this past weekend going to a G17.

Shawn.L
10-05-11, 14:09
As per the above, major PF not an immediate issue but could be if I go back to USPSA.

If your shooting production class in USPSA everyone is minor regardless of caliber, so it doesnt matter, get the 34.
If you shoot IDPA theres no minor/major in SSP anyway.

The only way thats going to matter on a 34 or 35 choice is if you want to race gun it and go open, or go limited or L-10 and go head to head with the 2011's.

ST911
10-05-11, 22:30
I have a G34 that I shoot occasionally, but sees heavy use as a loaner and student gun. It's proven as reliable as its smaller 9mm variants, has a very nice balance to it, and is a soft shooter. With a mounted light, the gun has an overall balance, heft, and feel that is very agreeable in both dry handling and live fire.

I use either the standard coil spring and connector, or a NY1/(-) connector combo. The sights on it are TNS.

When I need a Glock to be reliable, I use only OEM components.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/Skintop911/MISC/IMG_4331.jpg

blackscot
10-06-11, 06:03
If your shooting production class in USPSA everyone is minor regardless of caliber, so it doesnt matter, get the 34.
If you shoot IDPA theres no minor/major in SSP anyway.

The only way thats going to matter on a 34 or 35 choice is if you want to race gun it and go open, or go limited or L-10 and go head to head with the 2011's.

Exactly right.

Shows how out-of-it/over-the-hill I am -- haven't shot USPSA since before there was a production division, which is what I would enter were I to go back with a G34.

I'll be sticking with IDPA for the time being though. Found I really didn't have time for both during the couple of years I was trying to overlap.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

Jesse Tischauser
10-10-11, 13:23
Here is the Glock 34 I run in Outlaw 3 Gun where there is no power factor to worry about. My sponsor Accurate Iron built it up right for me.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt219/jtischauser/Glock%2034%20%20-%203%20Gun/G34Production3Gun.png

Here is my USPSA Production G34. Again, my sponsor Accurate Iron built it up right for me.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt219/jtischauser/Glock%2034%20-%20Production/Glock34-AccurateIronWork.jpg

blackscot
10-11-11, 08:17
Great pics --thanks!

Alaskapopo
10-12-11, 23:45
Whoops my answer was already covered by another poster should have read the whole thread.
Sorry.