PDA

View Full Version : M&P Front Sight Dovetail Width

orionz06
10-04-11, 10:27
Does anyone have an accurate measurement for what the front sight dovetail should be, or what a new front sight should measure? I recently had a sight come loose and am trying to pinpoint the problem to the gun or sight prior to taking any action requiring me to ship the gun out.

C4IGrant
10-04-11, 11:35
Does anyone have an accurate measurement for what the front sight dovetail should be, or what a new front sight should measure? I recently had a sight come loose and am trying to pinpoint the problem to the gun or sight prior to taking any action requiring me to ship the gun out.

.253 is what the base of the front sight should be (around).

C4

scootle
10-09-11, 21:50
.253 is what the base of the front sight should be (around).

C4

Thanks for that info Grant. Once I get my Ameriglo front sight off again, I will make a measurement to help solve the problem(s) I mention in my other thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=90526).

I just calipered my OEM front sight and it's 6.52mm (0.256") at the base...

orionz06
10-09-11, 21:56
I have the same exact issues.

My sight is the correct size.

scootle
10-09-11, 22:09
I have the same exact issues.

My sight is the correct size.

:(

I assume by correct size you mean you are at 0.253"? I'm mostly trying to sort out how I should tackle this... either by getting a "bigger" sight from Ameriglo vs. contacting S&W to say, "hey, i think my front dovetail is bigger than spec..."

I'll keep in touch to let you know how I sort this out as well. Best of luck!

dougwg
10-09-11, 23:15
S&W M&P Front Sight

Theoretical sharp corner at the base of the dove-tail is .262" and the angle is 60 deg included.

side note: the Glock rear is the same (.262") except it's 30 deg included.

scootle
10-10-11, 12:39
Thanks for the info.

The other dimension that matters is the thickness of the sight base... I calipered my stock OEM sight at 1.70mm (0.067"), but it incorporates a slight curvature that actually drives the effective height to 1.77mm (0.070").

Maybe the curvature is what the Ameriglo part lacks... it looks completely flat.