PDA

View Full Version : General-purpose scope for Marlin 336 .30-30?

Skyyr
10-04-11, 12:21
Hey guys,

I've got an old Marlin 336 .30-30 with an old (1998'ish) Simmons 3-9x scope. It's a decent scope, but 1) it's big and 2) it's too much scope (in my opinion) for the .30-30 cartridge.

Is there an ideal scope for this gun? I was thinking an Accupoint, or maybe even a magnified 2x Aimpoint, but I don't have any experience with those on a lever gun. I'd like to make this a pick-up-n-go hunting gun.

Thanks!

J-Dub
10-04-11, 12:33
Do you want magnification? If you do and DONT want to mount it in a scout config. i would look at a weaver 1-3x. I had one on my ar for a while and was pleased with it (its light weight, clear glass).

No mag. i dont think you could go wrong with an aimpoint micro mount on a XS scout rail.

David Thomas
10-04-11, 12:35
Leupold 1-4x20 VX-II is my favorite.

It is what I have on my go to 30-30. I have tried various others.
2.5 fixed can work, but is same size, so I prefer the 1-4. Anything larger is too heavy and out of place (on this platform) in my opinion.

I also use talley base and rings.

Skyyr
10-04-11, 14:13
Do you guys prefer dovetail rails? Or 1913 rails? Are there any picatinny rails that will fit a 336?

Lost River
10-06-11, 22:06
I have a 16" 336 in 30-30 that I topped with a Weaver 1-3 variable.

It seems to be about the ideal size for the rifle. I have been rather impressed with the overall quality of the optic. It is a great little scope.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/054.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/056-1.jpg

Failure2Stop
10-07-11, 05:33
I think that a 1-4 accupoint with triangle would be great for the application and capability of a .30-30.

An H-1 with the OEM mount would also be neat.

kerplode
10-07-11, 14:41
I have my 336 set up with an Aimpoint H1 on an ADM AD-T1-L QD mount situated just forward of the receiver on an XS Lever Rail. I REALLY like this setup...Fast, light, efficient. It's pretty much perfect.

Of course, having Joe @ Superior Firearms work his magic on the base rifle probably contributes significantly to the overall perfection of this little rifle. Still, though, I think the Micro is the way to go.

tpd223
10-11-11, 10:43
I have my 336 set up with an Aimpoint H1 on an ADM AD-T1-L QD mount situated just forward of the receiver on an XS Lever Rail. I REALLY like this setup...Fast, light, efficient. It's pretty much perfect.

Of course, having Joe @ Superior Firearms work his magic on the base rifle probably contributes significantly to the overall perfection of this little rifle. Still, though, I think the Micro is the way to go.

I've thought about doing the same type of thing.

Does the irons co-witness through the optic on that XS rail, or do you have to remove the H1 to use them?

kerplode
10-11-11, 12:27
Unfortunately, even with the factory low mount the H1 sits a little too high to co-witness. Given that, I decided a low QD mount was a good compromise since it doesn't add a lot of weight or height and gives me the capability to quickly pop the RDS off should I need or want to use the irons.