PDA

View Full Version : Keep the Glock 26 to complement G19 & G17?

Warg
10-04-11, 13:56
I recently picked up a very reasonably priced 3G G26 as I thought I might want a slightly smaller 9mm for AIWB/pocket carry and for excursions with lighter clothing, biking, etc. I have not purchased holsters yet and am not sure I want to keep it given what I'm reading about holster retention and the limitations of the short grip. Further, it's really too big for pocket carry with most of my pants. I've some cargo pants that will likely work, but there's still that tiny grip to deal with. Wondering if a 15 round mag with spacer would remedy this?

Before I invest in a bunch of mags, holsters and sights i'd like to solicit some input on whether to keep it or sell/trade it.

FWIW, I do have a buyer who is interested in swapping with his G19which would provide a backup for mine.

Warg
10-04-11, 14:07
One more remark: I shoot this pistol slightly more accurately than the G17 and G19 using the 10 round mag and short grip (pinky under the mag). When I use the 15 round mags, for some reason my shooting suffers. My grip seems to be jacking up my groups with these Glocks.

Of course, it probably doesn't matter if I can't get the gun ouf the holster quickly.

Littlelebowski
10-04-11, 14:11
I'd trade for the G19.

samuse
10-04-11, 14:40
I'd trade for the G19.

This.. All day.

The G-26 doesn't do much for me but I love a 19. I only carry concealed.

JHC
10-04-11, 15:24
Based upon my ccw experience since 1981 incl NPE's and not being a very bulky fellow; even though I carry a G19 about 90% of the time, there are times when the G26 works whereas if I didn't have one, I'd have to go j-frame and that is unacceptable to me as a primary.

I would keep it. And keep it in its smallest config. I think it would be very suitable "spare" for your 19 until you add a 2nd 19. You aren't going to diminish it value by shooting it so do like moderator here Greg Bell did and shoot it extensively for awhile and see if you don't find it fills a niche for you.

Grizzly16
10-04-11, 16:05
I did something similiar with a g27/g23 recently. I had a g22 and g27. The 27 saw 95% of my carry and it was usually with an extended mag. So when a chance to trade it for a g23 rtf came up I jumped on it. I don't really miss the 27 butt here are times it would be nice to have back to appendix carry with no extended mag. I would not switch back to the 27 over 23. But I'd gladly trade the g22 for a 27 to complement the g23.

BillSWPA
10-04-11, 16:12
Keep the G26.

I own both a G26 and G19, and the G26 gets carried more often, even though I can shoot the G19 slightly better.

As I type this, I am sitting in my office with the G26 in my right front pocket, in a DeSantis Superfly pocket holster, wearing appropriately sized (for concealed carry) dress slacks. I couldn't hide a G19 without a concealment garment, but carried the G26 daily all summer.

I am currently self-employed, so I get to carry what I want. The G26 is a bit bulkier than I'd like for a legal non-permissive environment, but I can and have made it work in that role.

When I first started IDPA competition many years ago, the G26 was the only suitable gun I owned. It worked just fine in that role.

If legal or economic circumstances ever limited me to just one gun, it would be the G26, based on the combination of shootability, concealability, reliability, and durability that it offers.

If, for one reason or another, you decided that circumstances warranted the extra burden, you could carry the G26 as a BUG to the G17 or G19, using the magazines for the larger gun to reload the smaller one if necessary.

GotAmmo
10-04-11, 16:16
I have a G27 and for the Florida weather PLUS riding a motorcycle alot.. I use a chest holster made by Survival Sheath

http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm

the retention is tight but it gives me piece of mind when riding a motorcycle .. so if you mountain bike it should do ...

I run pierce grips on my mags or magpul ext and cant be happier

PA PATRIOT
10-04-11, 16:23
I run a G-26 with a 15rd magazine and a spacer and found my grip slipping a bit due to the slick surface of the spacer. To cure this I just cut a piece bicycle inter-tube and placed it over the spacer. Lately I have been testing the Pearce Grip +2 magazine extension and I like this combo a lot as it still offers a compact profile but allows a full grip.

Warg
10-04-11, 17:27
I run a G-26 with a 15rd magazine and a spacer and found my grip slipping a bit due to the slick surface of the spacer. To cure this I just cut a piece bicycle inter-tube and placed it over the spacer. Lately I have been testing the Pearce Grip +2 magazine extension and I like this combo a lot as it still offers a compact profile but allows a full grip.

Can the spacer's be stippled?

PA PATRIOT
10-04-11, 19:41
Can the spacer's be stippled?

Yes it can but don't go too aggressive with the stippling or it will chew up the hand.

moonshot
10-04-11, 21:32
Keep the G26. You can turn the G26 into a G19 if you want - run G19 mags or even G17 mags. You can even use an OEM G19 barrel if you want. You can't turn the G19 into a G26.

Some people prefer the spacers when running the longer mags, but I prefer no spacer - the shorter circumference of the mag w/o spacer is easier for my pinky to wrap around. I find the G26 with G19 mags to be more comfortable to hold and more controllable than the G19.

If your draw is sloppy, try a better holster and/or better carry position. Also, try the G26 mags with the GAP floor plates. Doesn't add anything to size but makes for a much better draw.

PlatoCATM
10-04-11, 21:45
I had also entertained trading my G26 in for a 19, but the I realized that I end up carrying my 26 more than my 19. In t-shirt weather, and even in some long-sleeved shirts I wear, I just cannot keep from printing too badly when I carry the 19. My solution was to add the GAP baseplates (http://www.concealablecontrol.com/) and carry an extra 19 or 17 magazine.

uwe1
10-04-11, 21:57
I would keep the G26 and I have all three.

In my opinion, body size/build and clothing styles will somewhat dictate how you prefer to carry. A G19 IWB is usually very comfortable for medium to large sized guys.

I carried a G26 with the stock 10 round mag in the right front pocket for quite some time and it worked out just fine. For me, IWB carry isn't as comfortable or nearly as convenient as pocket carry. I bought a Milt Sparks VM2 for the G19 and found myself always fighting to get the damn snaps on. After trying it a few times inside the house and never going out with it, I put that holster into the holster box. Contrast that with throwing the G26 in the front pocket...

My current setup is a G26, with a Pearce +0 extension. I sanded down that extension so only three-fourths of my pinky is on it. My hands aren't large so they fit into the pocket with the G26 in it well. If you have larger hands this might be more challenging. A 17 round mag is usually in the left front pocket.

DaveFJ80
10-04-11, 22:04
I have both a G26 and G19 (both are 3rd gens). I mainly got the G26 to CCW, but the IWB holsters I have for the G26 also fit the G19 perfectly. And then ironically the G19 fits on my body better than the G26 when I conceal it. I still keep the G26 since my wife likes to shoot it, and I leave it as a truck gun or in my BOB.

As for putting 15rd mags into the G26, it just doesn't feel and shoot the same as a G19. IMO, if you had to pick just one, get the G19. If you get both, then they'll both be great to shoot... but they shoot differently, regardless if they have the same length grips.

Nephrology
10-05-11, 06:13
Keep the 26. The G19 is better as a year round, 1 gun only compromise, but I own the trio (26,19,17) and find they are great seasonal complements. G26/19 for Spring/Summer, as weather and dress and situation permit, and 17/19 for fall/winter. When it gets bitter cold and I have to wear gloves the G17 is fantastic for the extra grip length I need to compensate, and the 26 is fantastic when it gets to be warm out and I can't IWB a g19 for fear of excessive printing.

wahoo95
10-05-11, 07:02
Why would you swap it out if you shoot it better than the larger versions?? I say add a GAP Concealment floorplate to your mag and keep it.

Warg
10-05-11, 10:20
Simple: big hands + small grip = poor draw. I thought this was implicit in my first post, but after reading it again it wasn't.

Why would you swap it out if you shoot it better than the larger versions?? I say add a GAP Concealment floorplate to your mag and keep it.

At any rate, it looks like the G26 works for lots of folks and doesn't work for a few others. I'm leaning toward getting one holster to carry for a bit and see how I like it.

Irish
10-05-11, 10:49
I'm leaning toward getting one holster to carry for a bit and see how I like it.

Typically you can carry your G26 in your G19 holster without any issues, especially if it's kydex.

okie john
10-05-11, 10:52
You're in it at the right price, so hang on to it, shoot it for a while, and make your own decision. A G26 holds value well if you decide to trade later.

Okie John

Nephrology
10-05-11, 10:55
Simple: big hands + small grip = poor draw. I thought this was implicit in my first post, but after reading it again it wasn't.

At any rate, it looks like the G26 works for lots of folks and doesn't work for a few others. I'm leaning toward getting one holster to carry for a bit and see how I like it.

My 19 and 26 are both carried IWB in a Comp-Tac MTAC and it works great for both.

JonInWA
10-05-11, 10:57
Since you've got the G26, and already have a G19, I'd probably keep the G26 just to provide you with another option as circumstances/dress dictates.

For better grippability, as you yourself have suggested, going with a 15 found G19 magazine works well, as does a Pierce magazine baseplate extension.

Of course, with these "solutions" for most practical purposes your receiver profile is pretty much the same as a G19...

As a previous owner of a G27, I haven't found much that my current G19 doesn't do as well or better, operationally or concealment-wise.

But, since you've already have the G26 in hand...

Best, Jon

wahoo95
10-05-11, 11:06

Gotcha.....well thats something practice can help. I too have large hands however I also recognize that we all have different levels of dexterity. I can draw my IWB daily carry G27 with no issues and also shoot it better than my G23. The GAP Concealment mag floorplate really helped with control as it locks in between your fingers.

BillSWPA
10-05-11, 13:26
A G26 and G19 will only work in the same holster if they are the same generation. My second generation G26 and third generation G19 are sufficiently different so that my G26 will fit too loosely for good security in a holster set up for my G19, and my G19 cannot be easily inserted into a holster set up for my G26.

The only exception I have found that allows for open-top carry is the $12 Glock Sport/Combat holster.

Warg
10-05-11, 14:01
A G26 and G19 will only work in the same holster if they are the same generation. My second generation G26 and third generation G19 are sufficiently different so that my G26 will fit too loosely for good security in a holster set up for my G19, and my G19 cannot be easily inserted into a holster set up for my G26.

The only exception I have found that allows for open-top carry is the $12 Glock Sport/Combat holster.

Thanks. All are 3rd gens.

Grizzly16
10-05-11, 14:11

This may not be the case. The slide is longer on the 19/23 than the 26/27. A holster molded very tightly to a subcompact won't fully hold a compact.

Warg
10-05-11, 14:22
Have Raven and Comp-tacs for my G17 and G19 that might work for now, but I think I'll just get a dedicated holster anyway as the larger ones sort of mitigate the benefits of carrying the subcompact.

DaveFJ80
10-05-11, 15:12
A G26 and G19 will only work in the same holster if they are the same generation.

My Gen 3 G26 fits into both of my same OWB kydex holsters for a Gen 3 G19, and Gen 4 G19.

Likewise, I can fit both Gen 3 & Gen 4 G19's into my IWB holster that was designed for a G26, and they both fit perfect and feel great.

Beat Trash
10-05-11, 16:45
I've owned a Glock 26 for years. It lives in a FIST kydex pocket holster.

If I am carrying a gun IWB, the Glock 19 conceals as well for me as the Glock 26. But there are a few rare times when it's nice to have the G26 as an option.

Effectively shooting and concealing a gun is dependent on the size of the individual, lifestyle and style and type of clothing. Just because something works well for me, doesn't mean it'll work for you.

Since you already own a G19, I'd experiment with both. If your hands are just too big for the G26, and you don't have any issues with CCW for the G19, then I'd trade for a 2nd G19.

If you find yourself trying to carry a G26 with the 15 rd magazine, then why not just go for the G19?

While the G19 is my all time favorite Glock, I keep my G26, as it does come in handy from time to time.

Erk1015
10-05-11, 18:38
I've had a G26 for a while and am selling it now. Pretty much any time I carry I use my G19 instead. I shoot the G19 better and feel like I can get a better grip on it when drawing. I've used both AIWB and while the G26 is easier to conceal I prefer to get my whole hand on the gun when drawing. There are times when it's nice to have, short trips to the store and such, but really there's nothing I can do with a G26 that I can't do with a G19.

Warg
11-07-11, 10:09
I'd trade for the G19.

For the past month I've been swapping back and forth with carrying the 26 and the 19. I wore these to and from the store, out to dinner, on miscellaneous errands, long walks with my dogs (5+ miles), long bike rides, and doing to chores around the house like mowing the lawn. For me, I corroborated what many stated in this thread- that I when carry the 26 in most cases I just as easily have carried/concealed the 19. Further, I don't like how the 26 feels during appendix carry. It feels top (grip) heavy such that it wants to fall out of the holster when I sit down or bend over to pick something up. I never actually did, but just didn't feel right. This was worse when using the 15 round G19 mag. One thing I did like about the little 26 is that the shorter slide was a slight advantage for OWB carry in that I didn’t have to worry as much about a shirt covering the holster or firearm. The 26 is too big for pocket carry for most of what I wear. Some cargo pants and shorts are okay, but that's about all.

I’ll eat a little crow and state that I should have listened to LL.

The G26 is just not worth keeping for the few cases that I could carry it over the G19.

skyugo
11-08-11, 00:11
a really good IWB holster makes the 19 nearly as concealable as a 26.
i liked my 26 quite a bit, but i ended up selling it and buying a J-frame for when i needed a truly small gun. the 19 is fine with a t-shirt.

Warg
11-08-11, 00:17
a really good IWB holster makes the 19 nearly as concealable as a 26.
i liked my 26 quite a bit, but i ended up selling it and buying a J-frame for when i needed a truly small gun. the 19 is fine with a t-shirt.

Ha. I just picked up a S&W 642 for exactly that- my grocery store and formal dress pocket gun.

skyugo
11-08-11, 01:01
Ha. I just picked up a S&W 642 for exactly that- my grocery store and formal dress pocket gun.

I gotta start reloading for my 642 though... I keep buying these discount sketchy ass remanufactured rounds, and i swear every time i do it i get hotter rounds. Fired 35 through it yesterday and my right palm is still sore. Quality ammo isn't nearly as harsh. Even my 110 grain hornady critical defense +P rounds aren't this bad. :eek:

seriously a pleasure to carry though.

Littlelebowski
11-08-11, 05:30
For the past month I've been swapping back and forth with carrying the 26 and the 19. I wore these to and from the store, out to dinner, on miscellaneous errands, long walks with my dogs (5+ miles), long bike rides, and doing to chores around the house like mowing the lawn. For me, I corroborated what many stated in this thread- that I when carry the 26 in most cases I just as easily have carried/concealed the 19. Further, I don't like how the 26 feels during appendix carry. It feels top (grip) heavy such that it wants to fall out of the holster when I sit down or bend over to pick something up. I never actually did, but just didn't feel right. This was worse when using the 15 round G19 mag. One thing I did like about the little 26 is that the shorter slide was a slight advantage for OWB carry in that I didn’t have to worry as much about a shirt covering the holster or firearm. The 26 is too big for pocket carry for most of what I wear. Some cargo pants and shorts are okay, but that's about all.

I’ll eat a little crow and state that I should have listened to LL.

The G26 is just not worth keeping for the few cases that I could carry it over the G19.

Trust me, dude; it was from a similar experience that I advised you. The 19 does it all.

munch520
11-08-11, 07:07
True story. I bought a 26 for the wife bc it fits her hands better - but I've tried carrying it on occasion. It really doesn't conceal any better than a 19. And it for sure doesn't shoot any better. A grip extension helps a little with shoot-ability but you'll never get away from the snappy recoil of the shorter barrel.

Trust me, dude; it was from a similar experience that I advised you. The 19 does it all.