PDA

View Full Version : Cutting down a barrel

Kfgk14
10-04-11, 16:04
In this thread (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=89654) I showed off my new rifle and I've gotten to thinking about trimming weight from it. I'm already looking at an ACE stock and a few other things (MBUS 2 rear sight when I get an optic, for one), but I think the barrel may be a place I could drop weight.

My question is this: how short can I cut the barrel and still feed reliably? 18.5"? 17"? I've heard 16.5" is as short as will function, is this true? If so, do I need to get a low-mass carrier or buffer? low power spring? Open the gas port up?

Thanks for any information you may have on the subject. I'm also going to get the barrel fluted (I know, just turn it down to .625 and be done with it, but I'm not ready to do that, and the fluting does have a certain aesthetic appeal). Who could do all this sort of work for me and do a good job, for a decent price? I've heard Adco Firearms is good at this sort of thing, is that my best option right now? Whoever does the job of cutting and fluting would need to thread the barrel as well, and preferably put the whole thing back together again, if possible.

Thanks again.

Iraqgunz
10-04-11, 16:15
I wouldn't cut the barrel down, that's just me. You are better off buying a 16" barrel or getting a 14.5".

87GN
10-06-11, 00:12
You are not going to save much weight by cutting that barrel down, or by fluting it. I have "government profile" 16" midlength barrels that are only two ounces lighter than my actual government profile 20" rifle gas barrels. If you cut it to 18" and profiled the whole thing you would save a fair amount of weight, but then you would have spent probably $150-200.

Kfgk14
10-06-11, 16:52
You are not going to save much weight by cutting that barrel down, or by fluting it. I have "government profile" 16" midlength barrels that are only two ounces lighter than my actual government profile 20" rifle gas barrels. If you cut it to 18" and profiled the whole thing you would save a fair amount of weight, but then you would have spent probably $150-200.

Who could do that I.e. who would you recommend, if I did want to have this done?

Thanks.

Sid Post
10-07-11, 06:06
Just buy a new barrel and install it. Much simpler and faster then reprofiling a barrel.

duece71
10-07-11, 06:24
Someone said something about gas port size in relation to barrel length. If I were going to do this, I wouldn't want to find out something else was wrong and that potentially my rifle won't function properly.

fixit69
10-07-11, 06:44
Someone said something about gas port size in relation to barrel length. If I were going to do this, I wouldn't want to find out something else was wrong and that potentially my rifle won't function properly.

This. Gas port dimension is a huge factor in barrel length. Buy a shorter barrel.

usmcvet
10-09-11, 14:46
Adco or ar15barrels.com could do it. You're better off buying a shorter bbl with a FSB or just a new upper. Having spare uppers is one of the benefits or th AR.