PDA

View Full Version : New LTR project

C-grunt
10-04-11, 16:16
I just got this rifle last week. Got a really good deal on it from a guy and got it pretty much how it is currently set up. Stock rifle, Harris, GG&G 20 moa base (any info good/bad on this?), Burris Extreme rings, Bushnell Elite 3200 10x glass.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/killerchase2000/001-10.jpg

First of all I know the rings are way to tall but the rings that he had on the rifle were garbage. The Burris Extremes were the only ones I have on hand. I plan on upgrading to a 30mm scope so Im not gonna waste money buying lower ones.

So that brings me to my first question for you guys. Which scope should I go with? Budget will be under 1k. Max range for me is probably 800 yards but I might be able to shoot 1k plus on rare occasions.

The 4 main options I am looking at are:

SS 10x scope.

+ Its a good piece of glass and wont break the bank
- Its a fixed 10x

SS 3x9 FFP mil/mil

+ Variable usefull for closer shots
+ FFP
+ Not to expensive
- Not sure how the 9x will hold up for long range shots

Vortex Viper PST 4x14 FFP mil/mil

+ Higher upper end magnification
+ FFP
+ Illuminated
- Getting to the upper end of my budget
- Might as well step up to the 6x24 model for 50 bucks more

Vortex Viper PST 6x24 FFP mil/mil

+/- Same as the other PST

Second question is the stock. Basically is the AICS worth the money over the HS precision?

FYI... Budget is a concern for me. I could save a little more and just go with a Nighforce but I am also saving up for a Vickers carbine course early next year.

anthony1
10-05-11, 03:45
All those scopes are nice, for shooting out to 800 l personally would go with the pst. Another to consider would be the bushy elite 4200 tactical FFP 3-12 was on sale for 550ish at midway, great scope for the price if they still have any.

On a budget B&C medalist stocks are awesome for the 200$ l paid for my A4 I have zero complaints. My uncle who exclusively runs mcmillans even said "wow this isnt too bad" which is actually a huge complement coming from him.

C-grunt
10-05-11, 10:42
I do like my HS Precision thats on there. But having fondled an AICS I am really intrigued.

markm
10-05-11, 12:06
SS 10x scope.

- Its a fixed 10x

I've been running this thing for months now and can't say I've found any significant shortcomings.

The last time we went out I wanted to shoot a clean cold bore shot and confirm zero. I had dialed up to 1000 yards (3 full revolutions on the top turret), and I wanted to confirm that the scope tracked back to zero before starting the days shoot.

I fired a single shot that we thought was off paper completely. Turned out it was a dead nuts bullseye in the black 1/2" square on the shoot'n'see sticker.

I'm pleased with my 700's clean cold bore shot, and the SS10x's tracking. :)

Todd.K
10-05-11, 12:51
Which scope should I go with?
Budget is a concern for me. I could save a little more and just go with a Nighforce but I am also saving up for a Vickers carbine course early next year.

Leave the scope you have on there.

You should do a lot of shooting before you spend money on a different scope and stock, and then you will have a much better idea of what you actually do need.

halo2304
10-11-11, 19:48
I'm assuming it's .308. I had one in .223 but sold it because 1) I bought an AR and wanted to feed it all the .223 I could. 2) the AICS only worked with .308 and similar calibers for the short action, but not the .223...at the time. Shortly after selling it, Accuracy International came out with .223 mags for the AICS. :mad:

I'd love an LTR .308 with threaded barrel in the AICS 2.0 folding stock. If I remember correctly the 20" barrel and the folding stock are as compact as a 16" barreled AR with the stock collapsed.

SeriousStudent
10-11-11, 21:32
I have been interested for some time in an LTR much like yours. My criteria and use are much the same.

Are you planning on adding a suppressor? If so, have you decided on who will thread the barrel for you?

NUTT
10-12-11, 10:51
SS 10x scope.

- Its a fixed 10x

Second question is the stock. Basically is the AICS worth the money over the HS precision?

FYI... Budget is a concern for me.

edit

Keep the Bushnell. It has decent glass and repeatable adjustments.

/edit

In the mean time, look through other scopes and figure out what you really want. Then start saving money for that.

Stock...

Unless the current stock doesn't work for you, shoot what you have for now. If it doesn't, also consider the Manners Mini Chassis built into one of their stocks. Like the AICS, you drop in the action and torque to spec. It is also competitive in price with the AICS and uses AI detachable mags.

Save your money for training. Once you are through with the Vickers class consider taking a PR class.

broylz
10-12-11, 13:47
the SS10x is too similar to the bushnell you currently have. i had a ss10x on my first bolt gun but soon found that i wanted a variable. i would shoot it as is and save for the PST line of scopes.

if you guys are planning on getting a threaded gun for later suppressor use, go with the r700 AAC-SD. thats what i currently have and love it.

NUTT
10-12-11, 21:39
the SS10x is too similar to the bushnell you currently have. i had a ss10x on my first bolt gun but soon found that i wanted a variable. i would shoot it as is and save for the PST line of scopes.

Oops. I didn't realize that was the scope he had on the rifle.

To the OP: By all accounts the Bushy 3200 10x is capable enough to get your feet wet and decide what you really want.

Is it the mil/mil version? If so, even better.

delta9mda
10-21-11, 00:06
you cant beat a stock ltr (for the money). i have a stainless one with the h-s stock, love it. shoot it as is and save money for the optics (as you shoot the crap out of it).

snakedoctor
10-21-11, 09:40
Here's my setup. HS Precision palm swell stock and Nightforce glass.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6053/6266661250_33b0323a97_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/57942327@N05/6266661250/)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6115/6266133463_90d3bcf325_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/57942327@N05/6266133463/)

delta9mda
10-21-11, 09:50
snakedoc, that is super nice

C-grunt
11-08-11, 11:37
Sold the Bushnell and got a Super Sniper 10x with their brand rings. I think Im gonna get an Eagle stock pack and call it good for a while. Gonna go sight it in on Thursday to see how she does at 100 and 200 yards.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/killerchase2000/023.jpg

markm
11-08-11, 12:06
Sold the Bushnell and got a Super Sniper 10x with their brand rings.

That's the scope I'm running. I thought it's adjustments were out of whack at one point. But I box tested it and it was ok.

I've shot mine out to a thousand, and it's adjustments are pretty close to my trajectory chart. 35 MOA up... and when I come back down, that scope is right on zero at 100.

So far, my skills aren't beyond the capabilities of this scope.

C-grunt
11-08-11, 12:20
That's the scope I'm running. I thought it's adjustments were out of whack at one point. But I box tested it and it was ok.

I've shot mine out to a thousand, and it's adjustments are pretty close to my trajectory chart. 35 MOA up... and when I come back down, that scope is right on zero at 100.

So far, my skills aren't beyond the capabilities of this scope.

Ive read good things about them and reading your experience with it sealed my decision. I will upgrade it someday but for now I have a good, simple and rugged optic.

markm
11-08-11, 12:41
If you ever get a wild hair... Pappabear and I have a thousand yard desert range marked off at each 100 yard interval.

We've got it to where we can drop our steel without having to laser anymore.

C-grunt
11-08-11, 13:15
Thanks for the invite. IG said you guys have a good setup. Problem is I currently work weekends but that might change here in a few months.

markm
11-08-11, 13:22
Thanks for the invite. IG said you guys have a good setup. Problem is I currently work weekends but that might change here in a few months.

Weekends are getting tough out there. The nice weather has every goofball in town out shooting. We'll give you a shout if we go on a week day.

C-grunt
11-11-11, 16:10
Got out to the range today. Perfect weather for shooting. 70 degrees with a very slight breeze coming from the 9 oclock. Only fired one 5 shot group with good ammo as I havent purchased all my components to get back into reloading and only had half a bos of FGMM 168s. I havent been in the precision rifle game for a couple years and it shows.

Here is the group at 100 yards. Shooting was done prone off a bipod and a rear bag.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/killerchase2000/ltrtarget.jpg

I did the initial sight in with UMC ball ammo, 147 grn I believe, and that grouped about 2.5 inches at 100 yards.