PDA

View Full Version : Best quad rail system for Colt 6920?

Washington
10-04-11, 20:22
Hello gents,

I'm bringing the 6920 to the armorer tomorrow to get the mag catch fixed.

However in the meantime I've been researching quad rails.

Overall what would be a few of the BEST quad rails for the 6920? Also where would be the best place to purchase them?

Thanks a lot!

TunaFisherman
10-04-11, 20:28
Best? Thats a broad question. I have a TROY on mine. But really thats to much rail space for me. I may be switching to a Magpul MOE.
What do you plan on mounting on the rail?

SteadyUp
10-04-11, 20:39
As the poster above stated, "best" is almost impossible to define. Once we know what you want to mount, you'll more than likely get a better response.

Additionally, do you want a free float rail, or something that just replaces your handguard?

Abraxas
10-04-11, 20:55
I like my DD Lite rails

mvician
10-04-11, 21:09
Best is subjective.
What all do you plan to hang off of the rails?

Washington
10-04-11, 21:12
Sorry for my post being so broad - I neglected to mention my purpose.

I will be mounting a vertical grip, a light, and MAYBE a bipod in the future.

I will be leaving the front sight alone, and mounting a magpul mbus as the rear sight (getting rid of the carry handle)

I also will be attaching an Aimpoint Pro as the optic. The magpul mbus + original front sight will serve as the co-witness to the aimpoint.

The vertical grip will be magpul. The light will probably be surefire with a pressure switch on the vertical grip.

The bipod is also just a thought for now, no major plans of that as of yet.

Shane1
10-04-11, 21:19
Im digging the MOE. I put one on my personal 6520. All I need to mount is a light and vfg. The MOE gives me the ability to do that with minimal weight added.

ucrt
10-04-11, 21:33

I second the MOE and keeping a light gun, light!

You need a mounted light and a sling, everything else is just "accessorizing"...

But maybe it's just me...

fixit69
10-05-11, 08:56
I use Daniel Defense almost exclusively, but I'm about to give centurion rails a shot. Soon, a MOE too.

hotrodder636
10-05-11, 09:16
For easy attachment with no permanent change to the gun, I like the DD Omega rail series. Just remove the old handguard, drop in the new one, tighten a couple screws and adjust jam-screws for fit. On each side near the front of the rail it has a sling attachment with limited rotation (approx 10 o'clock-2 o'clock) mounts. Nicely marked rail slots and very, very tight and clean fit. This rail is also very lightweight compared to others I looked at. I find the shape of the rail to fit nicely in my hand and it feels more narrow than some of the others I have tried. Plus it's Daniel Defense, which is a known good manufacturer.
I am not going to say it is "the Best" as that is very objective and opinion based.....you need to check out some rails on your own. Looking at DD, Magpul, KAC, Troy rails is a good start but there are other quality rails out there.

If you want a more rigid attachment, you could also look into the DD lite series.

chapperjoe
10-05-11, 09:35
I'm going to be in the same spot soon.
the AR I buy next will probably be a CAR-length gas system.
(the PSA/PRO combo is tempting, or a 6920, or a spikes LE m4)

On paper, I like the centurion arms CAR cutout.

It gives me a few extra inches and the quality is supposed to be amazing.

But then I think, If I'm getting a CAR-system and a railed hg, then why not go with a colt 6940?

this is what I've been mulling over in my head recently.

(ETA, I've been through ALOT fo DD omega's and they all performed fine.)

markm
10-05-11, 09:35
For a 6920 the BEST is the KAC RAS. It's the only carbine rail I've used that doesn't feel "AFTERMARKET" on the gun.

It belongs on there. LaRue is a close second, but I don't buy any of his alloy.

rob_s
10-05-11, 09:42
What do you find that the stock handguards are not doing that the rail system will accomplish? If you can't answer this, I would suggest sticking with the stock handguards.

The MOE handguards are excellent IMO, and I use them on several guns. The nub at the front negates the need for a VFG for me as I can use my left booger-picker to hook the nub and draw the gun in. Mount-N-Slot accessories take care of the rest. They are no, however, the lightest solution. Which may seem counter-intuitive to some.

I find railed handguards that stop behind the FSB to not be worth the time or cost to install them. They result in a too-cramped area and when people start attaching the inevitable to them it only gets worse.

There are solutions to the short handguard issue. Even if you want to keep the front sight stock. You can either choose models that stop at the front edge of the FSB and cover three sides, or models that extend all the way out 12" and include a cutout for the FSB and have a top rail forward of that. Daniel Defense makes a wide selection of both types, Apex Machine makes a version that stops forward of the FSB, and Centurion Arms makes their Carbine Cut Out rail that stops at the front edge of the FSB.

Belmont31R
10-05-11, 10:05
OP-

There are plenty of rails to choose from, and when you ask broad questions without details all you are mostly going to get is people pushing their favorite pet brand over and over.

If the gun is issued (you mentioned taking it to your armorer) you have to figure out what you are allowed to do. Many of the brands mentioned so far require modification to the gun that Im guessing your department (or whoever issued you the thing if thats the case) would not be wanting you to be taking the gun apart to add your personal equipment. If its a personal gun then disregard that.

Rob touched on the length issue and the trend has been longer minimalist handguards because it gives you more breathing room, and a 7" carbine rail can quickly become cramped. All I run on my rails is a light, sling mount, VFG and front sight. Thats doable on a 7" rail for some but my VFG ends up being so close to the front end of the rail I have to modify my stance to make it work. Just explaining the issues with different lengths. If you want to take a cheaper minimalist approach the MOE works for a lot of people, too, you just have to be sure that short of a hand guard will work for you. Its really hard to get subjective answers to questions like these because not everyone likes the same brands, products, and shooting styles.

The KAC RAS was mentioned, and it is a good drop in rail that simply replaces the standard handguards. No modification to the gun is needed. They are whats used on mil issued guns for the most part, and have a long service record. Not the most modern setup but still very relevent, and hard to argue with the ease of install. The DD Omega is also drop in but a little harder to install. DD also makes the EZ CAR drop in rail which is an economical alternative to the Omega.

If you want something longer than 7" drop in type rails I think you're going to have a little harder time finding something that doesn't require modification of the host gun. If you can modify the gun the possibilities are endless as there are numerous manufacturers with different models in different lengths even if you wanted to keep the front sight as is. DD makes a few different models that are designed to work with a carbine keeping the stock front sight as does Centurion.

Again we can throw out all these names and models but we can't tell you what will work best for you. Most of us have gone through many different setups before finding what we like and what works for us. Then there are always new models coming out and such.

Also curious to what you mean by co-witness. If you're just referring to the height of the optic thats fine but your Aimpoint does not need to be sighted together with the front sight. They are two independent systems, and you don't have to be shooting with the 'lollipop on a stick' method that Ive seen pushed (even when I was active duty thats what our master gunners were teaching people). Taking the time to align the dot on top of the front sight post takes away the speed and flexibility of the RDS.

Magic_Salad0892
10-05-11, 10:13
KAC RAS/RIS.

KAC URX.

DD 9.5 FSP.

duece71
10-05-11, 11:25
I like the MOE handguards as they are simple and I don't feel like I HAVE to put a bunch of stuff on them to make them complete. I have both the carbine length and midlength. I have a light attached to the midlength via the Mount and Slot system. I have an RVG attached to the Carbine length and it serves as a good reference rather than a "hang on". I may cut it down to more of a hand stop but that is about it. I still have yet to use the Mount and Slot for sling application but I am going in that direction. I have other rail systems (MI and DD) but I do like the simplicity of the MOE handguards.

Boss Hogg
10-05-11, 11:36
I picked up a Daniel Defense 12" Omega X FSP when BCM had them on sale for $170 a year or two ago. Very happy with it.

Great carbine that I need to shoot more often.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/DD%2010005-2.jpg

OldState
10-06-11, 17:18
I picked up a Daniel Defense 12" Omega X FSP when BCM had them on sale for $170 a year or two ago. Very happy with it.

Great carbine that I need to shoot more often.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/DD%2010005-2.jpg

I went with this rail as "plan B" because I didn't want to shave or replace the FSP. I couldn't be happier. It was easy to install as well.

It FFs the barrel, adds extra length to grip further out, has a QD point on both sides, and you can mount a 300x or TLR-1 at the 12 o'clock position.

Best of all Midway still sells them for $200 + $10 DD wrench($180 if you wait for their 10% code.). FAR cheaper than anywhere else.

I know FF-ing the barrel is not considered a priority by may experienced folks here, but for me it is. After a little experimenting with the stock set up on my 6920, I was surprised at how easily I could flex the barrel and open up my groups.

After reading Kyle Lamb's book it was interesting to see he feels the same way for the same reasons.

Sensei
10-06-11, 19:29
I've used KAC RAS on my issued weapons without any problems. I also use DD Omega on one of my 6920s. Both are excellent choices.

TunaFisherman
10-06-11, 22:28
Sorry for my post being so broad - I neglected to mention my purpose.

I will be mounting a vertical grip, a light, and MAYBE a bipod in the future.

I will be leaving the front sight alone, and mounting a magpul mbus as the rear sight (getting rid of the carry handle)

I also will be attaching an Aimpoint Pro as the optic. The magpul mbus + original front sight will serve as the co-witness to the aimpoint.

The vertical grip will be magpul. The light will probably be surefire with a pressure switch on the vertical grip.

The bipod is also just a thought for now, no major plans of that as of yet.

I would go with the Magpul MOE. I wish I had done this but since I have the TROY on there, it's gona stay. Only thing I have mounted on it is a Magpul AFG2 and low pro ladders.

J_B
10-07-11, 02:11
I have DD Ez Car rail on my LE6920. I haven't had any issued with it and it's solid. It's use is patrol carry and it's seen it's share of use.

I ran a MOE handguard with a RVG. It was not bad but I desired a rail and was able to get my DD cheap.

johnnywitt
10-09-11, 20:34
A lot of Folks like the feel of a Noveske Rail. The Rails that come on a Noveske are just remarked SWR Rails and are "the best" IMO- more so, now that they come with Q/D attach points. Just the machining work alone is enough reason to take a good hard look at the SWR Rail System. You can even shoot a SWR Rail barehanded & without any rail cover and they won't tear up your hand such is the quality of the machining.
Art over at SWR has always treated me right. He's a squared up Guy.

kurt1305
10-09-11, 21:25
For a 6920 the BEST is the KAC RAS. It's the only carbine rail I've used that doesn't feel "AFTERMARKET" on the gun.

+1. I bought a blem from KAC for half price and can't find the blemish.

RGoose
10-10-11, 11:20
Like many have stated, "BEST" is a very relative term. For your intended use I agree with rob s, the MOE should fill your need AND it's very affordable. I use one on my mid-length rifle and have been very impressed. All my other rifles use a Daniel Defense Lite Rail and I'm also please with them. However it's hard to beat the MOE if you're just mounting a light and maybe a VFG.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-10-11, 20:36

I agree with the KAC. Its rock solid, well made, but a little pricey.

SteadyUp
10-10-11, 21:16
I agree with the KAC. Its rock solid, well made, but a little pricey.

The higher price can be mitigated somewhat by purchasing a factory blemish from the KAC online store. Typically you can't even find the blemish, or it is barely noticeable.

lja
10-10-11, 23:05
Another vote for the MOE. You can make it into a quad rail, no rail, or rails wherever you need them for specific purposes. Magpul makes a really slick attachment for the MOE that encases the tape switch for a Surefire weapon mounted light. You won't need to attach the tape switch to the foregrip. You probably won't even need a VFG. The light attachment kit comes with the holder for the tape switch, sticky stuff to attach it (if you want) and a cantilevered short rail that you mount on whichever side of the front part of the MOE you like. You can also add a long rail to the bottom if you really want a VFG and bipod.

The advantage of the MOE is that you put rails only where you really need them, and maintain a light configuration. The Magpul guys are evil geniuses that keep thinking of new ways to part this fool from his money.

markm
10-11-11, 08:06
Another vote for the MOE.

Good Grief! Installing a MOE on a Colt is a Criminal ACT! :mad:

markm
10-11-11, 08:08
The higher price can be mitigated somewhat by purchasing a factory blemish from the KAC online store. Typically you can't even find the blemish, or it is barely noticeable.

I have a conspiracy theory on those "blems". Either they're just marked with the R and Ls on the wrong side.... or... KAC marks them as blems to pick up some volume sales in the competetive rail market and gets around selling the units for less than they were selling them to the military.

JSantoro
10-11-11, 08:30
...and before any of you brand-lover hens decides to go apeshit over that...

...the phrase "conspiracy theory" is prominently displayed in the first 4 words of the sentence, so let's not indulge in any sqwaking and clucking.

I noticed that factoid, and you had best do the same. Daddy's tired.

markm
10-11-11, 08:35
I guess the current contractor for RAS has blems too... so I who knows?

Could really be units passed on my the mil.

viperashes
10-11-11, 08:55
I'm not sure what you're intended purpose for the weapon is, but given that you're HERE, I can take a swing. Clone builds have been a growing trend for a while, if you're in to that, the KAC RAS, as previously stated is the .mil installed rail on our M4s.

There are a lot of rails out there, MOST are good, some are better than others (obviously), but at the end of it, go with whatever it is looks the best to you or fits your needs the most. Realistically, for what 90% of civilian shooters do with their weapons, nothing from a respectable company, regardless of who it is, is going to treat you wrong. It just comes down to how concerned you are about things like free float or not, your own personal brand loyalty, if you're concerned about weight, rail space, or aesthetics (Clone builds or just your own personal taste).

Guinnessman
10-11-11, 09:18
I have a DD Omega Rail on my 6920. It is solid, affordable, and easy to install. Good luck.

chapperjoe
10-11-11, 09:25
What do you guys think about lightweight barrels as opposed to a 6920.

I do like to cinch up a two point sling pretty tight when plinking and I prefer a ff handguard to minimize barrel flex.

I know I'm not putting the same pressure on the same spot every time (like a great shooter can) so the sling can affect my shot placement on a lightweight barrel with a standard handguard.

(again, this is just for plinking, at all other times I prefer a single point sling)

turdbocharged
10-11-11, 12:48
What do you guys think about lightweight barrels as opposed to a 6920.

I do like to cinch up a two point sling pretty tight when plinking and I prefer a ff handguard to minimize barrel flex.

I know I'm not putting the same pressure on the same spot every time (like a great shooter can) so the sling can affect my shot placement on a lightweight barrel with a standard handguard.

(again, this is just for plinking, at all other times I prefer a single point sling)

Why do you prefer a single point sling? I find them to be a waste of time.

Evil Bert
10-11-11, 13:11
No offense to the OP, but I cannot stand these kinds of questions. There are just too many variables. The biggest is cost.

Here is what the OP needs to tell us if he simply cannot figure it out on his own:

Budget
Use (what attachments, etc)
is weight an issue
removable rails
Free float
alloy or plastic

That would be the bare minimum of info we would need and best is a very subjective word. I think the KAC URX rails are the best, but other may disagree. I think DD are great too, but other may disagree. Some like Spike's, others like Centurion or Samson.

I think the best we can do is to state what brands or specific rails to stay away from such as UTG, Chinese junk, etc.

Brands to consider (no particular order):
Daniel Defense
Troy
Samson
Centurion
Knight's Armament
LaRue
VTAC
VLTOR
PRI
Midwest Industries
Rainier Arms

There may well be others however; but I have not had any experience with them and these ones tend to get noticed on this forum and are recognized for quality and strength as well as the Manufacture standing by their product.

Evil Bert
10-11-11, 13:32
Good Grief! Installing a MOE on a Colt is a Criminal ACT! :mad:

agreed. I don't quite get the MOE. Magpul does plastics - I get that. So they make aplastic guard. great on them for that. it is dirt cheap. But if most people have a choice of getting a DD Lite rail for the same price as a MOE, they will likely pick the DD rail every time. Why is that?

m4brian
10-11-11, 20:29
If you want easy to install AND FF, DD Omega is good and you can likely find one here on the EE for a decent price. ($200).

MOE is good and can be an effective way to go putting on the minimum.

A carbine can feel cramped - that is why manufacturers made FSP rails. The best 'deal' going is the Omega X FSP 12.0 at Midway USA for $200. It is top tier rail for a smokin price. It give you ALL kinds of space to work with and it is FF. It does require FSP/barrel nut removal. Even if you don't dodad it up, it gives you lots of space for your hands.

OldState
10-12-11, 00:15
If you want easy to install AND FF, DD Omega is good and you can likely find one here on the EE for a decent price. ($200).

MOE is good and can be an effective way to go putting on the minimum.

A carbine can feel cramped - that is why manufacturers made FSP rails. The best 'deal' going is the Omega X FSP 12.0 at Midway USA for $200. It is top tier rail for a smokin price. It give you ALL kinds of space to work with and it is FF. It does require FSP/barrel nut removal. Even if you don't dodad it up, it gives you lots of space for your hands.

Yes, yes, yes. I put mine on in 45 minutes.

OldState
10-12-11, 00:17
This shows how thin it is:

viperashes
10-12-11, 06:49
Yes, yes, yes. I put mine on in 45 minutes.

That looks pretty good the way you have it set up.

I agree that the OP needs to find a medium by which to gauge "best" though. I agree with Bert, it's a subjective question that can't be answered or quantified simply without a base to build on.