PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, I'm really going there....Glock vs. XD

TOrrock
08-17-06, 17:47
Ok.....I realize the can of worms this is may open up....but I'd like to hear some honest opinions from people who use these....

Comparing these two pistol systems in 9mm Para......

I know the Glock is the AK of handguns, and that impresses the hell out of me, but the ergonomics aren't as good for me as some others like the SIG. I used to have a Glock 19 many years ago and I was happy with it's performance.

The XD fits my hand much better, has a better trigger pull out of the box, and from what I've seen, holds up pretty well. They're damn bulky though.

The finish on the Glock is damn near indestructable....not so on the XD...

So, anyway, opinions? Experiences positive or negative.......I'm trying to decide on the next toy....and it's basically down to these two.

Robb Jensen
08-17-06, 17:57
The XD is an excellent handgun. It's a very good alternative to the Glock. I've seen a 4" XD40 that the SA custom shop did some work on. They tightened up the barrel to slide fit, installed Trijicon night sights and did a 3.5lb trigger job on it. The trigger was VERY nice and the owner says it runs well. The XD is making good progress in USPSA in Production which is good, I know a Grand Master that now is sponsored by SA (Dave Olhasso). He used to too shoot a Beretta Elite.

Get whichever fits your hand best and you shoot well with. Glock, XD are both great guns. . I'm really diggin' the S&W M&P 9, after reworking Bonnies trigger and handling Ernest Langdons M&P40 and M&P9. I'd really like to shoot M&P9 exclusively for a few months because I'm quite certain I could shoot then better than my G17 and G34. I might do that at the end of this USPSA season.

In my hands the XDs have a little more muzzle flip when compared to like sized Glocks. I'm not sure if it's the angle of the grip or the weight of the slide causing this, I would like to weigh a 4" XD9s complete upper with that of a G19 and G17.

TOrrock
08-17-06, 19:37
I guess what I'm really asking for are experiences with the XD as far as durability....parts breakage issues, any kind of issues...they've been out for......what, 5 years now, first as the HS2000 and then as the XD....

I know the Glock has a great track record in 9mm, just wondering about issues down the road with the XD.

Bulldog1967
08-17-06, 21:54
I guess what I'm really asking for are experiences with the XD as far as durability....parts breakage issues, any kind of issues...they've been out for......what, 5 years now, first as the HS2000 and then as the XD....

I know the Glock has a great track record in 9mm, just wondering about issues down the road with the XD.

If you want to talk to people who've had theirs THAT long, you might want to venture over here. (http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)

zombie
08-18-06, 07:30
I've got an XD-40 Tactical in OD. Good gun with great ergonomics. One thing I don't like however, is the fact that there are parts that Springfield won't sell. For example, if the extractor breaks in my XD, I have to box it up and send it out to Springfield for repairs which will put the gun out of service for weeks. For one of my Glocks, all I do is call one of the dozens of places that sells Glock parts and have them overnight the parts I need.

I've had my XD for almost 2 years now and there's been no sigh of therust that was an issue with earlier guns.

RyanH
08-30-06, 21:48
I bought an XD9 service last year and I've really loved it. I have about 7000 rounds through it and have never had any problems of any kind.

I do need to bring it somewhere to get a thorough cleaning however. I can field strip it but I'm afraid if I ever tried to disassemble the slide I'd never get it back together again. One of these days I need to sit down with someone who can disassemble a XD slide so they can show me how to do it. :(

Shortly before I got my CCW last spring, I bought an XD40 subcompact for concealled carry. It's also been a great pistol and is a riot to shoot.

For the record, I owned a G19 but I sold it in favor of the XD. It was a great gun and was as reliable as the tides but didn't feel as comfortable in my hand as my XDs do.

My next pistol will be a Sig. They are fantastic firearms and are in a league of their own in terms of quality and durability.

-Ryan

das028
09-26-06, 14:31

Glock has a great track record in 45acp, 357sig, 40S&W, 10mm, as well.

JohnN
09-27-06, 01:39
Get whichever fits your hand best and you shoot well with. Glock, XD are both great guns. . I'm really diggin' the S&W M&P 9, after reworking Bonnies trigger and handling Ernest Langdons M&P40 and M&P9. I'd really like to shoot M&P9 exclusively for a few months because I'm quite certain I could shoot then better than my G17 and G34. I might do that at the end of this USPSA season.

I've used and carried Glocks and 1911's but my new favorite by far is the M&P9. Several thousand rounds with no malfunctions and great ergonomics make for a very solid platform. Looking forward to the M&P45 (still prefer .45)!

Al U. 5811
09-27-06, 07:18
Weighing the same thing now. Springfield XD.45 5" vs. Glock 21.

Neville
10-13-06, 00:18
I would wait a bit- per John Farnam Glock has something new in .45 out soon:

Glock's contender for this next, military pistol will look like a G21, only slimmer. The slide will be the same size, and it will still have a double-column magazine, but the grip will not be nearly as fat as is current ly the case with the G21. Right now, it's called the "SF45". In Glock numerology, the next number in line would be "G40," which wo uld, of course, generate no end of confusion, so the designation, for now anyway, is GSF45.

Nathan_Bell
10-18-06, 21:51
I would wait a bit- per John Farnam Glock has something new in .45 out soon:

Glock's contender for this next, military pistol will look like a G21, only slimmer. The slide will be the same size, and it will still have a double-column magazine, but the grip will not be nearly as fat as is current ly the case with the G21. Right now, it's called the "SF45". In Glock numerology, the next number in line would be "G40," which wo uld, of course, generate no end of confusion, so the designation, for now anyway, is GSF45.

Cool, then there will be more cheap g21's for me to buy.

nyeti
10-18-06, 23:33
I would love a thinner 21.

I personally prefer the Glocks over the XD. My shooting partner at work who I have worked with and competed with for a career likes the XD over the Glock. We both shoot the piss out of our guns with no problems (although I think the Glock has the edge in durability). I hate the reset of the XD, how high the slide is, and its recoil impulse. My buddy dislikes the GLock trigger, and the grip angle. Its kind of different strokes for different folks. I am so used to the GLock 9mm now, that it is work to shoot well with anything else.

For what its worth, I really liked shooting the M&P. Even though I swore many years ago that I would NEVER buy another Smith auto, I may have to eat that oath at some point.

64ti
10-23-06, 10:45
and magazines already so I keep the glock and now have a G19 for carry, My friend likes the XD Croatian pistol with the grip safety and better ergonomics for him. One thing to think about is what fits your hand better and try and rent each to see how they shoot. The XD can also use M9 or Beretta 92FS mags. That is always a plus. Roy

Nitrox
10-23-06, 11:41
Anyone ever seen an XD with a broken frame rail?