PDA

View Full Version : Importance of chrome lining on a retro AR.

SoDak
10-04-11, 22:36
I've had the idea of building a 652 carbine which requires a 14.5 inch lightweight barrel. The dilemma I'm running into is that I'm pretty much limited to spending the money on a Daniel Defense barrel or going with either a chrome or non-chromed J&T Distributing barrel. I'd like to go with the DD barrel, but I can't decide if the extra cost is justified for a gun that is meant primarily for range fun (I've got modern AR rifles for serious stuff). The price of a non-chromed J&T barrel is attractive, but I can't help but think that's I'm still compromising more than I should. Anybody have any thoughts about whether or not the price of a high quality chromed barrel is justified for this application versus just buying a non-chromed one?

crusader377
10-06-11, 23:21
I've had the idea of building a 652 carbine which requires a 14.5 inch lightweight barrel. The dilemma I'm running into is that I'm pretty much limited to spending the money on a Daniel Defense barrel or going with either a chrome or non-chromed J&T Distributing barrel. I'd like to go with the DD barrel, but I can't decide if the extra cost is justified for a gun that is meant primarily for range fun (I've got modern AR rifles for serious stuff). The price of a non-chromed J&T barrel is attractive, but I can't help but think that's I'm still compromising more than I should. Anybody have any thoughts about whether or not the price of a high quality chromed barrel is justified for this application versus just buying a non-chromed one?

SoDak,

The difference in the costs between a lower quality JT barrel and a Daniel Defense barrel is not that great and should be no more than $100-$150. Since you don't need this carbine right away, I would just save a little longer and get the DD barrel which is a very high quality barrel that will last you a lifetime. Another option is BCM which also has 14.5" LW barrels in stock as well and they are very competitively priced.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Barrel-Stripped-p/bcm-brl-car%2014lw%20%20std.htm

SoDak
10-06-11, 23:39
Yeah, I'm no real hurry to build this, so I can wait to get the money for a DD barrel. I considered the BCM barrel, but the cost of pinning an FSB drives the cost above a DD barrel. I wish BCM would offer barrels with the FSB pinned since they have the ability to do so.

Caeser25
12-21-11, 18:56
I went the other way and picked up a Delton A2 LW Carbine upper non chrome lined. At $275 for the upper less bcg/charging handle with their black friday deal that's a steal for a gun that will see nothing but the range and is a tertiary rifle shtf. But if I'm down to my tertiary rifle shtf I've probably got bigger problems than if my barrel is chrome lined or not :ph34r:

lamarbrog
12-23-11, 01:15
I wouldn't be too worried about it on a range gun.

$100 is 500 rounds of plinking ammo. If the rifle doesn't need to be chrome lined... why pay to chrome line it? Especially considering you have a rifle for defense already, spend your savings by going with a cheaper barrel on a range gun on ammo to improve your skills.

dpaqu
12-25-11, 06:42
The OP was from October. Did you finish this yet?

SoDak
12-25-11, 09:41
The OP was from October. Did you finish this yet?

I finished my project. I ended up finding a chrome lined barrel to use.