PDA

View Full Version : left-handed shooters- which handgun do you use?

ozy
10-05-11, 17:38
A lefty here, who haS had an array of ambi pistols(92f,p30, cz-85,etc., and now the excellent walther PPQ).

was wondering what my fellow lefties out there use/recommend, tried and sold/ tried and kept?

many thanks for all inputs.

snackgunner
10-05-11, 17:43
M&P 9mm

DJK
10-05-11, 17:58
M&P9 & M&P45 plus S&W revolvers.

penates
10-05-11, 18:12
Use a H&K P2000 in .40 at work. Seems to work well for me and I am left handed.

Erk1015
10-05-11, 18:33
I tried a sig 250, hated it. Now I have a glock 19 and love it. I use the extended slide lock on it. I hit the slide lock with my right hand, it sounds strange, but when I reload I twist my hand around and up and hit it with my middle finger. I like the glock because of the mass of gear out there and because of how cheap parts are for it.

4thPointOfContact
10-05-11, 19:10
M&P .40 FS and a Glock 23 .40, I'd love to go back to a 1911 but I haven't seen any ambidextrous safeties that impressed me.

I find leaving the magazine release set up for a right-handed person to be easy and convenient.

Army Chief
10-05-11, 19:14
1911, and on occasion, P7 (PSP).

AC

jdgiii
10-05-11, 20:05
bone stock G19

monkeywrench
10-05-11, 20:44
3rd gen. Glock 19 just like Erk1015!

HES
10-05-11, 21:44
M&P 9mm FS. Formerly owned an M&P in .40

cop1211
10-05-11, 21:54
Glock,Sig,Ruger,Berreta,M&P HK. HK is my favorite.

flieger67
10-05-11, 22:18
Glock 19 is what I carry. I've learned to operate the mag release with the middle finger on my left hand. I do have the extended slide release installed but I'm thinking about going back to the standard-size lever as a result of a class with Rob Pincus.

I also have a Glock 34 with the large mag release. It came that way and I don't really find the larger release to be advantageous. If anything, the larger release digs into the side of my middle finger and is annoying at times.

I also have some 1911's and have ambi safeties on all of them. However I don't carry them concealed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Failure2Stop
10-05-11, 22:39
I do quite a bit of bilateral, and it's one of the reasons I went with a P30. Exactly the same on both sides, and very efficient control placement.

Lefty Gunner
10-05-11, 23:24
P2000 9mm is my original carry gun. Also CBOB with ambi safety.

As soon as I make a holster I will carry the M&P 45 fs. I shoot it as good as the 9mm so it is going to get some duty.

Started IDPA with G34 with extended slide release and mag release. Use middle finger right hand for slide release like Erk1015 and others. Switched to M&P 9 as the grip feels better. Polished and eased the slide release Apex sear and FP block and later the Extractor. Have used the 45 in SSP with good results.

ozy
10-06-11, 10:51
great posts and suggestions.... we have quit a split between the g19 and the m&p 9.... a couple of hks which i had and sold(the trigger , the trigger...)

has anyone tried the fn fnx 9?

obucina
10-06-11, 10:54
Sprignfield Loaded - cuz its got the ambi safety.
G27 - with the mag release on the right side, but i will swap it to the left side.

Artos
10-06-11, 11:04
1911 & 442

cody0341
10-06-11, 11:10
1911 and HK usp40 with the safe switched to the right side.

Tuukka
10-06-11, 14:29
Started out with a 9mm USP years back.

Good gun for a lefty, mag release with the trigger finger, very fast and smooth. Dead reliable also.

Switched to a Glock 17 later on, still press the magazine release with the trigger finger, not as easy as on the USP, but pretty good. Just like the ergonomics and for a lack of a better word, the shootability of the Glock more than the USP.

Guns-up.50
10-06-11, 15:55
Well i have a fs m&p9 great weapon, I carry a g19 (vickers mag release is a must) same with my 17. 1911 with a kimber ambi works good for me too. If you can get a 3rd gen glock do it they're a dieing breed good luck

Justin

RB-S13
10-06-11, 16:15
Gen 4 Glocks. I tried M&Ps and HKs but came back to Glock.

ozy
10-06-11, 18:41
Gen 4 Glocks. I tried M&Ps and HKs but came back to Glock.
have not tried the m&p s yet.... can you elaborate on how you manipulate the gen.4 glock with your left hand? anything different that the previous members are not utilizing?

maximus83
10-06-11, 18:42
Currently have:
- M&P's for carry and defensive use.
- 1911 (Springfield Custom), CZ 85 Combat (fully ambi), and Ruger Mk III 22/45 for fun, practice, and target shooting. Have carried the 1911 in the past, but don't anymore due to the weight.
- Kahr PM9 for carry while biking, running, or anytime I need deep concealment (I use a Smart Carry for these situations).

RB-S13
10-06-11, 19:22
have not tried the m&p s yet.... can you elaborate on how you manipulate the gen.4 glock with your left hand? anything different that the previous members are not utilizing?

For me the left handed Gen 4 mag release is perfect. I don't have to shift my grip to press it. As far as slide release I just use my right hand in the slingshot method.

The P30 was a great pistol. However I have long fingers and was constantly riding the slide release. I also had the da/sa trigger which was lacking. I may pick up a LEM P30 at some point but for me Glock works well at a lower price point.

I liked the M&P as well. I just had to make a choice and Glocks are easier to replace parts on for me.

If my glocks had an ambi slide release they would be perfect.:)

PdxMotoxer
10-06-11, 22:00
Full time south-paw.

Ruger SP101 .357 2 1/4"
M&P 9c
PF9
LCP

The sp101 is to heavy so now pulls nightstand duty.
and i love my PF9 but only shot it once in last 2 years so thinking of selling it.

LCP pocket during summer
M&P9c OWB fall/winter/spring

MANY models lost my $$$ because of the right only safety.

Lefty Gunner
10-06-11, 23:00
Added info to above post: HK P2000 has light LEM trigger springs installed. This makes all the difference in the world. Wish they would factory install these on all of their pistols. They cost to much compared to M&P for example to add $120 + Install fee + shipping to get LEM.

Also, on Glocks with extended Mag Releases: Trim the bottom corner where it hits your middle finger over the length of the edge with an exacto knife. Just a small curl of plastic off of the corner that hits your finger makes a world of difference comfort wise.

titsonritz
10-06-11, 23:49
3rd Gen Glock 19

polydeuces
10-07-11, 01:25
Switched from P220, 226 to M&P and NEVER looked back. Finally some justice - weak hand drills never felt so average.....:D

ozy
10-07-11, 08:02
some of you have emphasised gen.3 over gen.4, why?
i had the gen.g19 bu that many moons ago... so i have been away from the glock farm for a while......

brzusa.1911
10-07-11, 08:04
1911s and Glocks

viperashes
10-07-11, 08:26
Glock 17,19 and 26. All 3 with Ameriglow sights, Vickers mag catch, and Vickers slide stop.

The Vickers products are great because they give just enough extra ass to their respective functions without being overly large or inhibiting concealed carry.

kmrtnsn
10-07-11, 08:35
For a lefty no other pistol compares to the HK P2000 and P30. It has true ambi controls, both mag releases and slide releases/locks. I have the M&P (and Glocks, SIGs, and others) and the HK P2000SK, for a lefty a modern HK is without peer.

Guns-up.50
10-07-11, 09:06
some of view have emphasised gen.3 over gen.4, why?
i had the gen.g19 bu that many moons ago... so i have been away from the glock farm for a while......

IN MY OPINION
The gen threes are superior although I have heard the probs with the gens 4s are fixed. Again to me the only weapon the needs an ambi safety is a 1911 the rest dont fuk with. I switched my M&Ps mag catch over and could bareley use the damn thing.(switched it right back) I own 0 lefthanded guns from ARs to 870s. I wouldnt even consider putting a ambi anthing on my guns unless I changed my shooting style and did it to all my guns. Sorry for the rant but if you can work a right handed gun as a lefty well, dont switch you will confuse your brain.

maximus83
10-07-11, 09:46
For a lefty no other pistol compares to the HK P2000 and P30. It has true ambi controls, both mag releases and slide releases/locks. I have the M&P (and Glocks, SIGs, and others) and the HK P2000SK, for a lefty a modern HK is without peer.

For me, the ambi controls on the H&K's and the M&P's were different, but not significantly better or worse. I agree the unique mag release on the H&K is cool, ambi, and effective where it is on the trigger guard, but the one on the M&P works fine too. You can easily change the mag release to the right side in the M&P, but to be honest, as a LH shooter all my life, I never bother. With pistols I've always used my trigger finger to hit the mag release and it works fine. Don't even want a right-side mag release.

IMO, a key difference between the two pistols is the trigger. With the M&P (full disclosure: my experience with the H&K's has been limited to test-firing about 100 rounds through range rental units, testing them side-by-side with my M&P's), you can install the aftermarket APEX Tactical trigger kit for $89 and your total cost is still about $200 less than the H&K. And with the Apex trigger installed, the M&P becomes my preferred pistol over the H&K.

In any case, it definitely seems like the P30 and the M&P are great choices for a southpaw. I also wonder if eventually the new FNX pistols will be on the list--they're fully ambi and the factory trigger I thought was better than factory on both the P30 and M&P. But it seems like the FNX are not fully tested and proven yet.

ozy
10-07-11, 15:31
For me, the ambi controls on the H&K's and the M&P's were different, but not significantly better or worse. I agree the unique mag release on the H&K is cool, ambi, and effective where it is on the trigger guard, but the one on the M&P works fine too. You can easily change the mag release to the right side in the M&P, but to be honest, as a LH shooter all my life, I never bother. With pistols I've always used my trigger finger to hit the mag release and it works fine. Don't even want a right-side mag release.

IMO, a key difference between the two pistols is the trigger. With the M&P (full disclosure: my experience with the H&K's has been limited to test-firing about 100 rounds through range rental units, testing them side-by-side with my M&P's), you can install the aftermarket APEX Tactical trigger kit for $89 and your total cost is still about $200 less than the H&K. And with the Apex trigger installed, the M&P becomes my preferred pistol over the H&K.

In any case, it definitely seems like the P30 and the M&P are great choices for a southpaw. I also wonder if eventually the new FNX pistols will be on the list--they're fully ambi and the factory trigger I thought was better than factory on both the P30 and M&P. But it seems like the FNX are not fully tested and proven yet.

had the p30 and p200 and loved their ambi features... but was struggeling with their trigger. the walther ppq i just recently got seems to address that trigger issues and combine the hk's superb ergonomics.
the fnx -9 was on my short list, but a new one the FNS as in stiker fired, is gonig to be out after jan. of 2012.

PRMAN45ACP
10-07-11, 15:33
1911 and Glock :big_boss:

PdxMotoxer
10-07-11, 19:07
*surprised* there are a lot more "lefties" here than i would have thought.

H&K
10-08-11, 07:24

I agree as long as it is the LEM on those models. I did not like the de-cock button being on the wrong side of the hammer on the V3's.

HK45, 45c (LEM or V2) & P7 are also perfect for a southpaw!

Reconscout139
10-08-11, 09:46
for work, carry either a Ruger security six or a Glock 19 have at times carried a Browning, Ruger P89, H&K USP & once only an IMI (.40) the IMI is obnoxious for a left hander :( my own sidearm is a Beretta 92FS with Trijicon night sights & Hogue grips (Aluminium) I believe all combat handguns should be ambidextrous

Odglock
10-08-11, 10:33
GLOCK with extended slide stop lever

Odglock
10-08-11, 10:39
GLOCK with extended slide stop lever

Irish10
10-08-11, 12:07
Will be having rotator cuff surgery in a month so I just started carrying southpaw to get prepared. I carry a Walther P99c in an Alessi CQC/S OWB or a HK P7M8 or M13 in a Garrity Incognito Plus IWB that Mark sent me when he heard I was having the surgery. Either gun does the trick as there both southpaw friendly and easy to control with the HK out in front due to squeeze cock mechanism. Definitely a learning curve involved, I have always practiced shooting left handed but never carried that way so it's a whole new feeling and way of doing things. May even rely on my KT P3AT if needed.

Gutshot John
10-08-11, 12:36
There is no perfect gun for lefties.

I use M&P primarily and Glock secondarily and I'm comfortable with both.

I don't like most 1911 ambi safeties but that's no big deal.

Pick a weapon...train with it...you'll figure it out.

Mark/MO
10-08-11, 12:36
A lot of lefties here which is a little surprising. Sometimes I feel as if I'm the only one. In the past I've owned or shot a 1911 w/ ambidextrous safety, SW 4506, 92F, Walter PPK, Glocks and a number of revolvers. I now just have Glocks, a J frame and a few other revolvers. On the Glocks I use my trigger finger to release the magazine which sounds more awkward than it really is. I've grown to like the ideas of no levers or other controls to mess with to bring my handgun into action.

montrala
10-08-11, 16:44
I use P2000SK for carry/IDPA and P30L for carry/IPSC/IDPA. Both with 6lb LEM. I want to get HK45C.

In the past I used USP Expert and custom STI 2011, both for IPSC competition.

trinydex
10-08-11, 22:26
I tried a sig 250, hated it. Now I have a glock 19 and love it. I use the extended slide lock on it. I hit the slide lock with my right hand, it sounds strange, but when I reload I twist my hand around and up and hit it with my middle finger. I like the glock because of the mass of gear out there and because of how cheap parts are for it.

do you have fairly large hands? is this actually faster than racking the slide?

trinydex
10-08-11, 22:29
Also, on Glocks with extended Mag Releases: Trim the bottom corner where it hits your middle finger over the length of the edge with an exacto knife. Just a small curl of plastic off of the corner that hits your finger makes a world of difference comfort wise.

so crucial, never thought to bring it up, but glad you did as it is what i do also.

trinydex
10-08-11, 22:41
There is no perfect gun for lefties.

I use M&P primarily and Glock secondarily and I'm comfortable with both.

I don't like most 1911 ambi safeties but that's no big deal.

Pick a weapon...train with it...you'll figure it out.

i agree fully with working with your gun, it can all be worked out.

i feel there are some guns more perfect than others for lefties. i think the 1911 with ambi safety is almost as good as a fully ambi gun such as the m&p. i can hit the slight stop with my index finger, i can drop the mag with my index finger, i wouldn't say these methods give up much speed compared to a right handed operator.

the same could be said about usps although i'll never shoot a usp in anything besides compact just because of grip size.

of course the modernized hk guns have the ergos all sorted, but as someone mentioned if you have long fingers you can run into the whole riding the slide stop thing. similarly if you have short fingers or short thumbs it's possible to push the slide stop out while shooting a 1911. only happened to me once, but it's something to be cognizant of. (the same can't happen for an hk because the slide stop nub on the other end is flush in a countersunk hole)

i feel like the m&p is the most ergonomically perfect on paper and it seems a lot of people favor it in real life too. i've been heavily contemplating a switch, but i'm ever so heavily invested in glock, consequently the most UNambi friendly company ever.

there's just no way for me to drop the slide as fast as a right hander for glock. maybe that'll just have to do, after all, there's no way for me to drop the bolt as fast as a right hander with the ar15 platform either. sigh.

Erk1015
10-08-11, 23:14
do you have fairly large hands? is this actually faster than racking the slide?

I haven't timed it to be precise, but I believe it's faster than racking overhand. I would say that my hands are average size, but my fingers are fairly long.

I used to use my trigger finger to hit the slide stop, I switched to this method because I found that there are some pistols (beretta and sig mostly) that I can't reliably hit the slide stop with my left hand. This way it doesn't matter what I'm using, the mechanics are the same.

trinydex
10-08-11, 23:22
I haven't time it to be precise, but I believe it's faster than racking overhand. I would say that my hands are average size, but my fingers are fairly long.

I used to use my trigger finger to hit the slide stop, I switched to this method because I found that there are some pistols (beretta and sig mostly) that I can't reliably hit the slide stop with my left hand. This way it doesn't matter what I'm using, the mechanics are the same.

i just tested this a few times on a few different guns. i believe i tried it a long time ago when i wasn't as open to new ideas. i'll have to give this some serious training time. i appreciate your sharing this new method.

Gutshot John
10-08-11, 23:32
i agree fully with working with your gun, it can all be worked out.

The bottom line is that a whole lot of people, waste a whole lot of time and effort trying to figure out what is or is not the perfect gun when that effort is better expended simply learning to shoot what they've chosen. There is simply no reason to get wrapped around the axle to realize only a marginal improvement.

In my experience the 1911 is the last gun a lefty would choose due to the flawed design of most ambi safeties. I've had waaaayyy too many of them shit the bed. Does that mean I'm objectively correct? Maybe...maybe not. I'm not arrogant enough to believe that my answer is the only correct one.

HK likewise has its own shortcomings...for lefties or others. They don't work for me at all, triggers suck, bore axis is too high and they shoot like bricks, I shoot much better with Glocks or M&Ps. I would have stuck with the Glock exclusively had it not been a problem for my wife to shoot (her hands are too small and she is a righty). Since the idea of being able to share mags and that I also found that my shooting was quantitatively and qualitatively better with the M&P...I made the switch. I tried the PPQ trying to get an even more lefty friendly gun and found that it didn't deliver any measurable improvement and would have required a significant investment in training time, supporting gear that I didn't feel was justified...so I sold the PPQ and will never make that mistake again.

These of course are my own opinions based on my own efforts trying to figure out which gun is "ideal". YMMV but of course that's the point.

Any preference is simply a question of a subjective judgment. If you're heavily invested in Glock and it works for you, then there is no reason to switch.

Saying one gun or the other is "objectively" better for lefties (or righties for that matter) is inherently flawed. It almost always comes down to personal preference and proficiency.

Pick one, practice and stick with it.

Muzzy
10-08-11, 23:32
Left friendly

Real Time Ambi

1*) Walther PPQ (FTLB not too bad) I agree it is the BEST OVERALL.

2) HK P30 LEM or DA/SA (FTLB too much)

3) HK P2000 LEM or DA/SA (FTLB not too Bad)

Can be Set to Left Dedicated

1) Glock Gen 4 26, 19, 17 (NO FTLB; reliability?)

2) SIG P250 (DAO revolver like trigger; reliability?)

3) M+P (I like the 9C best of M+P) (but I do not like triggers)

Erk1015
10-08-11, 23:53
I don't want to take credit for the idea or anything like that. I saw a video, can't remember who made the video, where a guy used that method and I thought it was a pretty interesting idea so I tried it out. It took a while to retrain my brain from the old method, but now it's pretty much automatic.

Gutshot John
10-09-11, 00:06
The support hand finger curling under the strong hand to activate the slide catch is fairly common, many lefties actually figure it out by default. While I practiced that technique often, and was very comfortable with it, and while it worked 99% of the time, twice in competition and 4 times during a shooting class I fumble-****ed it. It became clear to me that had those times been an actual gunfight...I'd be dead as disco.

The bottom line is that lefties and righties both should only use the slide stop in competition, if at all. Racking the slide with an overhand grab is marginally slower but has never failed (I've even used it with a slick gun). When it comes to getting your gun back into the fight, when there is no margin of error, 100% beats 99%.

You'll notice that most, if not all, manufacturers refer to it is a slide stop/catch and not a slide release. There is a reason for that.

trinydex
10-09-11, 00:16
The bottom line is that a whole lot of people, waste a whole lot of time and effort trying to figure out what is or is not the perfect gun when that effort is better expended simply learning to shoot what they've chosen. There is simply no reason to get wrapped around the axle to realize only a marginal improvement.

In my experience the 1911 is the last gun a lefty would choose due to the flawed design of most ambi safeties. I've had waaaayyy too many of them shit the bed. Does that mean I'm objectively correct? Maybe...maybe not. I'm not arrogant enough to believe that my answer is the only correct one.

HK likewise has its own shortcomings...for lefties or others. They don't work for me at all, triggers suck, bore axis is too high and they shoot like bricks, I shoot much better with Glocks or M&Ps. I would have stuck with the Glock exclusively had it not been a problem for my wife to shoot (her hands are too small and she is a righty). Since the idea of being able to share mags and that I also found that my shooting was quantitatively and qualitatively better with the M&P...I made the switch. I tried the PPQ trying to get an even more lefty friendly gun and found that it didn't deliver any measurable improvement and would have required a significant investment in training time, supporting gear that I didn't feel was justified...so I sold the PPQ and will never make that mistake again.

These of course are my own opinions based on my own efforts trying to figure out which gun is "ideal". YMMV but of course that's the point.

Any preference is simply a question of a subjective judgment. If you're heavily invested in Glock and it works for you, then there is no reason to switch.

Saying one gun or the other is "objectively" better for lefties (or righties for that matter) is inherently flawed. It almost always comes down to personal preference and proficiency.

i think this has been one of the best leftie threads every. many times when i've seen leftie (or other non mainstream) threads, people nary want to discuss the great workarounds or the successes they've had by doing something a different way than "normal"

Gutshot John
10-09-11, 00:22
i think this has been one of the best leftie threads every. many times when i've seen leftie (or other non mainstream) threads, people nary want to discuss the great workarounds or the successes they've had by doing something a different way than "normal"

And I would agree with that. There are enough lefty gun "hacks" that the type of gun chosen is secondary.

For instance, I believe in keeping the right-handed mag release on the left side of the gun rather than switching it around. I'm much faster and I compromise my grip much less.

ozy
10-09-11, 08:19

truer words could'nt have been spoken. great posts by everyone, can't thank you enough for such great inputs on all levels.

gutshot jouhn-- what was it about the PPQ that turned you off, me curious?

keep it coming and going.

Erk1015
10-09-11, 08:47
And I would agree with that. There are enough lefty gun "hacks" that the type of gun chosen is secondary.

For instance, I believe in keeping the right-handed mag release on the left side of the gun rather than switching it around. I'm much faster and I compromise my grip much less.

I do the same thing, I hit it with my middle finger. I started doing it in the military with the beretta, there wasn't really an option to do anything else, and I've just kept it because it works fine for me. It's the same as the slide stop thing for me, I can do it on any semi-auto and the movement of my finger is almost exactly the same.

Robb Jensen
10-09-11, 08:53
The best Lefty shooter that I know is member Looey (Luis Gines) and he shoots a Glock 17 w/factory extended slide stop lever. He uses his weakhand middle and ring finger to release the slide after seating a fresh magazine. He's very fast.

polydeuces
10-09-11, 09:10
I'm with gutshot john on the overhand slide, only issue is being left-handed on a rt. side slidestop is doublefeed/stovepipes and other failure drills, this is where having a left-handed slidestop is beyond valuable.

Better yet - I think EVERY modern gun should be set up more or less ambidextrous.
Mag release can be either way, having shot both left and right I can say I am equally fast (slow?) - it's all about developing that system.

My main argument, and I think truly one of the most underrrated ones at that, for ambi set-up is weak-handed shooting: having done a class where ALL we did was weak-handed, ALL...DAY...LONG......(everyone should do this, it is enormously revealing!), the real value of my M&P became apparent: One less thing to worry about - which when you're forced to go weak side its something that could save your arse.

zxd9
10-09-11, 19:23
XD9 Tactical

Gutshot John
10-09-11, 19:55
I'm with gutshot john on the overhand slide, only issue is being left-handed on a rt. side slidestop is doublefeed/stovepipes and other failure drills, this is where having a left-handed slidestop is beyond valuable.

How do you get a double-feed/stovepipe by using on overhand to drop the slide on slide-lock? I think you're confused about something, it's simply not possible, but perhaps I'm missing what you're saying.

Even if it was, why would having a left handed slidestop make a difference after you've already caused a doublefeed? You'd need to remove the magazine...clear the weapon, rack the slide several times, lock the slide back, reinsert the mag and re-drop the slide. On a stovepipe, you'd need to tap/rack/bang anyways. So one way or the other, racking the slide is part of the failure drill.

Getting back to the heart of the issue.

Activating the slide-stop is almost always faster if everything goes according to plan. Slingshotting the slide is slower but there is less chance of failure. Pick your poison, but practice it extensively. I'm almost as fast now with a slide grab but occasionally I catch myself reverting to activating the slide-stop. In competition I'd probably go for the slide-stop. Since I don't trust myself to be consistent when it really matters, I try as much as possible to default to the slide rack.

Using an M&P a lefty has more options than the Glock where an extended slide-stop is mandatory for a lefty. In either case you're using the support hand to activate the slide-stop.

SA80Dan
10-09-11, 21:45
Glocks for me. I always fit extended slide stops - not so much to use to release the slide, which I typically overhand/slingshot - but because I use my trigger finger to operate it when locking the slide back (either to show clear or as required for a complex stoppage clearance), and the extended slide stop gives you that much more purchase on it to do these drills efficiently this way. I use my (left) firing hand middle finger for the mag release.

Kronos451
10-10-11, 20:55
I'm left-handed and have always been partial to the 1911, of which I have several. But my Tupperware guns include M&P's (9c and 9), a Kahr PM9, and a Walther PPQ, among others. Great combinations of good triggers (sold my HK's because of the triggers, along with my SIGs), ergonomic layout, and configurable grips are what typically make a handgun attractive to me.

Kronos451

ozy
10-11-11, 07:08
I'm left-handed and have always been partial to the 1911, of which I have several. But my Tupperware guns include M&P's (9c and 9), a Kahr PM9, and a Walther PPQ, among others. Great combinations of good triggers (sold my HK's because of the triggers, along with my SIGs), ergonomic layout, and configurable grips are what typically make a handgun attractive to me.

Kronos451

i'm with you on the waltherPPQ. have not had much chemistry with any of kahrs, hks nor the sigs.
many lefties here, though, gravitate towards the glocks...which i had 10 years ago or so..... mmmmmmmm......

ozy
10-19-11, 13:42
on a whim , i bought a gen.4 19 a few days ago(the price was right!;)), and fired ~400 uneventful rounds thru it this morning.

i operated everything with my left hand, but must confess the the large mag. release was killing me. oth, it is a lot easier to activate, though.:help:!!!!
didn't utilize the slide realese at all ,but used the slingshot method which is so much faster for me anyway.(i use the same also with my walther PPQ, despite its ambi slide realese.)
the gen 4 is amuch more robust, blanced and ergonimically correct then my previous gen2.19.
the trigger felt alot heavier then i remember it( and signifcantly so in comparison to the excleent-out-the-box- walther PPQ'S).

ozy
11-29-11, 12:41
update--
i find myself using/shooing/carrying more and more the glock19, then my ppq, and it appears that muscle- memory from yesteryear is still intact for the glock.
one of the things i like about the gen4 is the changeable backstraps that allow me a much higher/closer purchase of the gun.
so is the glock the best choice for lefties, afterall?

montrala
11-29-11, 16:30

Maybe its best choice for you. Everyone, lefty or not, have own preferences.

ozy
11-30-11, 07:03
fair enough, montrala.

MiggyE
12-01-11, 08:22
leftie here.... used to carry a HK USP decades ago. currently using a Tanfoglio Force Compact as a carry. had to get ambi safety for it, but otherwise works well....

flieger67
12-01-11, 16:23
one of the things i like about the gen4 is the changeable backstraps that allow me a much higher/closer purchase of the gun.

Don't forget that you can also reverse the magazine catch on the Gen4's. That will restrict magazines to those compatible with the reversed catch, but it might be a benefit to some shooters.

I think the Glock is a great choice for a self-/home-defense pistol, regardless of what your dominant hand is. Being a left-hander, a Glock 19 is my carry gun because I find it comfortable to operate and shoot. I used it through a 3-day course with Rob Pincus and that experience confirmed to me that it's a pistol that I'm quite comfortable with.

As for it being the "best choice for lefties", that's a personal decision.

ozy
05-07-12, 16:49
after 6 monthes or so with my array of glocks, i'm back full circle to the glock platform,and really have enjoyed them immensly.
sometimes i'll use the slingback method and sometimes the reaching from under to activate the slide stop.
the pistols(6 now!), have 3000-6000 rounds thru them(depends on model)and have worked flawlessly .
on a whim i fired my ex- hk(sold to a friend) few days ago, and i couldn't hit a tank standing, with it.........great ergonomics ,but just ain't for me.
any other lefties, in their right mind, who use other pistols out there?

Lightninrod
05-07-12, 18:22
Glock 23 for several years now but recently bought a PPQ9 and then two weeks later, a PPQ 40. The PPQ 9 has been flawless in its operation but the 40prihas had 5 or 6 FTFs though the last two mags of 40s fed fine.

I got the PPQs due to the ambidextrous controls and its accuracy.

trinydex
05-07-12, 19:26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A0eJtDz1l4&list=UUX8Ll1gO3ZQ4n6Zgqv9RDGg&index=52&feature=plcp

i posted this in another thread. it takes some practice. it's not my cup of tea but it could be for others.

HackerF15E
05-07-12, 19:48
1911s and 92FS.

Growing up a lefty, I taught myself to flick left-side the safety on and off using my index/trigger finger.

I'm sure there's a 1911 expert out there who is having a heart attack reading that, but it generally works for me -- mostly when drawing and flicking the safety off. It's worked for me for about 18 years.

That being said, one of these days I'll put an ambi safety on one of them.

TerribLe_T
05-08-12, 12:33
M&P 45c with the mag release switched over for a lefty.

My next purchase is going to be the Walther PPQ in 9mm. HK controls with much better price tag.

Arik
05-08-12, 13:00
As a lefty i have no problem using guns with slide releases like on the HK USP or 1911 or steel S&W semi autos. Mag releases never bothered me. Glock slide release bothers me a little.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

maximus83
05-08-12, 15:40
Activating the slide-stop is almost always faster if everything goes according to plan. Slingshotting the slide is slower but there is less chance of failure. Pick your poison, but practice it extensively. I'm almost as fast now with a slide grab but occasionally I catch myself reverting to activating the slide-stop. In competition I'd probably go for the slide-stop. Since I don't trust myself to be consistent when it really matters, I try as much as possible to default to the slide rack.

This is good advice IMO, it is what I was taught at a training class this last year and I have converted to the slingshot method on my M&P's, which are my primary carry guns.

This leads to the ONE thing that I find really annoying about my Kahr PM9: the PM9's don't slingshot very reliably. They say even in the manual to always use the slide lock after a reload (when you slingshot, it can fairly often fail to go into battery). I don't mind doing that, but it's annoying because then there's basically a different operating procedure between this lightweight carry, and my ordinary M&P's.

Anyway, to the OP's question: I find the M&P to be a very LH-friendly platform, and that's mainly what I carry.

For fun and better accuracy at 20+ yards, I also like my CZ 85 Combat, and my Cylinder & Slide 9mm 1911. And I'm running the CZ the same as the M&P: though it HAS an ambi slide release, I've basically quit using it.

polydeuces
05-09-12, 08:20
How do you get a double-feed/stovepipe by using on overhand to drop the slide on slide-lock? I think you're confused about something, it's simply not possible, but perhaps I'm missing what you're saying.

Even if it was, why would having a left handed slidestop make a difference after you've already caused a doublefeed? You'd need to remove the magazine...clear the weapon, rack the slide several times, lock the slide back, reinsert the mag and re-drop the slide. On a stovepipe, you'd need to tap/rack/bang anyways. So one way or the other, racking the slide is part of the failure drill.

Getting back to the heart of the issue.

Using an M&P a lefty has more options than the Glock where an extended slide-stop is mandatory for a lefty. In either case you're using the support hand to activate the slide-stop.

Hey John, here's a very delayed reply for ya.... (just now saw this one..);
I was referring to sling-shot for regular slide-release/reload scenarios.
For which location of slide release is irrelevant.

However, as a left-handed shooter, having a slide stop on the right side (i.e. left-handed) is invaluable for solving failures.
Hope that explains.
This is why I likes my M&P - or for that matter any ambi rig.

For those still not clear, take an ambi pistol and try solving failures requiring locking the slide back only using "support side (rt hand shooter use left hand slide stop, and so on).
You will see what I mean soon enough. It's a juggling act.
Now imagine doing this under stress.

ozy
05-10-12, 11:35
trinydex, thank for the grey video link. interesting..... the first two methods are pretty much a sure thing.... the third method shifts the gun in your hand and might prove to be slower after all.

Dave L.
05-10-12, 13:58
Glocks as a primary, LCP or 442 as BUG.