PDA

View Full Version : Best SPR Style Rifle vs Cost?

Devildawg2531
10-05-11, 18:58
I am looking to buy my 2nd AR and setting it up as more of a RECCE / SPR type. Leaning towards an 18" SPR with rifle gas. My 1st AR is a lightweight DD and set up with Aimpoint and X300 so I want to set this up as a precision type rifle with a variable power scope. I've looked at the Larue Tactical Upper and buying a complete lower from BCM or DD. The Larue Tactical Upper is $1195 on their website (which seems high). Is the performance of the Larue Upper in terms of accuracy better than say a complete Upper from BCM with a stainless barrel? Is there a more cost effective way to get into a top tier SPR type rifle? I have searched and read a lot of posts on the SPR and RECCE types but wanted to get some advice (this was what I did prior to buying my lightweight DDM3 and it's been exactly what I hoped).

Appreciate the input.

C-grunt
10-05-11, 23:40
When I was looking into a SPR/RECCE type rifle I think I priced out a 16 inch BCM upper complete for right about 1k.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid16%20ss410%20ddl12.htm

Get a blem BCM lower with a Geiselle trigger for like 410 bucks and you are just in need of an optic and ammo.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-06-11, 13:32
I have a 16inch BCM Middy SS and it runs great. I agree with your 18 inch rifle length gas system. I had a 18in JP already, so I went with the 16 SS as a back-up to the JP and a Novekse Light Recce.

Devildawg2531
10-06-11, 20:16
Is there an accuracy or performance advantage with the Larue or Noveske upper vs the BCM or just name brand and more $$$? I havent shot either of the above so kind of digging for what is "better" as I've heard nothing but positives with the BCM products.

seb5
10-06-11, 21:43
There is not much accuracy difference as far as I can tell, with shooting all three. I have to give the pure accuracy advantage to the Larue but believe the real difference is more in subtle refinements than accuracy. You're talking about my personal 3 favorite AR manufacturers.

Devildawg2531
10-07-11, 08:53
There is not much accuracy difference as far as I can tell, with shooting all three. I have to give the pure accuracy advantage to the Larue but believe the real difference is more in subtle refinements than accuracy. You're talking about my personal 3 favorite AR manufacturers.

That is good to know. If I go with the Larue upper I would probably not do the Larue lower just do to cost. Is there a negative to putting a BCM lower on the Larue upper? Not from a resale standpoint but from performance / function? I would be buying a complete upper / lower as I'm not ready to take on building yet.

Evergreen
10-07-11, 10:15
How would the DPMS SASS rifle fare for this application? Being a DPMS, I am sure it is inferior quality to something like BCM or LMT, but I have heard a few people swear by the quality of some of the DPMS 308 rifles. I've been pondering the issue myself. Right now I am selling my DPMS LR-308 24in SS bbl and in favor getting a more lightweight, yet still feasible for long range, .308 or 6.8 rifle.

DocGKR
10-07-11, 11:28
For a 5.56 mm SPR type rifle, I'd recommend going with a 16" barrel "Recce/Recon" style configuration--it is hard to beat the accuracy and quality from vendors like LaRue, Centurian Arms, BCM, Noveske, and MSTN.

NUTT
10-07-11, 16:09
I'm in sort of the same dilemma, with the exception that I want something lighter.

Have you considered that? For complete rifles, the Larue PredatAR is $1500 and the Noveske Rogue Hunter is $1700.

I think you'd be hard pressed to beat the $1500 for the Larue given the Geissele SSA trigger. You could probably build a lower with better parts than the Noveske spec and come out at the same price.

The only drawback I see is that you probably shouldn't do mag dumps with the lighter profile barrels.

maximus83
10-07-11, 16:27
I just recently went through the same decision making as the OP, wanted to add a 2nd AR that was more of a precision rifle. I ended up doing something similar to what DocGKR suggested, a "recce/recon" build with a 16" barrel. I weighed the whole 20" vs 18" vs 16" decision, but in the end (and considering my common uses for the rifle), the limited ballistic gains of the longer barrels and the loss of mobility didn't seem worth it. So my upper was built around the BCM SS ion-bond 16" barrel, an impressive barrel and only a couple oz heavier than their standard CL barrels. Pair a good stainless barrel with a good trigger like a Geissele, and you have the foundation for an accurate rifle, and one that is still handy and could be used (secondarily) in a CQ fighting gun role.

wetidlerjr
10-09-11, 11:04
This is what I picked up recently. BCM SS410 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ PRI 12" BLACK Handguard 1/8 Twist (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid16%20ss410%20pri12black.htm)
It makes me look good and it still has other uses besides precision. I now have retired my other BM upper. :D

Devildawg2531
10-09-11, 14:29
This is what I picked up recently. BCM SS410 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ PRI 12" BLACK Handguard 1/8 Twist (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid16%20ss410%20pri12black.htm)
It makes me look good and it still has other uses besides precision. I now have retired my other BM upper. :D

I'm starting to lean towards an all BCM set up (will need to get the upper and lower seperately to spread out the $$$). What type of accuracy are you getting with the BCM 16" Stainless? Anyone tried the BCM ion bond black barrels - any real advantage to these over standard stainless?

wetidlerjr
10-09-11, 16:28
I'm starting to lean towards an all BCM set up (will need to get the upper and lower seperately to spread out the $$$). What type of accuracy are you getting with the BCM 16" Stainless? Anyone tried the BCM ion bond black barrels - any real advantage to these over standard stainless?

I haven't had it long enough to (just got it) to answer that. I haven't shot anything but plinking-type ammo to zero, etc. I do have some decent 69 gr. re-loads that I will try out this week for some more serious testing. :cool:

Pappabear
10-09-11, 18:27
I went with a 18 inch White Oak Barrel / rifle system and a 12 DD rail with BCM upper. Its a half inch gun and the rifle gas system makes it smooth.

BCM has so many uppers already built, you should be able to find a winner. If you can swing the money, Noveske is tops and they also offer a variety of configurations to choose.

Id go Noveske on the upper and Larue on the mount:D

Devildawg2531
10-10-11, 18:07

SEB5 - if you quantify the accuracy advantage of the Larue barrel vs the ss BCM what if the difference. .5 MOA vs .75 or 1 MOA? I had gotten close to going with the BCM but looking at the Larue SPR again is pulling me towards the Larue. The Larue upper is $1195 on their website can you typically get the Larue products cheaper at there distributors?

amac
10-12-11, 22:03
I recently did the same thing. I assembled an 18" spr to complement my 12.5" sbr. Like Pappabear, after doing some research, I went with a White Oak barrel, rifle length system with Centurion rail. I bought everything from Rainier Arms. It ran about $1200. They are good people and have plenty of items in stock. Which brings me to my question, how long will you have to wait for the Larue or Noveske? They were 4-6 months when I last checked.

Devildawg2531
10-13-11, 19:32
I recently did the same thing. I assembled an 18" spr to complement my 12.5" sbr. Like Pappabear, after doing some research, I went with a White Oak barrel, rifle length system with Centurion rail. I bought everything from Rainier Arms. It ran about $1200. They are good people and have plenty of items in stock. Which brings me to my question, how long will you have to wait for the Larue or Noveske? They were 4-6 months when I last checked.

AMAC _ I'm not familiar with the White Oak barrel upper. Did the upper cost $1200 or the whole rifle? I haven't checked on Noveske or Larue wait times. I'm still in the research stage and may be more towards Christmas before I place the order. I wouldn't mind waiting 4 - 6 months for it to arrive - if its best. I'd like to have a 1/2 MOA gun if I I can get that within reason ($1500 - $1600 before optics).