PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on TAG gear?

stitchclimber
10-05-11, 20:03
Trying to find a plate carrier that won't break the bank, but is still quality. Got turned onto Tactical Assault Gear, and I noticed they had great prices on their vests. I've got sling from them but I was wondering on peoples opinion of their gear was.

JohnnyC
10-05-11, 23:37
In the interest of disclosure, I don't own any TAG products. That being said, they teamed up with LC Industries, a company that employs the blind. I think it's a noble gesture and one worth supporting considering unemployment rates within the blind community. I wouldn't have any problem owning any of their gear if it fit my needs, although I have heard that ordering from TAG directly can often lead to long lead times and you're better off ordering from a reseller with the item you want in stock.

cmoore
10-05-11, 23:39
I have a plate carrier that I really like. Can't recall the model, but it's about 150-180 dollars and also takes side plates if you wish. I have several M4 mag pouches and various dump pouches from them that are fine too.

Iraq Ninja
10-06-11, 07:30
Their quality is good, but their customer service sucked around 2009. Some of us still remember the Black Friday fiasco. Took me over seven months to get a plate carrier. I will never buy over the internet from them again.

kest_01
10-06-11, 07:36
Don't have their plate carrier, but have a few bags and some of their mag and gp pouches, quality is good, and they've held up well. Pouches got a little worn after last depolyment to afg, but thats to be expected. I have no issues with buying more of their items and have recommended their kit to fellow Soldiers. GTG in my book, YMMV.

JSantoro
10-06-11, 10:38
Their gear is well-designed, well-crafted, and durable (comma) however...

Buy from one of their distributors.

Never, ever buy directly from TAG. You're spinning the
Wheel of Destiny if you do.

obucina
10-06-11, 11:12
i had a Phalanx chest rig that I recently sold to a fellow forum member. while it had a TAG hang tag, the inside had a Shellback Tactical tag stitched onto it.

sgtjosh
10-06-11, 18:35
I know guys who buy direct from their retail location in San Diego. I have heard no complaints. I think they even do custom work from their retail shop.

GotAmmo
10-06-11, 19:52
i bought from the directly in 2010 and the only hiccup was in the manufacturing of the rig, the replaced it quickly and apologized

thinking about ordering there gear again shortly

CRAMBONE
10-06-11, 21:44
Majority of my gear is TAG. Their quality is great and it works for me. I have ordered from their website prolly 4 times and the only problem I have had was when I placed an order during one of their 4th of July sales, and it took a couple months to get ever thing in. Last order I placed from them was 2 days before I flew overseas and they over nighted my order for free to make sure I got it in time.

Just do not buy a 148 pouch and try to make it work for a 152.

HardToHandle
10-16-11, 17:30
Their quality is good, but their customer service sucked around 2009. Some of us still remember the Black Friday fiasco. Took me over seven months to get a plate carrier. I will never buy over the internet from them again.

This...

Nice gear, but PITA to endure the five month delay in my Thanksgiving sale debacle. I also haven't found anything too innovative from them, but solid (if often heavily-built) gear.

aflin
10-16-11, 21:28
I used to have chest rigs from them. They have great stuff, top notch kit. I too went through the Thanksgiving debacle, took a eternity for my order to come in. But for the prices and quality, it was a no brainer.

Their line holds up very well and their customer service is amazing.