PDA

View Full Version : tritium sights

donwalk
10-05-11, 20:07
I'm kicking around the idea of a set of tritium sights for my M4 for low light shooting.

pro? cons?

i have a red/green dot vortex already but i don't care for the xtra weight it puts topside. (and...i prefer the standard A2 carry handle, open sights.)

TangoSauce
10-05-11, 20:12
I run a Troy tritium on the front sight only. A red dot on your optics will provide the best contrast when you run both. I don't run tritium on the rear site simply because if you have to toss up your BUIS with your optic on there are just too many dots to pay attention to as well as the fact it's right next to your face also the price. That's just my own take on it.

mkmckinley
10-05-11, 20:16
Personally I would put the money toward an Aimpoint but that's not what you asked. What's the rifle for? If you're forced to use irons a tritium front sight may not be a terrible idea. However are you going to be shooting something/someone without white light IDing it? The times I've used irons in low light I was also illuminating the target so a tritium sight was not necessary. It's not something I would spend my money on but I don't see how it could hurt, especially if you're not running a RDS. Tangosuace has good advice: If you do end up getting them get the front sight only, any tritium in the rear will be distracting and you don't need it on a peep sight.

sgtjosh
10-05-11, 20:26
I run a tritium front sight with a non tritium Magpul BUIS (G2.) My primary optic is an Aimpoint PRO. If you run a weapon-light, the tritium may not be necessary, as it will back light your front sight through the rear aperture to some degree.

KhanRad
10-05-11, 20:31
Personally I would put the money toward an Aimpoint but that's not what you asked. What's the rifle for? If you're forced to use irons a tritium front sight may not be a terrible idea. However are you going to be shooting something/someone without white light IDing it? The times I've used irons in low light I was also illuminating the target so a tritium sight was not necessary. It's not something I would spend my money on but I don't see how it could hurt, especially if you're not running a RDS. Tangosuace has good advice: If you do end up getting them get the front sight only, any tritium in the rear will be distracting and you don't need it on a peep sight.

+1

I've run Trijicons on a AR before and was not impressed. You'd be much better off saving your money towards an Aimpoint.

Doxiedad
10-06-11, 05:00
I've thought about either getting the tritium front sights, or just painting the top white or something. I took it to the range and was having a little trouble quickly picking up the front sight against the black target at the not so well lit indoor range.

donwalk
10-06-11, 18:36
thanks guys...i may go for the (tritium) front sight only option; it makes a lot of sense.