PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Shooting Problem

Redmanfms
10-05-11, 21:44
It's been a long time since I went to the range (nearly a year). I'm focusing on the pistol and, well, I'm shooting consistently to the left. I know for certain it's me, I'm doing it with every centerfire pistol I have (except, oddly, my revolvers), Glock, Sig, and 1911. So anyway, I check diagnostic targets online and they say "Too little trigger finger." Forgive me, but I don't know what that means.

Anybody have an explanation of the problem and a solution to it?

NCPatrolAR
10-05-11, 21:47
Basically means that you are pressing the trigger with the very tip of your finger instead of using the center of the pad.

Para1*
10-05-11, 23:12
Yes, if you're a right handed shooter and you use to little finger it can cause you to push it to the left. If you have short fingers it may be hard to avoid and you just have to be aware of it. Too much finger can also cause this, so the middle meaty part between the tip and first joint of your finger is what you want. We right handed shooters will generally shoot to the left when we go too fast because we start jerking the trigger too. Smooth pull strait back is what you need and finger placement can assist in that.

Failure2Stop
10-05-11, 23:20
Left by how far at what distance.
You might be pushing the trigger, and thus the barrel, left with lateral pressure on the trigger with the trigger finger.
This case will generally produce a group at 9:00 with a right handed shooter.

However, if you are seeing an elongated group, especially with deep left fliers with a few shots to point of aim, I would internet diagnose a pre-ignition push with the right hand. This is sometimes called various different things: snatching the trigger, jerking the trigger, and poor trigger control, but it isn't really a trigger problem, it's a problem with some shooters in how they interact with the trigger at the moment the gun is fired.

Both of these can be worked on with dry-fire and ball and dummy drills.

FWIW- 99% of shooters experiencing this problem (except long-range, bullseye type shooting) are anticipating.

red headed stranger
10-06-11, 02:57
I know this is weird thing to suggest, but check out Dave Sevigny's “Snapfinger” exercise, which uses a tube of lip balm:

http://sassbrassnbullets.com/2011/04/06/the-sevigny-snapfinger-dry-fire-exercise/

I really did notice a difference.

Redmanfms
10-06-11, 23:29
Left by how far at what distance.

Measured POI (bullseye) to center of group 2-3" at 25 yards, less at closer range. Group size is what I consider to be acceptable.

You might be pushing the trigger, and thus the barrel, left with lateral pressure on the trigger with the trigger finger.
This case will generally produce a group at 9:00 with a right handed shooter.

Possible, because if I moved my finger much farther over on the trigger it would be right underneath my first knuckle so I don't think it's the "too little trigger finger" thing.

However, if you are seeing an elongated group, especially with deep left fliers with a few shots to point of aim, I would internet diagnose a pre-ignition push with the right hand. This is sometimes called various different things: snatching the trigger, jerking the trigger, and poor trigger control, but it isn't really a trigger problem, it's a problem with some shooters in how they interact with the trigger at the moment the gun is fired.

Not seeing any stringing, but that doesn't eliminate those as possible causes.

Both of these can be worked on with dry-fire and ball and dummy drills.

FWIW- 99% of shooters experiencing this problem (except long-range, bullseye type shooting) are anticipating.

Anticipating could very well be the cause.

Failure2Stop
10-07-11, 05:19
Measured POI (bullseye) to center of group 2-3" at 25 yards, less at closer range. Group size is what I consider to be acceptable.

Then I believe that you are simply having trigger finger placement/minor trigger control issues.
Do you have the same POI when shooting one-handed?
Work on feeling the trigger finger sit on the exact face of the trigger, and push that point straight back into the gun.
Dry-fire, ball and dummy, and live.
If dedicated work does not remedy the issue I would just drift the sights and call it good. 3" left at 25yds is not that bad.

Redhat
10-07-11, 10:35
What about tightening the other fingers as you press the trigger? Are you moving only your trigger finger?

Redmanfms
10-07-11, 21:15
Do you have the same POI when shooting one-handed?

Yes.

Not weak-hand though. Weak-hand groups group (looser) right on the bullseye (POA), only ever so slightly high and to the right. I suspect that shift might be caused because I use a 45 degree cant, but I'm not concerned at all by it because I'm landing them effectively POA in acceptable groups.

Work on feeling the trigger finger sit on the exact face of the trigger, and push that point straight back into the gun.
Dry-fire, ball and dummy, and live.
If dedicated work does not remedy the issue I would just drift the sights and call it good. 3" left at 25yds is not that bad.

I've never done dry fire exercises, but it is about time I start if I'm going to get serious again. This problem developed because of lack of practice with handguns, proving unequivocally that shooting isn't like riding a bike. It's a (quickly) perishable skill that needs constant practice to maintain. I'm paying the price for my complacency and shifted priorities.

silvery37
10-08-11, 10:40
If you are doing it with all of the pistols you shoot it is probably you. Those charts are good but I really believe that for most people the problem is anticipation. The chart is showing you what way you are anticipating. Too much or too little trigger finger doesnt matter, if you pull the trigger without disturbing the sights the bullet will go exactly where the sights are pointed (assuming they are zeroed).

The easiest way to diagnose your problem is the ball and dummy drill. Get some snap caps or other dummy rounds. Have a friend load 4-5 mixed in with 10 or so live rounds if your mag will hold that many. When you fire the pistol you will see if you are anticipating when you get to the dummy round.

You could also be tightening the grip on your left hand as you fire, pulling the gun left. I do this a little. Again it is in anticipation of firing the weapon.