PDA

View Full Version : 30mm mount that will ork for AR and bolt gun?

mkmckinley
10-06-11, 04:37
I'm picking up a Premier Light Tactical from CS Tactical and I'm trying to ficure out the best way to mount the sucker. I'd like a -20MOA 1-piece quick release mount that I can use on my 18" Noveske and then be able to detach, mount on a Remington 700, rezero and shoot. I don't know much about mounts and I'm not sure if this is even possible. Hell, maybe I'd be better off with standard rings. I'm hoping someone here with more experience can help me out.

shootist~
10-06-11, 11:01
Ring heights (for proper cheek wield) are usually "Low" (< 1" from top of rail to center of scope) for a bolt gun, to Extra High (~1.5", but somewhat lower will work) for an A/R.

The A/R usually needs a forward mound as well, so standard rings may not get you the eye relief needed.

A possible solution might be to use an extended riser on your flattop A/R - that way a standard set of rings could be used on both guns.

Belmont31R
10-06-11, 11:26
The above would be your best bet.

If you got a 3/8" riser you could mount rings that AR 1-1.2" in height, and give you a decent cheek weld with the AR which needs to be approx 1.5" above rail for most shooters. A bolt gun needs to be about 1" depending on setup. Even if 1.2" rings turn out to be a little high on the bolt gun you can add something like a stock pouch with a pad on which a lot of people do anyways to hold notes, spare ammo, ect.

If you attempt to mount a standard 1.5" tall AR specific mount on a bolt gun its likely going to be way too high to be comfortable with a standard stock, and put the scope too far forward. Just rings on an AR usually puts the scope too far back.

With the rings I make sure you have a quality torque wrench to make sure you are tightening them down to the same specs each time. Im not so sure it would be a good idea to repeatedly switch between guns, though.