PDA

View Full Version : Best AR Comparison... All Things Relative

Evergreen
10-07-11, 01:19
Hi, I need some more posts on M4 Carbine forum, so I thought up one that is a very pressing issue for me. I figured the best place to ask a question related to M4s and their quality would be a forum dedicated specifically to the platform.

Tonight, I sold my Rock River AR-15, which is a decent rifle, but obviously quite inferior to many of the high quality ARs on the market.

I am wondering, in people's honest opinion, which would be the best AR, considering all factors, such as components, mil-spec, price, add-ons, ergonomics, etc. As of now, I only own a LMT MRP CQB 16 which I really love, but I know with the loss of the RRA and my LR-308 (which I will soon sell), I want to add another member to my AR family.

I've been considering shorter-barrel 308s with light 308 loads (for faster follow-up shots) or maybe entering the weird, wacky world of 6.8 caliber. Not being a reloader, that caliber may not be cost-efficient and I think shooting heavier grain 5.56 rounds or lighter grain .308 rounds may be the best bet.

There are a few brands of ARs I have heard decent reviews about, but I like people's opinions. I am going to list some of manufacturers I know are more well-renown and known for their quality. If anyone has any other manufacturers they like to chime in about, I would be happy to hear about them.

As for me, I would like a rifle that offers the versality of shooting at close range (25 yards) but also out farther with some benchrest shooting , hopefully that can group at farther ranges (like 300 yards).

So, here is the list and I like people's honest opinions of which brands they prefer. Also, if anyone has a preference of caliber in specific models, one over another, I'd be interested to hear that too..

Brave Company (BCM)
Lewis Machine & Tool (LMT)
Noveske
Daniel Defense
Colt (LE 69xx series)
LaRue Tactical
CMMG
LWRC
S&W M&P 15 (Yeah I think it would be inferior, but like to hear people's views)

Iraqgunz
10-07-11, 01:25
Are you aware how many times this has been asked? You do realize that you are going to receive so many responses that you won't be able to make up your mind.

Have you bothered to take any time and read through this website at all?

Belmont31R
10-07-11, 01:42
I agree with asking broad questions you will get tons of responses. When people ask broad questions you will get tons of responses with people chiming in recomending the brand they own and "its been good for me" type responses.

To remain objective Ill just say 300 yards is well within the 5.56 realm of getting great accuracy, and you don't need to go to another caliber with added expense and size to shoot 300 yards. Lots of prairie dog shooters use 223/556 at those ranges, lots of competition shooters use that round well past 300 yards. With the low cost of quality 223/556 ammunition and even reloading components its not really wise to "aim higher" for those ranges. Now if you were talking 500+ with ranges out to 1k that would be a different story...but...

As far as brands do some reading on here, and you'll find there is a baseline standard most of here strive for. There are lots of manufactures these days none of which you cannot go wrong with. Just make sure the core of the weapon is solid with a mil-spec BCG assembly, quality CH, quality lower with LPK, don't buy junk stocks like CAA, make sure the things like recoil springs are not 3rd world junk (Colt and BCM make good ones), don't buy junk optics (your gun is only as good as the optics that are on it), get proficient training in whatever genre you are looking to explore, you pay for what you get for, and last but not least read some more. If you see a members build in the pic thread don't be afraid to PM them and ask questions. There are plenty of brands you cannot go wrong with. Don't think you need to go all out right off the bat as most people, even those with years of expansive experience, change things out as they see a flaw through use and training.

Sid Post
10-07-11, 05:59
Pretty broad question ... How about an SBR in 6.5G/6.8SPC/300AAC Blackout? Lightweight, fast follow up shots, range to 300+ yards.

duece71
10-07-11, 06:18
Orange search button will start you off with......Colt, Daniel Defense, LMT, Noveske, KAC, BCM.........
You will also find some excellent info on BM, Oly, DPMS, RRA.
Enjoy. :D

Whootsinator
10-07-11, 06:35
Are you aware how many times this has been asked? You do realize that you are going to receive so many responses that you won't be able to make up your mind.

Have you bothered to take any time and read through this website at all?

If you ask me, yours, being the first, should have been the only response this thread gets.

JSantoro
10-07-11, 08:36
Evergreen, at the top of both this subforum and the AR Technical subforum, you will stickied threads, including ones called "Knowledge Based Threads." Happy reading.

Make use of the Search buttons, because any question you subsequently ask has probably been asked before, and therefore does not require it's own, new thread.

Unaddressed questions, however, rate individual scrutiny.