PDA

View Full Version : What is your experience with RIS II Rail?

brzusa.1911
10-07-11, 10:13
I am getting a 12" RIS II with a 16" DD upper. What are your thoughts on this rail? Compared with the Omega X and/or Lite?

MacGyver
10-07-11, 11:13
I have 2 DD Lite rails and 1 12" RIS II on my rifles. I prefer the RIS II for two main reasons. The first is the positioning of the bottom rail, it sits closer to the barrel than on the Lite series, making the hand guard feel slimmer in my hand. I use Tangodown textured panels and no VFG of any kind so this might not pertain to you if you go with a different setup. The second reason is that the bottom rail comes off, which is huge for cleaning purposes. It is an absolute pain in the ass trying to clean something inside of a single piece free floating rail such as the DD Lite rail. When the rifle gets very dusty/rained on the RIS II simplifies cleaning a great deal.

Those are the two major differences that are immediately apparent between the two rails, everything else I would consider relatively minor. I have no experience with Omega rails.

brzusa.1911
10-07-11, 11:21
Thanks, I have the Omega X 12" rail, have seen the Lite 12" but decided on the Omega X exactly for cleaning reason you mentioned. Very good information, thanks again!

JSGlock34
10-07-11, 17:21
I have a MK18 RIS II. It mounts rock solid and the hand guard is very slim. So far, I like it plenty, though I don't understand why DD doesn't add built in QD sockets to all of their rails.