PDA

View Full Version : Positions

TomD
11-16-07, 14:33
OK, I am as of now no longer a 'lurker'. In the continuing search for new, more, better training, I have a few questions: what is the American sling position? African?. What are the urban, SBU and supine prone positions?

Seems the more you learn, the less you know (or something like that!)

Thanks in advance for your sage advice.

TomD

markm
11-16-07, 14:59
American is simply slung over your shoulder, barrel up, mag well pointed forward... like a back pack or something... Much like you'd see a hunter carrying a deer rifle.

African is the same way, but barrel pointed DOWN... buttstock up. It's a good way to quickly stow your rifle if you have a 2 point sling.

TomD
11-16-07, 15:06
Sheesh! The way I usually carry my rifles & I thought I was going to learn some super Ninja stuff.

Demegod...do you know what the mentioned prone positions are?

TomD
11-16-07, 15:10
Sheesh! The way I usually carry my rifles & I thought I was going to learn some super Ninja stuff.

Demigod...do you know what the mentioned prone positions are? And thanks for the speedy reply

markm
11-16-07, 15:10
I think SUPINE is laying on your back... as though you'd been knocked from your feet, and have to return fire between your knees before getting up.

As far as the others, I'm sure I've been taught them, but not under those names. Someone else will have to chime in on them.

subzero
11-16-07, 15:25
Tiger McKee has an interesting article laying out a number of fighting positions in the April 06 SWAT magazine.

Supine is, as previously stated, lying on one's back. Rollover prone usually refers to laying on one's side. This provides a shooting platform low enough to shoot under cars. I believe I have heard this referred to as urban prone before, but I'm not sure. I'm no instructor. I am not familiar with SBU (supposedly "Seal Boat Unit") prone, at least not by that name.

Google turned up a link:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shooter2_indy/detc_carbine.html

Wayne Dobbs
11-16-07, 16:15
Urban prone: body on the deck (belly down); carbine oriented 90 degrees to support side (body is parallel to the firing line); carbine is held with ejection port facing down (if the shooter is right handed)

SBU prone: body on the deck (belly down); same overall orientation except the carbine is "cradled" towards the shooter, ejection port up (if right handed)

The purposes of each are to provide a maximum cover use shooting position for working underneath vehicles or other low cover positions.

Treehopr
11-16-07, 19:30
Urban prone: body on the deck (belly down); carbine oriented 90 degrees to support side (body is parallel to the firing line); carbine is held with ejection port facing down (if the shooter is right handed)

SBU prone: body on the deck (belly down); same overall orientation except the carbine is "cradled" towards the shooter, ejection port up (if right handed)

The purposes of each are to provide a maximum cover use shooting position for working underneath vehicles or other low cover positions.

What Wayne said; I would only add that for Urban Prone your firing side elbow is underneath your body whereas with SBU (Special Boat Unit) prone your firing side elbow is out from under you and away from your body. Use of sights is slightly different as SBU prone has the sight(s) between the shooter and boreline and Urban Prone has boreline between shooter and sight(s). Sounds more complicated than it actually is.

Imagine shooting from under a vehicle for Urban and SBU prone, imagine shooting from behind a curb for supine prone.

Pat Rogers covers these asymmetrical prone positions in his carbine classes.

markm
11-17-07, 07:58
While we're talking positions...

How about RICE PADDY PRONE? That's a good, fast way to get somewhat low and still retain good mobility.

Kinda squat down like you're taking a dump on the ground with your feet pointed out a little. Feet slighty farther apart than your shoulders. Squat and put your elbows on the inside of your knees.