PDA

View Full Version : ADCO or Someone Else to Cut Down a Precision Barrel?

saddlerocker
10-07-11, 11:59
I know ADCO is great for cutting down AR barrels and other work, but would you feel comfortable having them cut down and re-crown your bolt action?
They are inexpensive and seem to do good work on ARs at least.

I ask because im looking to buy a new bolt action and cant find exactly what I want, so im considering buying a rifle with a longer barrel than I want and having ADCO cut, re-crown and parkerize the barrel

zenghost
10-07-11, 12:42
For what it is worth, I'd also consider Mark Gordon at Short Action Custom in Wellington Ohio. I've found his reputation to be stellar in the precision rifle world. I am sending my TRG-22 there to be cut and threaded. He is also handling the transfer of a TBAC 30P-1 suppressor for me.

http://shortactioncustoms.com/

I've heard good about ADCO as well, but have not used them for work.

crossgun
10-08-11, 07:52
Another bump for Short Action Customs and Mark Gordon

To be honest I would not send my bolt gun to ADCO

Eurodriver
10-08-11, 09:02
Another bump for Short Action Customs and Mark Gordon

To be honest I would not send my bolt gun to ADCO

http://i53.tinypic.com/2a68369.jpg

I had ADCO cut down my 26" Rem 700P to 20" and thread 5/8x24.

To be honest, I was disappointed, and I have used ADCO multiple times for many different AR builds.

It took me an entire day to thread my flash hider (SE Vortex) on to the barrel. The threads were definitely 5/8x24 but something was out of spec. Email replies from ADCO were to the effect of "Our threads are tight, you may need to just twist harder" :rolleyes:

I was literally sweating, using a breaker bar to thread the FH on. It was not the FH either, as I tried two different brands of 5/8x24 muzzle devices.

In the end, it turned out alright. The FH "tapped" the muzzle threads and they are now in spec but I was very disappointed with what I had to go through. I had originally planned on turning this rifle into a suppressed platform, but I think I will buy a new barrel when this wears out as I do not trust the threads for mounting a suppressor.

To be honest, I am not sure I would be able to get the flash hider off the barrel without breaking something.

signal4l
10-08-11, 09:22
contact Joeseph Barnsfather at http://www.superiorfirearmsllc.com/

elnino31
10-08-11, 16:06
I had ADCO cut down my 26" Rem 700P to 20" and thread 5/8x24.

To be honest, I was disappointed, and I have used ADCO multiple times for many different AR builds.

It took me an entire day to thread my flash hider (SE Vortex) on to the barrel. The threads were definitely 5/8x24 but something was out of spec. Email replies from ADCO were to the effect of "Our threads are tight, you may need to just twist harder" :rolleyes:

I was literally sweating, using a breaker bar to thread the FH on. It was not the FH either, as I tried two different brands of 5/8x24 muzzle devices.

In the end, it turned out alright. The FH "tapped" the muzzle threads and they are now in spec but I was very disappointed with what I had to go through. I had originally planned on turning this rifle into a suppressed platform, but I think I will buy a new barrel when this wears out as I do not trust the threads for mounting a suppressor.

To be honest, I am not sure I would be able to get the flash hider off the barrel without breaking something.

That's dissapointing to hear. He's threaded an AR barrel for me before, and I've been thinking about having him thread an SPR barrel.
Maybe I should rethink this.

Vash1023
10-09-11, 20:19
ive used adco many times and have never had any problems

JohnnyC
10-09-11, 20:32
Tornado Technologies does excellent work. That being said, you might have a long wait. He's backlogged because he does fantastic work. I don't think I've heard a single case of anyone being disappointed, and he does any thread you ask for.

saddlerocker
10-09-11, 20:50
Thanks for the replies, still not sure what I wanna do though.

ill check out some of the references

CC556
10-10-11, 08:42
Are there no competent gunsmiths in your area? Cutting and threading a barrel isn't rocket science, and you sure don't have to send it off to someone across the country to do it.

markm
10-10-11, 09:06
Are there no competent gunsmiths in your area? Cutting and threading a barrel isn't rocket science, and you sure don't have to send it off to someone across the country to do it.

Yeah. There's usually a good bolt gun guru in most cities.

Rob96
10-10-11, 15:49
Precision Armaments in Slatington, PA. I just had a 700 ADL Varmint cut back to 20" with a recessed crown. Turned out great! Groups went from .65moa to .55moa.