PDA

View Full Version : Aim Prvi for $1k/3k+/-

rob_s
11-16-07, 14:58
I just ordered some. Not sure if it's the best price going or not, but it ain't totally horrible and they're a known company to deal with.

slamb750
11-16-07, 22:15
In my opinion the stuff is junk. Would not group worth a damn out of my RRA a4 varmint with a 18 inch rifle.

IrishDevil
11-16-07, 23:07
I've used a good bit of the 55 and 75 gr. Ran very well in my rifles, never shot it for groups, but it's comparable to most other brands I've used.

rob_s
11-17-07, 08:22
In my opinion the stuff is junk. Would not group worth a damn out of my RRA a4 varmint with a 18 inch rifle.

Interesting. It grouped no better or worse than any others for me, and the below is out of an 11.5" .625" diameter barrel at 50 yards (mostly unsupported)
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/IMG_1617Small.jpg

BushmasterFanBoy
11-19-07, 17:51
Interesting. It grouped no better or worse than any others for me, and the below is out of an 11.5" .625" diameter barrel at 50 yards (mostly unsupported)
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/IMG_1617Small.jpg

The original poster stated that he was using an 18inch varmint rifle. I'll go ahead and take a plunge here and assume that he was shooting the weapon rested along with a high power scope. Conditions like these are conducive to good accuracy and are an excellent way to test ammunition.

You were shooting mostly unsupported with an ACOG (Assuming here again, but I would bet I'm right). Judging by the the fact that "It grouped no better or worse than any others for me", should indicate that you are not achieving the maximum accuracy from the weapon and ammunition. If you had the weapon rested and removed as many variables as you possible could, you would most likely see a difference in group sizes between the different types of ammunition. Black Hills is famous for producing reasonably accurate ammunition, and to see it group nearly identically to Wolf is one indication that ideal shooting conditions for judging accuracy were not met.

I think if anything can be drawn from your post it is that the Privi ammunition will shoot well enough for what I like to call "realistic carbine use". For me, that's what I would be using it for, but it's important to understand that there are other shooters out there who are doing different jobs with their weapons.

Shihan
11-19-07, 19:10
As long as the Privy has the 2007 headstamp it is good to go and you can expect it to be accurate as anmy other M193 out there.

rob_s
11-19-07, 19:29
The original poster stated that he was using an 18inch varmint rifle. I'll go ahead and take a plunge here and assume that he was shooting the weapon rested along with a high power scope. Conditions like these are conducive to good accuracy and are an excellent way to test ammunition.

You were shooting mostly unsupported with an ACOG (Assuming here again, but I would bet I'm right). Judging by the the fact that "It grouped no better or worse than any others for me", should indicate that you are not achieving the maximum accuracy from the weapon and ammunition. If you had the weapon rested and removed as many variables as you possible could, you would most likely see a difference in group sizes between the different types of ammunition. Black Hills is famous for producing reasonably accurate ammunition, and to see it group nearly identically to Wolf is one indication that ideal shooting conditions for judging accuracy were not met.

I think if anything can be drawn from your post it is that the Privi ammunition will shoot well enough for what I like to call "realistic carbine use". For me, that's what I would be using it for, but it's important to understand that there are other shooters out there who are doing different jobs with their weapons.
No, it's important for people to not try to make silk out of a sow's ear.

Prvi is intended to be XM193 quality. From the picture I posted, all rounds were fired from the same wobbly-ass table at the local range, and all grouped about the same. So, for the intended quality it performed just fine. If someone shot it through a precision rifle and expected match-grade accuracy, it is the shooter that failed (to understand the intent of the ammo) not the ammo.

Next time will be prone with a bipod and 3-9x optic so we can hopefully end this whole "reading too much into pictures" nonsense.

jmart
11-19-07, 20:09
No, it's important for people to not try to make silk out of a sow's ear.

Prvi is intended to be XM193 quality. From the picture I posted, all rounds were fired from the same wobbly-ass table at the local range, and all grouped about the same. So, for the intended quality it performed just fine. If someone shot it through a precision rifle and expected match-grade accuracy, it is the shooter that failed (to understand the intent of the ammo) not the ammo.

Next time will be prone with a bipod and 3-9x optic so we can hopefully end this whole "reading too much into pictures" nonsense.

After running this through Babbelfish, this is what came out.......

I SUCK!;) ;) ;)

If it's any consolation, I suck too.:D

Lumpy196
11-19-07, 20:09

Its not intended as a match or varmint load. :rolleyes:

BushmasterFanBoy
11-20-07, 04:46
Its not intended as a match or varmint load. :rolleyes:
I think that's what Rob was saying when he posted his data.

Sometimes we are quick to ignore or attack anything out of our little "M4Carbine.net group of guys".
But we all need to remember that there are other people out there who are not using their AR15s for tactical training. The people who are using their weapon for long range accuracy or for any type of work which requires absolute maximum accuracy, should not use this load. We shouldn't be so fast to discredit a guy who comes in with his experience, after all it's just as valuable as ours.

Now for the majority of us on this site the stuff works great for carbine use. I do not do any type of accuracy shooting out of my ARs so this would be fine for me. I can't use any of my weapons to the point where the ammunition is the limiting factor, and with a red dot carbine, I doubt too many others can either.

rob_s
11-20-07, 05:13
We shouldn't be so fast to discredit a guy who comes in with his experience, after all it's just as valuable as ours.

Frankly, if what he was saying was that he was trying to use Prvi to shoot one-hole groups at 100 yards, he kind of discredited himself. ;)

Bolt_Overide
11-21-07, 00:43
anyone whos trying to test 193 for match grade accuracy out of a RRA...

yah im going to put a lot of stock in that persons opinion.

Thanks for the heads up rob, I may order some myself.

jmart
11-21-07, 08:37
If you had the weapon rested and removed as many variables as you possible could, you would most likely see a difference in group sizes between the different types of ammunition. Black Hills is famous for producing reasonably accurate ammunition, and to see it group nearly identically to Wolf is one indication that ideal shooting conditions for judging accuracy were not met.

Maybe folks should re-read what he posted. I don't see anyplace where he's suggetsing Prvi is match-grade ammo.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Wayne Dobbs
11-21-07, 10:16
Hey Rob,

To get back to your original intent on this: who is the source on this so we can order some?

Thanks for the blasting/training ammo info and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Wayne

rob_s
11-21-07, 10:21
Hey Rob,

To get back to your original intent on this: who is the source on this so we can order some?

Thanks for the blasting/training ammo info and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Wayne
Sorry, when I said "Aim" I meant www.aimsurplus.com

Akoni
11-21-07, 10:51
What outdoor range were you shooting that SBR at?

rob_s
11-21-07, 11:16
What outdoor range were you shooting that SBR at?

That's the Palm Beach County Sherriff's range I was telling you about the other day. It's open to the public one to two weekends out of every month. Dates for the upcoming year can be found here (http://floridashootersnetwork.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=26475).

Joe Mamma
11-21-07, 17:39

Rigfht now, it's a little cheaper at Widener's. But, I have no idea what shipping is like.

$66.00 / 200RND CLEAR PLASTIC PACK
$320/1000 rd.
Buy 2 cases = $315/1000

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=7169

Joe Mamma

KDG
11-22-07, 18:33
Wideners was 7.95 shipping to Pa.

They only list a little over 2000 rounds left when I ordered.

Joe Mamma
11-23-07, 08:13
Wideners was 7.95 shipping to Pa.

They only list a little over 2000 rounds left when I ordered.

I could be wrong but, I don't think that's individual rounds. I think that's number of boxes or in this case, number of battle packs (of 200 rounds).

Joe Mamma

Armati
12-01-07, 20:43

At .33 cents a round for 62gr it is more than acceptable for training ammunition.

WS6
12-02-07, 03:50
From what I know it uses a somewhat light charge and the powder is not ball but rather some shot rod-like powder. It has caused short-stroking in weapons that AE and Q3131 ran fine it (albeit the reviewer said it was a dirty rifle, but still, it ran 100% with the others and short-stroked 4/5 with the Wolf ammo).

This is heresay from AR15.com ammunition reviews.

Alpha Sierra
12-02-07, 10:36
I burned about 300 of them during a carbine class last August. No issues at all. The balance of ammo for that class was RG.

Good buy, IMO.

Shihan
12-02-07, 13:17
From what I know it uses a somewhat light charge and the powder is not ball but rather some shot rod-like powder. It has caused short-stroking in weapons that AE and Q3131 ran fine it (albeit the reviewer said it was a dirty rifle, but still, it ran 100% with the others and short-stroked 4/5 with the Wolf ammo).

This is heresay from AR15.com ammunition reviews.

There are no problems with the 2007 headstamped stuff. Some of the older stuff was set up for bolt guns IIRC.

WS6
12-08-07, 00:47
Awesome. I am very interested in getting some now. How does it compare to Q3131 (2007 is what I bought)? Mainly in cleanlyness (I like the Q3131 I have because it does not smell acrid like the '07 M855 WCC I have, which burns the eyes a bit and is smokey compared to other .223/5.56 I have shot)?

Anyone Chrony the '07 load? (from a 20" barrel would be nice, but any chrony info would be great!)

If someone had 500 rounds of 07 headstamped Q3131 or the same amount of Privi '07 headstamp for the same price, which would YOU buy?