PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense Question

concan
10-07-11, 16:57
Good evening folks. I lurk on this site daily. Finally have to ask a question. I am pretty much sold on a Daniel Defense M4 V2 as my first AR. There is a place within an hour drive that has them for 1317.00 + Tax @ 8.25%. Looking at shipping cost plus the cost of a permit holder to receive and transfer I figure I can cut cost of dealer by about 60 bucks. Any recommendations on a good dealer to buy from. Not in a hurry but being retired to fixed income and suffering from breaubama's daily threatened cuts to us older folks just want to get the best deal I can. Any help is much appreciated.

OIPactual
10-07-11, 17:46
1317.00 is a solid price, im a dealer in MI, sounds like a good choice and a good deal to me.

totenkopf_u64
10-07-11, 17:53
Can't help you with a dealer. I hate to do this now that you have decided on the DD rifle, but if you're interested in saving some money, why don't you buy a less expensive rifle?

... What is breaubama?

devicemanager
10-07-11, 18:08
Why not ask your local dealer if he can drop the price a bit to save you from ordering elsewhere?

DeltaSierra
10-07-11, 18:11
Can't help you with a dealer. I hate to do this now that you have decided on the DD rifle, but if you're interested in saving some money, why don't you buy a less expensive rifle?

Perhaps because he doesn't want to compromise on quality??

To the OP:

The price is fairly normal, and you can't do much better than that unless you have a really nice dealer in your area.

ralph
10-07-11, 18:12
That's a excellant rifle and probably not a bad price considering everything that comes with it. Looks like about all you'll need is a good sling, and of course, about 10-12 P-mags. That should get you started,Maybe take a carbine course if funds permit. I hear you about age..I'm 57, I hoping to retire in about 3 yrs, I've set my rifle up the way I want it now,while I'm still working..Don't know if I'd be able to afford it after I retire..So, I figure I'll stock up now..

drck1000
10-07-11, 18:46
Sounds like the pricing you have is pretty good.

I have a DDM4 V5 that I purchased recently for just under $1300 before sales tax. Another local shop was selling them for around the same price (slightly less, like $20), but would've had to bring it in special order. In my case, I wanted to be able to see it in person, so I went with the shop that had one in stock.

I think the list price for the V5 are a little lower than the V2 and V3, but since I live in Hawaii, everything is a little more expensive. Most local shops don't do FFL transfers and those that do charge anywhere form 8% to a flat $80.

totenkopf_u64
10-07-11, 19:01
Perhaps because he doesn't want to compromise on quality??

I would argue that the difference in quality between Colt, BCM, or DD is largely academic. However, the price wouldn't be that much less after a nice rail.

In any case, best of luck to you, concan!

jd1123
10-10-11, 20:32
Good evening folks. I lurk on this site daily. Finally have to ask a question. I am pretty much sold on a Daniel Defense M4 V2 as my first AR. There is a place within an hour drive that has them for 1317.00 + Tax @ 8.25%. Looking at shipping cost plus the cost of a permit holder to receive and transfer I figure I can cut cost of dealer by about 60 bucks. Any recommendations on a good dealer to buy from. Not in a hurry but being retired to fixed income and suffering from breaubama's daily threatened cuts to us older folks just want to get the best deal I can. Any help is much appreciated.

Concan,

You can do better. There are plenty of online dealers that have better prices and you don't have to pay sales tax. Depending on FFL fees, you should be able to do better by about at least $100. Depending where you live and FFL fees, you should be able to save a few bucks. IF you're not set on the V2, Bud's gun shop also has good deals on DD rifles with free shipping. Riflegear also has good deals on DD rifles. I've used Bud's (great experience) but not Riflegear.

BountyXP
10-11-11, 02:38
Concan,

You can do better. There are plenty of online dealers that have better prices and you don't have to pay sales tax. Depending on FFL fees, you should be able to do better by about at least $100. Depending where you live and FFL fees, you should be able to save a few bucks. IF you're not set on the V2, Bud's gun shop also has good deals on DD rifles with free shipping. Riflegear also has good deals on DD rifles. I've used Bud's (great experience) but not Riflegear.

Agreed...

J8127
10-11-11, 03:40
OP

I think mine was high 1200s.

I love it, but I wish I would have gotten the v1, and DD just started advertising a v1 Lightweight that I think I'm gonna have to buy.

incognito
10-11-11, 04:23
$1300 for a V2 is an ok, but not great price. $1200 or so can be found at some of the online shops, such as Bud's which was recommended already.

ASH556
10-11-11, 10:11
Yeah, good. Go buy online and save $60. And don't complain when you don't have a decent local shop to guy buy anything from or get service from.

Seriously? $60 is well worth the investment in a relationship with a dealer that knows enough to be stocking Daniel Defense.

Iraqgunz
10-11-11, 11:10
He is well within his rights to purchase online rather than a dealer. I do it for most everything, ammo, parts, etc..

I can't see paying some of the ridiculous mark ups I have seen in the stores.

Yeah, good. Go buy online and save $60. And don't complain when you don't have a decent local shop to guy buy anything from or get service from.

Seriously? $60 is well worth the investment in a relationship with a dealer that knows enough to be stocking Daniel Defense.

Greg Kulbick
10-11-11, 11:21
I list it at $1234, but I'm just a scummy online retailer trying to put all the local shops out of business by not catering to the people who want to be able to hold a certain firearm in their hands before dropping several hundred dollars on it, all while working full time and taking classes. Not only do you not get to feel anything we sell, you have to wait an extra two or three days so we can get it from our distributor.

Each side has its plusses and minuses, and we lose business to local shops, just like they lose business to us. They get the locals who want to hold the gun they're about to buy, we get the people who already know exactly what they want and are simply price shopping.

ASH556
10-11-11, 11:32
Yeah, I buy online too, but by the time you pay transfer and shipping fees on that $1234, the difference isn't that big and you've made a local relationship.

I will confess I'm probably a little biased and touchy on the subject after working in a shop for 7 years trying to stock/sell quality gear from KAC, DD, Colt, in addition to FN, Sig, Benelli, etc.

It costs money to put high-end inventory on the shelf, and nothing in the world is worse than some jackass, fingerbanging every high end gun in the store, and then coming back a week later to pickup his transfer while he brags about the $50 he saved over your price. Not to mention his expectation that you install his rail/light/scope (that he also bought online) gratis, because after all, he did just pay you a $40 transfer fee.

And then, heaven forbid he actually shoot the gun in your range and experience a malfunction. Now all of a sudden it's your job to fix and help support the purchase he made elsewhere because, "well aren't you a ____________ dealer?" :suicide:

Again, nothing wrong with online dealers, but if the difference is only a few bucks, support the local guy. It'll serve you better in the long run.

shua713
10-11-11, 11:36
I purchased a DD M4V3 from gunforall.com. it cost me 1250 shipped and that includes the 4% credit card fee. They are worth checking out.

GG Asian
10-11-11, 15:18
I know Rainier Arms will beat the price of whatever's out there. Just have to email them the link and ask. :)
Their customer service is top notch also.

OIPactual
10-11-11, 21:52
Yeah, I buy online too, but by the time you pay transfer and shipping fees on that $1234, the difference isn't that big and you've made a local relationship.

I will confess I'm probably a little biased and touchy on the subject after working in a shop for 7 years trying to stock/sell quality gear from KAC, DD, Colt, in addition to FN, Sig, Benelli, etc.

It costs money to put high-end inventory on the shelf, and nothing in the world is worse than some jackass, fingerbanging every high end gun in the store, and then coming back a week later to pickup his transfer while he brags about the $50 he saved over your price. Not to mention his expectation that you install his rail/light/scope (that he also bought online) gratis, because after all, he did just pay you a $40 transfer fee.

And then, heaven forbid he actually shoot the gun in your range and experience a malfunction. Now all of a sudden it's your job to fix and help support the purchase he made elsewhere because, "well aren't you a ____________ dealer?" :suicide:

Again, nothing wrong with online dealers, but if the difference is only a few bucks, support the local guy. It'll serve you better in the long run.

:agree:i know exactly what you are saying, happens all the time. im all for online shopping, i do it all the time, but when i have a problem i wont go ask someone who i didnt buy the item from for help. thats like calling verizon for cs on a at&t phone.

leibermuster
10-11-11, 23:33

I couldn't agree more...when you have a dealer bringing the brand in you want, you should generally speaking support that store. A store has over head expenses and gives direct one on one service. Nothing wrong about being online but trying to save $50.... "if that" and the time spent researching on the "Internets" for a better deal is Foley. If you are that concerned over $50 go cut a few lawns in the neighborhood or skip a meal or too, your body can always use the exercise.:)

Greg Kulbick
10-12-11, 09:37

I understand your position. When I started RA, it was partially in response to local prices here, as there was only one real gun store, that had outrageous prices, because they knew people would pay them. A lot of times we lose out to other online retailers for local sales because of sales tax. Tacking 6-9% on the price of a nice gun can really add up. We may not have a store front, but we're not just a online retailer. We're heavily involved in the local shooting community via the Tallahassee forum, holding suppressor shoots, being involved with other organized shoots and training as well. I guess we're kind of in the middle somewhere...

hals1
10-12-11, 09:58
If you are retired military and live near a BX with a gun counter, they can get Daniel Defense. As a matter of fact they have had V3s in stock here.

concan
10-13-11, 12:27
Many THANKS to all of you that took the time to respond to my post. Most all were very helpful.

BOOMER72
10-13-11, 18:47
Check out Rifle gear. i purchased mine from them and my favorite shop was fine w/ it. they just couldnt touch the price. Then again i bought 3 pistols this year alone from them,so they are still getting 95% of my guns & ammo :D budget anyway.