PDA

View Full Version : YAY! for RRA.....

Animal_Mother556
10-07-11, 18:46
A local LE buddy of mine came to me the other day and wanted to know if I could help him place a single-point sling adapter on his department issued RRA carbine. "Sure, man. Shouldn't take long at all."

Long story short (too late) the castle nut is not staked...but RED loctited ("loctited" a word?...nevermind). I can't even fathom how colossally retarded this is. So, through my investigation, I found that you have to use a heat gun or torch to make the loctite pliable again.

My question is...Should I go ahead and detail strip the lower?

Also I am thinking of maybe placing soaking wet towels around the buffer tube and lower to keep them from sucking up so much of the heat. Necessary??

Thanks, guys. Friggin RRA.....

seb5
10-07-11, 18:49
With our department issued Bushmasters I usually take off the upper and pull the spring and buffer. I used to remove the grip but don't anymore. I've never damaged one. A propane torch for about 10-15 seconds usually does the trick.

BCmJUnKie
10-07-11, 19:05
I wouldnt expect anything less from them.

I had a friend recently tell me he placed an order.

Through some strategic wording, he ended up cancelling his order that day lol

Iraqgunz
10-08-11, 02:09
You shouldn't need to apply much heat. I have often used a small pen torch to heat the nut and break it loose. Make sure that everything is locked in an ready so once you have it warmed up, you can slip the wrench on and break it loose.

I do recommend using a Hammerhead though as they engage all 4 lugs.

A local LE buddy of mine came to me the other day and wanted to know if I could help him place a single-point sling adapter on his department issued RRA carbine. "Sure, man. Shouldn't take long at all."

Long story short (too late) the castle nut is not staked...but RED loctited ("loctited" a word?...nevermind). I can't even fathom how colossally retarded this is. So, through my investigation, I found that you have to use a heat gun or torch to make the loctite pliable again.

My question is...Should I go ahead and detail strip the lower?

Also I am thinking of maybe placing soaking wet towels around the buffer tube and lower to keep them from sucking up so much of the heat. Necessary??

Thanks, guys. Friggin RRA.....

ryr8828
10-08-11, 05:18
On my bushmaster I heated it for quite a while with a heat gun, then had to lay it down on the carpet, stand on it, and knock the castle nut loose with a big punch and hammer.

Quiet-Matt
10-08-11, 07:07
I'd suggest also (I learned the hard way with a RRA RE) that you leave the stock on and have someone hold it opposite the direction that you loosen the castle nut. This will help prevent the likely thread gouging when the RE turns with the castle nut because of the loctite.

Animal_Mother556
10-08-11, 07:16
Thank you VERY much, gents. I hope all goes well