PDA

View Full Version : The CMMG bargain bin order Finale(sort of) w/ pics

ricky_arthur
11-16-07, 19:06
Well they finally got here After pulling most of my hair out waiting, the 3 CMMG bargain Bin AR's got here today. I was waiting at the FFL (along with John my buddie, 2 of the Ar's were his and one was mine) when the UPS truck arrived. :D

It started out on a sour note as I opend the box and took out the packaging material and found the 3 rifles but no magazines.:confused: I checked the invoice, it said 5 magazines (I called CMMG and they had forgot to ship them, but said they would be out in todays mail) Then I opened each seperate bag and removed each rifle (John had agreed to let me take my pick) The first thing I noticed of course was the Crisco slathered all over for protection, You can see it in the pics. All 3 Lowers were DPMS:D and try as I might I couldn't find a single dent, ding or scratch on any of them. :D The one with the full length heavy barrel felt a little rough in the action. (at least compared to the other 2) so I took one of the other 2 at random. here are pics of all 3

http://www.hunt101.com/img/526915.JPG (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=526915&c=500&z=1)

http://www.hunt101.com/img/526916.JPG (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=526916&c=500&z=1)

http://www.hunt101.com/img/526917.JPG (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=526917&c=500&z=1)

http://www.hunt101.com/img/526918.JPG (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=526918&c=500&z=1)

The last pic is the one I chose

I took it home and disassembled it. The first thing I noticed was a properly staked carrier key. (let me edit that to, staked carrier key. It doesn't exactly match the pics of the "properly" staked ones) I cleaned all the goop off and re-assembled it. The money I had set aside to buy optics went toward another AR from Coleman Tyler (which should be here tuesday) So I just grabbed a red dot from Wally world and stuck it on to give me something to sight down at the range.

Surprisingly, my wife wanted to come along too so we went to the range. I fired 3 rounds at 25 yards and made an adjustment to the POS scope and then fired 10 rounds semi quick fire. It needs to be noted that the front sight blocked the sight picture cause the red dot was too low and a best guess was all that was possible when sighting. My only purpose on this range trip was to put a few rounds through it anyway. I was shooting the Frangible Ammo from ammoman and this was also a test of the ammo. My group was surprisingly good, roughly 1.5". I moved the target out to 50 yards and ran some more ammo, then let my wife shoot a little. the target was approx. 12" X 10" and every shot we fired except 1 hit paper. .(yes that includes my wifes shots and she has shot a rifle maybe 5 times in her life)
Here is my wife at the bench

http://www.hunt101.com/img/526919.jpg (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=526919&c=500&z=1)

I didn't think to keep the target but this group was maybe 6-7" (is that .5 min of bad guy?) inches across and some of the shots were taken off hand and rapid fire. Keep in mind I wasn't shooting for accuracy cause with the scope I had on it I didn't expect any.

The rifle operated without a hitch, I put 35 rounds through it and called that good till I could put better optics on.
The bargain Bin rifle I got was Much better than I expected.:D The trigger was Much better than I thought it would be too.
I give the CMMG product an A
but still have to give the customer service and shipping dept a D :mad: for forgetting My magazines and for all the other stuff I posted in the threads previous to this one.

My recommendation is that you order one of the Bargain bin Rifles and just hope you don't need any help from CS. You won't be dissapointed with the end result.

Ricky

Ricky

SuicideHz
11-16-07, 19:15
How much? I didn't happen to see you say how much they were...

ricky_arthur
11-16-07, 19:27
How much? I didn't happen to see you say how much they were...

These were the 550$ Bargain bin guns from CMMG

For the rifle, hand pick, 2 magazines and shipping it was right at 600$

TWR
11-16-07, 20:17
What's the tie to DPMS?

ST911
11-16-07, 21:12
Thanks for the info. A few more data points, if you don't mind?

Can you post a pic of the carrier key staking?

Which extractor spring assembly (part. insert) did you get?

From the pics, it looks like the receiver extension nut isn't staked to the end plate. Is that correct?

Are there any markings on your hammer?

Evidence of moly-b at the barrel nut?

Is your bolt carrier shrouded, or open? If open, with the rails, or a simple ramp-cut?

Any markings on your barrel?

Which buffer did you get?

Receiver extension mil or commercial? (Tapered at the rear of flat, if you can't mic it or tell?)

Drain holes at the mag fence? Receiver extension?

Allen or slot head screw in the pistol grip?

ricky_arthur
11-16-07, 21:16
What's the tie to DPMS?

No tie, except that you do not get to choose the Make of the Lower when you buy a Bargain bin rifle. I was just pleased that I got a DPMS over something inferior.

Ricky

Shihan
11-16-07, 21:23
No tie, except that you do not get to choose the Make of the Lower when you buy a Bargain bin rifle. I was just pleased that I got a DPMS over something inferior.

Ricky

DPMS is as low as you can really go.

Failure2Stop
11-17-07, 04:43
I am going to step out on a limb here and make a guess, please correct me as soon as the information is gathered:

I assume that since those are DPMS lowers, the receiver extension will be commercial. I am making this ASSumption due to the fact that DPMS ships with commercial receiver extensions. Of course, if CMMG is buying stripped or semi-complete lowers that changes things.

My quandry- if I place an order for a bargain bin rifle BUT with the request for a lower that usually ships with a mil receiver extension, will it come with one?

Sure, sure, I could call CMMG with my question, but where's the fun in that? :p

ricky_arthur
11-17-07, 05:23
I am going to step out on a limb here and make a guess, please correct me as soon as the information is gathered:

I assume that since those are DPMS lowers, the receiver extension will be commercial. I am making this ASSumption due to the fact that DPMS ships with commercial receiver extensions. Of course, if CMMG is buying stripped or semi-complete lowers that changes things.

My quandry- if I place an order for a bargain bin rifle BUT with the request for a lower that usually ships with a mil receiver extension, will it come with one?

Sure, sure, I could call CMMG with my question, but where's the fun in that? :p

I know for a fact that you cannot request any preferences. You get what you get. If you look at the thread on TOS in the EE you see many ??? about various requests and the answer is always... these are pre-packaged for shipping and besides being able to request a hand select you cannot get any modification or preference.

Yes the reciever extensions are commercial, I think all the above questions can be answered by reminding people that this is a BARGAIN BIN rifle. It's not a colt. For 550$ everything is gonna be about as cheap as you can get. I bought the gun for a truck gun and plinker and for that purpose it should serve me well. If you think you are gonna get a gun that will allow you to join your local S.W.A.T. team in mid raid, you are looking in the wrong direction.:D I live in an area where I have had a gun in my unlocked truck with the keys in the ignition at night almost since I could drive, almost everybody does. My point being that I don't forsee my safety or life depending on this gun, BUT, I'm confident that when i see a coyote trotting along when I'm driving a dirt road, this gun will go bang.

The purpose of my post was simply to let people know that IMO the BB rifles are worth 550$, But 1000$-3000$ guns they are not.

Thank you

"DPMS is as low as you can really go" OUCH:p IMO there are worse, but I forget that on this site if it's not Colt, Noveske, LMT its garbage by definition.:D LOL

Failure2Stop
11-17-07, 05:43
Ricky-

Ha, roger!

Have fun with her.

markm
11-17-07, 07:41
DPMS is as low as you can really go.

I'd try one over OLYMPIC ARMS though.

M4arc
11-17-07, 08:24
DPMS are bargain lowers but they are not the worst out there. For the price you did well Ricky.

I like having a low-budget AR around for plinking, playing, experimenting and letting your buddies shoot.

ST911
11-17-07, 13:11
Double tap.

ST911
11-17-07, 13:13
Yes the reciever extensions are commercial, I think all the above questions can be answered by reminding people that this is a BARGAIN BIN rifle.

Ricky- Thanks for the reply. I asked my questions not to bag on our rifle, but to gather a little information for reference and my curiosity. If you don't want to answer and contribute to the effort, that's fine, just say so. Replying with a snide "garbage by definition" remark is unnecessary.

I agree with M4arc. There are worse lower receivers.

mmike87
11-17-07, 19:24
For that price it looks like you got a good plinker ... it sounds like from what you have written that the rifle's condition exceeded your expectations a bit?

ricky_arthur
11-18-07, 07:26
Ricky- Replying with a snide "garbage by definition" remark is unnecessary.

It was Hardly "snide" The statement was Ironical, I like My DPMS lower and have another on the way.;)

Read the whole statement again, I was poking fun at the whole if it's not colt, it's crap idea.

Also My statement was intended to, in a blanket way addressed most of your questions. Honestly some of them made me go "HUH??" cause the BB rifle is / was my first AR.
By December I'll have 3, this BB one for plinking, a 20 inch SS barrel on a DPMS lower:D which will be here on Tuesday and a custom being made By Mike at D-TECH that should be done next month.

Sorry you were offended

Ricky

ST911
11-18-07, 10:05
It was Hardly "snide" The statement was Ironical, I like My DPMS lower and have another on the way.;) Read the whole statement again, I was poking fun at the whole if it's not colt, it's crap idea.

If I have misunderstood, I apologize.

onmilo
11-19-07, 08:42
The pictures don't show up.
Just the same I have nothing but good luck with DPMS upper and lower receivers.
What barrels came on these rifles?

Spade
11-19-07, 12:56
I have seen these CMMG bargain bin guns at the local gun show & have considered buying one. Last i say they had them in rubbermaid trash cans with the stocks pointing up. But for the price you cant really complain that much. i have see some with DPMS & some Rock Rivers & some others with some various stocks. These nice thing about picking one up at the show is you can look them over pretty good. After you get several rounds through let us know how it does

thanks

stjohnusvi
08-11-10, 21:33
I recently bought a CMMG bargain bin rifle. This was my first M4 type weapon, but not my first AR-15 type. Like many others I'm very pleased with my purchase and whole experience. Here's the actual email I recently sent to Angie (Sales) at CMMG:

Angie,

I received my rifle. I was super impressed with my initial look at the weapon, the speed of the transaction, and the level of communication. I haven't yet had a chance to shoot my rifle; but I anticipate that I will be pleased. My gun dealer also mentioned how nice and professional the CMMG folks were. I had read online from lots of sources about how great of a company CMMG is - I read so many posts, that I was half convinced that it was some scam. I can now say I'm a believer.

Thank you and your company for providing what appears to be a great product at a very fair price. After I've had a chance to shoot my rifle and assuming I'm pleased (which I'm sure I will be) I plan on posting to the internet my experience.

Please also pass my experience with CMMG to your company's president - I'm sure he likes to hear this type of feedback.

Note: I've since shot a few hundred rounds though my CMMG "Bargin Bin" rifle and have experienced no malfunctions of any sort and quite respectable accuracy. BTW, I paid the extra $25 to have the rifle "handpicked". I wasn't able to find any cosmetic blemishes or even mismatch in color.

Popajones
12-25-10, 21:26
I purchased my bargain bin AR for $599 plus tax at a local gun show and am very happy with my purchase. I got the flat top with the chrome lined 16" 1/7 barrel. This is my first AR 15 so I am very much an AR novice. I added a removable carry handle with flip up rear sights,barrel mount tri rail, 300 lumen flashlight and a bi-pod. After going to the local shooting range and dialing it in I was slightly low right and my son slightly high left with sights set the same, thus we decided it must be pretty well dialed in.

My lower is a Double Star, don't know if thats good or bad but I have had no issues, ftf,fte etc.... I would recommend the bargain bin for anybody on an extreme budget as a way into the AR 15 world.

hunter123
12-25-10, 21:44
I purchased my bargain bin AR for $599 plus tax at a local gun show and am very happy with my purchase. I got the flat top with the chrome lined 16" 1/7 barrel. This is my first AR 15 so I am very much an AR novice. I added a removable carry handle with flip up rear sights,barrel mount tri rail, 300 lumen flashlight and a bi-pod. After going to the local shooting range and dialing it in I was slightly low right and my son slightly high left with sights set the same, thus we decided it must be pretty well dialed in.

My lower is a Double Star, don't know if thats good or bad but I have had no issues, ftf,fte etc.... I would recommend the bargain bin for anybody on an extreme budget as a way into the AR 15 world.

I have a Double star lower and it is definitely good to go.