PDA

View Full Version : Stock Suggestions

Gutshot John
10-08-11, 12:30
I've got an SPS inbound that I'm looking to rebuild and just learn about building rifles writ large. The gun isn't meant to be a sub-moa shooter, only serve as a platform to learn about the techniques for building modifying my own stuff.

That said, I'm looking for a particular type of stock and I'm not really finding much in the way of options.

As a lefty I much prefer shooting right-handed guns though given the limitations of shouldering a gun I'm really looking for a pistol grip type of stock.

With the exception of high-end modular stocks all of the pistol grip stocks I see base their "handedness" on the action of the gun so that a right handed action will be right handed only and vice versa.

I'm looking for a pistol grip stock that will fit a right handed action but still be comfortable/appropriate for a left-handed/ambi shooter.

Thanks in advance.

orkan
10-08-11, 13:14
AICS

Mcree

McMillan

Manners

Bell & Carlson

JAE 100

HS Precision

XLR industries

All listed companies make stocks with an ambi cheek that would work equally well for righties and lefties.

Gutshot John
10-08-11, 13:27
Mmmm...McCree/XLR is a modular stock and like I said I'm more into learning about bedding etc. Bolt in models aren't really the point.

Having looked at the rest of manufacturers I didn't find any stock models that were ambi (or lefty) pistol grip that would work for a right-handed action.

Again I'm looking for an actual pistol grip, though thumbhole stocks would work. A5s aren't really what I'm looking for.

maximus83
10-08-11, 14:08
GJ, I know that you looked at Manners stocks so sorry in advance if you've already looked this one over.

But if you look on their tactical stocks page (http://mannerstocks.com/tactical/), the T5 Non-Adjustable version has both a pistol grip, and is ambidextrous. Here's what they say: "The T5 non adjustable cheek version has a ambidextrous grip." They go on to mention that this stock weighs about 2.7 lbs.

Also their "MCS-GAT" stock, which is a thumbhole stock with a pistol grip, is mentioned as being ambi.

Anyway, might be worth checking these out if you haven't already, they seem to fit your criteria of "right-handed action, ambidextrous pistol grip."

orkan
10-08-11, 14:21
Mmmm...McCree/XLR is a modular stock and like I said I'm more into learning about bedding etc. Bolt in models aren't really the point.

Mcmillan and Manners both make thumbhole ambi's that would serve you.

MCS T5 and T5A.
http://mannerstocks.com/tactical/

As for bedding, you can bed a chassis just as well. I skim bed my AICS. Contrary to rumors about it not being necessary, I find it to be a worthwhile practice.

Team Chuck Norris
10-08-11, 18:24
In my experience, most after market stocks are vastly overpriced given their quality and features.

One of the best stocks, which also happens to be very reasonably priced, is the TARGET & SNIPER STOCK by Choate. I have had one for about 15 years with a Rem 700 .308 and it continues to impress me as compared with other stocks which are 2, 3 or 4x the price. In terms of ergonomics, ease of installation, it is what I recommend:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4208/avs%7CManufacturer_1=CHOATE/ttver=1/Product/TARGET-SNIPER-STOCK

Gutshot John
10-08-11, 18:49
Cool thanks for the replies...I was wondering why I was having so much trouble finding them.

This is just the first step in a process.

orkan
10-08-11, 19:29
In my experience, most after market stocks are vastly overpriced given their quality and features.

One of the best stocks, which also happens to be very reasonably priced, is the TARGET & SNIPER STOCK by Choate. I have had one for about 15 years with a Rem 700 .308 and it continues to impress me as compared with other stocks which are 2, 3 or 4x the price. In terms of ergonomics, ease of installation, it is what I recommend

Wow. I'm curious. How many stocks do you have personal experience with? ... as in you owned them, for a period of time longer than 3 months. Not a friends, or someone had one that you touched once.

I've handled the choate you mention, and shot rifles with them installed on multiple occasions. It is a turd. It is a HEAVY turd. That piece of molded plastic garbage weighs more than my AICS. (which I didn't think was possible) yet still flexes as if it were a hogue. (ok, not quite that bad... but bad enough)

Anyone trying to say they are a better choice than ANY of the top end stocks listed is either talking out of their rectum or experiencing a morbidly skewed personal preference.

I consider bell & carlson to be on the low end of aftermarket fiberglass stocks, yet I would pay someone TWICE what they are worth if my choice were between them and a choate.

maximus83
10-08-11, 20:32
IMO the Choate stocks are extremely heavy and very roughly finished. They also lack attention to detail and tend to have poor ergonomics, even though they are strongly made and you can get accurate results out of them. I've owned only one but was not super impressed with it. If somebody finds one that works for them, great! As a general rule though, I wouldn't recommend Choate stocks in a precision rifle, and would definitely not try to cast them as being "as good as" say a McMillan or Manners. At best, they would be a compromise if one did not want to spend the money for a better quality stock.

Gutshot John
10-08-11, 22:50
I had initially thought of the B-C as the budget option to learn on so I wouldn't be too out of luck if I screwed the pooch but there definitely doesn't seem to be an option there.

I wouldn't consider it for a real shooter but perhaps a Choate isn't the worst idea just to practice/learn on and then ditch when i'm ready for something a bit more serious.

Manners/McMillan are awesome and the MCS-GAT seems to be exactly what I'm looking for though a bit pricier than I wanted for my first foray.

The McCree and other modular options I'll look at down the road, especially if bedding is a viable option.

anthony1
10-10-11, 02:25
I like mcmillan and manners best, on a budget build l bought a BC medalist and for 200$ its a hell of a stock, l dont know if they offer the style you want though.