PDA

View Full Version : 64gr Gold Dot & 62gr TBBC canelure difference

archad
10-08-11, 12:32
Guys I recently got about 500 of each of these bullets machine pulled. I was wondering why there is such a difference where the canelure is.

Photo is Molons
http://fototime.com/2545646DC4B8DC0/standard.jpg

markm
10-08-11, 20:00
You couldn't put the cannalure in the same spot on the Gold Dot. It has a completely different Ogive.

And the 62 is a flat based bullet. The Golt Dot is a boat tail. Two totally different bullets.

Snake Plissken
10-08-11, 21:26
I bought some of the same lot. Mine are all 64 gr Gold Dots/Fusions. They too have slight differences in cannelure but only in the width of the cannelure so seating depth is not affected. They shape and weight of the bullets is identical.

I'd like to know where this stuff came from. There were several 62 gr bullets in the bundle of 64 gr bullets I bought. Makes for pain in the ass reloading as I have to sort bullets by weight. My source informed me that they were all from an ATK contractor who got them from an overrun. Regardless, at the price I purchased them it was almost as cheap as loading surplus Lake City M193.

archad, I would not use the same load data for either bullet and I would separate them all. Granted these are bonded bullets and you're going to be loading them to warm velocities at the minimum for their uses, the shapes will matter some. Not to mention the seating depth will differ if you intend on seating to cannelure for a proper crimp.

NWPilgrim
10-08-11, 22:05
It looks like the cannelure is located just at the top of the body of the barrel before the ogive begins. The TBBC has a much blunter ogive and therefore the cannelure is further up the length of the bullet. I imagine if the cannelure was moved down to to the same location as on the Gold Dot the bullet would not fit properly in the chamber/throat as it would not taper soon enough.

archad
10-08-11, 22:21
The bullets are pulled here locally by a ATK contractor. I can get barnes,sierras,tbbc etc. Thanks for the info guys:)