PDA

View Full Version : 1-4 optic for matches

The_Swede
10-09-11, 09:28
Hello gang

I'm currently looking for 1-4 variable optic to mount on my AR Iäm using for our IPSC Rifle matches. Since I'm on a bit of a budget I've been looking for the lower end optics. I've heard good things about the Leatherwood CMR but those are expensive over here (round 600) and I haven't found a shop in the US that can export them. I've been looking at the Nikon M223 1-4 and the Millet DMS-1. I've heard good things about Nikon and that they are a solid scope for their low price. Until recently I hadn't even heard about Millet and reviews seemed rather mixed also. In 95% of the matches the most distant targets (regular IPSC targets aswell as 12" x 12" plates) are 300 yards away so I would need to get good hits in the 0 - 300 spectrum. I'm imagning that close-up targets can be engaged quicker with a illuminated reticle. Is that so? How does the Nikon Point Blank Reticle work at 200 - 300 yards? I have an Aimpoint Micro that I could run in an offset mount to engage targets out to maybe 20 yards as an addition to the scope. A
Any thoughts?

Failure2Stop
10-09-11, 09:42
I would imagine that ITAR would severely limit your choices. I don't want to give a glowing recommendation for something you can't get. Can you give a general idea of what you would be able to get that you are interested in, or if there are any Swedish websites we can peruse for you?

The_Swede
10-09-11, 09:49
I would imagine that ITAR would severely limit your choices. I don't want to give a glowing recommendation for something you can't get. Can you give a general idea of what you would be able to get that you are interested in, or if there are any Swedish websites we can peruse for you?
There are actually a couple of US stores that specialize in selling scopes, legally I should add, to less fortunate countries. 4scopes.com, Eurooptic.com and theopticzone.com are those I've been in contact with. No problem shipping to Sweden and even with added swedish tax and customs much much cheaper than buying the same scope here.

As I said the scopes I've been looking closer at so far are the Nikon M223 1-4 and the Millet DMS-1. I don't have alot of experience with scopes as I shoot Aimpoints the majority of the time so Idon't wanna go spending a lot of money before I know what I like. 250 - 350 dollar is my range for the moment. Matches always take place in daytime and the illumination in many scopes seem to be for low or no-light operation so maybe paying for a lit reticle i unnessesary.

Failure2Stop
10-09-11, 09:57
The DMS 1 will be disappointing for what you want it to do.
I'll take a look around those sites this morning over my coffee and see if I can give you any recommendations.

The_Swede
10-09-11, 09:58
The DMS 1 will be disappointing for what you want it to do.
I'll take a look around those sites this morning over my coffee and see if I can give you any recommendations.
Thanks. I appreciate it! I'm well aware that I won't get a A-grade do-it all scope for 300 dollars.

Failure2Stop
10-09-11, 10:23
ETA- If you are able to compete with two optics (over here doing so pushes you into open class) I would recommend something on the higher end as the long range optic and the Micro as the dedicated sub-50 meter optic. For the primary I would be looking at something with a usable reticle and preferably finger adjustable turrets. Something in the 10 power range at the top end will give you more precise targeting, range estimation, and hold-over, as well as providing better observation of round strike in dirt or on steel.

The_Swede
10-09-11, 11:34
ETA- If you are able to compete with two optics (over here doing so pushes you into open class) I would recommend something on the higher end as the long range optic and the Micro as the dedicated sub-50 meter optic. For the primary I would be looking at something with a usable reticle and preferably finger adjustable turrets. Something in the 10 power range at the top end will give you more precise targeting, range estimation, and hold-over, as well as providing better observation of round strike in dirt or on steel.
Anything with an optic is considered open here. 1 or 2 doesn't matter. Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it.

Singlestack Wonder
10-09-11, 16:31
While its out of your current price range, take a look at the new Meopta 1-4x22 ZD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-38IX2frOg

shootist~
10-09-11, 17:55
Buy once, cry once. Even bumping your budget up to $500 will get you something that you will be happy with for a considerable time. I played with a buddy's CRM over two days and was not impressed on optical quality or the ability to get the BDC markings (floating dots) on target easily. It was compared to my PST 1-4.

Two of the sites you listed show the Vortex PST 1-4 for $500. This is a very usable scope for CQB ranges at 1x (it's true 1x at room distance), and it works nicely at your max distance of 300 Yds/Meters. Drawbacks are the illumination is not useful on bright days and the black dot is difficult (for me) to see on a black background. The outside cross-hairs still allow quick target acquisition, however and work much better (IMO) than the CMR reticle.

For 300 Yds, you don't need BDC or Turrets - even a decent hunting scope with none of the bells ans whistles will work very well. Just zero at 200 and use moderate holdover or "top edge" at 300. If you can find something in the 1-4 to 1.5-5 range with a good duplex reticle in your price range, you will be good to go. Leupold's Plane-Jane scopes tend to work pretty well. You might be able to find something of better quality in your local used optic market.

skullworks
12-24-11, 10:30
While its out of your current price range, take a look at the new Meopta 1-4x22 ZD.

I shot a Meopta 1-4x22 today (not the ZD though - the K-dot); I like it! It's 6900 SEK at Torsbo handels (http://www.torsbohandels.com/art_1615462). Not sure if anyone imports the ZD to Sweden (yet).

skullworks
12-24-11, 10:33
I shot the Swedish IPSC Rifle Championship with a Trijicon AccuPoint 1-4. I really liked that as well, but it's another 3000 SEK compared to the Meopta, and then you have the Washington Memorial post to contend with as well.

SomeOtherGuy
12-25-11, 20:48
I've been using a Burris FF TAC30 1-4x24 for about six months now. They run $300 in the US. I do not think you will find anything else close in terms of optical quality, construction quality, and features, for $300. The glass is clear, 1x is a true 1x with hardly any distortion, and the illumination works well and is extremely bright at its max setting.

http://www.burristactical.com/ff30tactical1.html

I also own a Nikon M-223 1-4x20mm and have not been as impressed with it. On mine the 1x is more like 0.8x, it has no illumination, and it just doesn't seem to be in quite the same league as the Burris above, which costs very little more.

cop1211
12-25-11, 22:03

+1 perfect optic for competition. cqb-500 yards +

I got one from sportoptics for $848 shipped, I returned it because I prefer the NF 1-4 with FC2 for my shooting ranges of cqb-150 yards for duty/SWAT use.

If I was in a place where I needed to shoot cqb-200 yards or more, I would have kept it and bought 2 more.

Save up awhile longer and grab the ZD, you wont be dissapointed, Aimpoint bright in the Florida sun. Very nice glass, and clarity.

broylz
12-26-11, 00:05
i run a millett dms-1 on my rifle and have been very happy with it so far. i keep mine on 4x most of the time and can make good hits on target to 50 yards or so with both eyes open if the reticle is illuminated. i have also run it out to 400 yards and had good luck with it there as well. its not a super precise optic with the dot in a donut reticle but i find it to be decently fast and accurate enough.

that said, if i could run two optics, i would mimic a buddy of mine and run a vortex viper pst in 2.5-10x with a vortex sparc or t1 in a daniel defense 1 o'clock mount. he is running his on an 18" BCM upper more in a hog hunting role.

montrala
12-28-11, 13:23
My friends who were using Millet DMS-1 found that it looses picture clarity over time and have generally fragile construction. Some of them decided to change over to Vortex Viper HS 1-4x24 after trying my PST (HS has low and capped turrets). As to illumination, my PST at full brightness is equal to setting "9" on Aimpoint Micro T1.

As to getting Vortex to Sweden, they have very competent export department at Vortex, that is willing to help in getting their scopes outside of US. Also they already have dealer in Poland, not so far from Sweden ;)

Between Millet and Nikon, it is Nikon all the time, however for IPSC illumination is important. Meopta is great, but tends to be expensive (at least here, even with factory just trough the border.

skullworks
12-28-11, 13:32
Vortex is being imported into Sweden already. You guys got me hooked on the Meopta ZD 1-4x22 though (which no-one is listing over here).