PDA

View Full Version : Silencing SCAR rattle - experience wanted

QuietShootr
10-09-11, 11:48
Without getting into a big philosophical discussion about this, I silence all my gear. As irritating as the weight of the LMT MWS was, I could make that ****er as quiet to carry and manipulate as a brick.

The SCAR, God love it, sounds like a box of Legos being shaken when you move it around. My project for today is quieting down all the squeaks, rattles, and kerchunks that come from carrying it around. I figured out how to silence the buttplate - pull the pushpin, roll up a piece of packing styrofoam sheet and stick it in the toe of the stock so that you have to press the buttplate in place firmly to get the pushpin in, and voila - no more rattly buttplate. Now that leaves the boot itself.

I'm thinking of putting a thin dab of RTV on the inside of the stock so that the sliding arm can't wobble back and forth. What have you guys who carried it in the field done about this?

zacbol
10-09-11, 12:24
The SCAR, God love it, sounds like a box of Legos being shaken when you move it around.
Lmao. I've noticed this as well. Will be interested to see if anyone responds and may try some of these ideas myself.

That and I'm still interested in better ways of making the magazine floor plates not slide off when they're dropped. Duct tape is my crappy solution for now. An instructor at my last class suggested trying 7.62 Magpuls but not even sure if they'd fit the SCAR mags. They don't have them at my local stores, though they're like $10 for three so maybe I could just order them and try it out.

QuietShootr
10-17-11, 12:57
Lmao. I've noticed this as well. Will be interested to see if anyone responds and may try some of these ideas myself.

That and I'm still interested in better ways of making the magazine floor plates not slide off when they're dropped. Duct tape is my crappy solution for now. An instructor at my last class suggested trying 7.62 Magpuls but not even sure if they'd fit the SCAR mags. They don't have them at my local stores, though they're like $10 for three so maybe I could just order them and try it out.

I put a couple on some mags yesterday. They're tight, but they fit, and they do look like they'd prevent the plate drift.

zacbol
10-18-11, 11:13
I put a couple on some mags yesterday. They're tight, but they fit, and they do look like they'd prevent the plate drift.
Good to know. Thanks. I just ordered a few a couple days ago, not knowing if they'd actually fit or not.

Javelin
10-18-11, 11:33
The SCAR, God love it, sounds like a box of Legos being shaken when you move it around.

:lol::lol::lol:

kartoffel
10-18-11, 11:49
Expedient suggestions: electric tape, RTV silicone, cigarette butts, thin strips of leather, tootsie rolls, etc.

Whatever you do, don't figure out how to cram an Accu-Wedge into a SCAR. You'll never hear the end of it around here! :D

VooDoo6Actual
10-18-11, 19:18

LMAO, Classic !

snakedoctor
10-18-11, 20:23
can someone post a video clip of the "rattle sound"?

QuietShootr
10-19-11, 07:32

I'll try to do it later. It isn't *THAT* loud, but if your expectation is that you can move with it and be totally inaudible at 10 feet, it's loud. Probably doesn't matter for mounted ops, but for the lone shooter on foot it would be critical.

markm
10-19-11, 08:27
As irritating as the weight of the LMT MWS was, I could make that ****er as quiet to carry and manipulate as a brick.

That's funny. I can always tell when I pick up Pappabear's LMT without looking in the bag. It's the gun that weight 18 lbs!

QuietShootr
10-19-11, 09:50
That's funny. I can always tell when I pick up Pappabear's LMT without looking in the bag. It's the gun that weight 18 lbs!

Yeah, that's kinda why I got rid of it. The SCAR is feathery even with a bipod, VFG, ACOG, and light on it.

BullittBoy
10-19-11, 13:50
You have to be the FIRST person in the world to sell a SCAR because it was too LIGHT:D
Everyone wants it to be as light as can be-especially the 17, that is it's main selling point. I love mine

QuietShootr
10-19-11, 14:29
You have to be the FIRST person in the world to sell a SCAR because it was too LIGHT:D
Everyone wants it to be as light as can be-especially the 17, that is it's main selling point. I love mine

No, no...I got rid of the LMT for a SCAR because the LMT was too heavy.

armakraut
10-19-11, 16:23
Rattle = Reliable

Clint
10-19-11, 22:02
Rattle = Reliable
^^^^
Yes,
the rattle is a by-product of appropriately generous clearances that allow reliable operation in harsh environments.

Think AK and M&P(pistol).

jbsmwd
10-20-11, 07:55
^^^^
Yes,
the rattle is a by-product of appropriately generous clearances that allow reliable operation in harsh environments.

Your M&P rattles? what model do you have?

QuietShootr
10-20-11, 08:19
^^^^
Yes,

The rattle comes from the stock, not the action.

Clint
10-20-11, 19:36
Your M&P rattles? what model do you have?

The rattle comes from the stock, not the action.

No

"Rattle" was probably a poor choice of words.

"Perceptible free play in the action" would be better term and what I was keying in on with the general comment, not any furniture issues.

zacbol
10-22-11, 12:36
Posted this in another thread but in case you didn't see it, here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aE2ZnOEF68

armakraut
10-22-11, 16:07
Shake it baby... shake it.

99HMC4
10-25-11, 22:39
I started a thread about this over at FN forum. I took my stock part and filled the metal internal notch and key shaft with water proof axle grease. Completely eliminated the stock rattle, been running it for at least six months with no issues.....

Alien
11-01-11, 01:12
On a similar note regarding my ACR, I put an O ring on each of the sling mounts where the basic handguard locks up to stiffen it up nice and solid with no play and took a wide/thick rubberband and cut it and put a piece on the side of the stock inside the receiver for the receiver to push against to eliminate any play sorta like an accuwedge. :D It feels like a solid chunk now and that's how I like my guns.