PDA

View Full Version : Rem 870 Tech ?

Militant83
10-09-11, 13:47
I just bought me a Remington 870 tactical and every fourth shell the breech stays locked forward and I have to slam the butt stock on the ground while racking the forend to get it to extract the shell.

Any advice as to whats going on and what I can do to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cerberus
10-09-11, 17:23
Could the slide release be getting caught on something?

Militant83
10-09-11, 19:01
I dont think so cause it would randomly do it if that was the case I would think. It does it consistantly on every 4th shell.

Coastiejohn
10-09-11, 19:23
is it a 4 round mag tube? If so check to see if the shell latches are catching the follower correctly or if they are bent. Sounds like the shell latches are catching on the action bar somewhere.

Militant83
10-09-11, 19:47
is it a 4 round mag tube? If so check to see if the shell latches are catching the follower correctly or if they are bent. Sounds like the shell latches are catching on the action bar somewhere.

No its an extended 8 round tube

Militant83
10-10-11, 11:46
Ok I solved the issue so I figured I would post my results incase it happens to another fellow member on the board.

After no real thoughts from members on here I went to search other sources and found that other people were having similar issues. And replies to them all talked about dirt or possible burrs being in the chamber. So I broke it all down gave it a goood cleaning. Then took a dremel attachment that had a head on it that is kind of like a scotch brite pad material and just hit the rim of the chamber with it a few times then I took another attachment that is like a real dense cotton material and did the same with it. After all of that I cleaned the chamber again to remove any debris from the dremel. Gave everything a good coat of oil and put it all back together.

Took it outside and ran about 15 shells through it and the only time the breech stayed locked forward was after the last round was fired.

So my conclusion is that I had a burr in the chamber that was causing the shell to get stuck as it swelled in the chamber.

Hopefully this is helpful to other members.

rrt
10-10-11, 12:07
Thanks for the info.

rrt
10-10-11, 12:34
Thanks for the info.

Militant83
10-10-11, 12:50
Thanks for the info.

Not a problem..thats what the board is for to share knowledge and gain knowledge from others.

highxj
10-10-11, 18:52
That was my first thought, in combination with cheap steel base shells.......but your insistence that it only happened every fourth shell was a puzzle.

Steel base shells are pretty notorious for causing this in less than smooth chambers. Mine doesn't like them either, extraction can be a bit hard. But it runs fine on better quality brass stuff...

Militant83
10-10-11, 20:10
That was my first thought, in combination with cheap steel base shells.......but your insistence that it only happened every fourth shell was a puzzle.

Steel base shells are pretty notorious for causing this in less than smooth chambers. Mine doesn't like them either, extraction can be a bit hard. But it runs fine on better quality brass stuff...

Yeah it was weird that for some reason it ended up being every fourth round.. yeah i knew that the cheap shells were some of the cause but being that i had to slam the butt against the ground to eject the shell I knew the issue was deeper than that. But its all fixed now even with the cheap shells. Shooots like a champ now.