PDA

View Full Version : HK45C Light LEM kit test fire results

one
10-09-11, 16:05
I'm a fan of the HK45 and 45C. I've always ran them single action cocked and locked but after following reading Vicker's and Hackathorn's interview on the pistol I decided to give the LEM a try in these guns.

I got one of the two kits in yesterday from HKparts and installed in the 45C. I took it out for a run today and this was the first five rounds fired from the gun, offhand, at seven yards. Ammunition was American Eagle 230 ball.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/goddamnit/General%20pics/100901_123400.jpg?t=1318193389

I won't be going back to the previous configuration.

In the past I've ran my USP45C back and forth on the LEM configuration. I've always been lukewarm on the system but recently have grown to love it. I set up a friend's P30 with the lighter configuration and that gun is a 9mm dream.

This group pictured is also a much tighter group than I've ever shot with the 45C previously single action. The LEM seems lighter and crisper to me and the removal of the thumb safety does wonders for comfort on the thumbs forward shooting style I live by.

I can't wait for Tuesday. That's when the second LEM kit is slated to arrive for the full size pistol.

Spiffums
10-09-11, 17:39
I love my LEM. It made a great gun better for how I shoot.

loupav
10-09-11, 18:34
Thanks for the post One. I too am a HUGE fan of the HK45 series and usually shoot them DA/SA. I'm soon to receive a V3 detent plate, omitting the safety option.

Perhaps I should give the LEM another try.

one
10-09-11, 20:32
When I ran any of my HK's cocked and locked the first thing I did was eliminate the decocker feature.

I went back and forth with the USP compact from LEM to single action so many times I can't remember. Then one day it just all seemed to fit. Then as an experiment I took the top end slide and barrel assembly off the 45C and put it on the USP's LEM outfitted frame and ran it that way for a while.

Groups immediately tightened up with the omission of the safety lever on the frame so I could comfortably improve my grip and the lighter pull and cleaner break of the LEM set up worked out well this go around. So I guess I'm going to have to consider myself, finally, a LEM convert.

majette
10-09-11, 20:59
Then as an experiment I took the top end slide and barrel assembly off the 45C and put it on the USP's LEM outfitted frame and ran it that way for a while.

first i have heard of being able to configure one as such. please post pics.

dudshep31
10-09-11, 21:14
Can you buy the p30 9mm with the lighter LEM kit? I have the .40 in da/sa but want the 9mm so I figured I would try the LEM.

newyork
10-10-11, 07:43
I kept decocking accidentally and was scared to put it on safe unintentionallly if I kept my thumbs under the lever. I don't like da/sa so I put in the LEM kit . I love it. All my HKs will be light LEM from now on.

JohnN
10-10-11, 09:32
Can you buy the p30 9mm with the lighter LEM kit? I have the .40 in da/sa but want the 9mm so I figured I would try the LEM.

I doubt you will find a V1 variant (light LEM) on a dealers shelf. You will probably have to buy a V2 and send it to HK for them to install the parts or buy the parts and install them yourself.

KhanRad
10-10-11, 09:55

You certainly can:
http://www.topgunsupply.com/hk-handguns/

nobody knows
10-10-11, 13:36
What is the trigger pull weight of the light lem? I was looking into getting an hk 45c in da/sa with the v9 plate, bit I have been herring good things about the light lem and might get one of those instead. Also have they come out with the match trigger for the hk 45/c yet? Thanks

dudshep31
10-10-11, 16:53
You certainly can:
http://www.topgunsupply.com/hk-handguns/

Thanks.

one
10-10-11, 17:56
first i have heard of being able to configure one as such. please post pics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/goddamnit/IMG_0070.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/goddamnit/IMG_0071.jpg

45C
10-10-11, 18:15
One, what kind of sights on your 45C? And a 45C slide on a USP C frame:confused:?

one
10-10-11, 18:45
Heinie # 3960 Suppressor height sights. (Straight Eights)

one
10-10-11, 18:49
Here's a more normal view of the pistol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/goddamnit/Handguns/IMG_0069.jpg

E-man930
10-10-11, 18:50
Those look like Heinie Straight Eights for guns running suppressors...
(And nice H&K mashup by the way! I may have to do that with my stainless compact and my HK45C.)
Congrats go to the OP - I ended up with all LEM H&K's shortly after my Light LEM experience as well.

Plato
10-10-11, 19:00
Where could one find the light LEM kit for the HK45? I checked hkparts.net but I only saw the 5.5# version.

one
10-10-11, 19:20
This is the most recent two kits I ordered.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-LEM-Kit-Complete-For-USP-USP-Compact-Pistols-198p316.htm

Basically install the required components but do not change out your trigger return spring or mainspring and you'll wind up with the 4.5-5.5 pull weight.

I've seen in the past that the HK45 and C come standard with the nickle leaf spring but neither of my guns have that. They came with the usual black one. I've always changed out the springs for the nickle coated ones and likewise ordered two and switched out with this pistol. (And the pending full size.)

Total with shipping came to $97 and some change.

And lastly E-man930 is correct on the sights. I do run all my HK's suppressed as well.

jwperry
10-10-11, 20:10
Basically install the required components but do not change out your trigger return spring or mainspring and you'll wind up with the 4.5-5.5 pull weight.

And your guns aren't suffering from poor trigger resets?

one
10-10-11, 21:15
No. They run fine.

An Undocumented Worker
10-10-11, 22:19
Does a LEM trigger on an HK feel anything like the double action mode of a standard V3 trigger? Or does it feel different alltogether?

newyork
10-11-11, 07:18
Different altogether. Besides, the V3 da is between 10-12 pounds. The light LEM is between 4.5-5.5 pounds.

reed503
10-11-11, 10:56
I ran ONEs 45c yesterday and it is a thing of beauty. The light LEM is the way to go.. Cant wait to try out the fullsize. I have a feeling a fullsize HK 45 with light LEM will be my next duty gun.

dirt_diver
10-11-11, 13:12
Is it possible to have the light LEM, but keep the safety?
The DA mode is all but useless to me; way to long, gritty, etc, and I would love one consistent triggerpull while keeping the safety feature ala 1911.
Thanks in advance.

E-man930
10-11-11, 14:04
No need for the safety, let go of the trigger and the LEM hammer is returned to the hammer block position... to fire a round you have a long take up before getting to to the actual 4.5 / 5.5 / 6.5 lb break. (depending on your combination of springs)

one
10-11-11, 14:15
E-man is right. But if you really want the safety then yes you can configure it to retain it.

But honestly. It's a much better gun with the safety gone and that room allowing now for a thumbs forward grip with no discomfort. It also makes it that much more slim and snag resistant to anything. And with the dual slide release and mag release it (And all it's P2000, P30, USP, HK45) is the most ambidextrous handgun out there. Save for the older P7 series.

ETA: I just got the second LEM kit in the mail today from HKparts so late tonight I'll strip out the frame and give it a detailed deep cleaning and install. Tomorrow it will be back to the range with the larger pistol.

dirt_diver
10-11-11, 15:37
Ok, I guess I didn't understand the LEM configuration as much as I thought I did.
As I now understand it, LEM is more akin to a lighter version of a DA trigger, rather than a heavier SA, as I'd previously thought.
Is this right?
BTW thanks for education.

Plato
10-11-11, 21:38
So do I have this right? In order to get the Light LEM kit for my HK45 I have to order these two things:

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/LEM-Conversion-Kit-Complete-HK45-German-212p1129.htm

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Light-Trigger-Return-Spring-HK-Pistols-212p2081.htm

newyork
10-11-11, 22:42
Just order the HK45 LEM kit. That's it. When you install, leave the original trigger return spring and main spring. Done.

one
10-11-11, 22:51
I actually went with this cheaper universal kit. Why it's cheaper I have no idea.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=316&idaffiliate=7

I also run the Nickel spring here

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Sear-Spring-Nickel-Plated-HK45-213p1811.htm

I don't know how much real difference it makes but it's used on the hybrid/match set ups that HK developed.

Also. Your pistol may very well have the Nickel spring in it already. Neither of mine did.

Plato
10-11-11, 22:55
Nice! Thanks for saving me some cash sir!

one
10-11-11, 22:58
No prob. I have no idea why the price difference but it runs like a house afire in my 45C.

Hdog83
10-12-11, 14:13
For those who've done it, how "hard" is this retrofit? I'm reasonably skilled, but certainly not an armorer (certified or uncertified)....thanks.

Plato
10-12-11, 14:48
For those who've done it, how "hard" is this retrofit? I'm reasonably skilled, but certainly not an armorer (certified or uncertified)....thanks.

Excellent question!

My skills are limited to glock and m&p detail stripping which included installing all my apex upgrades and messing up the install for the apex fss (my latest goof) but otherwise I do OK.

newyork
10-12-11, 15:11
I'm mechanically retarded and installed mine myself with BigBore's install instructions. You'll have to Google them as the kit has no instructions. I yelled and screamed for a few minutes, realized I was putting a spring in wrong, made it right and voila! Got it. It's not hard.

nobody knows
10-12-11, 16:36
I have also been wondering, because lots of people say that HK's are one of the hardest pistols to work on. I'm pretty good with that stuff tho, so maybe It's just people that lack mechanical ability.

one
10-12-11, 18:30
Instructions here. They're technically for a USP but there's no difference.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-reference-library/63079-lem-installation-instructions.html The trigger spring is the worst thing on Earth to work with. But if you're going with the light LEM (And heaven help you if you're not.) you won't change it or touch it. Just the internal frame parts detailed out there.

I just walked in from the range! The HK45 full size did just as expected. Beautiful results.

But the big excitement for me is a buddy and I did walk back drill and I was easily hitting my steel FBI Q target at 134 yards! I was running my 45C against his P226R with Short reset trigger. Each gun proved more than capable of the distance. We've shot Sigs and Glocks before at this length but this is the furthest I've taken out an HK. "Ecstatic" doesn't even cover how I feel right now with the new pistol.

I was surfing around last night and accidentally came across this thread here from May that I participated in. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81172 What a difference a summer and mindset change makes.

Javelin
10-12-11, 19:14
Here's a more normal view of the pistol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/goddamnit/Handguns/IMG_0069.jpg

I really like that pistol. For some reason it is one of the most sexy Hk pistols made thus far. :D

newyork
10-12-11, 21:34
Man that is sick!

SturmGrenadier
10-12-11, 22:59
Looks great! :D

one
10-12-11, 23:02
Thanks man. Great to see you online here!

Hdog83
10-13-11, 23:11
Thanks NewYork and one - based on this, sounds like its worth trying. The G21SF and the G30SF's I have are ultimately destined for the "for sale" bin, but this may be the thing that keeps me from going all the way to an all G19/G17 fleet....

decodeddiesel
10-13-11, 23:25
I have been running my P30LEM with the V0 LEM (lower power firing pin block spring, Lower Power Hammer Spring, Lower Power trigger return spring) for about 6 months now and I am very fond of this trigger. I like that even though it is a light trigger it gives a nice positive reset, and is easy to adjust to from an M&P Trigger.

It is by far the nicest 9mm I have ever fired.

gabuzz12
10-21-11, 21:54
How do you feel about the reset on the LEM trigger? I have one on a p30 and a HK45 of mine, and I think it's too long. I prefer the much shorter reset on my glocks, but I like the h&ks also.

gabuzz12
10-21-11, 21:55
Any thoughts on how to shorten the reset on the LEM?

gabuzz12
10-21-11, 21:57
If I could shorten the reset, I would probably keep them. I'm considering selling them because of the big difference between the LEM reset and the glock.

decodeddiesel
10-21-11, 22:06
How do you feel about the reset on the LEM trigger? I have one on a p30 and a HK45 of mine, and I think it's too long. I prefer the much shorter reset on my glocks, but I like the h&ks also.

Personally I really like it, even with the lighter spring it is very positive if it is a bit long.

one
10-21-11, 22:44
Any thoughts on how to shorten the reset on the LEM?

Bruce Gray of Grayguns does this work. It's hella expensive but a lot of people rave about it.
www.grayguns.com

DUNDEM
10-29-11, 13:45
Looks and sounds great. I shoot my 45c very well and never use the DA mode. I like a light trigger and have 1911's. I have shot a P229(SA) and love how light and soft the trigger is. Is the light LEM similar in feel to the Sig triggers?

decodeddiesel
10-29-11, 15:37
Looks and sounds great. I shoot my 45c very well and never use the DA mode. I like a light trigger and have 1911's. I have shot a P229(SA) and love how light and soft the trigger is. Is the light LEM similar in feel to the Sig triggers?

The LEM is nothing like the triggers you have mentioned.

Plato
11-13-11, 01:44
So...

I had the LEM installed into my HK45 by a gunsmith. I wanted the light version of the LEM so I had him keep the original TRS and mainspring in there and other than the sweet feeling LEM. It seems that sometimes in the "first level" of the LEM, the 1st trigger pull before the heavier one, the trigger will not reset and linger back for a couple of seconds. Granted I have only dry-fired it and I yet to try this at the range, but any thoughts to why this is happening?

majette
11-13-11, 08:09
So...

I had the LEM installed into my HK45 by a gunsmith. I wanted the light version of the LEM so I had him keep the original TRS and mainspring in there and other than the sweet feeling LEM. It seems that sometimes in the "first level" of the LEM, the 1st trigger pull before the heavier one, the trigger will not reset and linger back for a couple of seconds. Granted I have only dry-fired it and I yet to try this at the range, but any thoughts to why this is happening?

proper way to dry fire is to remove the magazine then cycle the slide.

1. grip the pistol as normal and acquire a sight picture.
2. swiftly pull the trigger to the rear until the trigger breaks and the hammer falls.
3. KEEP HOLDING THE TRIGGER TO THE REAR AND CYCLE THE SLIDE BY HAND.
4. slowly ease the trigger forward until it resets.
5. repeat steps 2 to 4 for subsequent shots practice from the shorter reset.

you now have been given the secret handshake to dry firing and shooting the lem. if you want to practice the longer initial take up release the trigger fully forward after you hand cycle the slide. cycling of the slide is what pre-cocks the hammer and gives you the lighter stroke. dry firing without cycling the slide means you have to overcome the spring tension to cock the hammer and is not the way to practice. if you get a chance to practice your draw stroke when you press out take up the initial pull quick until you get to the break point. once you get your sight picture quickly pull the trigger.

Plato
11-18-11, 02:34
I guess I didn't make my self clear... my trigger sticks (it stays back) when it should be resetting...

H&K
11-18-11, 08:36
I guess I didn't make my self clear... my trigger sticks (it stays back) when it should be resetting...

It should not stick at all. As soon as you release pressure it should go forward.

majette
11-18-11, 09:05
have you fired it yet? if not put a few rounds through it first.

Plato
11-18-11, 14:23
I have only been able to shoot about 250 rounds. It it did occur twice during those rounds. It happens more during dry fire seasons.

Denali
11-18-11, 18:12
I set up a friend's P30 with the lighter configuration and that gun is a 9mm dream.

I was under the impression that the P30 9mm's could not be modified to the LEM?

jwperry
11-18-11, 20:48

Make sure your TRS is seated properly in the gun and into the recess on the trigger.
If it is and you are still having the problem, switch to the heavier TRS.
I had this same issue with my HK45c in LEM configuration. Using the standard TRS the trigger wouldn't consistently reset.