PDA

View Full Version : 20 year old looking to buy first CA legal AR-15

drownindreams
10-09-11, 17:29
Hey guys, well, title says it all. Not new to the gun world, I've been an avid hunter since I was 12. Shotguns and rifles were my thing and still are. Now, I'm interested in buying my very first assault rifle. After what video games, movies, and personal interest have stated, I landed on the AR-15, or the 'M4' (to my understanding, the AR-15 is the semi automatic version.)

So far, here is what I've come up with. About 70% of accessories that can be put on the AR, are illegal in CA. That leaves me with a few options. Can someone verify if the extendable stock is illegal here?

Looking for either a .223 or 5.56 NATO, the caliber doesn't matter, I'd prefer the cheaper one.

Basically, I'm asking all of you members here to school me on what I don't know. Thanks guys.

rezin23
10-09-11, 17:32
Daniel Defense M4V3 LW, or a Noveske Basic MOE would be great guns at a good price. And yes, extendable stocks are legal.

shua713
10-09-11, 17:37
I just baought the Daniel Defense M4 V3 on monday, I should be here tomorrow. I have done all sorts of research on this forum and other sources and I believe if you can muster up $1200 this is by far the best rifle to get.

akgunnut
10-09-11, 18:19
Getting an AR-15 chambered for 5.56 will allow you to shoot both .223 and 5.56 NATO. I believe most of them do come standard with 5.56 chambers but I'm not 100% sure.

chadbag
10-09-11, 18:23
You might want to peruse CalGuns. www.calguns.net

That is your definitive source for California rifle information including legality of various things and what is available and how it has to be configured.

Super Mall Ninja
10-09-11, 18:26
http://www.riflegear.com/ <-- All of their ARs are available in CA legal configurations.
"About 70% of accessories that can be put on the AR, are illegal in CA"
Erm, no? I live in CA and I can put just about anything I want on it WITH a bullet button. I'd recommend getting a bullet button that you can adjust with a tool to a regular magazine release. They're pretty neat if you go out of state a lot to shoot like me.
You can also have "magazine rebuild kits," which are disassembled "high-cap" mags. But, you can only put them together when you're out of state and need to bring them back disassembled.

drownindreams
10-09-11, 18:42
can anyone show me what a bullet button looks like?

SpaceWrangler
10-09-11, 18:46
can anyone show me what a bullet button looks like?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bullet+button

TOMTOM
10-09-11, 18:50
You might want to peruse CalGuns. www.calguns.net

That is your definitive source for California rifle information including legality of various things and what is available and how it has to be configured.

I agree. Calguns.net will be able to provide all the information to build/purchase/maintain a 100% legal rifle.

-Tom

Iraqgunz
10-09-11, 22:20
Moved to the regional area due to Californias quirky laws.

TangoSauce
10-09-11, 22:21
Google Calguns flowchart. You want to ensure your lower is not banned. Buy a bullet button from RifleGear, I use Raddlock. Evil features are okay with bullet button. Pick up 10 round magazines too.

ChocLab
10-09-11, 23:37

drownindreams
10-10-11, 01:20
If you plan to take any courses, I would go featureless, no bullet button.

That means fixed (sully or A1) or pinned stock, compensator instead of a flash hider, and some type of non standard grip like exile machine, monster man grip (mmg), or solar tactical grip wrap.

At the vickers AK class in chino, for those without registered assault weapons it was either grip wrap or mmg.

Buy a decent upper (Colt, BCM, or DD) but you will have to pair with a non-listed lower. I plan to run my Colt 6940 at the next carbine class attend.

If this sounds like a foreign language use the search button on Calguns for "featureless"

There is also a picture thread for featureless builds.

The laws suck for now but the future battleground for AW litigation will be places like CA or NJ...

I actually favor the extendable stock feature, I wouldn't want to keep a fixed one. What does the bullet button have to do with it though? I thought the bullet button was mandatory in CA. Or are you referring to building my own (which I don't plan on.)

jtoth
10-10-11, 02:17
Hey guys, well, title says it all. Not new to the gun world, I've been an avid hunter since I was 12. Shotguns and rifles were my thing and still are. Now, I'm interested in buying my very first assault rifle. After what video games, movies, and personal interest have stated, I landed on the AR-15, or the 'M4' (to my understanding, the AR-15 is the semi automatic version.)

So far, here is what I've come up with. About 70% of accessories that can be put on the AR, are illegal in CA. That leaves me with a few options. Can someone verify if the extendable stock is illegal here?

Looking for either a .223 or 5.56 NATO, the caliber doesn't matter, I'd prefer the cheaper one.

Basically, I'm asking all of you members here to school me on what I don't know. Thanks guys.

I also live in California and bought a Sig 516. Not the Sig 556. I just replaced the retarded bullet button with a prince 50.

ChocLab
10-10-11, 02:45

ernie pezz
02-15-12, 23:43
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bullet+button

How did you do that with the automated Google search???
Very slick! LOL

DMcNulty!
03-21-12, 02:37
Raddlock AR Series Magazine Lock its like 35 bucks

rojocorsa
03-21-12, 02:45

That 70% figure is BS.

Just go on Calguns and read the stickied threads and guides. You'll be up to speed in no-time.