PDA

View Full Version : I am confused

JWR075
10-09-11, 18:50
I was looking at this http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/10/06/franklin-armory-xo-26b-has-franklin-hacked-the-nfa/ and it said that this firearm did not need any type of NFA paperwork. I think looked at http://www.franklinarmory.com/PRODUCTS_XO-26.html and found a letter from the ATF that stated (please look at it and see if you came to the same conclusion as me) that as long as the firearm is over 26” long that it does not need the NFA paper work associated with either a pistol w/ a vertical grip or an SBR. IS that correct, if so that would allow a person, who cannot obtain a SBR in their state to obtain a pistol or SBR 11.5” upper and attach it to a lower, minus the stock and still fall within the legal parameters of this letter; correct?

Polymerhead
10-09-11, 19:13
...if so that would allow a person, who cannot obtain a SBR in their state to obtain a pistol or SBR 11.5” upper and attach it to a lower, minus the stock and still fall within the legal parameters of this letter; correct?

You can attach a shorty lower to a virgin or pistol receiver and run a pistol buffer legally. Nothing new there. AFAIK, the only "new" thing this ATF opinion letter lets you do is attach a VFG without registering it as a AOW (seemingly the OAL has to be 26"+ to fall under this loophole).

I don't understand the big deal in all this, but they're doing their best to market it as a big new thing.

JWR075
10-09-11, 19:32
I think they found this loophole for the installation of a VFG onto a "pistol" without having to register it. To me, this opens up a lot of options for a person that cannot obtain a SBR and wants more controllability of the firearm.

I had asked if putting a KAC handstop or an Ergo surestop would cause NFA issues when attached to a pistol. It appears that as long as the lower was a registered pistol and the upper is long enough to achieve the 26+” limit, then an KAC or Ergo handstop could be put on a “pistol” without any issues with the ATF.

Iraqgunz
10-09-11, 22:34
There are already two posts about this nightmare.