PDA

View Full Version : OEM Front site question

gonefishin
10-10-11, 09:37
Recently purchased DPMS Mod A-15. After taking a basic black rifle course and doing some dry practice, I noticed the front site wasn't symmetric. The right wing (post protector) is much wider than the left wing. Is this a manufacturing defect or is there method to this madness? I know some rangefinders work by using the relative size of a object such as a typical deer. DPMS didn't return my email and the instructor hadn't heard of this before.

C4IGrant
10-10-11, 09:51
Recently purchased DPMS Mod A-15. After taking a basic black rifle course and doing some dry practice, I noticed the front site wasn't symmetric. The right wing (post protector) is much wider than the left wing. Is this a manufacturing defect or is there method to this madness? I know some rangefinders work by using the relative size of a object such as a typical deer. DPMS didn't return my email and the instructor hadn't heard of this before.

Pretty common thing I think. If it bothers you, call them up and have them replace the barrel.

C4

gonefishin
10-10-11, 10:20
Pretty common thing I think. If it bothers you, call them up and have them replace the barrel.
C4

Doesn't bother me. Just new to the rifle and trying to learn as much as possible. Todays guns are so modular assumed everything had a purpose.

markm
10-10-11, 10:29
That does happen. I too like a nice symetrical sight pic, but I wouldn't replace anything if I had one that wasn't even.

40Arpent
10-10-11, 10:50
There are a few other threads here that discuss this, but I searched for you and pulled up one post that I think kinda sums it all up best:

We had a thread about this jump up about two years ago. Had a lot of photos of examples in it, showing how virtually each and every brand-name that puts fixed FSBs on their guns ends up getting one that was made on the day that the little old lady that makes them showed up to work drunk that day.

The general concensus was that, while annoying and lacking in symmetry, if you are focused on either protective wing of the FSB instead of your front sight post, you're sight-alignment/sight picture technique is flawed (less filling!), OR, that the eye is drawn to certain things along the focal plane, and that the variance in FSB wings signales the appearance of the 3rd of the Four Horsemen (tastes great!).

Those less prone to polarization found that, if the asymmetry is an insurmountable distraction, it should get it replaced with a symmertical one, since it's messing with your mojo.

That, heating and reshaping a bent wing, asymmetric or not, led to more instances of the wing breaking off comletely at a later date, compared to those that left the things alone even if bent somewhat. Either suck it up, or get it replaced.

Concessions were made to the idea that the thin side was a greater structural concern in comparison to the cosmetic aspect of the fatter wing, particularly to those who actually USE their rifles instead of treat them like a spun-glass swan figurine, because that protective wing might be the one that snaps off.

Structurally and visually, it means almost nothing, but it IS supposed to be symmetrical. If the manufacturer cannot/will not replace it, you certainly can, or have it done by a competent 'smith/armorer.

FSBs are...what, like $30?

Tweak
10-10-11, 21:19
Is the hole for the front sight post centered between the wings or does it also sit to one side?

Grease Monkey
10-11-11, 09:46
If it makes you feel better my Noveske N4 Basic was the same way.

Failure2Stop
10-11-11, 10:40
Ignore and drive on.
It is literally the least of your worries with a DPMS.