PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon SRS

Pages : [1] 2

philipeggo
10-10-11, 12:23
While it looks pretty bulky I think its a great idea . Hopefully it works as advertised .

http://www.americanrifleman.org/videos/trijicon-sealed-reflex-sight/#.TpMd8NxY7pI.facebook

I would like different reticle options though .

ICANHITHIMMAN
10-10-11, 12:55
Finaly! Now I need one

C4IGrant
10-10-11, 13:15
Looks good. It would appear that it is the "FIX" or updated version for the TX30.

I like the dot size and the fact that they are using a bobro mount! Winning! :D

C4

Magic_Salad0892
10-10-11, 13:19
I can't watch YouTube videos at work.

Can somebody give me a rundown on what this scope offers?

C4IGrant
10-10-11, 13:39
I can't watch YouTube videos at work.

Can somebody give me a rundown on what this scope offers?

http://defensenews.com/blogs/ausa/2011/10/10/trijicon-srs-the-evolution-of-the-red-dot/

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/trijicon-srs/100611odtrijiconsrs01.jpg

Magic_Salad0892
10-10-11, 13:43
Wow.

That's cool.

If I was a red dot user, I'd consider it over an Aimpoint.

Which means, if I get an SCW when they come out (I'll be buying from Grant. :D) this'll definitely be an option.

I like the solar panel thing.

Hopefully more people can review this thing.

Is there anything else that stacks it over the Aimpoint (M4S, or T1)...?

C4IGrant
10-10-11, 13:45
Wow.

That's cool.

If I was a red dot user, I'd consider it over an Aimpoint.

Which means, if I get an SCW when they come out (I'll be buying from Grant. :D) this'll definitely be an option.

I like the solar panel thing.

Hopefully more people can review this thing.

I am working on what my price will be on this and and as soon as I know anything, I will post it.

Trijicon will most likely take orders at Shot for it.

C4

Tomac
10-10-11, 13:57
Wow.

Shorter OAL than the M4S, 38mm FOV through the optic's greater than through a 30mm Aimpoint and much greater than through a 20mm Micro.
This is very interesting, I hope it's both affordable and rugged.
Tomac

C4IGrant
10-10-11, 14:05
Shorter OAL than the M4S, 38mm FOV through the optic's greater than through a 30mm Aimpoint and much greater than through a 20mm Micro.
This is very interesting, I hope it's both affordable and rugged.
Tomac

My guess is that there is little to no electronics in it to break so it will be durable.

If Trijicon is going after the M4 (with a MAP of $774), then my guess is that they will be around that.

The TX30 had a MAP of $676 so I bet it will be between this number and the $774 price.

C4

Magic_Salad0892
10-10-11, 14:13
I wonder if they'll produce a magnifier for it.

A 4X flip magnifier with BDC hash marks calibrated the 14.5'' gun with M855 etched in would be sweet.

And would retain the usability of the red dot without the EOTech method of having 4 illuminated distracting dots on one sight picture.

BTW: That's a great FOV. FWIW, I used to own an Aimpoint M4S, and I was still impressed with that.

I look forward to reports. I'm excited about it. Combined with all the cool information Grant's been giving us about Colt lately. 2012 should be a cool year.

Doc Safari
10-10-11, 14:30
I am working on what my price will be on this and and as soon as I know anything, I will post it.

Trijicon will most likely take orders at Shot for it.

C4

So the waiting game begins. You know everybody and their dog will want one and they will be backordered for months.

Will you be accepting pre-orders?

C4IGrant
10-10-11, 15:32
So the waiting game begins. You know everybody and their dog will want one and they will be backordered for months.

Will you be accepting pre-orders?

We always accept BO's and typically order the FIRST DAY possible for things like this (which is usually at Shot Show).

C4

Doc Safari
10-10-11, 15:58
We always accept BO's and typically order the FIRST DAY possible for things like this (which is usually at Shot Show).

C4

You'll post the price in this thread, right?

I've been back and forth between the Aimpoint CompM4S which requires a battery, and the Trijicon TR24 which does not, so this may be the compromise I'm looking for. I'd kind of rather read a "field" review first but being that this is new if I don't like it I suspect I'd have no trouble selling it.

just a scout
10-10-11, 16:33
I want one. Bad. Willing to drink to drink fresh goat milk out of a baby bottle to get one too.:moil:

Singlestack Wonder
10-10-11, 19:00
Now if they would release the 1-6x24 Accupoint with BDC!

ICANHITHIMMAN
10-10-11, 20:29
I want one but Im the type that likes to wait and see what brakes and then get it after they work the bugs out

C4IGrant
10-10-11, 20:31
I want one but Im the type that likes to wait and see what brakes and then get it after they work the bugs out

To my knowledge, Trijicon doesn't release and then release products (because there is an issue).

C4

ICANHITHIMMAN
10-10-11, 21:13
To my knowledge, Trijicon doesn't release and then release products (because there is an issue).

C4

I guess what I ment was like the issues they had with the tri power. Do you know what I mean?

misanthropist
10-10-11, 21:15

I'll even take a 1-4 with a BDC...but a 1-6 would be pretty sweet.

Skang
10-10-11, 21:31
Little late to the market, but very well done.

I am also waiting for new Accupoint. :D

vicious_cb
10-11-11, 04:14
Its important to ask, what does this offer over the proven T-1? Im all for going green but a solar powered optic is alittle excessive when your battery lasts 4-5 years.

Belloc
10-11-11, 04:41
Edit.

rob_s
10-11-11, 04:56

C4

Tripower?

Adam_s
10-11-11, 07:09
One thing I noticed in other articles is that the mount it comes with is a Bobro one. This means you don't have to spend the money to buy the optic, and then the mount as well...

I'll keep one eye on this. Interested to see how it stands up to other folks fiddling with it.
-Adam

mkmckinley
10-11-11, 07:52
For the love of God I hope this thing doesn't have auto shutoff.

zacbol
10-11-11, 08:22
Its important to ask, what does this offer over the proven T-1? Im all for going green but a solar powered optic is alittle excessive when your battery lasts 4-5 years.
I have to agree

"Proven mediocre technology over the promise of something better." I have been known to ignore this statement if I think something is substantively better (with the result usually being I get burned), but I don't see this offering any real capabilities above and beyond the proven Aimpoint.

It may be better in some way, until it's been out there a few years, that "better" can't offset the risk. I realize Trijicon doesn't bring stuff to market half-baked, but no company is perfect or infallible. That's just me, though.

Javelin
10-11-11, 08:34
Trijicon has really been innovative and this is nothing short of their past legacy. I am really excited to see the reviews as I may pick one up.

I am a big Trijicon Accupoint scope fan as well. Something about having a red dot that refuses to quit, ever, not even an EMP blast can stop it. That is what I think of when I envision a truly solid platform sight.

Good job Trijicon!

vicious_cb
10-11-11, 08:37
Trijicon has really been innovative and this is nothing short of their past legacy. I am really excited to see the reviews as I may pick one up.

I am a big Trijicon Accupoint scope fan as well. Something about having a red dot that refuses to quit, ever, not even an EMP blast can stop it. That is what I think of when I envision a truly solid platform sight.

Good job Trijicon!

Probably the last thing on my list when choosing an optic.

mkmckinley
10-11-11, 08:38
I'm interested to see, in person, what the "250% increased field of view" that Rob mentions in his video is all about. This is just conjecture after watching the video but it looks like this new optic but it looks like the SRS might have a more forgiving eye relief or whatever it's called in a 1 power optic. That could be valuable if you shoot from nonstandard positions. I won't be selling my Aimpoints but I might add an SRS if it turns out to be as durable as an Aimpoint. I like what you said about mediocre technology over the promise of something better. I would really like to know if the unit will function if the solar panel is damaged and the waterproof rating. I'm also interested in the auto brightness feature. If that's implemented well in could be a big selling point. When going from bright outdoors to dark indoors I hate having to remember to adjust my RDS and sometimes there isn't always time. Hopefully any auto brightness feature is fast enough to keep up with intermittent weaponlight use. Like you I don't have any complaints about my Aimpoints but change and options are good things. I hope Trijicon knocks it out of the park with this one.

ASH556
10-11-11, 09:00
Here's my question:

he keeps calling it a "reflex" sight in the video. In my understanding/lingo, a reflex sight has a single lens, and thus is more succeptable to parallax than a tube optic like an Aimpoint. Which is this?

C4IGrant
10-11-11, 09:01
I guess what I ment was like the issues they had with the tri power. Do you know what I mean?

Oh, ok. The TX30's main issue was short battery life. It worked though.

C4

C4IGrant
10-11-11, 09:02

Never needs a battery to run and bigger FOV are the two main ones.

C4

C4IGrant
10-11-11, 09:03
Tripower?

It worked (used to have one). While it did not perform as well as other optics in the market, it was still usable.

C4

Belloc
10-11-11, 09:05
Edit.

Doc Safari
10-11-11, 09:08
http://defensenews.com/blogs/ausa/2011/10/10/trijicon-srs-the-evolution-of-the-red-dot/

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/trijicon-srs/100611odtrijiconsrs01.jpg

I looked at this again and it makes no mention of being able to cowitness with the irons. That sight looks awful tall.... I know ACOGs and Accupoints don't either (unless I missed something), but that's what got me looking more into the Aimpoints.

I also reread some old threads where some people actually prefer a 4 MOA dot over a 2 MOA dot and this one is even smaller than that.

I may still buy another type of optic for immediate use and keep my eye on this one when it comes out. I don't mind a bit having a spare, but proven, optic just like I like to have a spare rifle.

I really really like the idea of the solar power during daylight, though.

C4IGrant
10-11-11, 09:09
I think he is referring to a very sudden redesign not long after the Tripower was released including the removal of the cyalume option and, IIFC the first model was made from hardened plastic.

Ah, ok. To be honest, I don't even remember that. :confused:

C4

rob_s
10-11-11, 09:11
I think he is referring to a very sudden redesign not long after the Tripower was released including the removal of the cyalume option and, IIFC the first model was made from hardened plastic.

Correct. Not sure how sudden it was. I think it was about a year. First one was definitely plastic and definitely had the min-lightstick option.

Singlestack Wonder
10-11-11, 09:16
Never needs a battery to run and bigger FOV are the two main ones.

C4

Never needs a battery UNLESS one is inside a dark area. ;)

chapperjoe
10-11-11, 09:26

this is a tritium free sight?

mkmckinley
10-11-11, 09:40
None of the reviews mention tritium.

mkmckinley
10-11-11, 09:41
Maybe someone with access to one of these sights can answer some of the questions people are having. Here's what's been brought up so far:

Do irons cowitness and if so are they usable through the SRS?

Does the SRS have more parallax than a Aimpoint-type RDS, ie does the POI shift significantly with the dot at the extremes of the FOV?

Does the solar panel have a way of storing energy so the sight still illuminates in darkness or does there have to be a constant light source to power the dot in the absence of battery power?

Is there any kind of auto-shutoff like in an Eotech or does it stay on until it's out of power like an Aimpoint?

How fast does the auto-brightness feature adjust itself when the ambient light drastically changes? Is it sensitive to light in front of the unit in an otherwise dark room, like when using a weaponlight?

Is it true 1X or 1.1X or something?

BrigandTwoFour
10-11-11, 10:15
I think it's kind of a cop out for some of you guys to say, "It doesn't do anything that the Aimpoint does't already do, so I'm not gonna bother."

We all know the Aimpoint is great, but I'm happy to see Trijicon throwing their hat into the powered red dot arena. I've always been a fan of their products. And the more options there are out there, then the better for all of us. I would say the same thing if Aimpoint decided to go head to head for something like an ACOG.

However, I am concerned about the longevity of the solar panel technology. Solar panels do have a gradual drop in power output over time (but I'm talking in the 20-25 year time frame).

I would have been very interested in some kind of fiber optic/battery combination. A battery powers a small LED that lights up a fiber optic, pretty much just like some people do with chemlights and duct tape on their ACOG. I suppose the trick is hiding the fiber optic glow when it's running on battery power (a la TX30).

I'll look forward to playing with this one if I can see it in person (not likely for a long time).

rob_s
10-11-11, 10:25
I think it's kind of a cop out for some of you guys to say, "It doesn't do anything that the Aimpoint does't already do, so I'm not gonna bother."

why is that a cop out?

If someone has thousands of rounds on a given system they are going to want to know what theoretical benefit the new system offers before (over?) spending on it.

It also tends to be a little bit of a knee-jerk reaction to some of the fawning, glowing praise for something that isn't even out yet. How is that also not a cop out? Why is a positive take on a fantasy product different than a negative one?

Singlestack Wonder
10-11-11, 10:38
On another note, wonder how the photo voltaic cells on top of the SRS would hold up during the DD Torture test that the Aimpoint T1 went thru?
Bottom line (in my opinion) is that the market battle for RDS sights was won by Aimpoint, period. They focused entirely on the red dot sight concept and didn't stray into other arenas such as multi zoom optics, etc. As a result, they have a product that is at the top in it's category, period. The SRS (in my opinion) does not introduce any new breakthru technology or as a product, does not fill a market need that exists. In regards to photo voltaic cells, Zeiss has used them for years on their dot/reflex sight.

YMMV

zacbol
10-11-11, 11:09
I like what you said about mediocre technology over the promise of something better.
It's one of my favorite quotes, stolen shamelessly from the same person that provided my sig, Mike Shertz. He's a former 18D, chief medical officer for Washington County SWAT in Oregon, and one of the most impressive individuals I've ever met in my life. I seem to recall you having met and/or trained with some of the Insights folks so maybe you already know him as he's an instructor for a few of their classes.

C4IGrant
10-11-11, 11:18

True. Most people never shoot in the dark though. 99% of the optics use is during daylight hours.

C4

caporider
10-11-11, 11:21
I'd like to know if the solar panel will power the red dot under shade, or if it needs direct sunlight.

The Trijicon Web site says the SRS is waterproof to 50 meters.

BrigandTwoFour
10-11-11, 11:22
Perhaps cop-out was the wrong phrase.

The point I was trying to make is that to immediately write the new product off as "not an Aimpoint" seems irrational. It happens over and over again, especially in the gun world- how many times have you seen "Not a 1911" pop up when a new pistol comes out? Aimpoint is a fantastic product, no doubting that, but who says a little competition is a bad thing?

If you're already heavily invested into the Aimpoint flavor with thousands of rounds and dollars spent on the product, then sure, this probably isn't enough to make you switch. But what about someone who is building their first gun and wants to look into optics? They're not invested in anything and aren't battling the "is it better than what I have" question.

To me, much of this discussion is exactly what you've talked about before, Rob, where people vehemently defend their own past decisions without really weighing what might better serve them, or someone else, because that would indicate that maybe they were wrong. Given, running an Aimpoint is not the same as running a "just as good as" gun, but the principal is similar.

All that said, I'll hold judgement until it actually gets into people's hands.

rob_s
10-11-11, 12:19
Perhaps cop-out was the wrong phrase.

The point I was trying to make is that to immediately write the new product off as "not an Aimpoint" seems irrational. It happens over and over again, especially in the gun world- how many times have you seen "Not a 1911" pop up when a new pistol comes out? Aimpoint is a fantastic product, no doubting that, but who says a little competition is a bad thing?

If you're already heavily invested into the Aimpoint flavor with thousands of rounds and dollars spent on the product, then sure, this probably isn't enough to make you switch. But what about someone who is building their first gun and wants to look into optics? They're not invested in anything and aren't battling the "is it better than what I have" question.

To me, much of this discussion is exactly what you've talked about before, Rob, where people vehemently defend their own past decisions without really weighing what might better serve them, or someone else, because that would indicate that maybe they were wrong. Given, running an Aimpoint is not the same as running a "just as good as" gun, but the principal is similar.

All that said, I'll hold judgement until it actually gets into people's hands.

and my point is that, conversely, how often do you see guys jizzing themselves over something they've only ever seen a picture of, and how is that any different? Christ, when the Masada was the hot shit topic on the forums guys were practically falling all over each other to sing it's praises without ever even having touched one.

Magic_Salad0892
10-11-11, 12:45
Christ, when the Masada was the hot shit topic on the forums guys were practically falling all over each other to sing it's praises without ever even having touched one.

That's retarded. I remember that actually, on the ARFCom boards.

If you thought it was bad here, dude?

Let's rewind to 2007...

''Dude, if only they could contract a real manufacturer to make it. Like Bushmaster, or Olympic Arms.''

That guy got his wish...

BrigandTwoFour
10-11-11, 12:53
and my point is that, conversely, how often do you see guys jizzing themselves over something they've only ever seen a picture of, and how is that any different? Christ, when the Masada was the hot shit topic on the forums guys were practically falling all over each other to sing it's praises without ever even having touched one.

I got'cha. Blind worship of something new is not any better than blind denial.

The Masada is a very salient example.

Still, given the positive experiences I've had with Trijicon's optics, I'm inclined to think that this will end up being a great product, worthy of consideration for a primary optic.

Belloc
10-11-11, 14:10
Edit.

TOrrock
10-11-11, 14:15
Looks like they designed it so the glass is the exact same height as the Aimpoint. So whatever co-witness irons work for the Aimpoint should work for this.
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/trijicon-srs/100611odtrijiconsrs19.jpg

Thanks for posting that pic, it puts things in perspective much better than just seeing the site mounted on a rifle, where it looked awfully bulky.

I'm interested, but I'll let someone else be the beta-testers.

Magic_Salad0892
10-11-11, 14:17
Thanks for posting that pic, it puts things in perspective much better than just seeing the site mounted on a rifle, where it looked awfully bulky.

If I get a Colt SCW, then I'll be a beta tester.

Belloc
10-11-11, 14:23
Edit.

Magic_Salad0892
10-11-11, 14:24
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/trijicon-srs/100611odtrijiconsrs14.jpg

More pics here: http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/10/10/trijicon-srs-the-evolution-of-the-red-dot/#more

Wow. That seems really nice actually.

Belloc
10-11-11, 14:34
Edit.

Doc Safari
10-11-11, 14:45

Yes, thanks for the pic.

Templar, you just uttered the magic word: beta testers.

I think I will let someone else be the guinea pig at least until we know if there are any bugs that need to be worked out.

ICANHITHIMMAN
10-11-11, 14:58
beta tester thats what I'm saying I will wait. Typicaly beta testers have lots of money to burn through I dont. I do love the size, right when this came up last night I looked all over trijicons page there was no info.

sirgilligan
10-11-11, 20:39
Do you think the clones/fakes/counterfeits will come out before Shot Show? :blink:

Alaskapopo
10-11-11, 21:44

You beat me too it. We have plenty of reflex/red dots on the market, who needs another one.
Pat

ICANHITHIMMAN
10-12-11, 09:22
Do you think the clones/fakes/counterfeits will come out before Shot Show? :blink:

What the hell kind of question is this?

sirgilligan
10-12-11, 10:14
What the hell kind of question is this?

What the hell kind of question is that? :confused:

Mine is a rhetorical question.

I am shopping for a red dot sight and found one online that the price seemed to good to be true. So I did some research and found out that there are fakes out there and that they are hard to tell from the real thing.

Is there always someone waiting to jump on the new guy? Hint, this is rhetorical too.

Mak8080
10-12-11, 11:11
Great read! I'll be interested to see what actual/beta users feedback. I'm a bit scared to find out what the street price will be. Considering Trijicon raises their price during Shot the past year or so. Now only if there was a 1-6 Accupoint.....:D

C4IGrant
10-12-11, 11:52
Talked to my Trijicon rep, no pricing info yet.

The SRS is now up on the Trijicon website: https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/community/whats_new_item.php?whats_newID=news_99

C4

JSantoro
10-12-11, 12:00
Is there always someone waiting to jump on the new guy? Hint, this is rhetorical too.

I'm responding to it, anyway, and here's another hint: there's always somebody waiting to jump on the guy assing up a thread.

Kindly note that "new" has little to nothing to do with it. Don't try to play the post-count card, it's not a factor.

And now, for the other shoe: the Report Post button is --->
thataway, for those instances in which one might want to report somebody who wants to bring up knockoffs and clones that isn't in a "hey, avoid THIS thing...!" format.

C4IGrant
10-12-11, 12:08
I am shopping for a red dot sight and found one online that the price seemed to good to be true. So I did some research and found out that there are fakes out there and that they are hard to tell from the real thing.

There is a really simple way to avoid fakes. Buy from a known and trusted source.

If you go to most optic companies websites, you will see a list of their dealers (or at least the ones that buy directly like us).

Scroll down to see us listed:

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/dealers/dealer_results.php?stateID=36

C4

sirgilligan
10-12-11, 14:55
There is a really simple way to avoid fakes. Buy from a known and trusted source.

If you go to most optic companies websites, you will see a list of their dealers (or at least the ones that buy directly like us).

Scroll down to see us listed:

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/dealers/dealer_results.php?stateID=36

C4

Thank you for your response.

I had no idea until three days ago the trouble with fakes. Now I am afraid of a good deal. A family member almost got stuck with a fake, don't remember if he said Aimpoint or Trijicon, the seller was surprised as well and took it back with no hassle. So I do some searching and find all kinds of photos and references to them.

I am just a Kentucky kid raised on a farm, when when you respond to me with "what the hell" and "ass" those are accusatory terms and frankly I don't take it well.

My point, that was missed, is the crooks that make fakes are probably already on this one too.

The optic looks great and Trijicon is a valued company that has produced gear that has protected my family members in the military. I am glad they are pushing the technology and improving abilities. The solar power is wonderful.

Belloc
10-12-11, 15:26
Edit.

VIP3R 237
10-12-11, 15:37
The solar cell reminds me of the zeiss z-point rds.

C4IGrant
10-12-11, 15:47
Here is the spec sheet: http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Trijicon/Spec%20Sheet%20SRS.pdf

C4

Belmont31R
10-12-11, 15:50
No auto off is nice.

556Cliff
10-12-11, 15:55
Here is the spec sheet: http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Trijicon/Spec%20Sheet%20SRS.pdf

C4

What is mounted on the .50 cal in Grant's link?

Belloc
10-12-11, 16:11
Edit.

C4IGrant
10-12-11, 16:17
No auto off is nice.

Agree. I hate that "feature."

C4

bp7178
10-12-11, 16:36

Lasts 4-5 years on a certian power setting. If the knob is spun to the maximum setting, the battery life is drastically reduced.

Adding solar technology to keep the illumination going is a very intresting concept.

How bad ass would a 1-6 Accupoint with a ACOG like reticle and a solar cell be.....

Romanov
10-12-11, 18:09
Pricing might be the make or break for the SRS. It has a lot of great features and interesting tech integrated into it (as do most Trijicon products), but I'm assuming all of that comes with a price attached.

VIP3R 237
10-13-11, 01:03
Pricing might be the make or break for the SRS. It has a lot of great features and interesting tech integrated into it (as do most Trijicon products), but I'm assuming all of that comes with a price attached.

I think your right on this. If the retail is $1000 + I don't see many choosing this over an aimpoint for less. I do like the batteryless ambient light function though.

C4IGrant
10-13-11, 08:12
I think your right on this. If the retail is $1000 + I don't see many choosing this over an aimpoint for less. I do like the batteryless ambient light function though.

Most no one ever pays retail on Trijicon products.

My guess is that its MAP price will be around that of the Aimpoint M4.

C4

VIP3R 237
10-13-11, 10:43
To
Most no one ever pays retail on Trijicon products.

My guess is that its MAP price will be around that of the Aimpoint M4.

C4

Once again grant you are correct. I just read on the gearscout blog that trijicon is saying the msrp will be well below $1000. I cant wait to get my hands on one.

armakraut
10-13-11, 16:54
I'd be interested if the solar cell still powered the sight under shade or indoors.

Alaskapopo
10-13-11, 18:16
I'd be interested if the solar cell still powered the sight under shade or indoors.

Umm the sun does not shine indoors so a solar cell would not :suicide2:

Belloc
10-13-11, 18:37
Edit.

Skang
10-13-11, 18:39
If it's around 500-600 range, worth trying. Otherwise, Ill pass. :D

Steve
10-13-11, 20:33
I have shot this optic its very nice indeed

Im looking to it on my guns for some long term testing very soon

the whole line up coming from trijicon is going to be amazing items

Horsehide
10-13-11, 20:43
I can hardly wait for this optic to hit the shelves so dirt cheap "obsolete" M2s and M3s will be available.
The included Bobro mount is a big plus though...

Roodoodog
10-14-11, 03:45
Yep looking forward to this. Hopefully they try to be competitive with Aimpoints at the very least. The "under $1000" seems pretty vague.

C4IGrant
10-14-11, 08:52
I have shot this optic its very nice indeed

Im looking to it on my guns for some long term testing very soon

the whole line up coming from trijicon is going to be amazing items

Ya, I have heard that there are some cool new Accupoints coming.

C4

Doc Safari
10-14-11, 09:19

C4

Can you elaborate?

C4IGrant
10-14-11, 09:26
Can you elaborate?

Not at this time.

C4

Steve
10-14-11, 11:01

C4

Maybe ................LOL

bnanaphone
10-14-11, 14:02
Arg. I have been hearing about some "amazing" new Accupoints coming since last SHOT...... Looking forward to their new products, the new optic in this thread is very interesting. I also have a fondness for the Bobro mounts.

WS6
10-14-11, 23:34

Where did it say it would work sans battery? Everything I have read leads me to think the solar panel is supplemental, not possibly independent.

VIP3R 237
10-14-11, 23:52
Where did it say it would work sans battery? Everything I have read leads me to think the solar panel is supplemental, not possibly independent.

There is a video on the gearscout write up which shows specifically the srs running without a battery. I would post a link but I'm on my phone. just google trijicon srs.

WS6
10-15-11, 01:39
Very nice! Any word yet if larue will make a mount? I'm not into bobro.

Belloc
10-15-11, 02:09
Edit.

Belloc
10-15-11, 03:33
Edit.

masakari
10-15-11, 07:29
This is cool, but I really like the newer Reflexes, I thought they were an awesome design.

ICANHITHIMMAN
10-15-11, 07:46

Thats to bad Andrew Barbro jumped through hoops to make my SN4 fit in his SPR mount. Its a great system and I own both of the two we are speeking of. Im sure larue will but maybe not if it already comes with the Barbro will see.

WS6
10-15-11, 08:06
Thats to bad Andrew Barbro jumped through hoops to make my SN4 fit in his SPR mount. Its a great system and I own both of the two we are speeking of. Im sure larue will but maybe not if it already comes with the Barbro will see.

I have read about Bobro's mounts and they seem to have good reviews. I have LaRue stuff, nothing from Bobro. I would be willing to give Bobro a shot if I could replace it with LaRue if it did not function as well as LaRue's.

jmart
10-15-11, 10:34
All the questions about the solar cell working indoors, it seems to me that the unit's primary source is solar. If that comes up short, it taps into the battery for whatever it needs. It's almost like the Prius of optics.

I do wonder what the battery life would be if left on and stored in a dark case so it was instantly ready. Then it would be pulling from just the battery and life would be less I would think. Or just store it powered off and go through the motions of powering it on when removing from trunk/case.

WS6
10-16-11, 20:29
Aside from the cdi factor of the solar panel and the fact that a nice mount is included, is this really superior to the m4s?

Tomac
10-16-11, 20:36
Aside from the cdi factor of the solar panel and the fact that a nice mount is included, is this really superior to the m4s?

Probably not. The daylight batteryless capability is interesting but not critical in light of Aimpoint battery life but FOV through the optic might be more important to some.
I'd like to check one out just out of curiosity but I don't expect it to be an "Aimpoint killer".
Tomac

ScottsBad
10-16-11, 20:44

Amen, I sent Trijicon a letter begging for it! At least give us a 1-6X. Please.

ScottsBad
10-16-11, 20:46
Little late to the market, but very well done.

I am also waiting for new Accupoint. :D

I'd rather support an American company like Trijicon.

ScottsBad
10-16-11, 21:17

C4

I gotta say I'm really kinda impressed with the specs. And the price doesn't sound so bad relative to a M4, especially when you get the excellent Bobro mount.

Only things I wish it had.
1. CR123 battery (or two) instead of an AA, CR123s have a longer shelf life and are more robust in the cold.
2. I miss the Tritium as a backup.
3. I wish we could put in a rechargeable battery so the solar keeps the charge up, but that's probably too much to ask.

WS6
10-16-11, 23:36
I gotta say I'm really kinda impressed with the specs. And the price doesn't sound so bad relative to a M4, especially when you get the excellent Bobro mount.

1. CR123 battery (or two) instead of an AA, CR123s have a longer shelf life and are more robust in the cold.
3. I wish we could put in a rechargeable battery so the solar keeps the charge up, but that's probably too much to ask.

Negative on #1. Google energizer L91. it is lithium just like a cr123 so leaking and cold weather are similarly non problematic, it is rated at 3,000mah (compared to 1600mah or so of the best cr123's), and it has a listed shelf life of 15 years. It is superior to the cr123 in every way provided that the voltage is adequate, which for an rds, it is.

VIP3R 237
10-16-11, 23:52
Aimpoint killer, probably not but im sure it will be a top quality option with some innovative features. After all competition is good for everyone and i'll probably pick one up next year and see how i like it.

Belloc
10-17-11, 01:30
Edit.

C4IGrant
10-17-11, 08:36

1. Remember that big Army uses a lot of AA batts. So that is why.
2. Agree, but it does little to help when shooting in close quarters with a SUPER bright light.
3. Not a bad idea, but my guess is that all the solars capability is being used to fuel the dot.

C4

WS6
10-17-11, 08:52
1. Remember that big Army uses a lot of AA batts. So that is why. The AA battery is superior to the CR123A at the 1.5V level with this low of a power draw.
2. Agree, but it does little to help when shooting in close quarters with a SUPER bright light. It does little to help at night unless your eyes are well adjusted, if the ACOG is any indicator. Definitely NOT what you want for a quick-pick up RDS dot.
3. Not a bad idea, but my guess is that all the solars capability is being used to fuel the dot. I saw them firing it on an overcast looking day in one of the videos sans battery, I was impressed!

C4

My .02 having never fondled the SRS.

ScottsBad
10-17-11, 11:05
Accupoints are Trijicon.

Maybe you misunderstood me or I left the wrong impression, I own two Accupoints and am quite aware they are made by Trijicon.

I meant I'd rather have a Trijicon than an Aimpoint if they were roughly equal.

Using the quote button messes me up sometimes, because it doesn't pick up the quotes in the quotes, if you know what I mean.

Let me clean this up too: I own Aimpoint too, but I just like the idea of buying a good American made product and we all can appreciate the need to support American businesses right now. I'm just saying some folks should give Trijicon the benefit of the doubt before throwing up all over their new effort. They generally make very good equipment, much of it designed to keep our soldiers alive.

ScottsBad
10-17-11, 11:37
Negative on #1. Google energizer L91. it is lithium just like a cr123 so leaking and cold weather are similarly non problematic, it is rated at 3,000mah (compared to 1600mah or so of the best cr123's), and it has a listed shelf life of 15 years. It is superior to the cr123 in every way provided that the voltage is adequate, which for an rds, it is.

Yeah, well I'm not going to argue with you, it is just my preference because my lights use CR123. So I don't want to carry two types of battery. Also, you can fit 2 CR123s in the space of an AA, so from a space perspective it's really 3200mah compared to 3000mah.

From an engineering point of view a AA battery IS more appropiate for a low current drawing device like the Trijicon SRS. Where the CR123 is better for high current drawing devices such as LED flashlights (they run at 3V instead if 1.5V).

But I just want to carry one stinking battery, and I want to stock up on one battery, so give me something that will work in high performance lights, night vision, and optics.

WS6
10-17-11, 11:38
Yeah, well I'm not going to argue with you, it is just my preference because my lights use CR123. So I don't want to carry two types of battery. Also, you can fit 2 CR123s in the space of an AA, so from a space perspective it's really 3200mah compared to 3000mah.

From an engineering point of view a AA battery IS more appropiate for a low current drawing device like the Trijicon SRS. Where the CR123 is better for high current drawing devices such as LED flashlights (they run at 3V instead if 1.5V).

But I just want to carry one stinking battery, and I want to stock up on one battery, so give me something that will work in high performance lights, night vision, and optics.

There are now quite bright LED lights that will accept AA batteries, if that helps your cause any. I understand what you mean. However, as you noted, AA's are not well suited to higher drain applications as well as the CR123's.

C4IGrant
10-17-11, 11:54

Most electronic hearing protection uses AA batts (as does a lot of NV).

C4

ScottsBad
10-17-11, 11:58

OOPS, this is kind of a duplication, but I didn't finish my thoughts before the computer crapped out, so...

Yeah, I'm not going to argue with you, it is just my preference because my lights use CR123. So I don't want to carry two types of battery. Also, you can fit 2 CR123s in the space of an AA, so from a space perspective it's really 3100 or 3200mah compared to 2900 or 3000mah.

From an engineering point of view a AA battery IS more appropiate for a low current drawing device like the Trijicon SRS. Where the CR123 is better for high current drawing devices such as high performance LED flashlights (they run at 3V instead if 1.5V and are better able to put out amazing current). But you are right there definite advantages for commonality I guess.

So, maybe I'll have to ditch my good lights for inferior lights just so I can go all AA now, and change out my EOTech, for the SRS. Arggg! Oh, good at least I can keep my NF, and the T-1 I just bought. Oh, h3ll I'll probably have to stock three battery types, I refuse to give up my 350 lumen lights.

I hate it when you guys are right...it always costs me money. LOL. Anything else you want to do today to reduce my bank account?

BTW C4 - You are correct I'm just b!tching, so just try to ignore my rants I guess. I will say that I keep Surefire ear plugs for the disaster scenario I'm staying prepared for, not my Peltor Tacticals. I can't see packing them in a bug-out bag. Or am I wrong about that too. ;-)

WS6
10-17-11, 12:19
Just order a couple of L91's, it's not like you need to replace them every year. Good idea, but not mandatory.

ScottsBad
10-17-11, 12:54
There are now quite bright LED lights that will accept AA batteries, if that helps your cause any. I understand what you mean. However, as you noted, AA's are not well suited to higher drain applications as well as the CR123's.

Yes, they are getting better, but they are roughly 10 to 15% less bright in AA. And, so for now I'll stick with CR123s for the critical lights. I do own a couple AA tactical lights for use when walking the dog.

This is what I love about this forum, there are a lot of smart people with very strong opinions that can make me think about things diferrently.

But, not on this issue (for now).

Thanks

ScottsBad
10-17-11, 12:57
Just order a couple of L91's, it's not like you need to replace them every year. Good idea, but not mandatory.

I was just kdding, but I will order some L91 batts from BatteryJunction and see how hard it is to kill them... Watch out batteries!

Thanks.

WS6
10-17-11, 13:05
350 lumens on CR123's? Need 500-600+ OTF to really begin taking advantage of the Duracell Ultra's in a 6P. :p

Belloc
10-17-11, 13:33
Edit.

ScottsBad
10-17-11, 13:35
My .02 having never fondled the SRS.

OK,
1. You made a good point.

2. No, we are talking about a backup, no reasonably sized tritium light will work by itself against a very bright light, the only backup that will work for that is a reticle etched or otherwise which will appear black, but that would defeat the purpose for this type of sight.

I'm talking about having a tritium light for very low light or dark when there is not enough ambient light to drive the solar, and the battery is dead. Having even a faint dot would be nice. Probably not worth the cost and engineering.

3. Number 2 would be almost unnecessary if the battery could regenerate itself, for instance if the sight were designed like the Leupold VXR where after some period of time if no movement were detected the led would shut off. Trijicon SRS could then switch the solar to charge the battery. Any movement would instantaneously, turn the charging off and the led back on. You are talking about milliseconds.

OK, this is all about electronics, so maybe they decided that the current generated from the solar was inadequate to charge the battery and/or the added electronics would make the unit less reliable. But I can go down to Home Depot and buy a $4 solar light to stick in my lawn that will run quite awhile on battery power received during the day from the tiny solar panel on top of it. And I bet dollars to doughnuts that the led in the lawn light uses more energy than the LED in the SRS.

Then again, they probably decided that most soldiers will be able to find a new battery. LOL.

Just saying...

ScottsBad
10-17-11, 13:57
I hear what you're saying, I just picked up my first Acog and think it's a great optic. I also have purchased 4 T1s from G&R Tactical. All of those purchases benefited Americans and American business.

When this sight comes out I will give it a serious look, and I'm very interested to eventually see what all these rumors are about with new products and innovations coming from Trijicon in the near future. If this optic has its sights (apologies) on the M4, has Trijicon also something targeting the T1?

Very good point about supporting American small business, and I don't mean to pound on it because I also believe that in the marketplace the best product should win, however I frequently hear folks defending past decisions by berating new products. At least that is how it sounds to me. Personally, I just get pissed that I don't have the coolest thing anymore (This is why Apple sells so many iPhones.)

Then again, at some point you have to ask yourself and I have to ask myself, "How much better can it be?" "I've already got great gear, this new thing might be slightly better (unproved), but its not gonna make that much difference." "It's not going to make my stuff obsolete, it just moves things forward." "And when I feel like I want to replace what I've got I know that great equipment holds it value."

Anyway, I try to look at the positives of any new stuff that comes out and know that it just pushes competition and makes everything better, faster, and sometimes cheaper.

caporider
10-17-11, 14:33
I hear what you're saying, I just picked up my first Acog and think it's a great optic. I also have purchased 4 T1s from G&R Tactical. All of those purchases benefited Americans and American business.

When this sight comes out I will give it a serious look, and I'm very interested to eventually see what all these rumors are about with new products and innovations coming from Trijicon in the near future. If this optic has its sights (apologies) on the M4, has Trijicon also something targeting the T1?

Isn't Aimpoint a Swedish company...?

5pins
10-17-11, 19:06
Aren’t the Accupoints made in Japan?

C4IGrant
10-18-11, 16:07
Aren’t the Accupoints made in Japan?

No. I do believe that they get their glass from Japan though (as do many companies).

C4

Belloc
10-18-11, 16:36
Edit.

TAZ
10-19-11, 14:16
I do wonder what the battery life would be if left on and stored in a dark case so it was instantly ready. Then it would be pulling from just the battery and life would be less I would think. Or just store it powered off and go through the motions of powering it on when removing from trunk/case.

This is what came to my mind as being a concern. I live that my aimpoints can be put in the safe or dark closed while on and they will be good to go without any worry. If this can do the same it will give aimpoint a run. If they price it in the same league as an M4 I'm not sure they'll get much movement. Why go away form a well proven design to an unknown of the same price point? Not that Trijicon puts out crap at al, but they have little track record in the RDS arena. Put it into the $100 or so less than the M4 closer to the M3 series and it'll entice people to switch.

Count me as another who wants an accupoint with better reticle choices. 1-4; 1-6 whatever it takes.

CoryCop25
10-19-11, 14:37
I am surprised no one has mentioned the weight. 13+ ounces with battery and mount. It may be in the realm of the M4 but not the micro. Don't get me wrong, I like it but like someone stated before, what does it bring to the market that other RDS don't already have?

WS6
10-20-11, 20:20
I don't care where a product is made. If its the best and its American, I buy it and am glad. If its the best and is Swedish, I buy it and hope that the American manufacturers will one day earn my business back. I believe this leads to greatness of our nation. Not just buying whatever because its "patriotic". I'm not a fan of affirmative action of any sort.

All that said, I think the main thing this SRS stands to offer is a better fov and less tube effect.

sinlessorrow
11-10-11, 23:57
would the aimpoing 3x magnifier work with this optic?

sammage
11-11-11, 08:34
would the aimpoing 3x magnifier work with this optic?

As long as the mount lined up.

C4IGrant
11-11-11, 15:28
Just got pricing info!

There will be two models. One with a screw on mount (much like their other factory mounts with the big thumb screws) and the one with the Bobro QD.

The thumb screw mount is SRS101 MAP $841.50.

The QD model is SRS102 MAP $913.75.

C4

sinlessorrow
11-11-11, 19:08
Just got pricing info!

There will be two models. One with a screw on mount (much like their other factory mounts with the big thumb screws) and the one with the Bobro QD.

The thumb screw mount is SRS101 MAP $841.50.

The QD model is SRS102 MAP $913.75.

l

C4

ooks like i got some saving to do, do you know if either mounts is 1/3 or complete cowitness?

C4IGrant
11-11-11, 19:24
ooks like i got some saving to do, do you know if either mounts is 1/3 or complete cowitness?

No idea.

We will offer member discounts on them if interested.

C4

Tomac
11-11-11, 19:30

Based upon the comparative pics posted earlier, it looks like the Bobro mount is a 1/3 cowitness.
Tomac

armakraut
11-11-11, 21:48
For that price it better work at least as good as a solar powered calculator indoors.

sinlessorrow
11-11-11, 22:35
No idea.

We will offer member discounts on them if interested.

C4

you know it, hopefully ill have the funds when they start shipping them, but i will def be getting one

Iraq Ninja
11-12-11, 20:07
I got to play with the SRS today at the LaRue Range day. My main question was how the dot looked, since Aimpoints dots are never "clean" with my astigmatism.

The dot reminded me of an Aimpoint, and not an ACOG. It was better, but not 100% perfect. Field of view is very very good. It optic is chunky, but acceptable.

Compared to the Comp M4, it is a serious contender. I intend to buy one.

lethal dose
11-12-11, 21:24
For those wondering what this will offer over an M4... let it be put through its paces. If it ends up holding up to the rigors, consider it another tool in the box. If it turns out to be like all other trijicon products, it will be of the utmost quality.

Magic_Salad0892
11-13-11, 06:34
When the SCW is released mine will wear ether this or a T1.

However... I'm trying to figure out what void a SCW will fill for me.

ForTehNguyen
11-13-11, 08:40
it looks like it combines the advantages of both the eotech and aimpoints into a single optic. Was hoping it would've been a bit cheaper. I was expecting $750 max

Adam_s
11-13-11, 09:40
The GOOD news is that those are MSRP prices, which likely means we'll be able to get them for cheaper than that (fingers crossed). Just a question of HOW much cheaper

Dionysusigma
11-13-11, 15:48
I thought MAP = Minimum Advertised Price, meaning that's the least expensive that Trijicon will allow them to be priced at, short of a "Call Us for Pricing" sort of thing. :confused:

C4IGrant
11-13-11, 15:51
I thought MAP = Minimum Advertised Price, meaning that's the least expensive that Trijicon will allow them to be priced at, short of a "Call Us for Pricing" sort of thing. :confused:

That is correct.

Trijicon has the following price structure on the SRS102:

RETAIL: $1075
MAP: $913.75
Dealer: $
Master Distributor: $

We will be offering M4C members special pricing on them.

C4

sinlessorrow
11-13-11, 22:16
That is correct.

Trijicon has the following price structure on the SRS102:

RETAIL: $1075
MAP: $913.75
Dealer: $
Master Distributor: $

We will be offering M4C members special pricing on them.

C4

you guys rock, this is the trijicon sight ive always wanted, and i will def be buying from yall when funds allow

jonconsiglio
12-30-11, 10:49
Will there be a mini model of this? Only reason I ask is if you look at the spec sheet, there's one piggybacked on an ACOG that appears to be the same type of optic but possibly smaller. Then again, that's one of the large ACOGs (6x48?), so maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me since it's reduced size compared to the others.

EDIT - I see this was kind of referred to a few pages back.

TurretGunner
12-30-11, 11:15

Why? Fanboy?

TurretGunner
12-30-11, 11:27
Looks like a great product. There are some things I would have done different, but There is no way in hell im shelling out $700+ for a Red dot. Or even $400+. ITS A RDS. One of the simplest optics to make.

Aimpoint pretty much has had a monopoly on them for 15 years. I have had a M2 for about 6 years now and I still use it on my main carbine. Had an ACOG before that, but sold it. I will not pay 500+ for a micro aimpoint and sure as hell wont pay more for a m4. Its rediculous. Now were looking at $7-800 for a 1x red dot. That is INSANE. Does not need a solar pannel. If anything the tech should have been getting cheaper over the years. What complicated electronics are in this. They can build a Xbox 360 with a computer in it for less than $200, but not an aluminum housing with 2 lesnes and a few electronics.

Its funny that people are willing to pay HUNDREDS more for a RDS that has a 5 year batterty life to save $.50 batteries. I would rather change them ever 6 months and save $400.

As long as fanboys will continue to buy these (the gov doesnt care what they cost,the taxpayer is the real looser in this deal. Look at what the DoD paid for each M68CCO) overpriced optics, we will never get a quality RDS that is not the same cost as a decent rifle.

jonconsiglio
01-02-12, 11:59
I have yet to see a cheap RDS that will hold a zero like an Aimpoint. I don't think fanboy is an appropriate term for those that need or even desire the best quality.

Steve
01-03-12, 07:58
Why? Fanboy?

No but since I have more actual rounds on one than anyone else and I can also say the marines expressed intrest in a different mount as well and I can factually tell you I have had an issue with mine in the current mount during a class in az.

Fanboy, no but since I'm over 6500 rounds now with no loss of zero on the optic and only one mount issue that required a bottle of water to fix I can the average user will be fine

I would rather have a larue

Steve
01-03-12, 08:05
Looks like a great product. There are some things I would have done different, but There is no way in hell im shelling out $700+ for a Red dot. Or even $400+. ITS A RDS. One of the simplest optics to make.

Aimpoint pretty much has had a monopoly on them for 15 years. I have had a M2 for about 6 years now and I still use it on my main carbine. Had an ACOG before that, but sold it. I will not pay 500+ for a micro aimpoint and sure as hell wont pay more for a m4. Its rediculous. Now were looking at $7-800 for a 1x red dot. That is INSANE. Does not need a solar pannel. If anything the tech should have been getting cheaper over the years. What complicated electronics are in this. They can build a Xbox 360 with a computer in it for less than $200, but not an aluminum housing with 2 lesnes and a few electronics.

Its funny that people are willing to pay HUNDREDS more for a RDS that has a 5 year batterty life to save $.50 batteries. I would rather change them ever 6 months and save $400.

As long as fanboys will continue to buy these (the gov doesnt care what they cost,the taxpayer is the real looser in this deal. Look at what the DoD paid for each M68CCO) overpriced optics, we will never get a quality RDS that is not the same cost as a decent rifle.

Since your so frugal and smart when you can get one to market with great battery life, hold a zero, be nv capable and can be blown up dragged behind trucks slam drop tested shot with a shotgun at your utg price point let us know

TurretGunner
01-03-12, 08:50
No but since I have more actual rounds on one than anyone else and I can also say the marines expressed intrest in a different mount as well and I can factually tell you I have had an issue with mine in the current mount during a class in az.

Fanboy, no but since I'm over 6500 rounds now with no loss of zero on the optic and only one mount issue that required a bottle of water to fix I can the average user will be fine

I would rather have a larue

The Bobro mount or the stnd screw on from Trijicon?

TurretGunner
01-03-12, 08:59
Since your so frugal and smart when you can get one to market with great battery life, hold a zero, be nv capable and can be blown up dragged behind trucks slam drop tested shot with a shotgun at your utg price point let us know

When I was an Armorer, I had a huge box of broken aimpoints and parts. Wana guess how many Acogs were in that box? Zero.

Aimpoint is not some miricle product. Yes they are well made but its a red dot in an aluminum housing. Your telling me a T1 is as expensive to make and sell as a Glock or 50" LCD Tv?

You are paying for marketing on a quality product, but one that is over 2x what it should cost. No one has made a cheaper one beacuse there is no market share. AP already has the Mil contracts and is embeded in the industry. What incentive is there for a company to spent 10 million in equipment and space to produce a product that sells for half as much. Its not like they are selling millions of these. Minus Marketing AP COGS is probally less than $100 per unit. They could drop the price, push the other competetor out of the market and raise the prices back up. Or they could say **** it, we already have the gov on the hook for $100+ Million in contracts and dont need the civilian side. They cant lower the price and still sell to the gov for inflated prices.

Gov contracts.... How do they work?

Robssrt-4
01-03-12, 09:08
it looks like it combines the advantages of both the eotech and aimpoints into a single optic. Was hoping it would've been a bit cheaper. I was expecting $750 max

^^^^ same here. would have expected the price to be alittle lower to compete with aimpoint and eotech. has anyone put these optics to the test yet.

JSantoro
01-03-12, 09:51
Gov contracts.... How do they work?

If you're gonna start pounding on that "lowest bidder" drum, just shut your sewer, right now. That's such a gross oversimplification of what actually happens, it defies description.

If you're not gonna do that, then okay, we'll play your little game....tell me, or somebody else that deals directly with procurement, how gov't contracts work. Answer your own question, since you're obviously dying to do so, but be ready to get treated like a goat carcass tossed in a school or pihrana if you're gonna base ANY argument you have off of the idea that "lowest bidder" is, in any way, a stand-alone consideration, particularly in terms of the primary tools of the GCE.

You didn't have boxes and boxes of broken ACOGs because it's not the go-to optic of the Army, or you ain't been around all that long, and merely think you have. You not seeing boxes and boxes of broken ANYthing simply speaks to limited experience and throughput on your part, not the absence of something being broken on the part of ANY item you care to mention in thes vein. You're no less a victim to your narrow frame of reference than any other blowhard we get running through here.

I'm about freaking sick of your over-willingness to take a giant dump on other members, for no palpable benefit or additive effect to the threads in which you participate. Bear in mind, that as free as you think you are to post whatever you want, in whatever form you want, there's others (with all sorts of extra little browser buttons...) that can shut you down or alter anything you have to say. It would be preferred if you'd take a step back from yourself for a moment, and put your :internetpenis: back in your pants. We don't need or want to see it.

So, here's your public, informal warning: Pump your brakes, both in general and with the "fanboy" and "cockfag" bullshit in particular.

Now.

Steve
01-03-12, 10:43
The Bobro mount or the stnd screw on from Trijicon?

Since your so up on things you should know that the SRS comes with a Bobro Mount......

TurretGunner
01-03-12, 10:57
If you're gonna start pounding on that "lowest bidder" drum, just shut your sewer, right now. That's such a gross oversimplification of what actually happens, it defies description.

If you're not gonna do that, then okay, we'll play your little game....tell me, or somebody else that deals directly with procurement, how gov't contracts work. Answer your own question, since you're obviously dying to do so, but be ready to get treated like a goat carcass tossed in a school or pihrana if you're gonna base ANY argument you have off of the idea that "lowest bidder" is, in any way, a stand-alone consideration, particularly in terms of the primary tools of the GCE.

You didn't have boxes and boxes of broken ACOGs because it's not the go-to optic of the Army, or you ain't been around all that long, and merely think you have. You not seeing boxes and boxes of broken ANYthing simply speaks to limited experience and throughput on your part, not the absence of something being broken on the part of ANY item you care to mention in thes vein. You're no less a victim to your narrow frame of reference than any other blowhard we get running through here.

I'm about freaking sick of your over-willingness to take a giant dump on other members, for no palpable benefit or additive effect to the threads in which you participate. Bear in mind, that as free as you think you are to post whatever you want, in whatever form you want, there's others (with all sorts of extra little browser buttons...) that can shut you down or alter anything you have to say. It would be preferred if you'd take a step back from yourself for a moment, and put your :internetpenis: back in your pants. We don't need or want to see it.

So, here's your public, informal warning: Pump your brakes, both in general and with the "fanboy" and "cockfag" bullshit in particular.

Now.

1. No one said anything about a lowest Bidder. I am not sure where you get that from. More often then not a contract is awarded to someone other than the lowest bidder. This is from a variety of reasons on anything from Substandard product, lack of confidence in management team, and higher risk of contract defult, ect. Since you clearly know more then me on gov contracting and want to shoot down my credibility, how many SEB (selection evaluation boards) have you sat on for both Services and Products? How many simplified aquisions have you proccesed? I never mentioned "lowest bidder" in this thread and if anything was refering to the FAR (Federal Aquision Regulation) that bassicaly states the gov will not pay more for a product or service then it sells for on the open markey, all things being equal.

2. I deal directly with procurement. In fact I am a Federal 0343 and my sole job is procurement on behaf of my federal agency/program office. I am a certified COR and working towards my DAWIA as a warrented contracting officer. Feel free to come to D.C. one day, Ill even give you a tour. If this wont satisfy you, then I don't know what will.

3. How do you know what Ive seen? There were plenty of broken shit in boxes in both my arms room connex and ammo connex. When your at war, they tend not to really care about broken shit when you can just order/aquire servicble equipment. Bottom line, Not one ACOG went down. All of our casualties were from IED's and vechile crashes. Ever seen a M16 melted into a blob of aluminum? No mehcanical devise is immune from defects or failure. They all fail sooner or later. My statement was simple: While the Aimpoint is a quality product, It should not cost anywhere near as much as it does to the taxpayer.

I still dont understand why you are taking personal stabs at me, with little to no rational. You dont like my opionion and experinces? Ok that thats your right. Do you work for aimpoint or have some stake in the succses of its products? Are we unable to debate and talk about procucts and issues like adults, or are we going to flip out and threaten someone beacuse we dont like a differing opinion. I have been on this site for years and have never seen a moderator flip out like this over something so trivial.

TurretGunner
01-03-12, 10:57
Since your so up on things you should know that the SRS comes with a Bobro Mount......

Since you want to be a smart ass, its been released that it will come with either the Bobro or a stnd screw mount. I know its really hard to awsner a simple question......

TomF
01-03-12, 11:00
I've had a chance to play with the SRS on Steve's rifle for a bit. It appears to be a viable option and I've watched him beat up on his quite a bit.

Will I be replacing all of my T1's? Probably not. When/if I have a new rifle that needs a RDO, will I give the SRS a hard look? Probably.

Steve
01-03-12, 11:21
Since you want to be a smart ass, its been released that it will come with either the Bobro or a stnd screw mount. I know its really hard to awsner a simple question......

The only ones i have shot all are pre production and come with a Bobro
The thumb screw mount was most likely and added thought to cut cost (i haven't heard this from my guys at trijicon but will check on it)down and i don't really care to be honest the thumb screw mount is even worse and needs to be checked more often and thread locker used.... Ill use the bobro one till mark makes amount......

as tom stated i wont be replacing my aimpoints anytime soon as i have too many of them....If there is such a thing... but my new guns will get them

JSantoro
01-03-12, 11:49
You dont like my opionion and experinces?

Incorrect. I do not like your behavior.

Particularly, what isn't liked is that you can't seem to bring either to bear without recognizing that you don't have a monopoly on them, that there are others that are just as valid, and when you can depersonalize your own assertions to the point that you don't need to talk down to the general membership and industry personnel, and otherwise follow the posting rules you agreed to follow upon registration.

The forum staff is here to ensure that you DO follow them, willingly or otherwise. That's as personal as it's gonna get; any feeling to the contrary is just you feeling singled out as a result of you skylining yourself by being dickish.

Run a search on "bickering/baiting" when you get the chance. It'll lead you to some information RE: posting rules that you may or may not have seen, by now. You can learn from it, and check your tone and choice of words, or you can start piling up infractions and have the decision to do that taken completely out of your hands.

No, I don't work for any vendor or manufacturer, and never have.

sinlessorrow
01-03-12, 12:15
despite the bickering trijicon is giving us the best of aimpoint and eotech in a solar powered optic with a great after market qd mount.

im getting one the first day they launch in april

wileecoyote
01-03-12, 21:08
Sorry if this a noob type question, but I'm not understanding something. People keep referring to the large field of view with this RDS, but if you shoot both eyes open is there such thing as field of view? Shouldn't the optic pretty much disappear?

Or is it that with a bigger window you might be able to pick up the optic quicker vs trying to find a smaller window?

I have a Aimpoint micro, it's the only RDS I've ever used so I don't have anything else to use as a point of reference.

a0cake
01-03-12, 21:23
Sorry if this a noob type question, but I'm not understanding something. People keep referring to the large field of view with this RDS, but if you shoot both eyes open is there such thing as field of view? Shouldn't the optic pretty much disappear?

Or is it that with a bigger window you might be able to pick up the optic quicker vs trying to find a smaller window?

I have a Aimpoint micro, it's the only RDS I've ever used so I don't have anything else to use as a point of reference.

You are correct about "field of view" being the wrong phraseology here. While FOV is not a factor with these optics because both eyes are kept open, a large diameter tube will be more forgiving "eye box" wise...especially when shooting from unconventional positions. If your eye is not perfectly centered behind the optic you will still be able to pick up the red dot.

With training and practice this becomes a bit of a non issue. Most shooters have no problems with Aimpoint Micros.

ra2bach
01-03-12, 22:07
...trijicon is giving us the best of aimpoint and eotech in a solar powered optic with a great after market qd mount.

I'm not familiar with the difference in technologies. what makes this "the best of aimpoint and eotech"?..

sinlessorrow
01-03-12, 22:14
I'm not familiar with the difference in technologies. what makes this "the best of aimpoint and eotech"?..

the SRS has a 3yr run time on one AA battery alone, but if its in the sun you can get years upon years of run time, infinite even in the sun.

it has the rugged durability of the trijicon optics.

it also has the giant FOV and no tube effect(if it exists) which will allow for quick acquisition, as quick as eotech?

so in this you get a 1.75moa dot with the durability of a trijicon, the FOV and speed of an eotech, and the battery life of a aimpoint.

Keydet08
01-03-12, 22:26
When I was an Armorer, I had a huge box of broken aimpoints and parts. Wana guess how many Acogs were in that box? Zero.

FWIW out of a 100 man range detail (USMC qual range) that my Battalion recently shot we had about 5 or 6 weapon drops for broken TA-31s.

thmpr
01-03-12, 23:02
A battery left in the battery compartment for that long (3 years), will corrosion be an issue?

sinlessorrow
01-04-12, 00:06
A battery left in the battery compartment for that long (3 years), will corrosion be an issue?

shouldnt be, as long as its a lithium your ok

C4IGrant
01-04-12, 09:37
You are correct about "field of view" being the wrong phraseology here. While FOV is not a factor with these optics because both eyes are kept open, a large diameter tube will be more forgiving "eye box" wise...especially when shooting from unconventional positions. If your eye is not perfectly centered behind the optic you will still be able to pick up the red dot.

With training and practice this becomes a bit of a non issue. Most shooters have no problems with Aimpoint Micros.

This. I have been in weird positions and could not pick up the dot on the Micro. While this is not a common issue and NOT something to get worried about, I have run into it.

C4

C4IGrant
01-04-12, 09:38

No (as long as it is sealed).

C4

deadlyfire
01-04-12, 10:45
Having been in situations in Afghanistan where re-supply is non-existent I can appreciate the solar-powered feature.

montrala
01-04-12, 11:46
Having been in situations in Afghanistan where re-supply is non-existent I can appreciate the solar-powered feature.

Not trying to be smartass, but is it important with sight that has 5 or 8 years constant on life? Make it 2 years for real (lot of use on high settings). If you do not get resupply for 2 years, then lack of batteries is probably last concern.

And if electronics go tits up, then solar power is no help either.

I know that nothing survives against reality of battlefield, that is why I'm asking. Is it really advantage over battery life in Aimpoint M4/M4S (I think SRS is set to compete with those) or just nice marketing movement - "We have solar power!!!"? I know that even HSLD types are not immune to good marketing.

BTW I tested my M4S and it worked with everything I was able to put inside (and add stack of old screws to fill up the void). Also on batteries that shows dead in TV remote or cordless mouse. Yes, when it rains, children are bored.

Singlestack Wonder
01-04-12, 12:07

+1.

The SRS's reliabilty has yet to be proven as well. I do not see any innovation with the SRS, just the coupling of existing technologies in an attempt to be better able to compete with Aimpoint.

Product acceptance over time will tell.

sinlessorrow
01-04-12, 12:11
+1.

The SRS's reliabilty has yet to be proven as well. I do not see any innovation with the SRS, just the coupling of existing technologies in an attempt to be better able to compete with Aimpoint.

Product acceptance over time will tell.

according to trijicon the SRS is being put through the same durability testing as their ACOG's which are incredibly durable.

its so funny when optic debates come up, the aimpoint fans dont want to admit that anything can be as durable as their beloved aimpoint, yet trijicons are known for durability.

and it may not be new tech, but it is for optics. while solar cells and such have already been around this is the first time its been put into a combat optic.

it has the same battery life as the aimpoint PRO(3yrs) using one AA battery and if you are in the sun you can easily go 10+yrs on one AA battery, lets not forget the great 1.75MOA dot and the large 38mm window that eliminates that tube effect some have since its such a compact optic as far as length goes

Singlestack Wonder
01-04-12, 15:24
according to trijicon the SRS is being put through the same durability testing as their ACOG's which are incredibly durable.

its so funny when optic debates come up, the aimpoint fans dont want to admit that anything can be as durable as their beloved aimpoint, yet trijicons are known for durability.

and it may not be new tech, but it is for optics. while solar cells and such have already been around this is the first time its been put into a combat optic.

it has the same battery life as the aimpoint PRO(3yrs) using one AA battery and if you are in the sun you can easily go 10+yrs on one AA battery, lets not forget the great 1.75MOA dot and the large 38mm window that eliminates that tube effect some have since its such a compact optic as far as length goes

Durability testing does not equate to years in the field and the multitude of environments and conditions that the product is exposed to. When the ACOG's first came out many years ago, they too had issues which needed to be resolved over time.

deadlyfire
01-04-12, 18:19
Not trying to be smartass, but is it important with sight that has 5 or 8 years constant on life? Make it 2 years for real (lot of use on high settings). If you do not get resupply for 2 years, then lack of batteries is probably last concern.

And if electronics go tits up, then solar power is no help either.

I know that nothing survives against reality of battlefield, that is why I'm asking. Is it really advantage over battery life in Aimpoint M4/M4S (I think SRS is set to compete with those) or just nice marketing movement - "We have solar power!!!"? I know that even HSLD types are not immune to good marketing.

BTW I tested my M4S and it worked with everything I was able to put inside (and add stack of old screws to fill up the void). Also on batteries that shows dead in TV remote or cordless mouse. Yes, when it rains, children are bored.

PM incoming to avoid side railing the topic

jsebens
01-05-12, 20:40
...and it may not be new tech, but it is for optics. while solar cells and such have already been around this is the first time its been put into a combat optic...

Just to nitpick, I saw a solar/battery-powered Zeiss red dot on an Bundeswehr HK MP7 about 5 years ago in Kosovo. This might be the first optic in the US market to have solar cells, but it's not the first time it's been put into a combat optic.

Tomac
01-05-12, 21:15
Just to nitpick, I saw a solar/battery-powered Zeiss red dot on an Bundeswehr HK MP7 about 5 years ago in Kosovo. This might be the first optic in the US market to have solar cells, but it's not the first time it's been put into a combat optic.

If you're referring to the Zeiss Z-Point, I'm not certain why it would qualify as a combat optic.
Tomac

jsebens
01-05-12, 21:21
If you're referring to the Zeiss Z-Point, I'm not certain why it would qualify as a combat optic.
Tomac

...because it was issued by the German military (a combat force) for use in combat situations by combat troops? I'm not certain why you think it wouldn't qualify as a combat optic.

Tomac
01-05-12, 22:10
...because it was issued by the German military (a combat force) for use in combat situations by combat troops? I'm not certain why you think it wouldn't qualify as a combat optic.

Thx for clarifying, this is the first I've heard of it being military issue.
Tomac

ra2bach
01-05-12, 22:45
...lets not forget the great 1.75MOA dot and the large 38mm window that eliminates that tube effect some have since its such a compact optic as far as length goes

unless I'm seeing the pics wrong, it only has 38MM at the objective end. the ocular appears to be the same size as the Aimpoint M4 sitting beside it. if true, this would be the limiting factor in what we're calling FOV, not the size of the forward opening...

sinlessorrow
01-05-12, 23:12
unless I'm seeing the pics wrong, it only has 38MM at the objective end. the ocular appears to be the same size as the Aimpoint M4 sitting beside it. if true, this would be the limiting factor in what we're calling FOV, not the size of the forward opening...

from what ive seen it may be the same size as the M4 but as you move your head you see different parts of the front so it looks much larger than it is, its pretty interesting

wileecoyote
01-06-12, 00:47
I have to admit I kind of dismissed this when I saw it on GearScout last year. But the more I look at it the more interesting it is.

I like how Eotechs have the big window that's more forgiving of head position, and I like how Aimpoints had the rugged and proven tube design. This seems to marry the two; kind of like the chunky size and viewing area of an Eotech XPS but in the tube form factor of a CompM4. Very cool.

armakraut
01-06-12, 20:18
http://www.opticstalk.com/shot-show-2012-new-products_topic31026_page1.html

Looks like there will be dual illuminated versions coming out as well (fiber optic).

wileecoyote
01-07-12, 15:53
http://www.opticstalk.com/shot-show-2012-new-products_topic31026_page1.html

Looks like there will be dual illuminated versions coming out as well (fiber optic).

Those look just like the specs for the various RMR versions. Are they really going to bring out all those different versions of the SRS on top of the solar powered one? Seems strange. Plus a big jump in the dot size for those versions too.

BCMaDdIcT13
01-08-12, 13:12
Saw this sight awhile back. Definitely will look into getting one.

ForTehNguyen
01-21-12, 22:23
Trijicon SRS™ Featured on NRA American Rifleman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq2PPk1SkC0&feature=related

Steve
01-21-12, 22:57
Durability testing does not equate to years in the field and the multitude of environments and conditions that the product is exposed to. When the ACOG's first came out many years ago, they too had issues which needed to be resolved over time.

I have close to 11k rounds now on mine and in a few different enviorments from Texas to az to Nola to michigan cold and ice and 3 drops so far its been good. I had a meeting with the guys who built it from the ground up this week
And we had a good exchange. Of info. Its good optic

sinlessorrow
01-21-12, 23:28
I have close to 11k rounds now on mine and in a few different enviorments from Texas to az to Nola to michigan cold and ice and 3 drops so far its been good. I had a meeting with the guys who built it from the ground up this week
And we had a good exchange. Of info. Its good optic

and no details???

how does it compare in durability to that of eotech and aimpoints?

Steve
01-22-12, 01:06
and no details???

how does it compare in durability to that of eotech and aimpoints?

My details have been posted in many places, (so drop the attitude), on this optic thank you
it has had better durability than any of my eotechs but then again they never lasted that many rounds, i haven't had enough time on a xps but have seen many of them in classes with issues, the XPS seams to be less problematic

1 single unit vs the many aimpoints i have has proven in its short time span that it has been durable reliable taken abuse on 556 and 308 and 12 gauge slug guns,a lot of info as been given to Trijicon since mine is and prototype not a production

it has been outside in single digits it has been in sand dust and dirt of AZ and texas it has been dropped it has been removed and replaced many times on various guns it has held its zeros well it has been left out in the rain for 3 days straight it has been hunted with and it has been overall a great performer off axis positions are much easier i have had no issues with various shooting glasses on and so and so on

as of know im the only person with this many rounds on this optic
I think its a winner for them and a great choice and good alternative to aimpoint

sinlessorrow
01-22-12, 09:30
Thanks for the input steve, and sorry about the attitude. I think that was one of those statements that comes across better in person than online.;)

Steve
01-22-12, 09:51
Thanks for the input steve, and sorry about the attitude. I think that was one of those statements that comes across better in person than online.;)

Sorry, long night i feel a bit of sand in my slit :cray:

Biggy
01-22-12, 13:45
For those that would like to know the weight difference between the Trijicon SRS /Bobro mount, battery installed =(13.8oz) and the Aimpoint Micro T1 mounted to a Larue LT-660 (tall mount), battery installed = (5.8oz). The SRS is 8oz heavier .

SteveL
01-22-12, 13:59
Steve, since you have actual hands-on time with the SRS, I was wondering if you could definitively answer the co-witness question. I'm guessing it does allow for a co-witness with BUS (I could be wrong). If so, do you get a lower 1/3 co-witness with it? Thanks.

sinlessorrow
01-22-12, 14:54
For those that would like to know the weight difference between the Trijicon SRS /Bobro mount, battery installed =(13.8oz) and the Aimpoint Micro T1 mounted to a Larue LT-660 (tall mount), battery installed = (5.8oz), it is : The SRS is 8oz heavier .

How exactly is it fair to compare i micro red dot to a full size?

Wouldnt a more fair comparison be an eotech, and a comp m4 compared to the srs

Biggy
01-22-12, 15:10
How exactly is it fair to compare i micro red dot to a full size?

Wouldnt a more fair comparison be an eotech, and a comp m4 compared to the srs

It has nothing to do with whats fair, its just the difference between what is probably the most popular RDS/mount combo right now and the SRS. 8 oz might matter to some, others may care less, just stating the facts/specs to those that may want to know.

C4IGrant
01-22-12, 15:14
I handled these at Shot. Very nice and will put one on a gun to try out.

C4

jeeepguy
03-25-12, 23:53
I too am interested in the co-witness question. Also, does a magnifier work with this sight?

jpmuscle
03-28-12, 02:26
Has their been a definitive release date yet? Im really looking forward to picking one up. Ive been going back and forth between the M3 and the M4s but if the SRS is comparable in price Id have no reservations over ordering.

C4IGrant
03-28-12, 09:03
Has their been a definitive release date yet? Im really looking forward to picking one up. Ive been going back and forth between the M3 and the M4s but if the SRS is comparable in price Id have no reservations over ordering.

I am being told April-May.

C4

jpmuscle
03-29-12, 08:02
I am being told April-May.

C4

Good to hear.

I noticed today Brownells is listing the SRS for pre-order @ $841.50 and $913.75 Respectively. I get the feeling thats a bit higher than most people were hoping to see but if it holds its own id say its likely worth it.

C4IGrant
03-29-12, 08:18
Good to hear.

I noticed today Brownells is listing the SRS for pre-order @ $841.50 and $913.75 Respectively. I get the feeling thats a bit higher than most people were hoping to see but if it holds its own id say its likely worth it.

That is MAP. We will offer M4C members discounts on them. ;)

C4

jpmuscle
03-29-12, 13:10
That is MAP. We will offer M4C members discounts on them. ;)

C4

I figured as much, even at MAP id consider that a reasonable price considering the Mount included. Good stuff so far IMO

Ghost 954RR
03-31-12, 20:39
I noticed that they state the Brightness is automatically adjusted along with all the different brightness settings. Is this accomplished through an ambient light sensor behind the solar cell cover? or is there an ambient light sensor on the front, behind the logo? Or does it use spot metering within the field of view like a camera? Do you set a brightness setting, and then it adjusts up and down from there automatically with changes in light? I just hope the auto brightness feature works better than the iPhone's auto brightness feature.

jpmuscle
03-31-12, 22:55
I noticed that they state the Brightness is automatically adjusted along with all the different brightness settings. Is this accomplished through an ambient light sensor behind the solar cell cover? or is there an ambient light sensor on the front, behind the logo? Or does it use spot metering within the field of view like a camera? Do you set a brightness setting, and then it adjusts up and down from there automatically with changes in light? I just hope the auto brightness feature works better than the iPhone's auto brightness feature.

Got a link? apparently I missed that feature. I did not see any mention of it on Trijicons website, If I had to guess that is most likely a separate setting in addition to the manually selected settings. Hopefully someone can chime in with the how. If its accurate tho it would be a nice feature.

swamp2
03-31-12, 23:01
Despite claims of a 2-3 year battery life a feature I would really like to see on units like this is auto off, perhaps based on rifle orientation perhaps coupled with instant on that is also motion based. I've seen such features advertise on some of the low power variable optics. This would be super clever, save battery and you would never have to worry about an on/off switch or doing that manually. I'm sure it won't have it but one can wish...

AKDoug
04-01-12, 01:46
I agree. A motion sensing switch would be cool, but why bother doing it if the batteries on these things are lasting so long?

sinlessorrow
04-01-12, 01:54
I agree. A motion sensing switch would be cool, but why bother doing it if the batteries on these things are lasting so long?

3yr battery life if you leave it in the dark 24/7, once its in the sun it draws power from the solar cell

swamp2
04-01-12, 13:30
Not so sure about that battery spec ^. I would guess the 3 year battery life is based on some average number of hours of use per week but that number is probably much much less than 24 hours per day for the whole week. Thus one can not simply leave the unit powered up and get 2-3 years of battery life. If that is the case then the "fancy" electronics I mention would indeed be superfluous.

sinlessorrow
04-01-12, 14:50
Not so sure about that battery spec ^. I would guess the 3 year battery life is based on some average number of hours of use per week but that number is probably much much less than 24 hours per day for the whole week. Thus one can not simply leave the unit powered up and get 2-3 years of battery life. If that is the case then the "fancy" electronics I mention would indeed be superfluous.

the whole point of this RDS to be the next evolution in a sense.

2-3yr battery life, and if your battery craps out it will still function in the day time.

I certainly wouldnt say the solar power is superfluous, I love the idea of the solar power, i mean that would be like saying the Tritium in acogs is superfluous.

jpmuscle
04-01-12, 15:20

I would venture to guess then the fancy electronics you mentioned are indeed superfluous. The specs have already stated that battery life is an expected 2-3 years of continuous use, not an average dependent on use. Think aim point. An auto-shutoff is pointless imo, when you just need to be mindful of your equipment.

swamp2
04-01-12, 20:27
I certainly wouldnt say the solar power is superfluous, I love the idea of the solar power, i mean that would be like saying the Tritium in acogs is superfluous.

You misunderstood me. I meant that auto on/off could potentially be the superfluous electronics. Not the solar, the solar is killer IMHO.

swamp2
04-01-12, 20:36
I would venture to guess then the fancy electronics you mentioned are indeed superfluous. The specs have already stated that battery life is an expected 2-3 years of continuous use, not an average dependent on use. Think aim point. An auto-shutoff is pointless imo, when you just need to be mindful of your equipment.

Did the existing info really state 2-3 years continuous, I may have missed that detail? And was it clarified that meant with NO solar?

Either way I do not think auto on/off is entirely pointless. If the battery life really is that good then further simplification of the product could be removing the on/off button entirely. Why not if you have 2-3 years? Also if it really is 2-3 years continuous, no solar, then the auto on/off addition would probably mean a 10-15 years or more of battery life, perhaps close to some loose form of a "lifetime" battery.

Anyway think of any modern electronics automation, say perhaps timer on the microwave, auto on/off automobile head lights, computer sleep timer, etc. Folks have probably argued those are pointless as well but consumers sure seem to like, use and appreciate these small features.

montrala
04-02-12, 09:39
Anyway think of any modern electronics automation, say perhaps timer on the microwave, auto on/off automobile head lights, computer sleep timer, etc. Folks have probably argued those are pointless as well but consumers sure seem to like, use and appreciate these small features.

But firearm aiming system is not home or car appliance. Instant readiness is very important (those systems are not made for hobby shooters). Actually Swedish Army ordered their Aimpoint CompM4 without "off" position at all. They keep them on all the time.

Solar power on SRS seem to be attempt to came close to battery life benchmark set by CompM4.

BTW I had chance to handle SRS and CompM4 side to side on last IWA show in Germany. For me SRS tube (big tube with large lens but small ocular) obscures more picture than CompM4 (where lens/ocular sizes are same). This is both eyes open (as it should be). But for those that use RDS wrong way (with closing non dominant eye) SRS might provide slightly larger FOV. But for me this "big lens" is just marketing BS, nothing more. Bobro mount is a win however :smile:

jasonhgross
04-02-12, 14:49
Its Green for the environment!!!

jpmuscle
04-02-12, 17:00

Pretty sure it doesn't qualify for a energy tax credit sadly.. dam.

montrala
04-04-12, 07:59

Actually making solar panels is not too "Green". Funny thing, that lot of thing that are "Green" on user side are not so "Green" in making. Or they are actually "anti-Green". But it is whole another rant.

I think, that for US market best selling point for SRS over CompM4 is not solar panel, big lens or Bobro mount. It is all about "Made in USA" tag. And this is perfectly right. When I can have good stuff "Made in Poland", I go for it.

jpmuscle
04-04-12, 22:30
But firearm aiming system is not home or car appliance. Instant readiness is very important (those systems are not made for hobby shooters). Actually Swedish Army ordered their Aimpoint CompM4 without "off" position at all. They keep them on all the time.

Solar power on SRS seem to be attempt to came close to battery life benchmark set by CompM4.

BTW I had chance to handle SRS and CompM4 side to side on last IWA show in Germany. For me SRS tube (big tube with large lens but small ocular) obscures more picture than CompM4 (where lens/ocular sizes are same). This is both eyes open (as it should be). But for those that use RDS wrong way (with closing non dominant eye) SRS might provide slightly larger FOV. But for me this "big lens" is just marketing BS, nothing more. Bobro mount is a win however :smile:

That seems more subjective than objective imo, time will tell I suppose.

montrala
04-05-12, 07:39

Probably. But who is really objective? We all see world differently, based on where we are, what we saw and what experience we have.

Ghost 954RR
04-05-12, 08:37

"But for those that use RDS wrong way (with closing non dominant eye) SRS might provide slightly larger FOV."

See, when I looked through one, I thought it would make both-eyes-open shooting easier. I find that the black tube effect stands out because of how contrasting it is to the rest of the image and thus makes it harder for my brain to ignore.

montrala
04-05-12, 09:35
"But for those that use RDS wrong way (with closing non dominant eye) SRS might provide slightly larger FOV."

See, when I looked through one, I thought it would make both-eyes-open shooting easier. I find that the black tube effect stands out because of how contrasting it is to the rest of the image and thus makes it harder for my brain to ignore.

I was looking trough either CompM4 and SRS separated only by distance from Aimpoint booth to Trijicon booth at IWA. Also my friend from same magazine who was with me had same impression. With both eyes open thick tube of SRS felt more obscuring that CompM4 tube. Nothing serious and probably does not matter. Point is that for both eye open we found that SRS does not provide function better than CompM4 (despite marketing blah blah blah about bigger lens - "exit" to eye is same size).

But with one eye closed SRS felt to provide less "looking trough tube" effect than CompM4. For me not important in RDS at all.

But it is just me and my biased, subjective point of view :thank_you2:

Taking both CompM4 and SRS side to side will make everyone find their own answer. I decided for.... Micro T1 :agree:

Ghost 954RR
04-05-12, 10:54

I was looking trough either CompM4 and SRS separated only by distance from Aimpoint booth to Trijicon booth at IWA. Also my friend from same magazine who was with me had same impression. With both eyes open thick tube of SRS felt more obscuring that CompM4 tube. Nothing serious and probably does not matter. Point is that for both eye open we found that SRS does not provide function better than CompM4 (despite marketing blah blah blah about bigger lens - "exit" to eye is same size).

But with one eye closed SRS felt to provide less "looking trough tube" effect than CompM4. For me not important in RDS at all.

But it is just me and my biased, subjective point of view :thank_you2:

Taking both CompM4 and SRS side to side will make everyone find their own answer. I decided for.... Micro T1 :agree:

It's sounds more and more like a matter of opinion. I certainly respect montrala's opinion. He has always seemed well spoken and provides logic to back his opinion.

The housing is certainly larger with the SRS. I wonder if the optic could be moved closer to the shooters eye, to take advantage of the larger objective glass.

Keep in mind. The existing RDS's are all fine choices. I'm just excited about a new serious player in this field.

montrala
04-06-12, 09:50
I'm just excited about a new serious player in this field.

Let me be clear. I do not want to say that SRS is not a bad RDS in any way. Actually it seem to be one of top of the line. My point is just that in fact is not some earth shaking revolution, neither "Aimpoint Killer". If it will prove with time to have level of durability and reliability of CompM series (and given Trijicon experience form ACOG I think it will), then it can be in some "box" with CompM4. But I do not see it to be really technically of functionally better that CompM4. "Same" at best - but being same as the best is not a shame :dirol:

swamp2
05-24-12, 00:19
No updates on a release date? I've scoured around online and can only find a reference to "summer". Ugh.

C4IGrant
05-24-12, 07:12
No updates on a release date? I've scoured around online and can only find a reference to "summer". Ugh.

July is what I was told yesterday.

C4

swamp2
06-21-12, 23:24
^ Any updates? Thanks.

C4IGrant
06-22-12, 08:42
^ Any updates? Thanks.

We have the SRS01's in stock. Drop us a line if interested in our M4C member pricing.

C4

C4IGrant
06-22-12, 10:30
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Trijicon/SRS01a.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Trijicon/SRS01b.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Trijicon/SRS01c.jpg

C4

Iraq Ninja
06-28-12, 16:53
We just received two SRS optics from GRTactical.com (Thanks Grant), at the special forum price.

I had seen these at SHOT and appreciate the concept. It competes with the Aimpoint CompM4 and not the Micro, which still has its place. The solar panels worked quickly even without a battery.

I am curious on how the optic works with a PVS 14 behind it. I had good luck with the 14 behind a CompM4, and so so success with the micro. I suspect the larger SRS will make it a great combo.

They are going to the range tomorrow for testing.

C4IGrant
06-28-12, 19:00
We just received two SRS optics from GRTactical.com (Thanks Grant), at the special forum price.

I had seen these at SHOT and appreciate the concept. It competes with the Aimpoint CompM4 and not the Micro, which still has its place. The solar panels worked quickly even without a battery.

I am curious on how the optic works with a PVS 14 behind it. I had good luck with the 14 behind a CompM4, and so so success with the micro. I suspect the larger SRS will make it a great combo.

Look forward to your report and thank you for your business!

C4

1022rimfire
06-28-12, 21:28
When the sight is powered on, does it start off at the lowest level and require you to click up in brightness or does it remember the last setting before it was turned off?

I'm very curious about this and I haven't see any post this info yet. Thanks.

Iraq Ninja
06-28-12, 23:28
It remembers the last setting.

One observation I made today is that a kill flash will probably be needed for hunting two and four legged game. The larger size glass has more reflection, though it is canted a bit.

WS6
06-29-12, 01:53
It remembers the last setting.

One observation I made today is that a kill flash will probably be needed for hunting two and four legged game. The larger size glass has more reflection, though it is canted a bit.

How is the "tint"? I remember my T1 micro having a bit of blue to it, same as the M2, but my M4S has a little less tint, looking more "clear".

How does the SRS compare with the Aimpoint M4 in rendering a clear picture vs. having a "blue tint" to things?

Is the dot any "crisper" than the M4?

swamp2
06-29-12, 21:47
Wow finally - they are arriving.

Grant - please PM members price for the unit with the QD. No problem if it is not in stock yet or if you don't have a price yet. Thanks much.

highlighter
06-30-12, 08:08
It sure looks fat.

swamp2
07-03-12, 23:10

Super eager to hear a range report! Thanks in advance.

Iraq Ninja
07-04-12, 01:09
Range report-

When compared to my trusty CompM4, it is comparable, but no idea on the long time durability. My M4 was rock solid for 3 years in the sandbox. But, I appreciate the solar panel. Batteries can not only run out, but can fail. To rely on the battery life is not realistic.

The cant of the front lens seems to allow more reflection into the optic. One may see a reflection of the circuit board, depending on the lighting. This may be an issue for some. I think a kill flash may solve this problem.

It doesn't seem faster than a micro or M4.

The zero adjustment screws are not protected, and that is a concern.

Overall, I need more time to trust the optic, but I like it as a general, default optic when battery supply may be an issue.

WS6
07-04-12, 01:21
Range report-

When compared to my trusty CompM4, it is comparable, but no idea on the long time durability. My M4 was rock solid for 3 years in the sandbox. But, I appreciate the solar panel. Batteries can not only run out, but can fail. To rely on the battery life is not realistic.

The cant of the front lens seems to allow more reflection into the optic. One may see a reflection of the circuit board, depending on the lighting. This may be an issue for some. I think a kill flash may solve this problem.

It doesn't seem faster than a micro or M4.

The zero adjustment screws are not protected, and that is a concern.

Overall, I need more time to trust the optic, but I like it as a general, default optic when battery supply may be an issue.

It won't work without the battery. The only thing it can do without a battery is remain on when in a lighted environment.

It will not turn on from the off setting without a battery--period.
If a battery goes dead/is removed in an un-lit setting, obviously it will die.
The only good the solar panel will be is for prolonging battery life, and for preventing the optic from dying when already in use in a lit environment, should the battery somehow be compromised at that moment. To me, this makes the solar-panel a weak excuse for having an otherwise comparable optic that only has 1/2 the battery life of their competitor.

I will be keeping my M4S, based on your review. We KNOW it works. While I am sure Trijicon did their homework and isn't peddling junk, we don't know if there are any foibles of any sort, or not. The optics on my M4S also look more chromatically correct than some of the SRS optic pictures I have seen, looking through the optic. What is your experience, there?

swamp2
07-05-12, 02:15
It won't work without the battery.

The only thing it can do without a battery is remain on when in a lighted environment.

It will not turn on from the off setting without a battery--period.

Your first point is not entirely true. Depends on how you define "work". Your second and third statements are correct. This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47uXYRQA64E) shows it working (of course in the light) without a battery. It is indeed a bummer about your second and third points. It seems a bit odd that they could not achieve those given it can maintain illumination without a battery.

WS6
07-05-12, 02:37
Are these speculation or fact? This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47uXYRQA64E) shows it working (of course in the light) without a battery. That contradicts your first point.

You saw an already turned on optic that had the battery removed while it was on, and the solar panel backed it up, just as I said it would. Had the optic been off when the battery came out, it would have been a paper-weight until the battery was re-inserted.

C4IGrant
07-05-12, 09:56
You saw an already turned on optic that had the battery removed while it was on, and the solar panel backed it up, just as I said it would. Had the optic been off when the battery came out, it would have been a paper-weight until the battery was re-inserted.

You mean just like an Aimpoint and EOTech? ;)

Since we will always start the optic with a battery, the difference is that the battery can either go dead and or be removed and the optic will run. This cannot be said of either the Aimpoint or EOTech. So this is an advantage of the SRS.

I do agree though that it would be nice if the optic could "start" with no battery in it. My guess though is if that was the case, it couldn't function as it does with the electronics.

C4

Iraq Ninja
07-05-12, 12:18
Grant,

You have any kill flashes for the SRS yet?

C4IGrant
07-05-12, 14:20
Grant,

You have any kill flashes for the SRS yet?

Ordered some, but haven't received any yet.

C4

C4IGrant
07-14-12, 12:39
Here are some pics of the SRS02. Member pricing is available!

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Trijicon/SRS02.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Trijicon/SRS02a.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Trijicon/SRS02b.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Trijicon/SRS02_KAC2.jpg

sinlessorrow
07-14-12, 13:32
is it a worth wile upgrade over a T-1? trying to decide if I should get this or an ACOG.

buckjay
07-14-12, 15:14
is it a worth wile upgrade over a T-1? trying to decide if I should get this or an ACOG.

Shouldn't be deciding between the SRS and ACOG.. more like SRS and T-1 (or M4/M4s).

556Cliff
07-14-12, 17:21
Grant, what is the member pricing?

C4IGrant
07-14-12, 18:27
Grant, what is the member pricing?

Send me an e-mail and I will give you a quote.

C4