PDA

View Full Version : Browning Hi Power or Glock 19?

duece71
10-10-11, 21:28
All,
I have a Browning Hi Power, blued, wood grips, adjustable rear sight. I love the pistol, shoots very well, never an FTE or FTF. Finish is approximately 80-85% with no holster wear, just minor blems and scratches on the slide and frame. All mags are factory (even a nickel one). I am not realy sure what I want to do with the gun. It sits in the safe and comes out once in a while for 2-300 rounds, gets cleaned and goes back into the safe. I can't carry it for concealed carry very well and therefore have been looking at swaping (selling) it out for a Glock 19.
The Glock would serve as a concealled carry pistol. I have a Glock 17 but again I am looking to carry concealled so I have somewhat ruled it out for carry. I have shot the Glock 19 and although I found the grip to be a little small for my hands (why I went with the G17 instead) I am revisiting it as a carry pistol.
I am looking for some opinions, good or bad and any comments about what you would do in my shoes.
Thanks.

lethal dose
10-10-11, 21:36
While the glock 19 is the quintessential "do-it-all" handgun, I would hesitate to get rid of my hp. Save up. Ever considered a grip reduction on your 17?

Outrider
10-10-11, 21:43
Do you enjoy shooting your Hi-Power? If you do, keep it and save up some money for a Glock 19.

SteadyUp
10-10-11, 21:48
Keep the Hi Power and save up for the G19. For me, there is nothing worse than dealing with the regret of selling a gun I should have kept.

duece71
10-10-11, 21:55
Thats what I thought. The HP trigger is one that someone described that has "no perceptable reset". Yes, I would agree with this and it bothered me for some reason. Maybe it is just something one has to get used to. Don't get me wrong, I like the HP, I am just into finding something that would fit the CC requirement a bit better.
On the grip reduction, no I have not thought about it. I would rather just keep it stock and go with a G19. I would keep it stock as well.

duece71
10-10-11, 22:01
Keep the Hi Power and save up for the G19. For me, there is nothing worse than dealing with the regret of selling a gun I should have kept.

Ah yes, I have felt that as well and you are right on the money there. I sold a practically mint blued Russian SKS with bayo for.......a very small sum :cray:
If you guys keep talking like this, I swear, I am keeping my HP. :D

brit
10-10-11, 22:06
Wish I would have never sold my Hi-power, it was a great pistol.

I'm gonna go ahead and say keep both, but if you really want a G19, I've got one I love, but I'd still trade for a nice BHP. :)

Javelin
10-10-11, 22:08
My personal preference would be a G19. All things being equal.

duece71
10-10-11, 22:28
BTW, the gun I replaced by buying the Browning HP, it was a Ruger P-85 9mm. No I don't regret selling the Ruger.

DocGKR
10-10-11, 22:53
I sold all my Hi-Powers, as they served no purpose for me any longer.

You can CCW a G17 without too many issues with the right clothing selection. Having said that, the G19 is likely the optimal CCW pistol in the world. It's OK to run a stock G19 mag in the pistol, but be sure to run either G17 mags or G19 mags with Glock +2 floor plates (and G17 mag springs) as reloads so you don't pinch/cut your hand as so many folks routinely do when trying to rapidly insert standard G19 mags.

If I were you, I'd get a GOOD holster and carefully assess how my G17 works for CCW over 6-12 weeks. If it is not a problem, I'd just acquire a second identical G17. If the grip length is a bit too long and prints easily, then either buy a G19 or get another G17 and have the grip cut-down to accept G19 mags.

duece71
10-10-11, 23:06

You can CCW a G17 without too many issues with the right clothing selection. Having said that, the G19 is likely the optimal CCW pistol in the world. It's OK to run a stock G19 mag in the pistol, but be sure to run either G17 mags or G19 mags with Glock +2 floor plates (and G17 mag springs) as reloads so you don't pinch/cut your hand as so many folks routinely do when trying to rapidly insert standard G19 mags.

If I were you, I'd get a GOOD holster and carefully assess how my G17 works for CCW over 6-12 weeks. If it is not a problem, I'd just acquire a second identical G17. If the grip length is a bit too long and prints easily, then either buy a G19 or get another G17 and have the grip cut-down to accept G19 mags.

Thank you to all for the responses, DocGKR, this sounds like great advice and just what I needed, thank you I will try your suggestions. What would you consider as a GOOD holster for the G17?? I have a light for the G17, would you carry a light mounted on the weapon for CCW?
Thanks again everyone.

Redhat
10-10-11, 23:12
I would trade the G17 for the G19 before I let go of the HP. I am also curious why you feel the HP is not suitable for CCW as well, especially since you said it has been very reliable.

I have a G19 and like it very much but I also sold a HP years ago and have regretted it since.

Good luck with your decision.

tuck
10-10-11, 23:23
I would trade the G17 for the G19 before I let go of the HP.

Me too. Glocks are everywhere and easily replaced. Trade the 17 in on a 19 and call it a day.

duece71
10-10-11, 23:47
I would trade the G17 for the G19 before I let go of the HP. I am also curious why you feel the HP is not suitable for CCW as well, especially since you said it has been very reliable.

I have a G19 and like it very much but I also sold a HP years ago and have regretted it since.

Good luck with your decision.

My particular HP has the adjustable rear sight. It could easily snag on clothing etc... If I had an HP with standard 3 dot or night sights, it may work. Full size pistols can be for CCW, just not as good as those more suited for the purpose....G19 (or smaller if thats your fancy). CCW is what I am looking for right now. My HP would not work for that.
I may look into swaping the G17 for a G19. I have a strange feeling I may end up with both and keep the HP as it is in its current role.

TriviaMonster
10-10-11, 23:52
That's funny this thread popped up. I was in my lgs today and saw a gorgeous HP and thought really hard about buying it. Funny thing is that I was there to look at a g19. Huh, should have gotten that HP. It was an older one, never fired either. Keep the HP, shoot it more, love it more, trade the 17 for a 19 and get the plus two floorplates. Call it good.

-Chris-

okie john
10-11-11, 00:22
BHP's are nice, but I'm considering selling mine because I could get close to 1.75 Glocks for what it would bring.

Okie John

Failure2Stop
10-11-11, 01:40

This, in my opinon, is the best advice; and you can hang onto that HP if you are really attached to it.
Personally, I would turn the HP into a good holster, a few quick mods to the 19 or 17, and a lot of ammo.

scootle
10-11-11, 04:34
Unless you are dying for the cash... and/or have a bias against shooting a nice SA trigger, all-metal pistol at the range once a while, I can't imagine why you'd want to sell or trade the Browning HiPower in good condition?

Sure, I don't think anyone would argue that the Glocks in all flavors are one the go-to options for service weapons, so I don't think there would be much else to say there on that front.

I am of the opinion the manual of arms for things like 1911s (and the Browning HP, among others) is a bit more complex than the Glock-type pistols... but this depends on personal experience and/or training, obviously. That said, I don't think many weapon systems out there field-strip faster than a Glock! ;)

(Just for the record, I own a couple of Glocks and a 1911 in 9mm, but run an M&P9 as my go-to weapon system)

1oldgrunt
10-11-11, 08:01
Let me start off saying I'm an old fart have owned and carried most popular forms of handguns I grew up on the 1911 and Hi Power...NOW that said...... Loose the HP.
Yes it feels good in the hand, it can be made to have a nice trigger but it is a weak design( older slides crack too easily), has NO reset to speak off, is really a mid-cap vs a hicap and for what you can now get for it ....you can buy a g19 and 2 cases of ammo!

The G19 is impervious to rust ( if you carry you will sweat a blued HP will not remain pristine very long), The HP has too many sharp edges to gouge yourself with ( G19 is slick and rounded), The g19 holds more rounds with a G17 mag backup you're more than well armed.

While I love the HP it's time has come and gone.

Also think about this, you carry both, you get used to just grabbing that G17 and popping the trigger what happens "IF" something bad happens, your adrenaline dumps, you're sweating bricks, stomach is dropping.... what IF you forget to swipe that HP's safety off!?
Don't talk to me about training and all that as I have SEEN it happen and heard of it happening multiple times with say a M92 ( I use to train semi professionals). Stick with a g17 / g19 combo it will serve you well.

Best of luck whichever way you go, stay safe.

JonInWA
10-11-11, 08:29
I have both a Hi-Power (a current Mk III in .40) and a Gen 3 G19. While I tremendously enjoy the Hi-Power, mine also is relatively rarely used/carried.

The Glock is simply a more modern, more ergonomic, more durable and easier to use and maintain firearm.

That said, there's still much to admire in a nice Hi-Power, and it's still a viable defensive weapon. If you like it, and have any sort of attachment to it, I'd keep it. Otherwise, I'd take DocGKR's advice if it's just occupying space in your safe-that would give you a new tool that you're more likely to use, and someone else a chance to experience and enjoy the Hi-Power.

Also, with a good holster (and you actually don't necessarily have to spend a ton of money) the G17 is very much a viable concealed carry gun. I've had excellent results, for example, with a Blade-Tech IWB holster-and Glock's own inexpensive Sport/Combat holster.

Best, Jon

Jake'sDad
10-11-11, 09:47

Best advice in the thread.

Unless finances will absolutely keep you from just acquiring a more "practical" carry piece, hang on to that HP. While I appreciate the valid, practical advice given, it's the classic, but "impractical" guns I sold years ago, that I miss most, and they are the hardest and most expensive to replace.

I got bored shooting Bullseye, so I sold my wadcutter guns, (model 52, Colt NM, Clark Longslide) to get more into IPSC. I never could shoot Colt revolvers well, so I sold my Pythons and Diamondbacks for $250-400 each to fund PPC guns. WWII 1911's were cheap, might as well get rid of most of the ones I bought for $200-300 each. 03's, carbines, and Garands were a dime a dozen, so I sold my small collection off, when they went up to "astronomical" prices of $500-600 bucks each.

I tell myself inflation has just made those old guns seem like they were so cheap, but I still enjoy the ones I kept from those days, a lot more than the ones I'm reacquiring at today's prices.

jmlshooter
10-11-11, 11:50
I would keep the Hi-Power in the safe. I have had a 9mm Practical for probably 17 years. Replaced the firing pin spring and the recoil spring. I HAVE found that the pistol is extremely magazine sensitive, and I've had to ditch the original two.

I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER NEVER carry the Browning Hi-Power.

One, the gun is just not as reliable as the Glock 17 or 19 (Gen 3, of course).

Two, I'm sure you've shot 200-300 rounds through it, but have you ever shot 200-300 rounds through it in ONE range trip? Mine turns my hand into hamburger. Just shreds my ass ... hammer, slide ... doesn't matter. In my opinion, there is just no good, comfortable way to shoot this gun over a long period of time without radical modifications. That has been my experience.

Three, the manual safety sucks. It just kind of ROOOOLLS over into safe and off safe. It ain't a 1911-type operation. Plus, if you ride it during firing like a 1911, your hand WILL be mincemeat.

Four, the gun is just shaped weird. Huge grip. Narrow slide. Very top heavy when you're carrying it muzzle-down IWB or OWB. Just awkward.

That said, the gun is scary accurate, bone-stock, with fixed sights. I can offhand 3" groups in a headbox at 25 yards, and I'm just okay. The accuracy is not a fair trade-off for the hassle.

Like many, I've shot since I was a little boy. When I was introduced to Glocks, I hated them. I was raised on 1911's and Hi-Powers.

WHEN YOU LEARN TO RUN A GLOCK, YOU WON'T EVER WANT ANYTHING ELSE AGAIN.

Give the 17 a chance and really get after it. That's my $0.02.

Omega Man
10-11-11, 12:30
Im not sentimental, when it comes to pistols, so i wouldn't hesitate to sell the HP and get a G19. I have sold all my Sig's, HK's & 1911's. Glock's are pretty much it, for serious use, imo.

DocGKR
10-11-11, 13:03
For me, firearms are tools--if a better tool comes along, I switch. A 9 mm Glock is a more reliable, durable, and easier maintained tool to defend my life than an HP. Period.

duece71--In addition to a ubiquitous hand held SF light, I run an x300 on the pistol if I am spending a lot of time in darkness or dim lit locations. Otherwise for routine urban/suburban self-defense I carry the pistol slick and just work with the hand held light.

CCW holsters that have worked best for me include:

IWB/AIWB--Fricke Archangel/Seraphim, CCC Looper, RCS Phantom, Milt Sparks Heritage #1.
OWB--Fricke Gideon Elite, RCS Phantom, Comp-tac belt holster, Safariland 6377, Alessi DOJ open port, Kramer vertical scabbard.

Keep in mind you will have to try a few before you find what works for your body shape and sartorial style.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Glocks get the following:

-- Better sights: For irons usually Trijicon HD, Warren, or Ameriglo 3-dot with bright green front and dim yellow back, although recently I've been using a RMR02 with suppressor height BIS.

-- Vickers mag catch

-- Vickers slide release

-- Scherer "slug" butt plug

-- Stipple frame

-- Glock "-" connector with stock trigger return spring

-- Glock smooth trigger if not OEM installed (typically needs replacement on G19's)

-- Maritime spring cups if any use around water is anticipated

-- Grip Force Adapters, especially on G17's.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7655&filename=Glocks%20GFA.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6158/6153824627_0a52e0268b_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6160/6170873511_1293a133fe_z.jpg

One last thing, for years I have preferred the G19's versatility over the G17; however, in terms of pure shootability the G17 is a better pistol.

Magic_Salad0892
10-11-11, 13:24
in terms of pure shootability the G17 is a better pistol.

I humbly disagree, my friend. :)

I used to use exclusively G17s. I changed, and now I shoot better.

The smaller size lends itself to better control, IMHO.

Heavy Metal
10-11-11, 13:42
I gotta agree with the Doc.

The 17 starts to leave the 19 behind when you get beyond 15 yards. The 17 is a tad more controable and fits my hand better.

The 19 is more concealable and almost as functional as the 17.

Were I carrying externally on a pistol belt, I would take the 17 every time however.

DocGKR
10-11-11, 13:56
Since the Pat McNamara class this summer (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=84232), I have been doing a lot of 25-50 yd bullseye shooting, as well as fast shot strings up close. At first I thought the G19 and G17 were nearly equal in accuracy and ease of shooting, but in aggregate my G19 scores and times have consistently been about 5-10% below those when I shoot a G17. This didn't make a lot of sense to me, since I am running RDS's and sight radius is not an issue, not to mention I have a lot more rounds downrange out of G19's. During the Defoor class last month (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=88982) I asked Kyle about this, he stated that this mirrors his personal experience and what he has observed while training thousands of students--the G19 typically scores about 10-15% less than the G17 when shooting for accuracy and time. It is not just sight radius, since even with the GFA, the grip shape is subtly different between the two pistols. In addition, the recoil impulse is not the same.

titsonritz
10-11-11, 16:36
[b]-- Scherer "slug" butt plug

I get the rest, but why the butt plug?

okie john
10-11-11, 16:57
...but in aggregate my G19 scores and times have consistently been about 5-10% below those when I shoot a G17.

So lemme get this straight... you shoot better and faster with the G17 than with the G19? Or is it the other way around?

Okie John

DocGKR
10-11-11, 16:59
Okie John--In general, the G17 has a slightly faster time and better score.

titsonritz--Keeps out debris and aids reloading.

okie john
10-11-11, 17:02
Okie John--In general, the G17 has a slightly faster time and better score.

titsonritz--Keeps out debris and aids reloading.

I thought that's what you meant. Thanks.

Okie John

tpd223
10-11-11, 17:46

If it were me, I'd do ^This^ Doc gives good advice.

"The mission drives the gear train". What is the mission of your HP?

If it's just an old school cool gun that you own and shoot sometimes for fun, nothing wrong with that, if you can afford to keep it and still get the gear you need to cover your carry and training needs.

Good leather makes a huge difference in how much pistol you can carry. I'm 6'2" and about 250lbs, I can carry a G17 IWB while wearing cargo shorts and a T-shirt during the summer, with only minimal worries about printing.
With the same carry mode and dress my G19 positively disappears, so much so that gun guys who know me think something is really wrong because they think I have left the house unarmed.

I consider the HP to be in the same catagory as the 1911, nice to have, doesn't fit my needs though.

The Glocks are more durable, more reliable, far more rust proof for the most part, and cheaper to keep running in the long term.

BWW
10-11-11, 18:00
DocGKR, wonder if you could expand on the rmr. Has presbyopia set in. Do you wear contacts or are the oakley's prescription. Or is this something your evaluating vs. irons. Thanks for this and also all the great info you post. BWW

KhanRad
10-11-11, 18:06
As others have said, if you are not required to use the HP, then there are far better options for a defensive pistol. If the HP is a collector's piece, then by all means keep it if you like and make it a safe queen which only stretches her legs on special occasions.

Many officers are bound by the limitations placed on them by their agency. For instance, I am required to carry Sigs, so I make the most of a mediocre situation. Glock, M&P, or HK would be superior choices that I would jump on if I were given the green light.

BigBen66
10-11-11, 18:16
I have both. They each have their own purpose.I love both of them. HP is a open carry holster gun. 19 CCW. If the grip is a little small, slip on a Hogue grip, helped me with my 19.

warpedcamshaft
10-11-11, 19:22
All,
I have a Browning Hi Power, blued, wood grips, adjustable rear sight. I love the pistol, shoots very well, never an FTE or FTF. Finish is approximately 80-85% with no holster wear, just minor blems and scratches on the slide and frame. All mags are factory (even a nickel one). I am not realy sure what I want to do with the gun. It sits in the safe and comes out once in a while for 2-300 rounds, gets cleaned and goes back into the safe. I can't carry it for concealed carry very well and therefore have been looking at swaping (selling) it out for a Glock 19.
The Glock would serve as a concealled carry pistol. I have a Glock 17 but again I am looking to carry concealled so I have somewhat ruled it out for carry. I have shot the Glock 19 and although I found the grip to be a little small for my hands (why I went with the G17 instead) I am revisiting it as a carry pistol.
I am looking for some opinions, good or bad and any comments about what you would do in my shoes.
Thanks.

If you already have the Glock 17, owning a Glock 19 makes a lot of sense. (One full size, one compact/CCW) The training, magazine, and parts commonality is a great way to go.

My practice with the G17 translates well to smaller sized Glocks, and I would agree with those saying that the G17 holds an edge in pure shoot-ability. However, the size difference is significant if you are trying to conceal in certain clothing. The Glock compacts are a pretty good compromise overall.

DocGKR
10-11-11, 19:45
BWW--As noted in the third post here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887:

"There has recently been quite a bit of interest in mounting mini RDS on duty and CCW handgun slides......Over the past 18 months we have been experimenting with small slide mounted RDS and find they can be quite useful......If I still had perfect vision, I might consider staying with iron sights due to the speed advantage; however, given the vision changes following my bicycle accident induced basilar skull fracture 2 years ago, as well as the onset of middle-age presbyopia, I personally NEVER want to go back to irons."

duece71
10-11-11, 20:03
All,
Thank you again for all of your responses. You have been a great help and this website is excellent for that.
I think at this point in time, I am going to keep the HP and buy the G19 anyway. Warpedcamshaft said some good stuff, I already have a G17, a G19 would be an excellent complement and the commonality works for me.
DocGKR, thank you for all of your advise and some very nice Glocks you have! I will try out some holsters for the G17 without the light and try some holsters for the G19 when I finally get it.
I am looking for a nice CCW pistol and I feel that the G19 definately fits that bill.

duece71
10-11-11, 20:06
For me, firearms are tools--if a better tool comes along, I switch. A 9 mm Glock is a more reliable, durable, and easier maintained tool to defend my life than an HP. Period.

duece71--In addition to a ubiquitous hand held SF light, I run an x300 on the pistol if I am spending a lot of time in darkness or dim lit locations. Otherwise for routine urban/suburban self-defense I carry the pistol slick and just work with the hand held light.

CCW holsters that have worked best for me include:

IWB/AIWB--Fricke Archangel/Seraphim, CCC Looper, RCS Phantom, Milt Sparks Heritage #1.
OWB--Fricke Gideon Elite, RCS Phantom, Comp-tac belt holster, Safariland 6377, Alessi DOJ open port, Kramer vertical scabbard.

Keep in mind you will have to try a few before you find what works for your body shape and sartorial style.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Glocks get the following:

-- Better sights: For irons usually Trijicon HD, Warren, or Ameriglo 3-dot with bright green front and dim yellow back, although recently I've been using a RMR02 with suppressor height BIS.

-- Vickers mag catch

-- Vickers slide release

-- Scherer "slug" butt plug

-- Stipple frame

-- Glock "-" connector with stock trigger return spring

-- Glock smooth trigger if not OEM installed (typically needs replacement on G19's)

-- Maritime spring cups if any use around water is anticipated

-- Grip Force Adapters, especially on G17's.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7655&filename=Glocks%20GFA.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6158/6153824627_0a52e0268b_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6160/6170873511_1293a133fe_z.jpg

One last thing, for years I have preferred the G19's versatility over the G17; however, in terms of pure shootability the G17 is a better pistol.

Of the 2 Glocks, did you do the frame grip enhancements yourself?? Thank you for elaborating on the "extras" that are on each Glock, something for me to ponder for another day.

DocGKR
10-11-11, 20:23
Simple soldering iron and an hour of my time to stipple.

Just purchase G17 holsters for both pistols, as they are more versatile and will work for both your G17, as well as your G19 without any problems...

Heavy Metal
10-11-11, 20:29
Doc,

Not to derail this thread further but it would be interesting to take this train of thought to its ultimate destination and compare the 19 to a G-34 for time and distance.

I shot someone elses G-34 at LAV's Adv Pistol class last month at Moyock and with the fiber optic sights, softer impluse, - connector and longer sight radus, it almost felt like I was cheating compared to my G-19. I loved it. I want to get one but am afraid it is almost too good and I would start to lean on it like a crutch when it is my G-19 I carry and need to maximize my skills with.

I don't consider the G-34 a viable combat pistol because of the long slide and the hole in the top of it but it might help investigate this phenomenon as an 'exaggerated' G-17.

xcibes
10-11-11, 20:46
Wait a minute, the G34 is 207mm long while the 1911 is 210mm long, so the G34 is too long to be a combat pistol?

In any case, as for the OP..kind of beatinbg a dead horse here but I would carry the G17 for a while as was suggested earlier. Why spend the extra mponey unless you absolutely have to?

Heavy Metal
10-11-11, 20:49
No, that is just a factor. The deal-killer is the hole in the slide.

I assume that hole is to lighten the slide to mimic the slide weight of a G-17 and to accomidate ported barrels.

Lets be honest, the 34 and 35 are Glocks gamer guns and I think it was created to get around slide-length stipulations in IDPA that DQed the G-17 longslide.

xcibes
10-11-11, 21:11
I can see how that big hole could casue problems under certain conditions. I'll grant you that.

charmcitycop
10-13-11, 10:39

Beat Trash
10-13-11, 12:53
The first 9mm I bought in the late 1980's was a Hi Power with a factory adjustable rear sight. It was my Hi-Cap 9mm until I went to the Academy in 1993.

It's ok to own a hobby gun or a range toy. It's ok to keep a gun because of sentimental value, or because you still enjoy shooting it occasionally.

But if I had to chose between the Hi Power or the Glock 19 for a daily carry gun, one that I would be training with constantly, to me it's a "no brainer".

The Hi Power was a great gun for it's time. I think that time has past. The Glock 19 brings too much to the table that the Hi Power can not.

If money is tight, or if your gun is only a tool, then by all means, sell off the Hi Power and go with the Glock 19.

samuse
10-13-11, 22:19
I carried a Hi Power for about a year.

They carry nice IWB because they are very slim. They do get a little heavy though.

I had a couple of MK-III Hi Powers and they were as reliable as any Glock I've ever owned but they did not get the round count of my Glocks. I put maybe 1,500-2,000 rounds through one of 'em.

They are easy to shoot until you try to bring speed into the equation.

If you get your grip a little too high, the hammer will mercilessly attack the web of your hand.

It's pretty easy to touch the dustcover on the slide stop and induce premature slide-locks or fail to lock on empty.

The thumb safety is awkward, even with the extended MK-III levers.

Reloading the gun is dicey. Get a mag going in a little crooked and it comes to a screeching halt, requiring you to rip the mag out and jam it back in. I found that reloads are easier with a single stack 1911 sans a magwell.

I still have one just because I like the gun but I truly think the design and relevance of the Hi Power has been totally eclipsed by the Glock 19.

spamsammich
10-14-11, 10:56

Two, I'm sure you've shot 200-300 rounds through it, but have you ever shot 200-300 rounds through it in ONE range trip? Mine turns my hand into hamburger. Just shreds my ass ... hammer, slide ... doesn't matter. In my opinion, there is just no good, comfortable way to shoot this gun over a long period of time without radical modifications. That has been my experience.

Three, the manual safety sucks. It just kind of ROOOOLLS over into safe and off safe. It ain't a 1911-type operation. Plus, if you ride it during firing like a 1911, your hand WILL be mincemeat...

I saw this happen to a guy shooting next to me during the first day of a two day defensive handgun class. Total round count for the first day was only around 200 and he showed up the next day with a newly purchased G19 in a Bladetech holster. He complained that the HP was getting a little confusing to run, he kept forgetting to work the safety before holstering or sweeping it when he drew. His hands were pretty damned beat up and actually drew blood.

duece71
10-15-11, 14:09
All,
After reading another thread about the problems with the Gen 4 Glocks, I went to my local GS and they had a brand spanking new Gen 3 G19 in stock. I purchased it, went to the range with 300 rounds and was very happy with the result.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k581/doose1/GlockG191.jpg
It ran flawlessly with all ammo and magazines. I used the 2 G19 15 rounders and some G17 17 rounders for the session. Great pistol and I am sure it will fulfill my CC needs. Now for more mags, better sights, and an IWB holster.
Thanks to all for your help, the Hi Power is safe and sound in the safe........for now.

tuck
10-15-11, 17:01
Glad you found a setup that works for you.

If your looking for a IWB holster, check this guy out:

Cleveland's Holsters (http://clevelandsholsters.com/)

Redhat
10-15-11, 17:52
I saw this happen to a guy shooting next to me during the first day of a two day defensive handgun class. Total round count for the first day was only around 200 and he showed up the next day with a newly purchased G19 in a Bladetech holster. He complained that the HP was getting a little confusing to run, he kept forgetting to work the safety before holstering or sweeping it when he drew. His hands were pretty damned beat up and actually drew blood.

Can this guy drive a car? Sounds like he was inexperienced and maybe this was his first time out with the gun.

Quentin
10-15-11, 18:25
Glad to hear you're keeping the HP, carry the Glocks but hang on to a HP. I'd really have to be hurting to sell mine. Otherwise there's room in the safe. My Glocks are never in the safe.

Chimbarazo
10-16-11, 21:21
This thread certainly strikes a chord with me, as I once owned several Glocks, the 34 being the one I was most interested in. Now they are all gone, and I am quite committed to the BHP and practice with it all the time. For me they are the best combination of accuracy, capacity, reliability and ease of carry (the Glocks always felt like a short length of 2x4). To that add a rich layer of history and worldwide usage for generations, and the BHP is just right.

spamsammich
10-17-11, 01:15
Can this guy drive a car? Sounds like he was inexperienced and maybe this was his first time out with the gun.

He was an older gentleman, very new to shooting and instruction. He had a very difficult time during the course.